Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #91
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
Are the baby cakes corn bread and donuts egg free??? We leave in less than a month, and we've got a WCC ADR. I'm a little apprehensive about this trip b/c of the new "bread" situation. In the past, DS (egg, peanut, & tree nut allergic) was always given ener-g rolls for bread, since regular bread was usually cross contaminated with nuts. The Udi's rolls have egg in them, though. I'm hoping this won't be a "breadless" trip for DS! --Katie
Baby cakes are egg free.....BUT they are NOT completely tree nut safe. It depends on your comfort level and severity. The flour they use is bobs red mill which is processed on the same line as almond flour. I cannot eat that flour anymore..l.i was just diagnosed in July with a tree nut allergy and I'm too high risk to use that flour. If you go to the FAQ on their website they mention this.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #92
lovetogowdw
Mouseketeer

Had really wonderful experiences after concern

We've been back a few weeks and I wanted to note a few things on the gluten/egg free bread concerns. I have a 6 yo son who is pretty newly diagnosed (late August) with celiac disease and who also has dairy, egg and wheat allergies. The things he has missed the most are "bread that looks and tastes like REAL BREAD", cookies/cakes/brownies and decent pizza. I also have a two year old and was traveling alone with the two of them and didn't have the luxury of TIME to explain everything in detail and figure out what (if any) choices would be of interest to my 6 yo w/out the 2 yo going into meltdown.

I contacted special diets multiple times before I found someone who sent me the form to fill out to request the chefs to contact you. In theory, we didn't have enough issues to warrant this, but I added that my little guy is sensitive to soy and eventually we got it. I submitted it about 10 days before we left and I requested to have the chef at seven locations contact me. Two chefs called within minutes of each other just after they received it and two more within the next 48 hours. All but one contacted me within 3/4 days.

Since I gave them advance notice, multiple locations were able to get in rolls or bread that worked for us (gluten and egg free) and one chef even baked a loaf from scratch for us!!! (He sent home the rest of the loaf with us!)

The gluten-free/allergy-free desserts at almost all of the table service restaurants were over the top! I learned after one sadness disaster to specify that all family style meals -- including desserts -- needed to be items we could ALL enjoy and after specifying that the chefs tried sooooo hard to come up with kid-friendly presentation wonders. Sooo cute.

Oh, and contact your resort hotel chef ahead of time and specially request that they have some babycakes products on hand for you. We stayed at AofA where they carry the four-pack of the actual "baby" cakes regularly in the grab and go case. But I found that when it appeared they were out, when I asked they had some held in the back for us (and maybe others with same situation?). Thank you Chef Dan!

Last edited by lovetogowdw; 10-21-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: forgot something
lovetogowdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #93
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Baby cakes are egg free.....BUT they are NOT completely tree nut safe. It depends on your comfort level and severity. The flour they use is bobs red mill which is processed on the same line as almond flour. I cannot eat that flour anymore..l.i was just diagnosed in July with a tree nut allergy and I'm too high risk to use that flour. If you go to the FAQ on their website they mention this.
We should be OK. DS has actually been given the go-ahead to trial almonds (after successful pecan and macadamia nut in-office challenges), we just haven't gotten around to it yet (it's a pain to source cross contamination free tree nuts!). This makes me excited about our trip to WCC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetogowdw View Post
We've been back a few weeks and I wanted to note a few things on the gluten/egg free bread concerns. I have a 6 yo son who is pretty newly diagnosed (late August) with celiac disease and who also has dairy, egg and wheat allergies. The things he has missed the most are "bread that looks and tastes like REAL BREAD", cookies/cakes/brownies and decent pizza. I also have a two year old and was traveling alone with the two of them and didn't have the luxury of TIME to explain everything in detail and figure out what (if any) choices would be of interest to my 6 yo w/out the 2 yo going into meltdown.

I contacted special diets multiple times before I found someone who sent me the form to fill out to request the chefs to contact you. In theory, we didn't have enough issues to warrant this, but I added that my little guy is sensitive to soy and eventually we got it. I submitted it about 10 days before we left and I requested to have the chef at seven locations contact me. Two chefs called within minutes of each other just after they received it and two more within the next 48 hours. All but one contacted me within 3/4 days.

Since I gave them advance notice, multiple locations were able to get in rolls or bread that worked for us (gluten and egg free) and one chef even baked a loaf from scratch for us!!! (He sent home the rest of the loaf with us!)

The gluten-free/allergy-free desserts at almost all of the table service restaurants were over the top! I learned after one sadness disaster to specify that all family style meals -- including desserts -- needed to be items we could ALL enjoy and after specifying that the chefs tried sooooo hard to come up with kid-friendly presentation wonders. Sooo cute.

Oh, and contact your resort hotel chef ahead of time and specially request that they have some babycakes products on hand for you. We stayed at AofA where they carry the four-pack of the actual "baby" cakes regularly in the grab and go case. But I found that when it appeared they were out, when I asked they had some held in the back for us (and maybe others with same situation?). Thank you Chef Dan!
Just heard back from special diets that we don't qualify for the letter anymore either . They did tell me to call them during business hours to discuss the whole egg/nut free bread thing. Maybe I can have them give me the number for the resort chef during that call (we're staying at CBR). Thanks for the helpful info. --Katie
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #94
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
We should be OK. DS has actually been given the go-ahead to trial almonds (after successful pecan and macadamia nut in-office challenges), we just haven't gotten around to it yet (it's a pain to source cross contamination free tree nuts!). This makes me excited about our trip to WCC!!

Just heard back from special diets that we don't qualify for the letter anymore either . They did tell me to call them during business hours to discuss the whole egg/nut free bread thing. Maybe I can have them give me the number for the resort chef during that call (we're staying at CBR). Thanks for the helpful info. --Katie
Blue Diamond Almonds Dont have a cross contamination issue as far as I know. I had been given the go ahead to try almonds when I tested negative back in march. Those are actually one of the things I had been eating when I reacted and we did retesting (along with wheat, oats and coconut)
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #95
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

This thread is making me feel so much better! If this stomach thing continues I might have to go dairy free in Feb

We have one ADR at 'Ohanas but the rest mostly quick service or offsite. I just hope offsite is as good at accommodating dairy free!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #96
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
This thread is making me feel so much better! If this stomach thing continues I might have to go dairy free in Feb

We have one ADR at 'Ohanas but the rest mostly quick service or offsite. I just hope offsite is as good at accommodating dairy free!
Check out Sarah's blog- she's Dairy Free (and Gluten Free), and still eats very well at the world!! http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #97
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
Check out Sarah's blog- she's Dairy Free (and Gluten Free), and still eats very well at the world!! http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/
Yes, I definitely eat very well. And now I think I'm getting spoiled for all restaurants outside of the "world!"

I've been to some conferences in Orlando and didn't get a chance to eat at Disney and had to eat at some of the places on I drive. I got sick. A lot. The biggest problem I see in many restaurants are the cross contamination issues. So in the future, I'm staying on property and driving to the conferences--better safe than sorry (and who doesn't need an excuse to go to WDW! )

@Sparkly - best of luck on your trip! You will be very well taken care of even at the QS locations! And Ohana is one of my favs!

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #98
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetogowdw View Post
Thanks for the update! If you have time, would you care to elaborate on this part? I was wondering what happened with the "we ALL could enjoy" part.

My DS13 is excited about the Babycakes stuff.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #99
primrosea
Mouseketeer

Picture of the Gluten Free Dessert we received at The Garden Grill! My kids felt like Royalty!

Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #100
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosea View Post

Picture of the Gluten Free Dessert we received at The Garden Grill! My kids felt like Royalty!

AWESOME! That's on my list to try next trip.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #101
snorris49
DIS Veteran

That dessert looks awesome! It looks like the Enjoy Life cookies and chocolate if I'm not mistaken. Yum

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #102
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

It sure does look like the two different styles of EL cookies and EL chocolate. Is that a creme brule with gummies on top? I've been thinking about eating at GG in an upcoming trip and this is definitely making me want to. If only it wasn't so hard to fit dinners in parks into my itinerary (it's got to do with how we tour; we're rarely in parks at dinner time).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #103
primrosea
Mouseketeer

Yes! They are Enjoy Life cookies and chocolate and that is a creme brule! Good eyes! Garden Grill has become a favorite of ours the past two trips. We don't have multiple foods allergies (only gluten) and we do it as a family so I think that helps the Chefs. The food there has been really good both times, the setting is fun and you get to see the characters. I would recommend it!
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #104
Cierese
Mouseketeer

Subbing!

So glad I found this!

We don't have any allergies per say, but lots of sensitivities.

Between the 4 of us: Gluten, eggs, red dye, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, cauliflower, cow's milk (cheese & yogurt is ok), ranch and honey mustard dips and dressings. And when my Dad is with us, he has to eat low iron and has a severe shellfish allergy.

I'm so glad I found this because even with the reading/blogs, the list doesn't sound too appealing... photos,though.. .they definitely speak a lot louder (and yummier) than words!!

Can you tell me, though.. the Mickey Waffles... what are they made with?

June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Caribbean Beach Resort!
Oct 2013 - Old Key West and POP!
July 2011 OKW - Big Family Vacation
Nov 2009 All Stars Music - Thanksgiving!
Sep 2004 Off Site -- Jun 2004 Off Site
July 2003 Off Site OIF Welcome Home Trip
Apr 1995 Don't Remember - Magic Music Days -Yes, I was a band geek!!!
Cierese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #105
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Mickey waffles are made with Bob's Red Mill pancake/waffle mix and/or Namaste mix. Some places use one, some use the other, and some use a mixture.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: