Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Mortgage Payoff Party ideas - help! - this is BIG for us! UPDATE post #48

Looking to make our *final* payment in person at the bank on Dec. 31, 2012. Gotta keep up our momentum - we've been hyper-focused on paying this off for the past couple of years and, if we can do it, we will be almost nine years early! It is never too early to start planning this once-in-a-lifetime party - love to hear any crazy and fun ideas for a celebration you can think of! Short of taking a couple of marching band members to the bank with us, what else do you have? (Believe it or not, I thought of this!) It sure helps that it is New Years Eve, too...

Last edited by PinballFamily; 01-11-2013 at 03:34 PM.
PinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
trip
family trip planner

Have a ceremonial "burning of the mortgage" papers.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I would just quietly celebrate with my husband, and maybe one or two very close friends. I would not want to have a big 'once in a lifetime party' because I'd worry that people would see it as bragging.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
jrnunzio3
DIS Veteran

We went to Disney World to celebrate. I wanted to wear the "I'm Celebrating" button and put on there paying off my mortgage, but my husband thought I was crazy, so I didn't.
jrnunzio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I would just quietly celebrate with my husband, and maybe one or two very close friends. I would not want to have a big 'once in a lifetime party' because I'd worry that people would see it as bragging.
Eh. Anyone offended by that is looking for a reason to be offended, so who cares what they think? People who truly care about OP are going to be happy for her.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnunzio3 View Post
We went to Disney World to celebrate. I wanted to wear the "I'm Celebrating" button and put on there paying off my mortgage, but my husband thought I was crazy, so I didn't.
This is what I would do... button and all.

Congratulations, OP!

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 4/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Eh. Anyone offended by that is looking for a reason to be offended, so who cares what they think? People who truly care about OP are going to be happy for her.
I wouldn't be offended, but I'd think it was really weird to be invited to a party to celebrate someone paying off their mortgage. Only time I've heard of that was on the Waltons. Just seems like the kind of thing more appropriate for a private celebration (or a trip to WDW, as another PP suggested).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
I wouldn't be offended, but I'd think it was really weird to be invited to a party to celebrate someone paying off their mortgage. Only time I've heard of that was on the Waltons. Just seems like the kind of thing more appropriate for a private celebration (or a trip to WDW, as another PP suggested).
I agree. Definitely seems like an accomplishment you'd privately celebrate.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Julia M
DIS Veteran
not clever, not witty, but loyal!

Wow, our mortgage is scheduled to be paid off in a little less than 5 years and I'm already imagining the fancy dinner we will treat our friends with.....a very upscale local restaurant. I figured we would go not when we pay the last payment, but when the payment is usually due and treat these good friends....Basically we'd pay for an amazing dinner with the money we'd have made the mortgage payment with. A ridiculous splurge, perhaps, but I am already dreaming about it.

I guess I'll have to second guess myself about it now.

Jluia
August 2004:Vistana & Marriott's Grand Vista.....Hurricane Charley.....what an experience for West Coasters!
Christmas at Disneyworld, 2005: Polynesian
July 2008: Cypress Point Grand villas & Hilton Grand Vacation Club....sharing Disneyworld with friends
January 2010: Boardwalk Villas for a Disney wedding....
February 2010: Saratoga Springs...TWIRLMANIA!!
July 2010: Beach Club Villas & Marriott Imperial Palms
July 2013: a day in Orlando.....what to do????
Julia M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

I hope I'm not the only one who remembers the M*A*S*H episode where Mildred Potter pays off the mortgage, and sends it to Korea for Col. Potter to burn, lol.

That's always been my vision when ours is paid off (burning the papers, not sending them or my DH to Korea!)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Thanks everyone, and keep the responses coming! Yes, the celebration would only be for our immediate family and two very close family friends with whom we all celebrate all holidays (real and imagined!). No one else in our lives would really care! But, this payoff will be something significant for our kids - who have really "gotten it" as we've all been working towards this goal. (We have a child with autism and the fact that he will *always* have his home to live in is huge for us.)

Thanks again!

ETA: Wow! I do (now!) remember that M*A*S*H episode. A blast from the past!

Last edited by PinballFamily; 06-14-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: M*A*S*H!
PinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
PinballFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnunzio3 View Post
That's awesome! I'm sure there are people "celebrating" stranger things with those pins!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I think it would be great fun to host a dinner party out for friends to celebrate.

The only thing I'd be careful about is that others in this economy might not be rowing the same boat you are and can possibly be sinking. Although your friends in such a situation might be happy for you, it could make them feel weird. But, if I were in such a situation, maybe a nice dinner out would be an oasis.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! We are working hard to pay off our mortgage in the next 7 years. We pay extra when we can. We are HUGE Ramsey fans so we plan to celebrate by driving to Tennessee to scream we're debt free!

Good luck! I think that is cause for a big celebration!
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

Hmmmm...we paid ours off 3 years ago- year 13 of a 30 year mortgage so I guess 17 years early. We celebrated by diving into a major remodeling project. We'd put a lot of things off to pay that mortgage off.

Never really occurred to us to have a party or anything.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: