Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #136
HollyMac71
Sucks to have a dull life!

Definately get there a day ahead so you can unpack and get adjust to the time change. I arrived around Noon on Saturday and our room was ready. There is a lot to see around the hotel (Hollywood Walk of Fame, stores, people watching etc...)

The farmers market is soooo much fun. So much to see and taste!

Make sure you have comfy shoes because you will do a lot of walking also.
HollyMac71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #137
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader92 View Post
Is anyone else planning to spend a night or two before ABD? Are you staying at the renaissance? What do you do about the transfer then? Is it worth to spend a night before in Hollywood?
We are going to try and fly out the day before, I would hate to risk and delayed or canceled flight on missing the beginning of the trip.

We will probably not stay at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. We are already breaking our budget for this trip, so need to save where we can. We recently (two weeks ago) stayed at the Marriot LAX for $98 a night, and it was a VERY nice hotel, so we might try the same. We were thinking of doing a studio tour on Sunday morning before transferring to the Hollywood Hotel. (Am I the only one that keeps thinking I shouldn't use the elevators there?)

Does any know the answer to this...if we were to get back to LAX on Sunday, could we still get an ABD transfer to the hotel? Or will they only do that if you have a flight that day? My thought is if we stay at the Marriot LAX, it is so easy to get back to the airport, and then we could still catch a ABD transfer, I don't know why they wouldn't allow it.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #138
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Does any know the answer to this...if we were to get back to LAX on Sunday, could we still get an ABD transfer to the hotel? Or will they only do that if you have a flight that day? My thought is if we stay at the Marriot LAX, it is so easy to get back to the airport, and then we could still catch a ABD transfer, I don't know why they wouldn't allow it.
The answer to your question is yes!

I have guests that do this on every trip. John and I have rented a car at the airport and returned it at the airport and taken the ABD shuttle back to the hotel.

Keep in mind that there is a very specific time and location for this type of transfer. Typical transfers are there when your flight arrives. THis type of transfer has one departure point and time.

If you would like to set up this transfer, just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com and I can give you the info on how to do this.

This is not something that needs to be done immediately. Unfortunately, we have some time to wait.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #139
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
The answer to your question is yes!

I have guests that do this on every trip. John and I have rented a car at the airport and returned it at the airport and taken the ABD shuttle back to the hotel.

Keep in mind that there is a very specific time and location for this type of transfer. Typical transfers are there when your flight arrives. THis type of transfer has one departure point and time.

If you would like to set up this transfer, just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com and I can give you the info on how to do this.

This is not something that needs to be done immediately. Unfortunately, we have some time to wait.
Thanks Kevin for the fast reply. I would be totally understanding to be on ABDs schedule for something like this. I wouldn't want to set it up until we have our flight booked, though, which might be a little while yet. I will contact you when we are sure of our plans. As you say...we have a while to go yet.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #140
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Please welcome Lisa and John to our crazy Adventure!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #141
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Quote:

woo whoo!

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #142
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Welcome!!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #143
Lee Disney
Mouseketeer

Smile

Hi Everyone!

I'm super excited about this trip as I have been wanting to go badly for several years. This is our (me and husband John's) first ABD trip but our 2nd Disneyland trip with the first being in 2004. We are from New England but have relocated to Central Florida and just love it here. We were on PCC 2.0 and 3.0. We are booked on 4.0 as well but think we will be canceling since our son will be in the midst of mid terms that can not be made up. Since we live near by - we are up for any Disney World meets that come about. Can't wait to meet you all and share an incredible adventure!

Lisa
Lee Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #144
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Disney View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm super excited about this trip as I have been wanting to go badly for several years. This is our (me and husband John's) first ABD trip but our 2nd Disneyland trip with the first being in 2004. We are from New England but have relocated to Central Florida and just love it here. We were on PCC 2.0 and 3.0. We are booked on 4.0 as well but think we will be canceling since our son will be in the midst of mid terms that can not be made up. Since we live near by - we are up for any Disney World meets that come about. Can't wait to meet you all and share an incredible adventure!

Lisa
Lisa - You and John are going to have a really fun time on this trip. You'll see so much Disney stuff you'll explode. And you just might see a smile on Johns face at times.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #145
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Please welcome Mandy and Phillip to our Adventure!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #146
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please welcome Mandy and Phillip to our Adventure!

Welcome!!!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #147
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Welcome everyone! I have been listening to the DIsneyland podcast more regularly & it gets me excited for our trip!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #148
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader92 View Post
Out of curiosity to everyone how are you going to be doing your before ABD itinerary. We are hoping to fly southwest into lax the day of but it looks like (for the time being) the earliest flight gets us in at 1:45 which I believe makes us miss the transfers from the airport to the hotel (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we are debating about spending a night before in Hollywood.

Is anyone else planning to spend a night or two before ABD? Are you staying at the renaissance? What do you do about the transfer then? Is it worth to spend a night before in Hollywood?

I'd love to go out the day before to see some sights and especially forest lawn.
Hey there

Firstly - welcome to all the recent new travellers - looking forward to meetin you all.

Darthvader 92 - We (my sister Christine and I) are arriving the day before and staying at the Renaissance, this seemed to be the easiest option rather than risking delayed flights etc.

We are hoping to go off to explore maybe Farmers Market during that time as well as shopping maybe then more shopping

Actually Christine has mentioned Forest Lawn. Have to suss out how far away and transport etc and decide what is more doable.

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #149
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

OK - what's the big deal about the Farmer's Market? Seems like everyone wants to go there. I mean, Farmer's Markets are nice and all, but is there any attraction besides shopping? I certainly won't be interested in picking up any fresh meat or produce. Anything unique about it beyond other Farmer's Markets? I went to the website and I don't get why I would want to spend my one day of free time there vs a studio tour or say Griffith Park or the beach or something uniquely LA. What am I missing?

Maybe its growing up in the Northeast and going to Farmer's Markets regularly as a kid and being bored silly at them. I admit we went to one in Melbourne, Australia recently and it was slightly interesting, but we used it to buy souvenirs for friends and family back home, and even then I had had enough after an hour.

Pete

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #150
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
OK - what's the big deal about the Farmer's Market? Seems like everyone wants to go there. I mean, Farmer's Markets are nice and all, but is there any attraction besides shopping? I certainly won't be interested in picking up any fresh meat or produce. Anything unique about it beyond other Farmer's Markets? I went to the website and I don't get why I would want to spend my one day of free time there vs a studio tour or say Griffith Park or the beach or something uniquely LA. What am I missing?

Maybe its growing up in the Northeast and going to Farmer's Markets regularly as a kid and being bored silly at them. I admit we went to one in Melbourne, Australia recently and it was slightly interesting, but we used it to buy souvenirs for friends and family back home, and even then I had had enough after an hour.

Pete
Let me start by saying that the LA Farmer's Market is our favorite thing to do while in Los Angeles.

The FM is not your average vegetable stand. It's been in business since the 1930's. If you are an I Love Lucy fan, they mention visiting DuPar's restaurant. It's been a fixture at the FM since the beginning. History says this was where James Dean ate just before his auto accident, which killed him.

You can tell be the way it's built, that this was not the original plan. It's obvious that the buildings are additions to additions to additions.

At the FM, you will find every type and variety of food imaginable. John and I think Magee's makes and sells the best corned beef sandwich anywhere...including NYC. Bob's Donuts makes fresh donuts all day. We try to visit both of these places as many times as our schedule will allow.

There is great French gourmet food shop (they ship) and many small shops selling unique stuff. There is also a fruit and veggie section, as well as butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

We mainly go for the atmosphere and the food vendors. We love the Farmer's Market.

Also, in recent years, they have added the Grove to the FM. This is an outdoor mall and has stores you would find in most cities. There are some cool features. There is a trolley that runs the length of the shopping area and there are restaurants and cafes all along the way.

If you have young girls or know young girls, I'm sure you have heard of the American Girl stores. There is an American Girl store and cafe at the Grove.

The Grove's other claim to fame is that it's where famous people get "caught" shopping amongst the common folk. I find it hard to believe they are "caught" when they are in full hair and makeup....but who am I to judge.

If after reading this you still think this would bore you, then you are absolutely correct in skipping this and going on a studio tour.

There is something for everyone.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: