Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Congrats! I just paid off $105K in student loans! I am celebrating by upping my 401K contribution from 3% to 5%. I am a rebel lol.
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
ozziejen2000
Earning My Ears

We paid off our mortgage this past January. DH landed a great bonus at work and we paid off the house early. I wanted to tell people but he did not. We had a very nice dinner out and just enjoy throwing that extra 2k into our savings every month which was once our mortgage.

We have some family that is not as fortunate/savy with their money. We do not want to have any weird problems with friends or family, so we are keeping it quiet. We also are going to DW this summer, but that was already planned too.

I would also not going into the bank with noisemakes on NYE, that sounds a bit scary.

Our child is too young to understand what it is to pay off the house early.
ozziejen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #48
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Update:
We did it! Actually made the mortgage payoff on Christmas Eve instead of New Year's Eve. It was a pretty emotional experience and it was a VERY special day for our entire family. Even the bank employees were cheering!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #49
JanaD
Mouseketeer

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sending my warmest wishes for a continuing debt-free life and the serenity that comes from it! It does show that diligence and hardwork CAN and WILL pay off!
JanaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #50
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinballFamily View Post
Update:
We did it! Actually made the mortgage payoff on Christmas Eve instead of New Year's Eve. It was a pretty emotional experience and it was a VERY special day for our entire family. Even the bank employees were cheering!
Congrats!!! What did you do to celebrate?
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #51
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaD View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sending my warmest wishes for a continuing debt-free life and the serenity that comes from it! It does show that diligence and hardwork CAN and WILL pay off!

I hope you celebrate with a

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #52
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I took a photo of DD and DH putting the last payment into the mailbox. I do like the idea of a Disney trip! We didn't do anything with the 2nd house mortgage, maybe it's not too late to celebrate!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #53
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Update:
Congratulations!!! What a huge accomplishment!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #54
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile RE: ALL OF U R GIVIN' ME IDEAs......

......& I like it!!

Look at my below trip report titled, "My adventures n San Fran, Rose Bowl....."
and see what I did with all my money from the canceled March 2013 vacation adventure of mine.
(its listed on bottom of page 1 and top of page 2)

I am now thinking of something more than just a 7-night Disney cruise to celebrate (thank u all for prodding me into celebrating this) in 6 more years.

and yes, I plan on putting that "coin thing" with a date at the base of my staircase as well (good idea).

and the "DONT LAUGH ITS PAID FOR!!" sign??

= (that is a must do 4 me)

P.S. Yes, I am still "attacking that mortgage snowball," its just not as aggresively now.

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT

Last edited by knewton64; 01-12-2013 at 05:15 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #55
annsteere
DIS Veteran

We have a family tradition for this.

When you pay off a loan you have to take the rest of the family out for deep dish pizza.

Nobody else in the restaurant knows, but the family celebrates with you.

It creates an occasion for the family to get together. It also models for the kids that loans get paid off. They aren't revolving forever.

Our mortgage payoff was timed to give us three months off and then begin putting our children through college. That three months was the beginning our our emergency fund. (Before that an open equity line was our back up plan for an emergency).
annsteere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #56
Janice B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
I took a photo of DD and DH putting the last payment into the mailbox. I do like the idea of a Disney trip! We didn't do anything with the 2nd house mortgage, maybe it's not too late to celebrate!
It's never to late to celebrate. Dh and I paid off our mortgage this past December as well. Our mortgage was not suppose to be paid off till September 2013 at which time we are going to Disney to celebrate. Even though we paid if off early we are still keeping our Disney trip for September and we will officially celebrate then. Our DS took us out for supper the day we paid it off.

Congratulations on paying off your mortgage.
Janice B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #57
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8t Fan View Post
Congrats!!! What did you do to celebrate?
We took a box of bakery muffins into the bank that morning for the staff - they were delighted!
Each member of our family put down a portion of the payoff - DH put down the last 1.01. The final penny paid was a shiny 2012 one we had saved for the purpose...
A bottle of Dom Perignon - our first ever...
Did the "Don't Laugh, It's Paid For" sign/photo of our family on our front steps when we returned from the bank...
Santa brought us a mortgage button for our newel post and a special Xmas ornament from etsy...
and yes, DH and I did enjoy a (pre-payoff) WDW weekend during F&W - once we were completely sure we would meet our goal! Yum!

Thanks for asking and good luck to anyone else on the path to paying down debt!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #58
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

Quote:
We took a box of bakery muffins into the bank that morning for the staff - they were delighted!
Each member of our family put down a portion of the payoff - DH put down the last 1.01. The final penny paid was a shiny 2012 one we had saved for the purpose...
A bottle of Dom Perignon - our first ever...
Did the "Don't Laugh, It's Paid For" sign/photo of our family on our front steps when we returned from the bank...
Santa brought us a mortgage button for our newel post and a special Xmas ornament from etsy...
and yes, DH and I did enjoy a (pre-payoff) WDW weekend during F&W - once we were completely sure we would meet our goal! Yum!

Thanks for asking and good luck to anyone else on the path to paying down debt!
Sounds like you really enjoyed yourselves! Way to go!
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #59
marthachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_G

Just paid ours off last month, DO NOT BURN anything. You never know when you will need to produce the papers to prove the debt was paid off...
I wouldn't burn originals either but would make a copy & burn that. Just talked to DH earlier today about upping our bi-weekly payments. I have no idea how we'll celebrate once we pay it off, but I'm sure I'll find somewhere to go. :D. I love to travel, but as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home."

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #60
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVCshopper View Post
We paid ours off 6 years ago, which was 26 years early... To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed by it. The few people I've told in real life act strange over it, think we are rich, etc. if I were you, I'd tell my very close friends and family and keep it at that. And my brother and close friend always keep me updated on how close they are to paying theirs off, which is great, but I'm pretty sure they thought our idea was great and they want to do it, too.

I would not only celebrate, but I would have with the marching band!! That is wonderful!

And to the above poster ( and everyone else who has done this ) can you give advice? I really, really want to become better at budgeting and want to pay mine off at the very least a tad earlier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: