Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #376
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpee View Post
Today I went to Target in Portland, OR (I think it's called Gateway). I was buying $144 worth of actual stuff and $200 of GC's with my Red Debit Card. The card wouldn't go through for that amount and long story short, I needed to use my card a few more times or for higher amounts. I then suggested we take the gift cards off. It went through fine. She then tried to ring the cards separately and when I swiped my car the total dropped from $200 to $190. It wouldn't allow me to do it so next week I'll do it again. I may have to do it on every trip to Portland before we go. But the discount did apply. The annoying thing was that they only had increments of $50. But that's like getting a free snack for every $100 spent!
Kerri
I could only buy 6 gift cards at a time when I first started using the Red Debit card. I think it was on my 5th purchase that they finally let me buy more. They only have the $50 ones around here too. When I called to ask about when the limit would be lifted from my card, they did tell me that as soon as the payment clears through my bank, I could make another purchase.
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #377
kellia
DIS Veteran

What section are you finding the gift cards in?
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #378
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia
Electronics section. In my store, they are facing a main aisle.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #379
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Cash registers and electronics at the one I went to. And they were only the $50 ones.

lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #380
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As the others said, they are usually on an end cap facing the aisle in the music/electronics/books aisles.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #381
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Finally bought mine tonight!! It was a long hassle, but long story short, I walked out with 76 gift cards, saved $190! Glad it's finally over
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #382
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz
Finally bought mine tonight!! It was a long hassle, but long story short, I walked out with 76 gift cards, saved $190! Glad it's finally over
Whoa! Did you have to do all $50's?

lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #383
TinkerDisneyDreamer
Earning My Ears

Hi new here but I'm curious about how long do the Disney GCs purcharsed at Target are good for. Do they have an expiration date?
TinkerDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #384
sarahgirl
Mouseketeer

I bought 27 of them in one purchase on my first transaction with the card. I also had a $2000 limit, but I had no troubles buying them. My Target in Nebraska only had the $50 as well. It took 45 minutes on the phone with the CM to try to pay off my package with them but they all took. IMO it was worth it.
sarahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #385
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerDisneyDreamer
Hi new here but I'm curious about how long do the Disney GCs purcharsed at Target are good for. Do they have an expiration date?
No expiration date.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #386
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerDisneyDreamer View Post
Only promotional gift cards are allowed to have expiration dates. For example, a restaurant offers buy a $20 gift card, get a $5 card free, then the $5 card could have an expiration date, but the $20 cannot. If the restaurant offered a 10% discount on the $20 card, the $18 you paid cannot expire, but the $2 promotional credit could.

Since the cards Target sells are not promotional cards, it's just target selling them at a discount, there can be no expiration date.

I know this is the case in California, but I believe this is now nation wide, with some states having even stricter laws about it. By the way, this now also applies to deal sites like Groupon, the amount you paid can never expire, only the promotional amount can.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #387
TinkerDisneyDreamer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77

Only promotional gift cards are allowed to have expiration dates. For example, a restaurant offers buy a $20 gift card, get a $5 card free, then the $5 card could have an expiration date, but the $20 cannot. If the restaurant offered a 10% discount on the $20 card, the $18 you paid cannot expire, but the $2 promotional credit could.

Since the cards Target sells are not promotional cards, it's just target selling them at a discount, there can be no expiration date.

I know this is the case in California, but I believe this is now nation wide, with some states having even stricter laws about it. By the way, this now also applies to deal sites like Groupon, the amount you paid can never expire, only the promotional amount can.
Thanks for the info. This is great things to know. I'm trying to get my family on a budget and to be serious about for our May 2013 Disney trip and for our life in general so I'm trying to learn all I can about getting the most for our money!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #388
lucifie
DIS Veteran

It seems like some Targets have the GCs and others don't. We have two targets near us. I usually shop at the closer, smaller one. I couldn't find Disney GCs anywhere. Last night I was in the other one and found an endcap of GCs in Electronics, just like several people have described. I didn't see any Disney GCs, though. When I was done shopping and went to the checkout they were there. I only saw $50 GCs.

If you're not finding them in Target and you have a bigger Target nearby, you might want to try there.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #389
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpee

Whoa! Did you have to do all $50's?
Yes! But the almost 200$ in savings made it worth it!!
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #390
CherylA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylA View Post
I also got this about 2 weeks ago. Glad to hear it worked. I have to check my store for gift certificated and pick up $500 or so worth. This trip we are staying at the Swan but I will still use the gift cards for meals and a ticket upgrade I need to do. I have to buy $1200 dollars worth of tickets too but I think it may make more sense to get them from a 3rd party for a slightly discounted rate than getting them directly from Disney to use the gift cards. That would be over $1500 in gift cards. I would be nervous they would give me a hard time for that much.
Used my extra 5% promotional card at Target last week. Bought $700 worth of gift cards, (plus another $100 in other merchandise) wimped out on buying more. Went though no problems. Thanks everyone for letting me know about this!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: