Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #181
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted to Dopey View Post
Okay so we are coming in 4 days before the abd starts and originally we were going to return the rental car back at lax at 12 and meet up there with everyone but the more I think about it that might be really silly... With all the traffic we would hit it would prob make more sense to find a rental co that has a return location near the hotel and meet everyone at the hotel .... Has anyone done this before? Will we feel like we are missing part of the experience if we don't take the bus with people from lax? Or are most ppl coming in early too and not many will be at lax on Sunday anyways??
There is a rental car location IN the hotel.

You can rent at the airport and return at the hotel.

You will miss nothing by not taking ABD transportation
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #182
Addicted to Dopey
Newt's Posse

Thanks for the info! Hertz is in the hotel but crazy expensive (600 plus!!) and budget is around the corner but currently sold out! Will have to keep an eye on it in the months to come.
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #183
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted to Dopey View Post
Okay so we are coming in 4 days before the abd starts and originally we were going to return the rental car back at lax at 12 and meet up there with everyone but the more I think about it that might be really silly... With all the traffic we would hit it would prob make more sense to find a rental co that has a return location near the hotel and meet everyone at the hotel .... Has anyone done this before? Will we feel like we are missing part of the experience if we don't take the bus with people from lax? Or are most ppl coming in early too and not many will be at lax on Sunday anyways??
I agree that the trip in from the airport is not worth a special trip back out to the airport. When I arrrived for my first Backstage Magic tour, several groups were arriving together and we were to share transportation,which I knew ahead of time, but when I got in I had to schlep all my stuff to another terminal to meet the other groups and our transportation. There was no one waiting for me when I arrived and I had to call ABD to get instructions on what to do.

Last edited by Circusgirl; 05-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #184
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

So I've lately been obsessed with the idea of trying to wedge in the Disney Family Museum in San Fran into this trip. Has anyone else tried to do that? Should I just let it go? I don't know. I really want to go, but it's really resisting fitting into my schedule!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #185
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
So I've lately been obsessed with the idea of trying to wedge in the Disney Family Museum in San Fran into this trip. Has anyone else tried to do that? Should I just let it go? I don't know. I really want to go, but it's really resisting fitting into my schedule!
Lauren, it's a long way to San Francisco. If you are going to go to San Francisco I would make it a trip just for that. It's such a lovely city.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #186
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
The museum is fabulous, but you definitely need almost a whole day, or at least as much of a day as you can stand, to see everything. If you can make the schedule work and don't think you'll be back to the west coast for a while you should go. You could fly in to San Francisco and then fly down to LA to keep the extra time needed to a minimum. With more time, the coast drive is worth doing as an event unto itself.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #187
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We did just that on our last trip to Disneyland. We flew in and out of LAX, then booked a Southwest flight to San Francisco for right after we landed in LAX. Both flights were in the same terminal, so it was super easy to make the connection! The Flight to SF is fairly short and wasn't very expensive.

On our trip, we spent 4 days in the SF area, including a FULL day at the Walt Disney Family Museum. But it would be very doable for a 2 day side trip!
In fact, we are still considering it for this ABD trip in December. But with our upcoming move and assorted other life events- we think we're only going to have time for LA stuff this year.

We live on the East Coast- so flying all the way to California is a big deal.
We try to make the most of all that time in the air!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #188
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the input, guys! Here's what I'm thinking so far. Go ahead and book the trip just the LAX round trip. And if something awesome happens and we can add more time onto our trip I can always jiggle things around. It's so hard to know this far in advance what's going to be possible. I love the idea of flying down to SF and then driving back up to catch the group. Would love a chance to see a little more of California than just LA.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #189
JonKPest
Earning My Ears

Hi All!

I can now book SWA for this Trip.
I am thinking of starting a little early and fly in Friday night, Universal on Saturday, then Hollywood Sunday.
Are pre nights stays at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel still an option and after what time should I book the return trip on the 20th?

Thanks,

Jon K
Port Orleans Riverside 10/2011
Disney Dream 11/3/2011 No CC this Trip Disney Wonder 10/7/2012 Disney Wonder 9/2/2013 Disney Wonder 9/8/2014 Disney Fantasy 12/6/14
JonKPest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #190
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

So one thing I'm looking at:

http://www.thecounterburger.com/

And the second thing I'm looking at that's not going to happen so I need to let it go but it just looks so cool!:

http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/home.asp

How's everyone else's planning going?? We're about 158 days out so it's almost time to start getting excited!

Having nothing to do with anything, Jeri and I actually have a little date weekend planned for Sept to drive up to Atlanta. I found out they are having a showing of the Girl With the Pearl Earring, which is one of my favorite paintings, so I thought we could drive up for that. But then I wondered if anything good is being performed at the Fox. And, as it happens, the Little Mermaid is showing! We got killer seats, too, so I'm thinking it's meant to be. We might even go to Ikea 'cause we're wild like that!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #191
JWren1234
Disney Adventurer
Steakhouse 55 - Now that is some good dining!

The Counter Burger looks really good!

I'm still figuring what I want to do before the ABD starts. I get in around noon on Saturday. I really like the Griffith Observatory and The Farmers Market and want to fit both of them in.

Jason
JWren1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #192
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWren1234 View Post

I'm still figuring what I want to do before the ABD starts. I get in around noon on Saturday. I really like the Griffith Observatory and The Farmers Market and want to fit both of them in.

Jason
We enjoyed the Farmers Market when we did BSM in July 2012. Didn't make it to the Griffith Observatory but know others in our group did and they really enjoyed it.

Don't forget a stop at the Roosevelt Hotel for one of their burgers. While there be sure to check out the lobby. It appears to me to be the inspiration for the lobby of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #193
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWren1234 View Post

Jason
Those two things are on my list too. Great minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
We enjoyed the Farmers Market when we did BSM in July 2012. Didn't make it to the Griffith Observatory but know others in our group did and they really enjoyed it.

Don't forget a stop at the Roosevelt Hotel for one of their burgers. While there be sure to check out the lobby. It appears to me to be the inspiration for the lobby of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
Forgot the Roosevelt was on my list too! Thanks Jeff!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #194
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post

Quote:
Those two things are on my list too. Great minds!

Forgot the Roosevelt was on my list too! Thanks Jeff!
I've got those on my list too. My cousin, Cheryl, and I tried to get to the Farmers Market in June. It was a comedy of errors that ended with us seeing the Farmers Market from a distance but not actually going there. I hope to have better luck in December. We did get to have a burger at the Roosevelt though. Very good!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #195
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We're also arriving midday on Saturday.
One plan we have is to take the subway to Olvera Street on either Saturday or Sunday (not sure which). It is located across the street from Union Station- which John is anxious to get in and photograph! Then Olvera St for food and shopping. The subway is one train (no changing)- so that looks easy.

I had Griffith Park Observatory on my list- but it looks like that's taking a back seat to Union Sta/Olvera.
If we can do one on Saturday and the other on Sunday- that would be great!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: