Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
jarong
Earning My Ears

Oceanside

My family is staying at the Oceanside Pier Resort for a few days following our trip to Disneyland. Has anyone ever stayed there? Or have any thoughts about the area?

We are a family of 5 (kids are 10, 7, 4) and this is our first time to CA.
jarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Peri

you wear those ears with pride!
I all my VMK friends

Never stayed in Oceanside but have stayed in San Clemente (at a rented condo) and Carlsbad - The area is very fun and nice and you are right by Legoland - a good destination for kids in the age groups you have! Also not that far from San Diego with their zoo and Sea World. And the beach. Good beach swimming near Dana Point.

There is Plenty to do! Not sure if this really answers your question! I dont know about your specific hotel.

Wilderness Lodge - 2007, 2012
Disneyland: Since 1961 - almost every year & sometimes twice a year!
Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Oceanside is right near the marine's Camp Pendleton and I think the town survives from their custom. I've always thought it to be fairly safe as a result of the proximity to the Camp.
There are/were a couple of surf 'legends' that opened up stores in Oceanside; so it does attract the surfers as well.

And aside from the attractions that Peri has mentioned, the San Diego Wild Animal Park might be closer than the San Diego Zoo.
There is also the upmarket seaside town of La Jolla nearby. You might find sea lions on one of the beaches at La Jolla.
You'll be near the Mission San Luis Rey should you want to have an excursion to kill a couple of hours.

I personally like going to the town of Julian; it is an alternative to the beach. But you might already have enough to do and/or might prefer to stay nearer the seaside.

Have fun there. About the only thing that I don't like about that area is the traffic where the 5 and 78 intersect. It used to be reasonable but traffic is pretty slow around that intersection.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I'm sitting at work about 15 minutes from there.

You'll be right by the train station, so that might be something fun to add in. Amtrak has the Surfliner train that runs that route and there are also two commuter trains; The Coaster that goes (obviously) down the coast through Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, down to San Diego and The Sprinter that goes inland to Escondido. Aside from the Safari Park, there isn't too much exciting east, so probably not necessary.

We don't go to Oceanside much, prefer Carlsbad or Encinitas slightly to the south, but everything is close. If you have a car, definitely drive down the Coast Highway to La Jolla, can't beat the views. Since you'll have already been to Disneyland, I don't know if you'll want more theme parks, but we have a few if that's your thing. Lots of beaches and Mexican food

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: