Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #1156
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Great update from Castaway Cay!! Boy, do I miss that place! It's changed since we were there, 7 or 8 years ago. I think we're due for a return, what do you think?

That is odd that there were no teens at their beach. Late night?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1157
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What flew up her butt? Is this a landing strip?

What flew up her butt? Is this a landing strip?

A look at the map revealed the fact that Cookies Too BBQ was just a little further down from where we had dropped our stuff for the day. We weren’t sure what time it was but it had to be getting close to time for the restaurant to open for the day. I grabbed my backsack and off we went to search for something to fill our tummies. As we approached Cookies Too: (picture borrowed from the internet):

We walked over to Cookies Too BBQ along with many other guests. There were three or four people in front of us with plates so we got in line and we were stopped by a castmember that said, in a very rude and loud voice, “M’am, you can’t come in here. We aren’t open and you have to wait”. I told her that we thought they were open because there were other people in front of us with trays. She said “I don’t know how they got them but you can’t get your food yet so wait here.” and it was said in a rather snarky tone of voice. She also said it in a loud enough voice that the people around us said “What’s her problem?” John looked at me and whispered “What flew up her butt?” I told the castmember that we were fine with waiting and smiled. I thought that the smile would be returned but it was not and so we just stood. After about 5 minutes, the castmember simply said “here” and put a plate/tray in my hand. Someone was having a bad day but I was determined not to let her ruin mine.

One note that I’d like to make here is that we were surprised that the plates, utensils and napkins were all “real”. The plates were “real”, the napkins were fabric and the utensils were stainless steel.

We left Ms. Grumpypants at her station and looked to see what we wanted to try. I chose a burger, a rib, a small spoon of german potato salad, some homemade salsa, tomato salad, slaw and a little piece of grilled fish. Oh and a cookie. I couldn’t leave out their name sake dessert dish:

John chose a cheeseburger, a piece of chicken, an ear of corn, slaw, german potato salad, banana nut bread and some chips:

I guess that I forgot to take a picture of Hunter’s plate but I remember that he got a burger and a hot dog, chips and a cookie.

We went to the drink station to get our drinks and that’s when I realized that there was self serve ice cream available. I made a mental note that we’d have to come back later and try out the flavors offered.

The homemade salsa and tomato salad were really good as was the banana bread so we went back for seconds on those. The chips made their way into my backsack so that we could eat them later while lounging or in our room. We walked back toward our loungers and laid down a while to let our food settle.

I feel the need to say something before I start my rant/complaining/etc. We are used to crowds (we have been to Walt Disney World every year with some of those times being mid-May, over the Memorial Day holiday, Star Wars Weekends, early and mid-August, and during Thanksgiving...enough said ) but the guests around us now weren’t the courteous sort when it came to making sure they weren’t spraying sunscreen all over us or not shaking the sand from their shoes around our heads when we were lying on the lounge chairs. We heard several parents tell their kids “Just find a tube and take it. I’m not renting one.” What? Are you serious? People have paid money to rent those tubes and you are telling your kid to just take it as if it were their’s? It was all I could do to bite my tongue and not say something.

As I said in the last post, we chose our chairs because there was an umbrella and a palm tree right beside us. A lady in a lounge chair behind and to the right of us decided that she didn’t want the umbrella up and promptly put it down meaning I was directly in the sun. Ya’ll have seen my lily white skin....I burn easily! You’d have thought that she would have asked if we minded her letting it down or she could have even moved over a chair or two and been directly in the sunshine without ever letting the umbrella down. But no...she just put it down and plopped back on her lounge chair.

**Continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 09-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #1158
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What flew up her butt? Is this a landing strip? Part 2

The sand that had been flung on me from the kid behind me was rubbing my backside and the sun beating down on me was taking away from the “this is my private island” feel. I turned to John and to Hunter and asked if they wanted to go rent bicycles and get away from the sunscreen spraying, sand tossing, umbrella letting downing (gosh that sounds so redneck) and tube stealing for a while. They were game so off we went.

There were two castmembers working the small bicycle rental booth. We handed over our card and, I believe, signed a waiver. Hunter was told that he had to wear a helmet because of his age but John and I could go without. The castmember told us to follow the signage and to watch out for trams. He also said that the trail was 4 ˝ miles long and if we didn’t want to ride the entire way, we could turn around at any time. We told him that we were going the whole 4 ˝ miles and he wished us luck.

With the help of another castmember, we picked out our bikes and we were on our way. I’ve got to tell ya’ll that the bicycles on Castaway Cay are some of the easiest bicycles I have ever pedaled. You didn’t have to put much effort into it at all. That’s my kind of bicycling! We took off and I tried to take pictures but it’s hard to steer a bicycle and take pictures all at once. One of the signs showing us the way:

We came upon this long wide stretch of road and that’s when we all wondered and said aloud “Is this a landing strip?” It sure looked like it and maybe it was. I dunno.

We took the bicycle loop and, being the smarty pants that he is, Hunter whizzed by his dad and showed off his bike riding skills. John said that he could outdo him and promptly scrapped one entire side of his body into the plants alongside the path. Ouch! Of course, we all laughed our behinds off UNTIL we came upon a sign that said something like “Do not touch any of the plants or vegetation as they may be harmful to your skin and cause skin irritations!” Great! Now my husband is going to have some sort of skin rash that spreads over his entire body.

Let’s not show off any more and just stick to riding our bicycles:

Do you know how hard it is to hold a camera in the air while keeping your balance and steering a bicycle? Pretty darn hard:

All alongside the path were various items such as this:

We came upon the observation tower and we decided to stop. We parked our bikes alongside the others there and climbed up the three flights of stairs. My fear of heights wasn’t that overwhelming at the time and I was able to take some pictures without the fear of tumbling to my death.

There was a small “outhouse” with a bird in it to the left of the observation tower which we thought was pretty cute:

Pictures taken, we climbed back down and continued on our bicycle journey. The path that we were on now would take us to the private cabana area.

It was nice and quiet and there were places to stop and get a drink of water. There weren’t any fountains, there were just large coolers of water with cups. Some of the coolers were empty or had no cups. I certainly wasn’t about to hold my mouth underneath the spout and get a drink. Who knew whose lips had been on the spout. YUCK!

The path finally came to an end and we were greeted with an absolutely gorgeous view:

There were several people there taking pictures and we could tell that it would be a while before we’d have a turn so we left without any pictures of us with the view in the background. Oh well! We rode back to the bike rental station and turned in the bikes. The castmember was still there and asked if we had ridden the entire way. When we told him that we had, he seemed surprised. Maybe I’m not so outta shape after all.

We made pit stops and then wandered back to our lounge chairs. There were so many people there that it was hard to even get to the chairs and one look at the water told us that we’d be bumping into everybody if we went out there. I looked at John and then to Hunter and both of them had that “let’s get outta here” look on their face. Before we left, we stopped by the ice cream machines and each got a small serving. We had the vanilla, chocolate and banana and all were really good and helped to cool us off.

We slowly made our way down the pathway to the Disney Dream stopping to look in the shops and to listen to a musician who was playing. It was hot though! You know how hot the Animal Kingdom feels? That’s how the path back to the ship felt. It was flipping hot! We picked out shirts for each of us, a Vinylmation for Hunter, a magnet and a postcard. The small store was blazing hot and everybody in there was complaining about it. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough and was thankful when a castmember said that he could ring us up at the outside register. Purchases made, we continued walking back to the ship and I took pictures as we walked:

There’s a lizard in this picture somewhere:

There’s the Dream just waiting on us to come aboard:

**Up Next: Burning! Believing! Boo-hooing!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1159
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Wow! You had the good, the bad and the ugly all in one day! Good thing you got to the beach early and enjoyed some wonderful quiet beach time before everyone else got there. Too bad about the rude cast member. You were generous giving her a smile. I think she needed it!! Can't believe how parents can teach their children to do ugly things and then wonder why they turn out with the values (or lack of them!) that they do! Your bike ride looked wonderful. I would have loved it and the view at the end was beautiful! Do the cast members stay somewhere on the island? I've just always been curious about that.
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #1160
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Wow! You had the good, the bad and the ugly all in one day! Good thing you got to the beach early and enjoyed some wonderful quiet beach time before everyone else got there. Too bad about the rude cast member. You were generous giving her a smile. I think she needed it!! Can't believe how parents can teach their children to do ugly things and then wonder why they turn out with the values (or lack of them!) that they do! Your bike ride looked wonderful. I would have loved it and the view at the end was beautiful! Do the cast members stay somewhere on the island? I've just always been curious about that.
Gorgeous pictures from the bike ride, which seems good since you had to deal with a rude CM and rude guests on the beach before that!

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1161
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

That's so disappointing that the CM was so rude! IMO customer service is what Disney does best, so anything less than perfection is really frustrating.

Sounds like you liked the food pretty well though!

I'm so sorry that you encountered so many rude beachgoers. I can see how they ruined a nice beach day.

The bike tour looks great though, and I love your coverup!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1162
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Great update from Castaway Cay!! Boy, do I miss that place! It's changed since we were there, 7 or 8 years ago. I think we're due for a return, what do you think?

That is odd that there were no teens at their beach. Late night?
Heck yeah! If it's been that long since you've been there, you're certainly due for a return.

I never could figure out where all the teenagers were. I guess they were all too tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
All caught up.

The Springs trip looked like fun.

I really do have to try a cruise. Castaway Cay looks nice. My friends family has a private island in the Bahamas, only 5 houses on the island and all theirs. That is the life.

Looking forward to more.

P.S. loved the dancing photos.
I certainly hope that you've let those friends know that you're certainly open to visiting their private island. Must be a great life they lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaNJ View Post
Yay! I'm all caught up! Loving reading about your adventures! LOL, almost arrested for an iron, who would have thought? You are a very attractive family, and you most certainly don't look like a "hot mess"!

I've always wondered if I would like to do a Disney cruise, and yours is the first TR I've read about one. So far I'm not sure. I've been on one cruise, on Norwegian cruise line's Norway, almost 20 years ago, so that experience doesn't count, plus I barely remember anything about it anyway. I just so love WDW, that I don't know if I'd be disappointed with the cruise.

Do you think it's worth the money? We're discussing this right now on FB on a private group page made up of DISers I became friendly with on the CB years ago, from posting frequently on a political thread. When we were no longer allowed to discuss politics, we made our own group on FB, and now discuss everything to our heart's content! Anyway, I digress. One of the women said her sister is going on the Disney cruise in November, and she'd like her, her husband, & 3yo daughter to go too, but it will cost $2400 for a five night cruise, and she doesn't know if it is worth it. I couldn't give her any advice, never being on a Disney cruise. I thought about directing her to your report. I calculated paying rack rate at Art of Animation, the basic meal plan, and park tickets would cost them about the same price. It does seem like a lot of money for a cruise, considering what you could do at Disney for five nights.
Glad to hear that you're all caught up. I can tell you 100% that if I were ever to consider going on a cruise again, it'd be a Disney cruise. I'd save a little more if I had to just to go on the Disney cruise instead of booking through another cruise line. Just looking at the ships that were docked near us made me realize how gorgeous the Disney ships are. It was very rare that we didn't see castmembers out and about keeping things clean. (and confiscating illegal irons )

The cost of our 3 night cruise was almost as much as our 6 night stay at Disney. Did I think that it was worth it? Hum? That's a hard question. Looking back, I'd say yes. When we first left the ship, I'd have to say no. But, there were some circumstances that happened on our last night that put those thoughts in our mind. (Those circumstances will be in my next installment.)

I can say with 90% certainty that I would not want to go just on a cruise for our annual vacation. We are too hooked on our Walt Disney World vacations. I know that we would feel like we had missed out on all the fun that we have at Disney.

I think the perfect scenario for our family would be to take another 3 night cruise and then stay at Walt Disney World for our regular 10 nights. I'm thinking that's what we will be doing in a couple of years. Just gotta convince my boss to give me two weeks off.

Feel free to send your friend over to have a read. Tell her to ask any and all questions that she may have. I'll try my best to answer them for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittypatBR View Post
Oh, Lisa, they really should pick you. You would be a terrific Moms Panel member. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Oh, I hope you make it! You would be perfect!
Thanks ya'll! Did either of you apply?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #1163
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
I'm really glad that we got to the beach early because it got more and more crowded as the time passed.

I have no idea what was wrong with the rude castmember that day. The line for the buffet is not that long so we could see (and the castmember could see) the others in front of already getting their food. It's not like I walked up to a place all boarded up and barged right in.

The bike ride was fun and the views were spectacular!

John and I wondered if ther were castmembers who lived on the island. I'm thinking that they do because we could see castmembers standing out there waiting on the dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Gorgeous pictures from the bike ride, which seems good since you had to deal with a rude CM and rude guests on the beach before that!
I hope that the rude CMs attitude got better as the day went on. I've had bad days at work too but our clients never have a clue.

I've come to realize that many people don't give two hoots if they are rude or cut in front of you or say ugly things about others. It's like most people think they are entitled to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
That's so disappointing that the CM was so rude! IMO customer service is what Disney does best, so anything less than perfection is really frustrating.

Sounds like you liked the food pretty well though!

I'm so sorry that you encountered so many rude beachgoers. I can see how they ruined a nice beach day.

The bike tour looks great though, and I love your coverup!
I've always thought that Disney had the best CMs but I can attest that this wasn't the case for us this trip. There's another rude CM story coming up in the next installment.

The bike ride was so much fun! We had a great time. I bought that cover up at the end of the Summer year before last. I found it on a clearance rack for less than $4.00!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1164
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Well, I've been MIA, so I had to go back and catch up on the past three updates! So glad that your mama and Jesse and Lacey are getting to go to Disney with y'all in May next year!

Sounds like an interesting day at Castaway Cay! It looks beautiful, but I'm like you--I don't like being jammed up next to people when I'm at the beach. I'm there to relax-not sit right up under a stranger, especially ones who spray their suntan lotion or shake out towel sand in my direction!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1165
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Random Castaway Cay fact

The large main road down the middle of the island is a decommissioned runway back from when Castaway Cay then know as Gorda Cay was used for various things over the years. At one time a family used to live on it or had a summer home there. It has also apparently been used for drug and rum running.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #1166
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Ugh, rude people are miserable to be around! You had the right idea just getting out of the for your bike ride! What a fun idea!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #1167
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post

Thanks ya'll! Did either of you apply?
Goodness, no! I've only been three times. And I'm a grammie -- do they even have grandparents on the panel? (Yes, I know they have dads.)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1168
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures! I'm getting all nostalgic reading this....I even wanted to board the ship when you posted this one:

Quote:

There’s the Dream just waiting on us to come aboard:

Anywhoo - glad you found some souvenirs!

We rented bikes too! It was so much fun!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #1169
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Sorry about the rude CM and the rude people on the beach. UGH!

Great idea to take a bike ride to get away from it all. You got some really beautiful pictures.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #1170
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

I can't seem to keep caught up! Going backwards....boy that lady must have been the sister of our "friend" at HDDR! Sometimes I wonder what got people into Customer Service...was she just plopped there and was unhappy with it?! Wow!!

The bike ride looked like my favorite part! The pictures were so beautiful and I just love the color of the water! The food looked pretty good too...all though it is lunch time so anything looks good right now!!

Quote:
[B]All we had to do after donning our swimsuits and cover-ups was wait for the go-ahead to leave the ship and step foot on Castaway Cay (which, by the way is pronounced Castaway Key which is really odd because I don’t know about you guys and gals but when I see the word Cay, I pronounce it K). Hey, ain’t no sweat off my back if Disney wants to call it Key, Cay, Clippidy Clop or Kalamazoo, just so long as they let me visit their own slice of paradise.

I had no idea!! I have always pronounced it "K"! I guess you learn something everyday!!!

And finally.... Mama, lacey and Jesse are joining you in May!!!! What fun!!!!

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: