Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

So, I'm only 51, that's right 51 Days away!!!!

And my mother-in-law calls me Wednesday to see how much she would lose if she needed to cancel

Her brother(DHs uncle, obviously) who lives about 2 hours away, had surgery a couple of weeks ago to remove something cancerous from his bladder He will be having another scan on Sept 10, and if they find it has grown back or spread, he will need to start chemo, and they said they would send him to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. She wouldn't be able to go away and enjoy herself if this is taking place while we are away. Totally understandable. Also, she is a retired nurse and would more than likely be at his side during this. He is her only sibling and they are very close.

We don't know how quickly any of this will take place after the 10th(only 13 days before our trip), if they even find anything at all. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that he's clean and they will be going with us. She will lose her return airfare (flights there were booked on SW with points, so not worried about those), and they'll possibly lose their $200 deposit on their package. She will wait til they know for sure in Sept.

I asked DH what he would want to do if they don't go, and he said we should go anyway since we would lose close to $900 (return flights x 4, plus package deposit, plus MNSSHP tix).

We'll just keep hoping and praying he is ok.

Anyways, onto happier topics. For the Saturday night of our trip (the 29th), we have a possible Ohana res for 8 ppl, if we spend that night with our friends that live there. When I booked it, I didn't think about our friends parents, who are MILs former neighbors for over 30 years, so we were 2 ppl short. I figured I'd never be able to get a res for 10, so I'd just let the boys go to WPE then Quest, BUT, last night I was messing around with the dining reservation site and found a res for 10ppl at 5:20!!!! A little earlier than I'd like, but I'm shocked there was anything at all for that many ppl. Not even sure how this night will even work out, if we'll even see these people, but at least now I'm covered. DH will probably contact her in the next two weeks to let them know we are coming, and hopefully plan a time to visit.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)

Last edited by lurkernj; 08-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #47
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
She wouldn't be able to go away and enjoy herself if this is taking place while we are away. Totally understandable. Also, she is a retired nurse and would more than likely be at his side during this.
And he will be glad to have her; chemo is a pain, just about everyone brings along someone to hang out with even if they don't need help. I'm glad your MIL can be there for him, but I so hope it doesn't come to that!

Quote:
I asked DH what he would want to do if they don't go, and he said we should go anyway since we would lose close to $900 (return flights x 4, plus package deposit, plus MNSSHP tix).
I expect that's what your MIL and hubby's uncle would want, anyhow. But, oh, what a bummer. Joining you in hoping and praying that the surgery was effective.

Quote:
around with the dining reservation site and found a res for 10ppl at 5:20!!!!

There's a thread going in the Dining Board right now on whether people can get ADRs at the last minute (i.e., a day or two ahead of time/morning of), and there are some interesting stories in there and in the dining review thread someone linked to from there that I'm slowly toddling through. No one yet has pointed out that most of the success stories are small parties, though (I keep thinking about it ), and Ohana's remains on the list of, "If you want it, better make the reservation" restaurants.

So congrats! Hope everyone makes it to that and you have a great time.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #48
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
And he will be glad to have her; chemo is a pain, just about everyone brings along someone to hang out with even if they don't need help. I'm glad your MIL can be there for him, but I so hope it doesn't come to that! Yes, I'm sure he'll be glad to have her there. He does have a wife too, who will also be there, but with MIL being a former nurse, it's a help to us all (a pain for the Drs, but good for us)

I expect that's what your MIL and hubby's uncle would want, anyhow. But, oh, what a bummer. Joining you in hoping and praying that the surgery was effective Thanks!

There's a thread going in the Dining Board right now on whether people can get ADRs at the last minute (i.e., a day or two ahead of time/morning of), and there are some interesting stories in there and in the dining review thread someone linked to from there that I'm slowly toddling through. No one yet has pointed out that most of the success stories are small parties, though (I keep thinking about it ), and Ohana's remains on the list of, "If you want it, better make the reservation" restaurants.

So congrats! Hope everyone makes it to that and you have a great time.
I couldn't believe that I got this res this close!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #49
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
So, I'm only 51, that's right 51 Days away!!!!

And my mother-in-law calls me Wednesday to see how much she would lose if she needed to cancel

Her brother(DHs uncle, obviously) who lives about 2 hours away, had surgery a couple of weeks ago to remove something cancerous from his bladder He will be having another scan on Sept 10, and if they find it has grown back or spread, he will need to start chemo, and they said they would send him to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. She wouldn't be able to go away and enjoy herself if this is taking place while we are away. Totally understandable. Also, she is a retired nurse and would more than likely be at his side during this. He is her only sibling and they are very close.

We don't know how quickly any of this will take place after the 10th(only 13 days before our trip), if they even find anything at all. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that he's clean and they will be going with us. She will lose her return airfare (flights there were booked on SW with points, so not worried about those), and they'll possibly lose their $200 deposit on their package. She will wait til they know for sure in Sept.

We'll just keep hoping and praying he is ok.

Anyways, onto happier topics. For the Saturday night of our trip (the 29th), we have a possible Ohana res for 8 ppl, if we spend that night with our friends that live there. When I booked it, I didn't think about our friends parents, who are MILs former neighbors for over 30 years, so we were 2 ppl short. I figured I'd never be able to get a res for 10, so I'd just let the boys go to WPE then Quest, BUT, last night I was messing around with the dining reservation site and found a res for 10ppl at 5:20!!!! A little earlier than I'd like, but I'm shocked there was anything at all for that many ppl. Not even sure how this night will even work out, if we'll even see these people, but at least now I'm covered. DH will probably contact her in the next two weeks to let them know we are coming, and hopefully plan a time to visit.
So sorry to hear about your DH's uncle. I said a prayer for him and your family.

And let me just say HOLY MOLY! How did you score Ohana for 8? Go you!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #50
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I'm back! Only 47 more days to go

Let's see, I'm starting my packing list, which isn't very long yet, so I won't post it. I generally don't put shorts, underwear, socks on there, as that's a given. I see some of these lists people post on the boards and I'm simply amazed. How do you fit it all in your suitcases?? I suppose if you're driving, you have more space

I've been working out a separate plan for if MIL cancels. Just a few modifications like where I would dine when alone. I was thinking I would cancel Whispering canyon and make a Narcoosee's reservation. I would have our original 4 credits for Whispering Canyon, plus the 4 I was going to use with MIL before the guys got there, giving me 8 credits. But, I was thinking to just use 6 credits at Narcoosees, having the boys split the surf/turf (one likes steak, and the other likes lobster), and order a Mickey mac/cheese, and a separate dessert to supplement. Me and DS11 did this the year we went alone and it worked out great. I know the steak portion is small, but he could have most of mine too.

This would give me 2 credits to use alone. I was thinking of either Liberty tree lunch, or Ohana dinner (if we don't see our friends on Saturday) on my MK day. Then keep Boma on my DHS day. and not have a TS on my Epcot 1/2 day, just counter service, which would be better anyway since I won't have much Epcot time. I won't cancel anything with them until I know for sure what their plan is, but I was thinking to add a couple of things just in case.

There is currently not a res open for Narcoosees, but I'll keep trying and just make it when I see it, then cancel which ever one we aren't going to use once MIL knows what she is going to do.

Well, if nothing else, it gives me something trip related to do. It's always extremely satisfying to get a res on short notice.

Oh, and I get to pay my balance off on Thursday Actually, I might do it today since my credit card statement ended Sunday, so it doesn't really matter if I do it today or Thursday.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
So sorry to hear about your DH's uncle. I said a prayer for him and your family. Thanks

And let me just say HOLY MOLY! How did you score Ohana for 8? Go you!
Actually it was 10!!!! I know, I was shocked!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #52
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Actually it was 10!!!! I know, I was shocked!!!!
10? I must have read wrong. This is for you:

Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #53
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I generally don't put shorts, underwear, socks on there, as that's a given.
I had to put them on the list when I started doing lists for my kids when they were old enough to pick out their own outfits -- apparently, not so much a given as I thought. Mind you, my eldest will go without shoes if she can get away with it.

Quote:
I see some of these lists people post on the boards and I'm simply amazed.
Ditto, but the ones that really get me are the people who are on the Disney Dining Plan in the summer. Where do they put it all?

Quote:
How do you fit it all in your suitcases?? I suppose if you're driving, you have more space
I think it also depends on how many you've got in the vehicle. And how high you're willing to pile it! I read some of those lists and imagine those vans you pass sometimes where the back and some side windows are blocked, plus there are two suitcases on the rooftop. Maybe the suitcases are meant to discourage tailgating. But we travel with seven people in a seven passenger van; I expect a lot of those people do have more space.

Quote:
Oh, and I get to pay my balance off on Thursday
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #54
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

When I make my packing list, I do have to put down the obvious. I'm a list maker by nature. I have post it notes all over my dresser!!! You should see my packing list....I think it's now at 4 pages and there are 2 columns on each page!!! My DD and DS each have a page to themselves. On my last page, I have a list of things to do before we leave, what to pack in our carry-ons and park bags, etc. I like to cross things off as I pack (I only pack the day before we leave).

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #55
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
10? I must have read wrong. This is for you:
Thanks, I'm quite the ADR stalker when I want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I think it also depends on how many you've got in the vehicle. And how high you're willing to pile it! I read some of those lists and imagine those vans you pass sometimes where the back and some side windows are blocked, plus there are two suitcases on the rooftop. Maybe the suitcases are meant to discourage tailgating. But we travel with seven people in a seven passenger van; I expect a lot of those people do have more space.

Seven people in a seven passenger van That must be a fun ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
When I make my packing list, I do have to put down the obvious. I'm a list maker by nature. I have post it notes all over my dresser!!! You should see my packing list....I think it's now at 4 pages and there are 2 columns on each page!!! My DD and DS each have a page to themselves. On my last page, I have a list of things to do before we leave, what to pack in our carry-ons and park bags, etc. I like to cross things off as I pack (I only pack the day before we leave).
four pages I guess with a younger one, I could see needing a lot more stuff. I think now that we're older and the kids are older, we try to pack just one large suitcase, and each of us will pack a carryon. We even managed this last year when we went to Hawaii for two weeks (we had a washer/dryer for one of the weeks). I can definitely appreciate the art of crossing things off though. It does feel like a sense of accomplishment

Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #56
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Did you get your balance paid off yesterday?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #57
somesong2sing
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for joining in BearcatsFan!!

I know there are lurkers out there, it's ok, I'm often a lurker too.

I'm thinking DH must be thinking it's not manly to love Disney. He can pretend all he wants, I know he likes it too, maybe not as much as me, but I'm working on it.

Yeah, they don't seem to get the Disney food obsession, which is why I love the Dis.
My other half thinks hes too "Manly" for Disney too. However, I do think its boiling inside him to be just as excited as me and the kids. haha
11 I can't wait until all the hidden excitment pops out of him when we get there. He's just like a big kid anyway even though he looks like Vin Diesel! I told him to watch the movie, "The Pacifier" so he could see that even manly guys to fun things!!

Me, Dh, DS(13), DD(7)

somesong2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #58
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

44 days to go!!!!!!

I can't believe it is coming so fast now!!! I'm starting to get that feeling that I'm not doing enough to get ready, so I think this weekend I shall get moving. That broken suitcase is still sitting by the front door waiting for me to take it to see if it can be fixed. I think I'll work on my lists, and maybe even start packing the bathroom bag (advil, anti-itch stuff, shampoo, stuff we won't be using).

I haven't been able to procure the Narcoossee's backup res to replace Whispering canyon yet. It's just a back up plan, so I'm not stalking as much as I usually do. I'm still going under the assumption that MIL is still coming with us.

DH left this morning for Baltimore with the boys to go see an Orioles game with a couple of dads and their sons, so I will have peace and quiet today, tonight, and tomorrow morning I think this will be a good time to get in the attic and check out the suitcase scenario and make sure we have enough carryons for each of us with or without the broken one. I also think I'll watch a disney movie or two. Which one will it be???? Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can find a vcr that works in my house, cause I really want to see Cinderella, and only have it in VHS (til October). I always enjoyed watching the Sword in the Stone with the boys when they were little, so maybe that one. I think it's very under-rated

I'm still continuing with my running/walking regimen, trying to get into better shape. It appears that I've lost 3 lbs in the last two weeks. Not too bad, but I was hoping for more since I've exercised every day but one, plus eating quite a bit better (notice no cupcake photos lately). Seems like an aweful lot of effort for such a small result!! I just saw the newer info for the Tower of Terror 10 mile that will be going on while I'm there and I just love, love, love that medal!!! Look at it, it glows in the dark!!

I want one.

So I think I'll need to stick with the running thing so I can talk DH into going next year so I can get one. Oh, and next year it will be 2013, even better.

We were talking the other night after I read the announcement regarding the FLE opening dates, and I said I wanted to go back in 2014 when the mine train opens, and he actually said he does too He's such a fake. I know he loves Disney too. I'm guessing if I'm actually able to run 10 miles, he'd go back sooner though.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #59
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did you get your balance paid off yesterday?
I ended up doing it on Tuesday Getting so excited now! It seems so official. Then I was reading other threads where people are getting their Mickey mail around the 35-45 day mark, so I'm very much looking forward to that I even get excited when they sent me the vacation DVD, or when I get my movie club info each month, I just love getting anything Disney in the mail, but when it's trip related, it's just 10 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by somesong2sing View Post
My other half thinks hes too "Manly" for Disney too. However, I do think its boiling inside him to be just as excited as me and the kids. haha
11 I can't wait until all the hidden excitment pops out of him when we get there. He's just like a big kid anyway even though he looks like Vin Diesel! I told him to watch the movie, "The Pacifier" so he could see that even manly guys to fun things!!
Welcome aboard

Haha, I just love it when manly men let down their "cool". It's pretty hot

Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #60
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Narcoosee's back-up ADR. You seem to have a knack for getting the hard-to-get places though (Ohana for 10 ), so either you are incredibly lucky or doggedly persistent!

LOVE the medal! Can see why you would want it. I gotta give you huge kudos on the walking/running AND on the 3 pound loss. <jealous> (wish we had a clapping smiley, but this will have to do)

Enjoy your quiet time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: