Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2326
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Why are there trees in Epcot anyway?

Why are there trees in Epcot anyway?
I donít remember exactly how long we were in Coral Reef but Iím thinking about an hour, maybe a little longer. The monorail was just entering the park and I took what turned out to be a blurry picture:

We decided to walk back towards the lagoon and see if we could find a spot to watch Illuminations! We didnít get to see it the year that Mama went with us because she was too tired and, while I am sure she wouldnít have complained had we asked, we decided to skip it and hoof it to the bus stop before everybody else did. I was determined that we would see it this trip though.

We got to the end of the main walkway and took a right. Crowds! We turned around and looked to our left. Crowds! What about semi-straight ahead? Yep, I saw a few openings and we ducked in and found a spot. This was our view:

Not too bad for not staking out a spot way ahead of time. We plopped down and waited for the show to start:

Where we were seated is a kind of wide walkway and, as it got more and more crowded, we tucked our legs in and tried to make sure that there was enough room for people to get by. Unfortunately, others werenít so friendly and clogged up the entire walkway which also meant that our view was being blocked. Some people were standing up right in front of us. John tapped one guy on the shoulder and asked if they would sit down please so that we could see since we had been there a while. It looked like the guy wanted to say something rude but thought better of it. I couldnít tell if he was ticked off or if it dawned on him that he was in the way. They sat so I didnít care if he was upset with John or not.

After about 15 minutes or so, Illuminations began!

And we soon realized that the tree was going to be a problem. Why do they have trees in Epcot anyway? Okay, so Iím being facetious but heck, canít they make them on moving wheels or something and get them outta the way during Illuminations?

I so envy those of you who have really good cameras and take great pictures of Illuminations (or the other fireworks for that matter) because mine never turn out good:

Dang tree!

Illuminations was just as beautiful and inspiring as ever!

**Up next: And THIS is why I will never leave Hunter in Jesseís care!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #2327
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

It is Disney...trees that move out of the way for a fireworks show do not sound that outrageous!

I can't ever get good night pictures either. It may be a setting on my camera, but I am just not camera savvy enough to figure it out. And, I don't want to mess up the settings I have that do work!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #2328
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Kudos to you for getting a spot for Illimunations on short notice. And to John for saying something to the people in front of you. Seriously, did he really think you guys were sitting there for your health.

You got some decent pictures. That one of the fireworks with the "dang tree" would have been awesome if it weren't for that "dang tree."

We haven't done Illimunations in ages (the kids did it without us last month)...just not a big fan (much prefer Wishes and Fantasmic); but Mark said he'd like to do it this year so we probably will.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #2329
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Aew I love that you're so welcoming hmm..... bed sewing stuff n gym stuff?It's a good thing theres no fridge n computer in that room or might never come out again!!!LOL
Oh Illuminations*swoon*I cry every.single.time.
haha roll away trees that makes me laugh because the first time I ever went to visit the town that my dads side of the family is from I couldn't believe how early everything closed and his friend told me that at 5 pm and on sundays they roll up the sidewalks and store them away.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2330
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

I think your Illuminations pictures look great!!!

I do Illuminations every other trip. I prefer Wishes but it is nice. And you got a good spot, even if you did temporarily have someone blocking you! At least they did sit down when asked.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #2331
FancyNancy
Princess

Just read all this this report so far and am subbing in!.

I really enjoyed your take on the cruise. I have always thought about going but wondered if it would be worth it. I'm not thinking it would be something my daughter and I would enjoy after reading your review.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2332
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I love the Coral Reef, I have had that chicken that Hunter had the last 2 times, but I had it the way it comes over the spaetzle noodles and broth and it is yummy.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #2333
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Your pictures may not be as good as those with the super fancy (and expensive) cameras, but you did get some pretty good ones. The one with the globe in particular, I've never taken one that zoomed in. I love seeing the trail of light left by the fireworks too.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2334
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
It is Disney...trees that move out of the way for a fireworks show do not sound that outrageous!

I can't ever get good night pictures either. It may be a setting on my camera, but I am just not camera savvy enough to figure it out. And, I don't want to mess up the settings I have that do work!
See you think the same way as I do. It's Disney! Duh, can't they do anything and everything? What's so hard about moving a tree?

I'm kind of afraid to mess with the settings too because I won't remember what I had it set on before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Kudos to you for getting a spot for Illimunations on short notice. And to John for saying something to the people in front of you. Seriously, did he really think you guys were sitting there for your health.

You got some decent pictures. That one of the fireworks with the "dang tree" would have been awesome if it weren't for that "dang tree."

We haven't done Illimunations in ages (the kids did it without us last month)...just not a big fan (much prefer Wishes and Fantasmic); but Mark said he'd like to do it this year so we probably will.
John's a pretty vocal guy when it comes to things like that. He won't say it in a mean gruff voice but he gets his point across.

That DANG TREE drove me nuts because it showed up in almost all of my pictures.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2335
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
Aew I love that you're so welcoming hmm..... bed sewing stuff n gym stuff?It's a good thing theres no fridge n computer in that room or might never come out again!!!LOL
Oh Illuminations*swoon*I cry every.single.time.
haha roll away trees that makes me laugh because the first time I ever went to visit the town that my dads side of the family is from I couldn't believe how early everything closed and his friend told me that at 5 pm and on sundays they roll up the sidewalks and store them away.
Actually, there used to be a small cube refrigerator in the room but I took it out and donated it to the Boy Scouts about a month ago.

The town where John is from shuts down almost everything on Wednesday. I kid you not...even the banks shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I think your Illuminations pictures look great!!!

I do Illuminations every other trip. I prefer Wishes but it is nice. And you got a good spot, even if you did temporarily have someone blocking you! At least they did sit down when asked.
I'll take any and every nighttime show that Disney has to offer. I like 'em all!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #2336
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
Just read all this this report so far and am subbing in!.

I really enjoyed your take on the cruise. I have always thought about going but wondered if it would be worth it. I'm not thinking it would be something my daughter and I would enjoy after reading your review.
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! I'm glad to have you here!

After a whole lot of thought and the passing of time, we are actually comtemplating another cruise. Of course, if we go again, I'll make sure it's not when John's having a medicine change.

Please keep posting! I love to hear from the readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Great updates! I love the Coral Reef, I have had that chicken that Hunter had the last 2 times, but I had it the way it comes over the spaetzle noodles and broth and it is yummy.
I do remember the chicken coming with a different side and a broth. Thankfully, they were able to change it up for Mr. Picky Eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Your pictures may not be as good as those with the super fancy (and expensive) cameras, but you did get some pretty good ones. The one with the globe in particular, I've never taken one that zoomed in. I love seeing the trail of light left by the fireworks too.
Thank you! I had many many more that I deleted because they were super blurry. A couple of the globe came out pretty good.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #2337
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

And THIS is why I will never leave Hunter in Jesseís care!

And THIS is why I will never leave Hunter in Jesses care!

Once Illuminations was over, we let the majority of the crowd filter out and then walked over to a spot where the ducks had gathered. Those little buggers were smart. They knew that there were left over tidbits of food lying around and they were on the hunt.

While watching the ducks, we realized that one was favoring one leg and was hopping. It certainly didnt stop him/her from pushing in front of others to get at a piece of popcorn that was lying on the ground. He/she bumped into one that was about to pick it up and knocked it out of the way. We figured that was how he got hurt in the first place. He was a bully and the others had ganged up on him and things got rough. Thus, Mr. Limpy Leg.

A couple of pictures while waiting around:

When enough people had gone, we walked over to one of the two stores located right along the lagoons edge. The name of the store escapes me right now but it has a semi-decent selection. We all wandered around a bit looking at this and looking at that. Then, John tapped me on the shoulder and said look at them!

THIS is why I will never leave Hunter in Jesses care!

Jesse had all sorts of girly things and had Hunter dressed up in them. It was so hilarious!

**Up next: Animal Control! Animal Control! We need Animal Control!

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 02-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2338
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Aww...poor duck with the limpy leg. I've had a bunny hop over to me to look for food (in 2010) after Illuminations, but never the ducks.

at the picture of Jesse dressing up Hunter!!!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #2339
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Should I send you Mark's purse for Hunter?

That was absloutely hysterical...I loved it.

Poor Duck; he probably could never get to anything in the past and decided to be aggressive and got hurt.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #2340
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Gotta say- despite the inconveniently placed tree, you have some pretty nice photos. Love the ones of the fire and of the globe.

Illuminations is a great show. My guys, little and big, are not all that interested in any of the night time shows, so that is one of the reasons I really love staying at the Beach Club. I often go out to see the show, all alone, while the boys veg out in the room.

While I was replying to this, I saw your last update!

Great duck pictures and story.

I was NOT expecting the last pictures there! I can't remember if you are into Harry Potter at all, but the picture reminds me of a scene in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: