Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
kkendle
Mouseketeer

My husband and I went on the Warner Bros tour in October. I remember them saying each tour was different and depending on what is going on at the studio makes a difference in what you see.

We walked onto the set of The Mentalist. It was neat seeing where they filmed. We also walked into the Conan show set...but they were not taping, which is why we got to go into it.

We also were in a small town America place where lots of movies are filmed including the latest Muppet Movie...which I loved.

We saw the Friends set...they said this is by far the most popular and most asked for. I don't remember seeing anything of Big Bang Theory but did see stuff in the gift shop for it....shirts, mugs etc.

We saw different vehicles used in different movies and also walked around a 2 story museum like area with costumes and some props.

We enjoyed the tour...I think we were there on Veteran's Day...so nothing was really filming. I know the guide said there are lots of times you see stars and producers etc and but we didn't that day.

We enjoyed the tour a lot! Hope any of this helps!

Kelly
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Before you order the Tours, google the tour name and discount.

For our WB Tour, we got $6 off each, $5 off with the code PERKS, and $1 each with the code CONAN.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

WB Studio Tour Mini Report

We had tickets for Feb. 26, a Tuesday, at 8:45 am.

I would recommend ordering your tickets online before hand, we ordered ours 3 days before and several of the times for our day were sold out.

Also don't forget to use the discount codes!

I know some people want to read about this, so I'll just do a quick mini review without pictures and do a more in depth one later in my trip report.

If you are driving from Anaheim, give yourself plenty of time. I think we gave ourselves an hour and a half and it was not enough, there was a lot of traffic and we were 15 minutes late (and panicking about it).

We entered the WB Studios into our GPS, and once we got in the general vicinity there were signs directing us to the Studio Tour area. If you get lost, just stop at one of the gates with security and ask them.

Parking was $7 and the lot was in a nice, shady (as in trees, it was a very safe area) area.

The parking is directly across the street from the check in building. The employees were super nice about us being late and checked us into the tour that was starting in 2 minutes (I imagine if that tour had been sold out we wouldn't have been let in, since there is only so much space in the golf cart, so be on time). There was room for about 10 + the tour guide in the cart, our tour had 8 people including us.

Inside the check in building was a coffee shop and a little gift shop that had lots of TV show stuff. We didn't buy anything because you can find all of it on the internet (didn't the internet just ruin specialty stores??).

There was also a bathroom in there.

The tour began in a little movie theater where we watched a 5 or 10 minute intro video about the Studio.

After that we exited to the golf cart. If you go in the morning, be sure to wear a sweatshirt because there is quite a bit of driving around outside.

I believe we started out by driving around the lot and looking at all the fake streets and building facades. We ended up in a little town that had houses that you could film inside.

Workers were 'dressing' the small town set for Hart of Dixie (the town square was also the Gilmore Girls' town). We parked the cart and got to go inside several houses.

It was neat to see, there were no second floors, they were where the crew set up lights and cameras. We went inside a Hart of Dixie house and the Gilmore Girls house.

We heard lots of stories and facts about filming tv shows, but I'll leave those out for now.

We got back into the cart and drove around some more streets. Our guide pointed out specific areas where shots were filmed, there were a lot of outdoor ER scenes, and also the alleyway where the upside down Spiderman movie kiss happened.

I forget the exact order of these next parts, and I don't have my pictures uploaded yet to act as a time guide.

We stopped at the prop warehouse and got to walk around. This was very neat, we learned about how props are rented and cataloged. You could take pictures inside. Probably the most famous piece we saw was one of the Casablanca pianos. However, most of the props weren't identified as being from particular movies. Don't be afraid to ask the guide to point out popular props, or to ask if a particular prop piece was in something popular.

We also got to stop at a little movie/tv car museum. They had about 5 Batman movie cars, including the Tumbler and the motorcycle from the newest movies. They had the General Lee, the Austin Powers convertible, the space capsule from the big bang theory, the Ford Anglia from harry potter and many others. You also get to take a picture in front of a green screen for a surprise (I won't spoil it) movie photo that is free!

We drove around the actual studios and our guide pointed out what was filmed where. One of the studios was being prepped for pick up shots for a new movie, something with Will Smith, but we didn't see any actors.

We got to go inside the studio for the Mentalist. I think the thing about this is you'll go inside whichever studio is available at the time. The Mentalist was filming on location somewhere so we could go inside and explore.

Next we got to go inside a scene from a very well loved tv show. Our guide explained that they usually don't save sets. Sometimes they will for very popular shows but they are usually packed away until a museum or exhibit wants them. However, they have the Central Perk set from Friends set up. We got to look around and even sit on the sofa and take pictures. It was incredibly detailed. Any Friends fan would love it.

We drove around the Studios some more and then we parked at our final destination, the WB Museum.

You had to leave your camera behind as there are no pictures allowed in here.

You only have a short half hour to explore. There are 2 floors. The top floor is all Harry Potter. I am a huge HP fan, and it was incredible. There are costumes and props and a few models, everything was amazing. We started on the top floor to make sure we had time to do all of HP. You still need to move quickly.

We almost finished the bottom floor. It had mostly costumes from everything like old movies to a new Batman display to Big Bang Theory and Hangover costumes.

The tour is now over, you get your cameras back and are taken back to the start building where you can browse the shop.

If you want to stay in the area, ask your guide for a guide to places to eat in the area. He told us that if you want the best chance at seeing stars to eat at the Smokehouse.

We, however, had to get in line for the Big Bang Theory taping so we quickly ate at an In n Out and got in line around 12:10. We were let into the show at 5:30, and only 28/29 standby people made it in that day. We were 18 and 19. There were maybe 150-200 people waiting.

If you want to experience a show taping, most of the tickets are on tvtickets.com and are available 30 days in advance. The Big Bang Theory is by far the most popular, most of the other shows like 2 Broke Girls you can show up an hour or an hour and a half in advance and be fine.

The Ellen show and Conan O'Brien also tape there, but you have to get those tickets through those shows' websites.

A Brief 3 Studio Tour Comparison:

-keep in mind each of these have more expensive, private and longer tours

Universal: you stay on the tram the whole time. There are several ride type or show experiences. You get to see a lot of fake towns.

Paramount: very old Hollywood. Also seems to have a bigger focus on movies, but still has TV elements as well. Get to walk a TV set.

WB: focuses mostly on TV. Get to walk a tv set, a prop warehouse, a car museum, a costume/prop museum and the Friends set.

Any specific questions about the WB tour?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

LOVE IT!! Thank you, thank you I very much appreciate the report- great advice about bringing a sweatshirt and starting at the top for HP-the tour is a surprise for my girls- and they are both huge HP fans- so very excited- just one week away

I may just explode with excitement now....
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
uncw89
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! Did you like the Paramount tour as well? Is it a must do? I think we are going to do th WB tour and Universal, but I could do the Paramount one too.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncw89 View Post
Thanks for the review! Did you like the Paramount tour as well? Is it a must do? I think we are going to do th WB tour and Universal, but I could do the Paramount one too.
We liked all 3 of the tours, just for different reasons. Like I said before, Paramount is really good if you like Old Hollywood. We got to hear a lot of stories of Lucille Ball and when she was a big wig. Heard some stories about Paramount 'owning' the greatest old costume designer (Edna from the Incredibles is based off her) and big time stars from other studios sneaking into her office for fittings.

Paramount also definitely had a bit more movie based stuff, like we got to see the 'water set' which was a parking lot at the time. The tour guide has a little tablet where they can play scenes that were filmed in that location. Also, Paramount has the best photo option of all the studios. You can take a picture which includes the old Paramount gates, a pretty fountain, and the Hollywood sign. You can't see the sign from the other studios.

Another way to put it is that I didn't feel like I'd wasted money on any of them, they were all very different experiences.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
LOVE IT!! Thank you, thank you I very much appreciate the report- great advice about bringing a sweatshirt and starting at the top for HP-the tour is a surprise for my girls- and they are both huge HP fans- so very excited- just one week away

I may just explode with excitement now....
The free photo op may or may not have to do with HP....
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the detailed report! I really appreciate it.

I was unsure about the WB tour, since we don't watch shows like the Mentalist. But when you mentioned the HP floor and best of all the Tumbler, I knew we would have to go. DS is a big HP and Batman fan, with the Tumbler being his favorite Batmobile. It would be fun to see the BBT time machine, and DH and I would love to see the Friends set.

Thank you again for all the info!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

We just got back and OhioStateBuckeye covered all the important things- I just wanted to add- SO WORTH IT! It was a great experience- my 12 & 14 year old girls loved it even though much of the focus is on the shows they don't watch. You will still love seeing how the sets are different for sitcoms vs dramas, plus lots of insider secrets about how they do things and how they fool the viewers eye. The Chuck Lorre shows- Big Bang Theory as Two and a Half Men were on a break this week so we went into those sets- we had to sit in the audience area because the sets are ready for next week already- but we got to see how the cameras work, how small the sets are, and other neat things. We got to walk all through the set of The Mentalist- got to see how they add depth to a 2 dimensional camera shot, how the sun moves across the "windows" and much, much more.

Our tour guide was Soni- seriously- call to book your tour and see if she is working the day you want to go. She worked on the sets for years before getting tired of the super long hours so she doesn't just recite facts- she knows things. She was so awesome. HP fans will love the museum.

Side note- my daughter has some knee issues so we asked to take the elevator to the second floor- the security guard has to call for it, unlock it and send you up. He gets on his radio as you are leaving and we hear, "The guests are arriving, please meet them at the elevator". That alone tickled my daughter- it sounded so serious and like we were someone special

We had an 11:30 tour on a Tuesday- left Anaheim at 9:30 and got to the studio right at 11 am... traffic was making me nervous!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
We just got back and OhioStateBuckeye covered all the important things- I just wanted to add- SO WORTH IT! It was a great experience- my 12 & 14 year old girls loved it even though much of the focus is on the shows they don't watch. You will still love seeing how the sets are different for sitcoms vs dramas, plus lots of insider secrets about how they do things and how they fool the viewers eye. The Chuck Lorre shows- Big Bang Theory as Two and a Half Men were on a break this week so we went into those sets- we had to sit in the audience area because the sets are ready for next week already- but we got to see how the cameras work, how small the sets are, and other neat things. We got to walk all through the set of The Mentalist- got to see how they add depth to a 2 dimensional camera shot, how the sun moves across the "windows" and much, much more.

Our tour guide was Soni- seriously- call to book your tour and see if she is working the day you want to go. She worked on the sets for years before getting tired of the super long hours so she doesn't just recite facts- she knows things. She was so awesome. HP fans will love the museum.

Side note- my daughter has some knee issues so we asked to take the elevator to the second floor- the security guard has to call for it, unlock it and send you up. He gets on his radio as you are leaving and we hear, "The guests are arriving, please meet them at the elevator". That alone tickled my daughter- it sounded so serious and like we were someone special

We had an 11:30 tour on a Tuesday- left Anaheim at 9:30 and got to the studio right at 11 am... traffic was making me nervous!
Very awesome! Can you remember any of the facts your tour guide said, or was it more just little things sprinkled throughout?

Also, one thing I was wondering. If you got to sit in the stands of BBT, where did you sit? We were in the second row very extreme left hand corner. I am wondering how the view of the 'side' sets were from other seats. Like any set that was not Penny's apt, the boy's apt, or the hallway.

Glad you had a good time
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Very awesome! Can you remember any of the facts your tour guide said, or was it more just little things sprinkled throughout? Lots of little things- like how the backdrop is painted from behind to make night scenes- there aren't two, and you often see the stars in their high heels- standing still and when they are moving not their feet- because heels echo through the microphones, and how they change up the landings to look like different floors- even moving the caution tape on BBT- but it is all the same place... just little things. Soni worked with John Stamos before and swears he is one of the nicest guys on the lot- very personable. We saw some actor that one of the younger girls on our tour recognized- a new guy in some new show- never caught it lol!

Also, one thing I was wondering. If you got to sit in the stands of BBT, where did you sit? Facing the set far left hand side- about 3 rows up- right in front of penny's apt. Harder to see the boy's apt- sounds like about maybe where you were? We were in the second row very extreme left hand corner. I am wondering how the view of the 'side' sets were from other seats. Like any set that was not Penny's apt, the boy's apt, or the hallway.

Glad you had a good time

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #27
stitchy626
Living the Dream in 2011

Great thread-thanks for the reviews! I'm planning on doing the WB tour in June. I can't wait and am dying to know if there is anything related to the TV show CHUCK still around?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

We're planning to do the Warner Bros in late May. LOVE the Big Bang Theory; I'm sure they'll be done filming so hoping we at least get to see the set. We're not really that familiar with the other TV shows mentioned but are Harry Potter fans.

Really like old movies so we would love to do Paramount also but won't really have time this trip...anyone think we could do both in one day?
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #29
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
Has anyone done the Warner Brother Studio Tour recently? What TV shows are highlighted (LOVE the Big Bang Theory)? If there are a bunch of shows that we don't watch, would it still be enjoyable? Thanks
Here look at this: http://vipstudiotour.warnerbros.com/...y/now-filming/ This is what is currently filming. Enjoy

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
We're planning to do the Warner Bros in late May. LOVE the Big Bang Theory; I'm sure they'll be done filming so hoping we at least get to see the set. We're not really that familiar with the other TV shows mentioned but are Harry Potter fans.

Really like old movies so we would love to do Paramount also but won't really have time this trip...anyone think we could do both in one day?
I totally think both in one day is doable. Just make a reservation the earliest you can at one, you'll have a few hours for travel and lunch, then schedule another in the afternoon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: