Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #151
DVCAngela
Earning My Ears

DISboards Approved Advertiser

This is such a great idea! Looking forward to experiencing GF meals at Disney! They all look so yummy!
DVCAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #152
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

Sorry it has taken me so long to get these pics up! They're from my May trip. I'm gluten free and my mom is gluten and soy free. I didn't get pics of all of our meals as some meals we were a party of 9 and it was just too chaotic trying to get pictures.

We stayed at Bay Lake Tower. Our first morning for breakfast we ate at the Contempo Cafe. Manager was awesome, food was hot and delicious. Absolutely no complaints and we'd definitely eat here again!!!

Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #153
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

This is my first time using photo bucket and I have no idea why my pics are so big. I'm sorry about the picture size!

Our first lunch was Be Our Guest for lunch! On our December trip we ate there twice for dinner. We booked this trip only about a month out so we weren't able to get into dinner. LUNCH WAS INCREDIBLE!!!! We loved it so much we ended up eating there twice during our 4 night trip. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm going to combine both meals into one review. They have the kiosks that have allergy options too, but personally we're much more comfortable talking to the chef personally. Even though it was really busy, we didn't wait too long for the chef. He was really friendly and willing to do whatever we wanted!

My mom isn't a huge eater so she just got the potato leek soup and a cup of chocolate mousse both times. We try and avoid artificial sweeteners so that cream puff is out for us. Instead we just ask the chef about getting a cup of mousse and it's never been an issue. I had the same thing as my mom the first time.

Second time I had the roast beef sandwich and I really enjoyed that too. The bread was grilled and it was just delicious. The portion was HUGE and definitely enough to share!

If anyone has any questions about any of these places, feel free to ask and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #154
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

For dinner that night we tried Kona for the first time ever!!!! We've typically eaten at Ohana and weren't interested in doing Kona. Well after that meal, Kona is definitely in our top 5 restaurants at Disney!

The chef was so friendly and accommodating! Pretty much anything on the menu could be made gluten free. He brought out some GNI rolls (not really a fan), but they were perfectly heated so they were edible.

I didn't get a picture of my mom's meal, but she had the pan roasted chicken. She substituted rice and sauteed swiss chard (I think?) for the pea risotto. Her chicken was perfectly cooked, moist and delicious!

I went for the teriyaki style new york strip. Only a minor change needed to be made to swap out the regular sauce for the gluten free version.

Desserts were absolutely the stars of the meal!!!! I'm a huge dessert person and I was so happy to see they had lots of options besides that usual OMG it's gluten free brownie. We ordered a kilauea torte which was AMAZING!!!! It's like this chocolate volcano cake thing. We also had a banana-chocolate creme brulee which was also very good. Also they have chocolate fondue, that they can make safe with a minor substitution. (swapping out the non-gf cookies for some gf-cookies)

Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #155
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

The next meal I got a picture at was 50s Primetime. Sorry I only managed to get a dessert picture though.

My mom and I both had the fried chicken. It was yummy as usual. That's become our standard whenever we go there. For dessert I had dad's brownie sundae. That thing is massive and so delicious!!!! It definitely wasn't the OMG it's gluten free brownie and (I think?) they might even make their own brownies there!

After our bad experience at Mama Melrose our last trip, this has become our go-to for our HS days.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #156
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

The next meal I got pictures at was 'Ohana for dinner. We've been going there for years (pre-TJ days). All I can say is that this was the worst meal we've ever had there. There is no way I'll be going back for dinner anytime in the near future. We haven't had any issues at breakfast so we might go back there someday.

It all started with the chef. He seemed annoyed to be at our table and he obviously didn't want to be there. He was just going through the motions and didn't really seem to care. Definitely not the Disney chefs we've become so used to.

Also I should probably note the timing of our meal was really off. It took us way longer than it ever has before to get our allergy-safe food. I have no problems waiting for food and I understand it may take longer, but I at least want the food to be delicious and something worth waiting for. (I probably would have enjoyed the Contemporary's counter service for dinner MUCH more)

We started with the GNI rolls and they were ICE cold. I can barely tolerate them warm and ice cold was not okay with me. I finally was able to get someone's attention and they warmed them up. I was absolutely starving at that point so they were edible.

Next came the chicken wings. If I'm remembering correctly they were luke-warm/cool. Nothing special or exciting

We finally get our "platter" of food to share and I was shocked by its size. My mom and I are both full size adults and that really wasn't enough food to share. I asked the chef for more chicken and he gave me attitude about it. He was like if you want more food you can always have salad. Eventually he got me more chicken, but it was definitely a process and shouldn't have been that difficult.

Dessert wasn't satisfying at all. I should probably note that in the past, we've had chefs go out of their way to get us one of the Kona desserts as they are safe and SO MUCH better than the OMG brownie thing. This chef made me a brownie sundae with an ice cold brownie. Our server held everyone else's dessert for probably about 10-15 mins in hope our dessert would come out. 10 minutes after their dessert came out, we finally got our dessert.

Honestly, there is no way I'd recommend 'Ohana for dinner and it used to be one of our favorites. I just don't think the cost is worth it for what you get and if you want to eat at the Polynesian, Kona is definitely a much better option.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #157
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

For our final breakfast, we took the boat from the Contemporary to the Wilderness Lodge. I love the special waffles they have there!!! I always get the chocolate lover's waffle. It's Mickey waffles with chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream. Served with a side of bacon. I loved this and I'd definitely get it again!

I never got pictures at Whispering Canyon for dinner, Norway Princess breakfast, Chef Mickey's breakfast, Tony's Town Square for lunch or the few snacks we had at the Contempo Cafe. If anybody would still want reviews of these places without pictures, let me know!

I'll be at the Animal Kingdom Villas for a few nights in August before I check-in for the Disney College Program!!!! I'm hoping to get food pictures at all of our meals!

Then my parents are staying at the Wilderness Lodge when they visit me for my birthday in September. I'll definitely be getting lots of food pictures that week!

My parents are coming down for New Year's Eve-first week of January and staying at Bay Lake Tower again. I'll probably be working for part of their trip, but I'll be getting food pictures whenever I join them for meals!

I'll also have lots of food pictures from all the places I dine at during my 5 months in Disney! I'm definitely do my best to keep this thread updated with my food allergy pics.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #158
H20DogsNDisney
DIS Veteran

great update thanks for sharing. hope more post soon.

Hallie
H20DogsNDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #159
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 View Post
This is my first time using photo bucket and I have no idea why my pics are so big. I'm sorry about the picture size!

Our first lunch was Be Our Guest for lunch! On our December trip we ate there twice for dinner. We booked this trip only about a month out so we weren't able to get into dinner. LUNCH WAS INCREDIBLE!!!! We loved it so much we ended up eating there twice during our 4 night trip. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm going to combine both meals into one review. They have the kiosks that have allergy options too, but personally we're much more comfortable talking to the chef personally. Even though it was really busy, we didn't wait too long for the chef. He was really friendly and willing to do whatever we wanted!

My mom isn't a huge eater so she just got the potato leek soup and a cup of chocolate mousse both times. We try and avoid artificial sweeteners so that cream puff is out for us. Instead we just ask the chef about getting a cup of mousse and it's never been an issue. I had the same thing as my mom the first time.

Second time I had the roast beef sandwich and I really enjoyed that too. The bread was grilled and it was just delicious. The portion was HUGE and definitely enough to share!

If anyone has any questions about any of these places, feel free to ask and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We have heard such mixed reviews on GF foods here...I was getting nervous about having lunch. Now I feel much better!

Quote:
The next meal I got a picture at was 50s Primetime. Sorry I only managed to get a dessert picture though.

My mom and I both had the fried chicken. It was yummy as usual. That's become our standard whenever we go there. For dessert I had dad's brownie sundae. That thing is massive and so delicious!!!! It definitely wasn't the OMG it's gluten free brownie and (I think?) they might even make their own brownies there!

After our bad experience at Mama Melrose our last trip, this has become our go-to for our HS days.
DS14 was already geeked about having gf fried chicken...now he's excited about the sundae! Does the caramel corn have nuts? That's his other issue. I'm sure it can be worked around, though.

Quote:
The next meal I got pictures at was 'Ohana for dinner. We've been going there for years (pre-TJ days). All I can say is that this was the worst meal we've ever had there. There is no way I'll be going back for dinner anytime in the near future. We haven't had any issues at breakfast so we might go back there someday.

It all started with the chef. He seemed annoyed to be at our table and he obviously didn't want to be there. He was just going through the motions and didn't really seem to care. Definitely not the Disney chefs we've become so used to.

Also I should probably note the timing of our meal was really off. It took us way longer than it ever has before to get our allergy-safe food. I have no problems waiting for food and I understand it may take longer, but I at least want the food to be delicious and something worth waiting for. (I probably would have enjoyed the Contemporary's counter service for dinner MUCH more)

We started with the GNI rolls and they were ICE cold. I can barely tolerate them warm and ice cold was not okay with me. I finally was able to get someone's attention and they warmed them up. I was absolutely starving at that point so they were edible.

Next came the chicken wings. If I'm remembering correctly they were luke-warm/cool. Nothing special or exciting

We finally get our "platter" of food to share and I was shocked by its size. My mom and I are both full size adults and that really wasn't enough food to share. I asked the chef for more chicken and he gave me attitude about it. He was like if you want more food you can always have salad. Eventually he got me more chicken, but it was definitely a process and shouldn't have been that difficult.

Dessert wasn't satisfying at all. I should probably note that in the past, we've had chefs go out of their way to get us one of the Kona desserts as they are safe and SO MUCH better than the OMG brownie thing. This chef made me a brownie sundae with an ice cold brownie. Our server held everyone else's dessert for probably about 10-15 mins in hope our dessert would come out. 10 minutes after their dessert came out, we finally got our dessert.

Honestly, there is no way I'd recommend 'Ohana for dinner and it used to be one of our favorites. I just don't think the cost is worth it for what you get and if you want to eat at the Polynesian, Kona is definitely a much better option.
Bummer! Our dinner there WITH Chef TJ was so awesome. I'm wondering if I should only tell them about ds's nut allergy. He can have trace gluten without a problem. I hate when he has a bad experience.
Hoping you were there for a fluke night.

Quote:
For our final breakfast, we took the boat from the Contemporary to the Wilderness Lodge. I love the special waffles they have there!!! I always get the chocolate lover's waffle. It's Mickey waffles with chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream. Served with a side of bacon. I loved this and I'd definitely get it again!

I never got pictures at Whispering Canyon for dinner, Norway Princess breakfast, Chef Mickey's breakfast, Tony's Town Square for lunch or the few snacks we had at the Contempo Cafe. If anybody would still want reviews of these places without pictures, let me know!

I'll be at the Animal Kingdom Villas for a few nights in August before I check-in for the Disney College Program!!!! I'm hoping to get food pictures at all of our meals!

Then my parents are staying at the Wilderness Lodge when they visit me for my birthday in September. I'll definitely be getting lots of food pictures that week!

My parents are coming down for New Year's Eve-first week of January and staying at Bay Lake Tower again. I'll probably be working for part of their trip, but I'll be getting food pictures whenever I join them for meals!

I'll also have lots of food pictures from all the places I dine at during my 5 months in Disney! I'm definitely do my best to keep this thread updated with my food allergy pics.
We would love to hear all your reviews...pics or not!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #160
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

Quote:

OMG The chocolate lover's waffles look DELICIOUS!!!!! Wish I was eating some now. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #161
primrosea
Mouseketeer

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Chocolate lovers waffles! How did I miss these!!! Guess who will visiting there this fall!
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #162
disfan07
DIS Veteran

We are actually in disneyworld right now...been here since the 25th and leaving on the 1st. I will have some pictures to post but here's the quick run down of meals so far:

All of my meals do not include:
Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut, dairy, soy protein (soybean oil and soy lechitin are okay for me), sesame, sunflower seeds, honey, ginger, bananas, cherries, broccoli, raw vegetables, and raw fruits (except grapes).

Turf club bar and grill (saratoga springs)- chef was wonderful! They have ener-g tapioca rolls!! I got 2 warm rolls with olive oil and spices for dipping. For dinner I got a maple glazed salmon with sautéed corn and asparagus. It was amazing! Highly recommend this place.

Liberty tree tavern: the chef was good here. I was just in the mood for a burger and fries so it was pretty simple. They have the GNI buns here but I've never had them before and didn't want to try anything new. So I had a burger with bacon and sautéed mushrooms (no bun) and fries. The food was basic but very good.

1900 park fare dinner- we ate here in December and the chef was great (not chef TJ but still wonderful). This time, the chef was a real let down. The food was okay but plain and basic. I got some salmon and beef along with some corn and a baked potato. It was good and safe...just not exciting.

Garden Grill- our first time here. This place was terrible. I got plain tilapia, plain beef and a plain potato. The potato wasover cooked and so was the beef. And there was no seasoning on anything...not even salt and pepper!! Complete waste of money

Crystal palace lunch- we went twice in December and it was wonderful this time around as well. The chef was great and very little needed modifications....it was basically the meats with no sauces that needed modifications. But I ate: grapes, roasted beet salad, ratatouille, tilapia, salmon, ham, beef, and green beans. It was all hot and fresh and the chef came out like 4 times to see ow everything was....we are considering going back again on the 30th.

The restaurants we have coming up are:
Citricos, 50s prime time, 1900 PF breakfast (hoping for chef TJ!), the wave and Kona cafe. Hopefully the rest are as good as CP was.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #163
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
We are actually in disneyworld right now...been here since the 25th and leaving on the 1st. I will have some pictures to post but here's the quick run down of meals so far:

Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut, dairy, soy protein (soybean oil and soy lechitin are okay for me), sesame, sunflower seeds, honey, ginger, bananas, cherries, broccoli, raw vegetables, and raw fruits (except grapes).

Turf club bar and grill (saratoga springs)- chef was wonderful! They have ener-g tapioca rolls!! I got 2 warm rolls with olive oil and spices for dipping. For dinner I got a maple glazed salmon with sautéed corn and asparagus. It was amazing! Highly recommend this place.

Liberty tree tavern: the chef was good here. I was just in the mood for a burger and fries so it was pretty simple. They have the GNI buns here but I've never had them before and didn't want to try anything new. So I had a burger with bacon and sautéed mushrooms (no bun) and fries. The food was basic but very good.

1900 park fare dinner- we ate here in December and the chef was great (not chef TJ but still wonderful). This time, the chef was a real let down. The food was okay but plain and basic. I got some salmon and beef along with some corn and a baked potato. It was good and safe...just not exciting.

Garden Grill- our first time here. This place was terrible. I got plain tilapia, plain beef and a plain potato. The potato wasover cooked and so was the beef. And there was no seasoning on anything...not even salt and pepper!! Complete waste of money

Crystal palace lunch- we went twice in December and it was wonderful this time around as well. The chef was great and very little needed modifications....it was basically the meats with no sauces that needed modifications. But I ate: grapes, roasted beet salad, ratatouille, tilapia, salmon, ham, beef, and green beans. It was all hot and fresh and the chef came out like 4 times to see ow everything was....we are considering going back again on the 30th.

Citricos, 50s prime time, 1900 PF breakfast (hoping for chef TJ!), the wave and Kona cafe. Hopefully the rest are as good as CP was.
Thanks for your update! My son is GF, peanut/ tree nut and we're going to several of the same places.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #164
stackyallred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07

Wow, out of all the Dissers who have shared about allergies, you are the closest "match" to my allergies! Not many people have the wheat/egg/dairy/peanut/soy combo like me! I also can't have many of the other things you listed but I do handle coconut just fine. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I look forward to hearing about the rest! I had awesome experiences at Citricos and Kona last year. 50's was good- the chef made me the GF/DF fried chicken and while it was good, I regretted getting something fried since I never do. It tasted good but I think I would've been happier with something grilled. Have fun!

Honeymoon @ ASM 2003 / Caribbean Beach Resort 2005 / DL 2006 / Bonnet Creek Resort 2007 /
Pop 2008 x2 / POP 2009 / POP 2010 / WBC & BWV 2011 / POP 2012 / POP & AKL 2013/ AKL & POP 2014
The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic! A TR of sacrificial joy!
stackyallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #165
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Great updates, everyone!! Only 70-some days until I can make my own! (hurry up hurry up hurry up.....)
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: