Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When do you crave sweets the most?
Mid day 8 18.60%
After a meal 20 46.51%
That time or your wife's time 4 9.30%
ALL THE TIME 12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
barrentinesluvmickey
Once a Disney Family Always a Disney Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post
How far is it to work from home? Have you considered cycling to work?
I'm fortunate that my place work allows me to exercise when ever I please during the day, so long as my tasks are upto date.

Good effort so far, keep the faith
It is about 30 miles away, I am however getting more active at work I am running errands for sales more and anytime the cashier needs to go up stairs I am running it for her instead and all the guys are having fun yelling at me to run for them ...
barrentinesluvmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Celidh
DIS Veteran

Today didn't go so well for me. It was "treat day" at work. Need I say more? Treats were yummy though and I did have fresh fruit and veggies with my treats.

I had my regular fruit, yogurt and granola for lunch and a bit of ham and pasta salad for supper. Not a great supper but it was baseball night for 2 of my kids and I had to eat on the run. I had less than half an hour between getting home from work, eating, getting changed and being back out the door to get them to ball. Didn't get home until after 9. I have no idea how people have their kids in different sports all year long. I'm glad I only do it in the summer.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
my biggest suggestion would be to eat a bunch of small meals (4/5 300-350 calorie meals). It will help you not overindulge at lunch time. It will also keep your metabolism burning more efficiently.

Also try to bring food to work and not order out. This will save tons of calories
And money.... That you can put towards your trip!
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Hey all!

I think this is an awesome idea! Having accountability on a weight loss program can really help!

I just want to share the experience that my husband and I had. We completed AdvoCare's 24 Day Challenge two months ago and haven't looked back! I lost 8 pounds and about 5% body fat (down to the size I want to be! ) and my husband lost 21 pounds!! We've kept it off and feel amazing! We also enjoy life (have pizza once a week, ice cream, out to dinner) in moderation. A good rule of thumb is to think 80/20 (eat well 80% of the time and allow yourself a few cheat meals). This program worked so well for us and really jump-started our weight loss!

If you have ANY questions, feel free to send me a message! Good luck everyone on your weight loss journeys!
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
amandaluvsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
barrentinesluvmickey

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Today I feel pretty good. Yesterday I stayed under 1000 calories. I was really hungry about 830 last night but I just decided it wasnt real hunger and just went to bed. Work up had a nice Fruit and Cheese breakfast (only 180 cals) and then I prepped for work. I was proud of myself and for lunch I had apples, granola, and cheese cubes (I like cheese) 170 calories (they are health snack packs a co worker uses shes a wicked health nut)

Tonight I am grilling steaks, corn and baked potatoes. So I am excited to say I will be able to actually eat the steak and corn. But I don't know about the baked potatoe? Can I have Sour Cream on it?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
barrentinesluvmickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvsgoofy View Post
Hey all!

I think this is an awesome idea! Having accountability on a weight loss program can really help!

I just want to share the experience that my husband and I had. We completed AdvoCare's 24 Day Challenge two months ago and haven't looked back! I lost 8 pounds and about 5% body fat (down to the size I want to be! ) and my husband lost 21 pounds!! We've kept it off and feel amazing! We also enjoy life (have pizza once a week, ice cream, out to dinner) in moderation. A good rule of thumb is to think 80/20 (eat well 80% of the time and allow yourself a few cheat meals). This program worked so well for us and really jump-started our weight loss!

If you have ANY questions, feel free to send me a message! Good luck everyone on your weight loss journeys!

One of our salesman is a rep and does Advocare. I was talking to him about doing the 10 day cleanse but I hear some much about the 24 day Challenge but I am worried about pricing too.... Gotta save $!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrentinesluvmickey View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Today I feel pretty good. Yesterday I stayed under 1000 calories. I was really hungry about 830 last night but I just decided it wasnt real hunger and just went to bed. Work up had a nice Fruit and Cheese breakfast (only 180 cals) and then I prepped for work. I was proud of myself and for lunch I had apples, granola, and cheese cubes (I like cheese) 170 calories (they are health snack packs a co worker uses shes a wicked health nut)

Tonight I am grilling steaks, corn and baked potatoes. So I am excited to say I will be able to actually eat the steak and corn. But I don't know about the baked potatoe? Can I have Sour Cream on it?
It is all about learning - 1000 calories it too low. Don't go below 1200 or you will starve your body and it will hold onto the fat. Have you tried myfitnesspal.com. It has a great forum board and allows you to put in your food and get great information re: calories, fat, sodium, whatever YOU want to track.

As for sour cream, always purchase the low fat version and get a scale to weigh everything. Nothing should be eliminated, just eaten in proportion to what it is. One small dark chocolate dove will help with a sugar craving and is a good option for some people. Others totally remove sugar from their diet.

It is key to keep your water intake HIGH!!!! Good luck, and you can visit the WISH boards and will be received with tons of responses and support over there.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrentinesluvmickey View Post
One of our salesman is a rep and does Advocare. I was talking to him about doing the 10 day cleanse but I hear some much about the 24 day Challenge but I am worried about pricing too.... Gotta save $!
AdvoCare allows you to buy products at retail (at a higher price, obviously) or at a membership wholesale price (kinda like signing up for a Sam's or Costco membership) where you can save anywhere from 20%-40% off products!!

The way I see it, you're spending $7.50 a day with the 24-Day Challenge which includes the Cleanse kit, ALL of your supplement needs (including Omegas), meal replacement shakes (the chocolate tastes like a shake, soooo good!!), and Spark (which replaces your coffee, tea, Red Bull, etc). So it really isn't a bad deal when you compare what you'd be spending anyway.

Before my husband and I did it, he was concerned about the cost as well. Then I had to ask him what his health is worth to him. Now that we've done it and had such incredible results, the cost is no question. We're actually going to start it again in July! If you sign up we could all do it together and be each other's accountability buddies!!

Message me and I'll give you more info about it!
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
It is all about learning - 1000 calories it too low. Don't go below 1200 or you will starve your body and it will hold onto the fat.
THIS!! I know tons of people who try to keep their calories super low and it is so dangerous (and doesn't work in the long run)! When DH and I did the Challenge I felt like I was eating all day long. BUT, I was eating the right kind of foods. Again y'all, send me a message if you want to learn more about what and how we ate!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I would suggest trying Weight Watchers. I started it June 9th and went from 170 to 163 as of Monday. Its been super easy. All you do is keep track of points. I had a baby in September and havent been the same since.
Second Star to the Right And Straight On till Morning
April 2006- Offsite DH ( was BF) first time
December 2005- Offsite ( Engaged at Magic Kingdom)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-Disney All Star Sports ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012-1 night at Port Orleans FQ
September 2012- 1 night at Art of Animation
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort

Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

Ok i just typed out a long post and for some reason it didn't go through..lol ahhhhh
OK quick version (kind of..lol)..you can't eat too many calories and you can't go too low. Don't let yourself get too hungry, because then you will over eat... snack...unsalted peanuts and raisins or an apple with natural ( lowest sodium) peanut butter. Water, water and more water..if you need carbonation drink seltzer and add a lemon or lime. No soda, it is not good even in the smallest amounts.
Make up sweet potato's and grilled chicken ahead of time and put in fridge..no excuse for eating bad, because you can grab and go. Salad with fat free (no creamy dressing) dressing or oil and vinegar. Steamed or grilled veggies are great with any meal. If you want pasta or rice make it whole wheat or brown rice. Whole wheat pasta is great with grape tomatoes, garlic, and a little olive oil. (saute garlic in oil, add tomato's..and any other veggie you might like.. and toss it with the pasta)
You need protein (it will help you to stay fuller longer)..have eggs in the morning, or special K protein plus cereal with skim milk. Chicken, either grilled or baked.
Fish is great..just switch from butter to something like I can't believ its not butter.
NO artificial sweetners (just my opinion but they are no good for you).
You need to get in at least 30 minutes of cardio a day..if you can't do everyday make your goal 5 days a week.
myfitnesspal.com is a great website, you can keep track of your food and calories and weight...there are also forums.
Good luck and congrats on making changes!!!

* i wanted to add that you should have breakfast withing an hour of waking up!!!! Also i see that you are eating a lot of cheese (breakfast and lunch) be careful with that..it is not going to keep you full for long. You would be better off with eggs for breakfast and then a low fat mozzerella stick with your snack.

Last edited by Ariel8676; 06-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I'll share my experience and chime in every so often (I don't do well with the daily check-ins for my diet - I do better for weekly).

I'm 5'7" and the last five years I've gained a lot of weight (for me). Totaling in around 40+ pounds. I've tried Weight Watchers (which did work, but didn't stick), Nutrisystem (a bust), and I nearly signed up for Jenny Craig before I got the cost even after all their "specials" that they advertise so much.

So at my biggest (186.4 pounds), I kept fluctuating around and I finally went to bed one night, absolutely stressed out with how much I had gained (twice!). This was Christmas night (six months ago) - I woke up the next morning and what I now call my "switch" flipped on.

I started really paying attention to my body, not eating when I was just mildly hungry, watching portions and (my favorite trick) whenever I sit back and take a deep break - happens every meal! - stop eating! This is your body's way of telling you you're full and most people don't listen - they take that breath and they keep eating until they're stuffed.

I also started walking when the weather warmed up and I would wake up before everyone else and walk before my husband had to be at work (usually about 4.5 or 6 miles).

Six months in and I've been successful - but not as quickly as I had hoped. I've lost 18 pounds, but I hit a plateau a month ago and I've been fluctuating between 16-18 lost. This week I went off the diet and pigged out (intentionally) because I always start back with more resolve when I do that. I couldn't even last the week - after three days, I was completely back on my diet and I've started fresh. I hope my pigging out doesn't affect the scale too much on Monday, but my goal is to be 135 by mid-2013 and I'm in the high 160s now.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Dancing Queen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
I would suggest trying Weight Watchers. I started it June 9th and went from 170 to 163 as of Monday. Its been super easy. All you do is keep track of points. I had a baby in September and havent been the same since.
Weight Watchers worked for me too. Joined in Feb and am down 26 pounds! I was calorie counting prior to joining and found the points much easier. Now I just have to lose the last 3 pounds.

OP - If you are watching calories, I agree 1200 should be your daily goal. Stick with it. There are days that I just want to eat everything I see but I stop myself.

Have a great trip
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #29
drinkme
DIS Veteran

Have you seen the show "Weight of the Nation" I think it's on HBO. Anyway, there is a book out with the same name by the producers of the show. The book is very interesting that it talks about how hard it is for people to lose weight (of course). It says that obese people have to eat alot less calories than normal weight people just to maintain. Anyway, you would have to read it to understand it completely. But one of the things I took out of the book is that you basically have to eliminate completely & forever certain things from your diet. Things like sodas, fast foods, candy, etc. It's almost like a drug addict who can't have just that one fix. Also, it said that while exercise in your daily life is important, you won't lose the weight with regular exercise (they talk about Biggest Loser type exercise is NOT regular exercise). It's says the only way to lose the weight is to drop the calories. And those people who are most successful keep a food diary.

Have you been to Sparks People website? That is a good site for tracking calories and exercise.

Also, I noticed that Bob Harper from Biggest Loser has a new book coming out. It's called something like Skinny Secrets. I'm sure there won't be anything new in his book (reduce calories & increase exercise), but I'm going to read it.

Good luck in your weight lose journey. You have many of us going through it with you!
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #30
starbound25
Mouseketeer

I agree with many of the other posters.

You need at least 1200 cals a day.

A great website (along with some others mentioned) for tracking your food is
loseit.com thats what I used and once I started it really helped me stay on track and lose weight.
You put in all your info and then say what your goal weight is and then how many lbs a week you want to lose (shoot for 1-2 more than that is unrealistic) and it will say "to weigh X you need to eat X calories a day" and will give you a "goal" date
I started in late Feb. and have lost 20lbs. I have 5 more to go to my goal.

Eating is 80-90% of your weight loss success. You do also need to work out. I workout 5-6 days a week. Just walking. I hate all exercise but I will walk. Mostly on my treadmill. I have now added weights back into my program.

I also try to eat as clean as possible. Nothing processed. A great book to read on that is Clean Eating by Tosca Reno. I will have a handful of chocolate teddy grahms after dinner as my treat that is probably the one processed food I eat.

It is hard but once you change to a LIFESTYLE not a DIET than you can get on track.

Cutting all that junky food out of your system is hard and takes time. One day at a time and dont worry if it doesnt come off overnight just keep going.

I also allow myself a "treat" meal every sunday. Whatever I want as long as its just a meal not a DAY of treats

Tags
2013, calories, food, lose weight, weight loss

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: