Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #406
Bethislucy
DIS Veteran

Lisa would you do me a favor? Would you go down to Cotton's and eat some of those awesome duck fat fries for me. I wish it wasn't a 12 hour drive I could really go for some of them. lol
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #407
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethislucy View Post
Lisa would you do me a favor? Would you go down to Cotton's and eat some of those awesome duck fat fries for me. I wish it wasn't a 12 hour drive I could really go for some of them. lol
My boss just ate there last week! I told you the food there was delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Add me to the list of people admiring that food! I'd love that tomato soup and the appetizer sampler. I'm definitely going to have to eat there next time I go!

Can't wait to read your next installment.
You really should give T-Rex a try. The appetizer plate is the way to go...you get a little bit of several diferent menu items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Mmmmm- LOVE T-REX!

Your food choices all look spectacular. How did Hunter like his enhanced burger?

What a nice quiet night when you got back to CBR- laundry, hammock and dreaming of a new experience!
Hunter surprised us and actually ate most of his burger without taking the "enhancements" off of it. That boy is so picky!

The hammocks and quietness of the CBR are what keep drawing us back year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
oh my goodness! SOOO much food!!!!! lol It all looked so incredibly yummy except that HUGE burger which made me a smidgin nauseaus just looking at all that meat. LOL

Cant wait to hear all about the cruise
It was a lot of food! There was no way that I could have eaten it all. Next time, I'm going to make sure we eat there in the middle of the trip so I can take the leftovers back to our room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Oh My!!! The appetizer platter just looks heavenly!! I'm wishing for some of the dip/chips now. Love some chips/dip!
Can't wait to hear how you like the cruise.
I could go for just about anything on the T-Rex menu right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdmom View Post
We love T-Rex. The food is always delicious and the kids love the dinosaurs. My husband, Barry, loves the burgers there too. Next time I think that I will try the appetizer sampler.

Great update. I can't wait to hear about the cruise!! I think that I would like to go on one someday, but I am not sure if I want to take the time away from the parks to do so.
You really should give the appetizer plate a try. It's realllllly good!

I will go ahead and admit it now....we did feel a bit let down by the cruise because we kept thinking about how much Disney World time we were missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I really thought I was reading my TR at times! T-Rex is Keith's favorite and we usually get the sampler and Madison always gets the Bronto Burger! I think I may try that tomato soup next week....it looks so good!!!

And I know what you mean by the smell from the blankets! It happens!!
Our families really are a lot alike. Next time you head to our area, let me know so maybe we can all meet up for dinner or something.

Have some of that tomato soup for me when you go to T-Rex! It's sooooo good.

I was so happy when I washed those blankets. I didn't even realize that they had the "stored" smell to them until the Florida heat brought it out. It made me want to go home and wash everything in the linen closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
My goodness, that is a lot of food! That soup looks really good. We may have to try it sometime.

HAPPY 4TH!!!!! Hope you are enjoying your day!
If you like tomato soup, then you definitely need to order the soup at T-Rex. It's very good!

I hope that you had a great 4th as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
Just found your trip report...enjoying it immensely!
Howdy and Welcome! I hope that you'll continue to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethislucy View Post
Happy 4th of July
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Good! I haven't missed much, and now I'm caught up!

That food looks AMAZING!!! I wonder if my girls will be into dinos later on… I love a good tomato soup as well!!

I'm ready for you guys to get on the BOAT!!!!
Girl, you know how slow I move on my trip reports. You didn't miss much at all.

I think that there's enough to keep girls interested in T-Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama View Post
Thanks for the T-Rex review. Can't wait to hear about the cruise!
I hope to get a cruise installment written up very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407-W-DISNEY View Post
Hope you had a nice 4th!!
Looking forward to reading more!!
Thank you! I hope you did too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessietheNCCowgirl View Post
Hey Lisa,
Hope you had a Happy 4th! Gosh it feels like there have been two Mondays at work this week. Working Monday & Tuesday and now back at work today. Oh well at least tomorrow is Friday!

Your food at T-Rex looks delicious, especially that tomato soup!! My family ate there for the first time during our May trip and really enjoyed it. They really do give you too much food. Despite the fact we were totally full with our entrees we ordered the chocolate extinction dessert. It was delicious! I am with you, those hand dryers in the bathroom are too cool!

I can't wait to hear about your cruise! I've never been on one, never really had the desire until Disney came out with it's own cruise line - I may be tempted.
I told my boss that I feel like we were cheated out of a holiday because the 4th fell in the middle of the week. But, I'll take any day off that I can.

Aren't the T-Rex portions huge? Nobody can ever say you don't get your money's worth there.

I've read a lot of reviews from folks who have been on Disney cruises and on non-Disney cruises and they say there is just no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I can't see the food pics right now, but the descriptions sound great. I really need to eat there one of these trips!

It sounds like you had such a lovely stay at CBR and I really cant wait to read all about your cruise. I hope it was everything you dreamed of and more!
We did have a nice relaxing stay at the CBR pre-cruise. Thank goodness because the second CBR portion of our stay was pretty busy.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #408
GaRain
DIS Veteran

I have now confirmed that I must dine at T-Rex on my next trip down. I have eaten there once, but those onion rings look so yummy!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #409
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Not quite caught up yet ... darned work keeps getting in my way. Don't they know I have important things to do? Like read and write TRs??? Sheesh.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this while it is fresh in my mind. Things don't stay fresh in there too long anymore. When you are taking photos of people in shadows, just turn your flash on and that will bring them out better, unless you are too far away. But it will help. Then, if the faces are still dark, you can lighten them up in photoshop.
Thanks for the tip! I guess we didn't even realize that we were all going to be in the shadows. Oh well, I'll know next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo1770 View Post
Yeah, things have changed a lot since 1986. That's why I'm so glad to have found the Disboards. I'm learning so much information by lurking around here and on people's trip reports.

I've never been on a cruise ever. But, it is something I've always wanted to do so I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait to read about your experience with it. Although, it will be slightly different for me since my nephew will only be 6 around the time we go.
The Dis is a wonderful place and is full of information! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Many of my readers are veteran Disneyholics just like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboyx3 View Post
I'm loving the report so far! Can't wait until you get to e Dream portion... As we are taking our first cruise on the Dream in October! Will we like it???
Thanks! I am hoping to get a cruise installment written up very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Great report, I have never been to any restaurants at DTD so that was interesting
We really enjoy spending time at Downtown Disney. I have another Downtown Disney restaurant review coming up later in the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachVH View Post
All caught up and subbed in! Can't wait to hear about the title of your TR. I will readily admit it is what drew me in!
Welcome! As soon as we heard the words "excuse me...", I knew that I'd have to include it in the trip report name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
OOOHHH that food looks so good! I can skip the burgers, but that soup and the appetizer sampler...YUM!!

Glad John and his brother have such a great relationship!
It was really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terkina View Post
The food looked very yummi.

I don't like the hand dryers since all they do is get the dirt all over your hands instead of wiping the dirt off your hands.
I hadn't even thought about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I should never read a food installment when I've skipped lunch. Everything looks so good! That tomato basil soup sounds amazing.

Good luck with DTD busses! We didn't have any huge problems to and from there either this trip.

Making a mental note to make time for the hammocks on our next visit to CBR (I think we're converts!).

Can't wait to hear about the cruise!
I always seem to look at the food pictures right around lunch or dinner time. I don't know why I do it to myself.

Oh yeah, definitely work in some hammock time next time you are at the CBR. I'm just itching for those 2013 rates to come out so I can book next year's trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Glad to see you updated. Looks like a great meal at T-Rex! I am a big tomato soup fan, too, and that one looks good, was it pretty creamy? The color makes it look that way.

I remember the few times we were at DTD last year that it seemed like every time we stopped at the Pleasure Island stop, there was a driver change, maybe they all change there?

Can't wait to get to the cruise part of your report!
It was pretty creamy and was really good. I am a fan of any tomato soup and this one did not disappoint.

I often wonder if the make driver changes at DTD because we always seem to have a driver change or see other drivers switching out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Holy Burger! I think my John would try that, but I could split that sucker between 3 people!

I like ordering sampler platters once in a while, you get of try lots of stuff!

I can't wait until your cruise!
John and Hunter's burgers were big. I got tickled because there was a young boy, about 7 or 8, at the table beside us and he ordered a burger just like John's and he tore that thang up! He ate every little morsel of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Joyces View Post
oh, wow, that soup looks good! Even if it is 97* outside right now!

the onion rings don't look half bad, either!

So funny that Hunter's all legs, arms & feet. We tease my DS that he has giraffe legs & arms and clown feet all the time (nice parents, huh?). He just went into size 15 shoes and the last pair of jeans I bought him were 32x36 and those are now falling down (waist too big) and too short at the same time. do they even make 30x38s? I guess we'll find out when it's time for school shopping!

I think I had asked you this before, but you must have missed it. Do the CBR rooms have a clothes line in the showers? I'm trying to figure out if I should bring a few clothes pins to hang swimsuits up or not.

thanks, Lisa. Enjoyed your update, as always!

~Heather

ETA- I forgot to mention the hand dryers. My DD loves those. she giggles like crazy when she puts her hand in those and the skin wiggles all over
Oh Heather! You guys sound like us....we like to tease one another. I need to make a mental note to use the giraffe leg comment. Try Levi jeans, they come in odd sizes. Right now, Hunter's in a 29x36.

I guess I did miss your question about the clothes line. Sorry! There is, indeed, a clothes line in the bathrooms at the CBR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your meal at T-REX looks awesome! The appetizer sampler plates are always a fun way to go!

Can't wait to hear what you thought of your cruise!
I'm an appetizer plate kind of gal and the one at T-Rex was delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
Oh my goodness I loved those hand dryers! I think I stared at it and then thought, Wow! It's a hand dryer! I was in awe

We got the sampler too I loved the bruschetta! We shared ours between 11 people though so I didn't get to eat as much as I wanted

Im excited to read all about your cruise!
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks those hand dryers are the neatest things since sliced bread.

The bruchetta was sooooo good!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #410
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
I have now confirmed that I must dine at T-Rex on my next trip down. I have eaten there once, but those onion rings look so yummy!!!
The onion rings were crispy on the outside and still moist on the inside. Just right!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #411
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I think I responded to everybody's posts. I was behind on getting replies done.

I hope that everybody had a safe and great July 4th holiday! It was a mere 98 degrees yesterday (I say mere because we've already had some 100+ temps this Summer.) Everything is so dry here that we decided not to risk
setting the yard (or surrounding land) on fire with a random firework spark.

We spent the entire day...and I'm talking ENTIRE day...working in the house. Two weeks ago, we ordered new furniture and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I figured since we were getting all of the old living room furniture out, it would be a good time to do a thorough floor and baseboard cleaning and then wax the floors. It turned into an all day job since there's no carpet anywhere other than the three bedrooms.

Every time we'd get tired, we'd say "just imagine how nice all of this is going to look when we get done". We'd continue scrubbing. And, it did look awesome when it was all done and over with! I can't wait to see what my new furniture looks like in our living room. Oh and we bought a new television this weekend as well so everything really will be new.

Great! Now I've got you all convinced that we are stinky people with stinky blankets AND we have a nasty house since it took us all day long to clean the floors.

I need to get back to work. We have a deadline that needs to be met today and it's a doozie! These people are divorced, with the ex-husband having had a mistress while still married, spending our client's personal injury money to improve mistress's property and take her on trips, and then they are fussing over 217 items of movable property. Lord help me make it through this day!

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 07-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #412
ljcrochet
DIS Veteran

I hope you survive the rest of your day and it goes quick so we can read about your cruise and 2nd half of your trip.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #413
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Yes, it looks like T-Rex will go on our must-do list for next time. I am SO ready to hear about your cruise experience!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #414
deedeew80
Dreaming of My Prince

Hi Lisa! Just read your latest update. That is one GINORMOUS burger!! Looks good though! I love burgers! I order a burger almost everywhere we go. I too am a big fan of tomato soup & that looks good!!! Tomato basil is my fave! I am so hungry right now looking at all that yummy food!!

Well, it seems like you got a lot accomplished on the July 4th holiday! Good for you! When I start a big cleaning job like that I have to finish that day or it will take me forever to get back to it! LOL! Be sure to post some pics of your new furniture!!!

I am so excited that the next installment will be the cruise!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your crazy work day!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #415
Darragh
Mouseketeer

I think you made another T-Rex convert! I've never considered eating there before but those hamburgers are absolutely "DROOOOOOOOOOOOL-WORTHY!" *wiping slobber off chin*

First trip: 1989- off site, 1991 -offsite, 1994 -offsite, 2003 - DCL and POR, 2006 - Fort Wilderness, 2008 - All Star Movies, 2010 - Pop Century

My Pre-Tr Will Work for Disney Trips Sept/Oct 12.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #416
KatMark
DIS Veteran

You missed mine (about the two previous updates), but that's okay...I know you still love me.

That food looks very yummy; I love tomato soup and that just looks right up my alley.

RIP Genie
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #417
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Isn't that a great feeling when you're all done and have a clean house? New furniture! I want some too.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #418
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcrochet View Post
I hope you survive the rest of your day and it goes quick so we can read about your cruise and 2nd half of your trip.
So far, I've kept my head above water and even took the time to write an installment which is coming up very very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
Yes, it looks like T-Rex will go on our must-do list for next time. I am SO ready to hear about your cruise experience!!!!
First cruise post coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeew80 View Post
Hi Lisa! Just read your latest update. That is one GINORMOUS burger!! Looks good though! I love burgers! I order a burger almost everywhere we go. I too am a big fan of tomato soup & that looks good!!! Tomato basil is my fave! I am so hungry right now looking at all that yummy food!!

Well, it seems like you got a lot accomplished on the July 4th holiday! Good for you! When I start a big cleaning job like that I have to finish that day or it will take me forever to get back to it! LOL! Be sure to post some pics of your new furniture!!!

I am so excited that the next installment will be the cruise!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your crazy work day!
We did get a lot accomplished yesterday. It wasn't the greatest way to spend a holiday but it looks so nice now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darragh View Post
I think you made another T-Rex convert! I've never considered eating there before but those hamburgers are absolutely "DROOOOOOOOOOOOL-WORTHY!" *wiping slobber off chin*
The food there is definitely slobber worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
You missed mine (about the two previous updates), but that's okay...I know you still love me.

That food looks very yummy; I love tomato soup and that just looks right up my alley.
Oh no! I didn't mean to miss you...you know that! Tomato soup at T-Rex is so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
Isn't that a great feeling when you're all done and have a clean house? New furniture! I want some too.
It sure is! I kept walking through the house looking at the shiny floors and smiling. It was a tired smile but a smile nevertheless.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #419
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

RinkyTinky said to bring change &lots of it! Grab the change bag, I see a toll booth

RinkyTinky said to bring change and lots of it! Grab the change bag, I see a toll booth!

As you could tell from my earlier posts, we aren’t toll road drivers and like to stick with either the Interstate or highways. We’ve taken a toll road before, many, many years ago, but we got turned around or something and ended up going back through the same toll booth three times. Needless to say, the third time, the toll booth attendant looked at us, shook his head and waved us through without making us pay. Eventually, we made it to our destination but it was at that time that we swore we would never go on a toll road again.

Fast forward to May 24, 2012, and we were about to give toll roads another try. Would we somehow take a wrong exit and then end up in Timbuktu or would we make it to Port Canaveral A-Okay? We’d soon see.

Our first order of business for this day was to say HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY HUNTER! I woke him with a pop on the behind and the song that John’s daddy’s little country church sings for every birthday....Oh happy birthday to you! Oh happy birthday to you! Every day of the year, may you feel Jesus near! Oh happy birthday to you! Oh happy birthday to you! And the best year you eeeeeevvvvvver had!

We always joke and say that the church sings that song for every occasion...just take out the birthday and insert whatever you’re celebrating. They really do! It could be an anniversary, a graduation, buying a house, a new tooth, a new car, whatever you want to celebrate. Okay, so maybe I’m stretching it a bit with the new car but they really do sing that song all the time.

By the time I finished up my beautimus rendition of the old country church Happy Birthday song, both boys were wide awake and ready to get their celebration on. Today, we’d celebrate not only Hunter’s birthday but also boarding our first ever cruise ship.

We did our normal morning routine and then packed up the few things that were in the room and started toting everything down to the SCAR. It didn’t smell as bad as it did the previous day which I assumed was because I had taken the blankets to the room with me. We loaded everything up and then went back to the room for a last potty run and looked through the room to make sure we had everything.

*I forgot to mention that on the day we checked in, I chatted with someone at Bell Services and asked if they happened to have directions to Port Canaveral. They did have a handy dandy flyer at their desk. The directions that I had brought along were from Port Orleans (which is where we were supposed to stay before I added the extra day to the trip) to Port Canaveral instead of the ones from the CBR to the Port. The castmembers at Bell Services told us which way to go and then said to follow the directions on their flyer.

We hopped into the car with the directions in John’s trusty hands and the change bag in John’s lap. One of the tips that RinkyTinky had given me was to make sure we had exact change so it would make going through the toll booths lots quicker. Given our past history with toll roads, I took Rinky’s advise and had lots of change. We pulled out of the CBR, said “we’ll see you again soon” and were off for the Port!

Because I was the designated driver, there aren’t many pictures of our drive from Walt Disney World to Port Canaveral. Usually, I keep the camera in my lap so I can snap pictures of interesting sites but I was too busy concentrating on the road and I didn’t take it out. We chatted while driving along and I was telling John that RinkyTinky said to bring change and lots of it and that’s why the little coin bag was so heavy. Soon, I saw a toll sign and that’s when I said Grab the change bag, I see a toll booth! Dumb bunny me, went through the booth with the attendant when I could have used the exact change lane. Oh well, I’ll go through the correct lane next time.

Several toll booths later, we could see water! We were getting near our destination. I told Hunter to get the camera out and start taking pictures.

When we got to the top of a slight hill, Hunter and I swore we could see the top of the cruise ship. John said we were full of baloney. Baloney smoney! Look what we saw just a little later:

You can see that the bridge was raised in the next picture.

We had to wait to cross and the traffic was lined up a long way back. Our directions said to get in the right hand lane and I was hoping that somebody would be nice enough to let me over. Lucky for me, there was an 18 wheeler who was taking his own sweet time so I was able to get in front of him with lots of space to spare. There were men in the parking lot directing us to the right location and we were soon pulling up to the luggage drop-off. I had told John ahead of time how much to tip so he was prepared. **Remember this because this would come into play when we leave the ship. The porters directed us to the parking garage, we got our parking ticket and we found a parking spot pretty quickly.

I double checked to make sure that I had all of our birth certificates, our I.D.s and our cruise documents. Hunter checked to make sure that had all of his games, chargers, etc. in his backpack and we were good to go.

I made a stop in the bathroom and then we made our way across the road where we were stopped and asked for our I.D.s. Once that was done, we followed the other folks and went through the security checkpoint. This was where John first set off the security beeper/alarm. They wanded him and nothing beeped so they let him through.

We gathered up our things and went up the escalators and into the huge terminal. There were castmembers standing around telling the guests to fill out hte medical form that certifies you hadn’t been sick within X number of hours, blah, blah, blah. Each of us laughed and said we wondered just how many people would admit that they had been. Probably Zero! We filled in our forms and went to check in.

Lucky for us, we were called directly to a window and were greeted by a super nice castmember. I had everything ready for him and he said that he was pleased to see that I had my “act together” because it made his job so much easier. I laughed and told him that I worked in a law office and was used to keeping things organized. In two shakes of a lamb’s tail, we were having our picture taken and given our key cards. We were also given our boarding pass number...number 9.

We found and out-of-the-way place to stand and wait for our turn to board. John and Hunter waitin’:

John and I waitin’:

Looky there! Looky there! There’s the Mickey ears we will walk through!

The terminal was getting pretty busy so we were glad when we heard the announcement that they were starting to board. While we waited, I saw this near my feet:

Can you believe that Christopher Columbus slept on the terminal floor in October, 1492! This place looked good for being so old.

They were calling boarding numbers left and right and, before we knew it, they called number 9! That was us!

As we were waiting in line to have our picture taken, I heard someone say “Lisa?”. When I turned around, it was our Dis friends from Arkansas! I couldn’t believe it! We talked a little while we shuffled forward. It turned out that they were just a few doors down from us. What a coincidence. We said our goodbyes and had our picture taken. I wasn’t sure if we’d see them again but I hoped so. It’s nice to see a familiar face. I knew that just around the corner was our home away from home for hte next three nights. The Disney Dream. We were all super excited to get our first glimpse of the Dream but we also didn’t want to look like a bunch of morons either.

I guess now is a good time to insert a little snippet from my pre-trip report:

I’ve read about and seen videos of the castmembers asking you your family’s name and then they make the grand announcement welcoming you onboard. I can just see the castmember looking at us and then saying "The Disney Dream gives a warm welcome to the Redneck family! Oops, I mean, the McBride Family!" Lord I sure hope that doesn’t happen because, despite the fact that we really are pretty rednecky, I don’t want to come across that way when I board the cruise. I wanna look just like Rose did when she boarded the Titanic....all elegant and sophisticated. Ooops, maybe that’s not such a good reference. I’m sure I’ll have to restrain myself from pushing everybody outta my way and yelling “coming through” so I can finally board the Dream and start snapping pictures of the beauty that will surround us.

I actually was able to refrain from pushing and shoving my way through the line and I was quite proud of myself. Having said that, I was giddy with anticipation. When we were very near the ship, a castmember asked us our name and then acknowledged Hunter’s birthday button (forgot to mention that the guy at check-in gave him the button). They announced us and then gave Hunter a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! A castmember walked beside Hunter and said “listen, they’re playing a song for you”. It was then that we realized the piano player was playing Happy Birthday. I started to tell him he was playing the wrong version that it went a little something like “oh happy birthday to you! Oh happy birthday to you!” but I stopped myself. You know....I was trying to keep from looking too rednecky.

Castmembers were standing around and directing people to Cabanas so we followed all of the others. First, I snapped a picture of the Happy Birthday Playing Piano Man:

And the gorgeous light fixture:

Look at the cute Mickey hands on the elevator:

*continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 07-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #420
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

When we arrived at Cabanas, there were castmembers passing out hand sanitizer wipes (this would be a common site for the rest of the cruise) and they welcomed us to Cabanas. As we went into the restaurant, we could see that there weren’t that many people there yet. Apparently, we arrived at just the right time. Instead of going to the right, we went to the left since that’s what we usually do for the attractions. We filled up our plates and found a table. A table right next to...guess who? Our Dis friends from Arkansas, Bridora! I’m not sure if Bridora remembered to take pictures of their food but I’m hoping that she did because I can’t find a single one of the pictures that I took.

Okay, so I guess this is where the “underwhelmed” feelings started. While the food was good, it wasn’t scrumpdillyicious good like I’ve heard people go on and on about. The shrimp had no seasoning whatsoever to them. They were pretty bland boiled shrimp. I chalked that one up to us being from Louisiana and being used to using a lot of spices to boil our seafood in. We also had small ribeye steaks which were a bit overdone. The lollipop lampchops had a funky seasoning on it. Not the taste but there was some sort of hard seed in the rub they used. The rest of the food was so-so but I have to admit that hte desserts were very good. I had the coconut pineapple ice cream and was extremely happy with it. We all said that it was okay but it wasn’t the greatest food we had ever had.

Once we were done, we decided to wander around a little bit and take in the sites. By this time, there were people everywhere. I noticed that the wait time for the Aqua Duck was loooong and the pools were pretty full. We found several lounge chairs along the side of the pools so we sat down and placed the last phone calls to home (and to Lacey) before we left the Port. We didn’t have international calling on our cellphone plan and I didn’t want to place any calls (unless they were emergency) once we were out to sea. I ain't paying $20.87 per minute!

We took turns talking to Lacey and to Mama. I believe that I sent a picture text to one of my Dis friends of my view:

A zoomed in picture of a cruise ship docked across from us. I have to say that the other cruise ships didn’t look even half as pretty as the Disney Dream did:

Off in the distance, you could see NASA:

The view behind us. It was getting pretty crowded and loud:

Turning back around and looking out:

Remember when I said that John talked to his brother, Mac, the night before and that they were acting silly? Well, one of the things they talked about was the fact that John was going to find the first dingy he could and claim it as his own just in case the ship went down. Well, John just happened to be on the phone with Mac and I looked down and saw this right below us:

Looks like they were testing out one of the dingies:

I pointed it out to John and he told Mac “They are taking my dang dingy!”

I just shook my head and told John and Hunter that I was going to find a bathroom. I didn’t have to go far before I found one near the kids’ splash area.

When I came back, a 15 year old Hunter was relaxing and playing one of his games:

John still talking to Mac and whining about the scallywags who took his dingy:

You can’t see if very well in this picture but there’s a pelican who was dive bombing the fish. Look towards the top right corner if you want to play the “where’s the pelican in this picture” game:

Splash:

There’s the pelican!

Not really. That’s the pelican outside of Cabanas. It was time to go check out our stateroom!

**Up next: Surprise Hunter! It’s your birthday! What the heck is that smell?

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: