Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #2296
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Why don’t we fry them up now and serve them with chips?

Why don’t we fry them up now and serve them with chips?

We had a bit of time before our dinner ADR but, since it was at the front of the park, we made our way towards Future World:

Our destination?

Yep, we were going to check out Nemo and his fishy friends! Not the “I Smell Something Fishy” kinda of friends but, rather, the good kinda friends like Dory and Marlin and Crush. I’ve never been able to get good pictures of the scenery once you board your clamshell but that certainly doesn’t stop me from trying:

We walked into the exhibit area and the first place that we went was the small tank area where the eels, rockfish and seahorses are. A couple of years back, the room was lit with normal lighting and I could get some fairly decent pictures. But, this trip, I noticed that the lighting was blue and all of my pictures turned out badly:

I know that we walked around the entire pavilion looking at the various fish and the Nemos and the Dorys but I can’t find any pictures. So, either they were so bad that I deleted them or I simply enjoyed myself and forgot about taking pictures. Either way, our stomachs told us that it was time to get to our ADR. We had a couple of choices: 1) We could either catch a fish or two from the tank and fry them up or; 2) Go to the restaurant. We chose the restaurant which was probably a big relief to the fish swimming around in the tanks. Where were we going? The Coral Reef:

Before we went in though, I noticed that the “cotton tree” was blooming and I wanted to take a picture. When Mama last went with us, we tried our best to figure out what kind of tree this was and ended up just calling it the “cotton tree”.

Pictures taken, we went on in to check-in for our ADR. Cute seahorse door handles:

Neat light fixtures in the waiting area:

We were given a buzzer and found a seat to wait. A castmember asked if we wanted a family picture and I told him, yes please!

**Continued in next post

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #2297
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Our buzzer went off less than ten minutes after we checked-in. Just long enough for potty stops and picture taking. We were shown into the dining room and were given a booth which provided a pretty good view of the aquarium:

See the family in the picture I just posted? Turns out that they were from Louisiana too and we had a nice chat with them. She even mentioned the Disboards but I didn’t get a chance to ask if she was a member. Our server came and it was the same one that we had the year before so we knew that service would be good. He put the napkins on the table and took our drink orders.

He came back with some plates:

And warm rolls:

Oh and at some point, he gave us menus to look over. Our drinks arrived and we placed our entree orders. Not long after the order was placed, our food arrived. I went to the allears site to get descriptions and it appears that there’s been a menu change. Guess I’ll just have to post pictures. Jesse’s entree which I believe was the sustainable fish:

Lacey ordered the salmon and substituted fries as her side dish:

John and I ordered the steak with potatoes:

Hunter ordered a grilled chicken breast with a side of fries. If you have a picky eater, it always pays to ask if they can grill a chicken breast for you. At the time, it wasn’t on the menu but the server said it wasn’t a problem.

Everything was very good and, because we had been walking all day long, almost every morsel was consumed. It was time to order dessert!

John and Jesse ordered the Bailey’s and Jack Daniels mousse with chocolate pearls:

Lacey ordered creme brulee:

I ordered a mango sorbet:

Hunter ordered the chocolate wave:

During the course of the meal, I tried to get pictures of the sharks and rays and other fish as they swam by:

Everything was very good and the service was exceptional as it has been in the past. We’ve been to the Coral Reef the past three or four trips and have another ADR for our May, 2013 trip. Not only is the food and service good but the atmosphere is neat.

**Up next: Why are there trees in Epcot anyway?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #2298
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Love your Coral Reef pictures! The update I'm doing tonight on my TR is also going to be my lunch at Coral Reef!

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #2299
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

We went to Coral Reef on our first visit and really enjoyed it!

The Seas is one of my least favorite spots in Epcot, but my boys love to explore the aquariums. I just take the opportunity to rest my tired feet!

Cute family pictures!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2300
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Another fun update, Lisa. I love the Nemo ride (and I can never get good pictures in there). I noticed the different lights in September.

I'm so glad you had another good meal at Coral Reef and you had the same waiter. I'm not sure we're going to do this in August as we want to try something new, but it's definitely on our list to return to. And Hunter is a guy after my heart...LOVE that Chocolate Wave.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #2301
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I've never seen the shark that close! Cool.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #2302
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Enjoyed the two updates and your Christmas pictures!

I'm not sure what sort of tree that is either, but it's definitely interesting...

Never tried Coral Reef-mainly because of my picky eaters. Good info to have about the chicken breast!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #2303
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Coral Reef is one of those places that's barely fallen off my list every trip! One of these days we're going to get there. The food and atmosphere both look great.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #2304
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Not sure what kind of tree that is either, but "cotton tree" sounds plausible enough to me too!

Your meal at Coral Reef looks really good! We've never been there, but it looks really pretty inside!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #2305
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I'm not all the way up to date yet, but I had to tell you I love your report so far. I'm just up to where your husband is talking with Princess Tiana. So cute. I will definitely be going back and reading your previous reports.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #2306
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

That JD Mousse was heavenly!!! Coral Reef sometimes gets mixed reviews here on the DIS, but we thought it was awesome as well.
Great family photo!!
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #2307
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Great update! We love the Coral Reef. Your dessert is no longer on the menu. It's been replaced by and out of this world Blood Orange Cheesecake.

What are the chances of getting the same server? Did you ask for him? Do you remember his name?

I'm not much of a bread eater, but I love their rolls.

I have never noticed the cotton tree. Where is it located? That is something that JJ would just love to see. I know we had to be near it at some point because white fuzzies were floating in the air and he was having the best time catching them.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #2308
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Great updates!!!

Thanks for sharing your Christmas pictures. It looks like it was a great time and lots of nice memories!

Fantastic pictures of the ice storm! I know those things have a pretty big impact where you are.

"Ding Dong Ditch"

You have some seriously great shots of John getting his siesta on! Love them!

I have never heard of or seen that "cotton tree" before! Thanks for pointing it out. I love all the things we learn here!

What a super family shot at the Coral Reef.

Yummy, Yummy dinner. Fish ARE food, but it is surprising how good the steak at CR is. But nothing tops the desserts there!

I think it has been about 3-4 years since we have been there. Love the food and atmosphere, but the service has been slow. Not bad, but just has taken too much time out of our day/night when we could be out in the park.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #2309
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Love your Coral Reef pictures! The update I'm doing tonight on my TR is also going to be my lunch at Coral Reef!
I looked at your update and, as I said, I'd love to get my hands..well fork....on that orange cheesecake. It looked so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
We went to Coral Reef on our first visit and really enjoyed it!

The Seas is one of my least favorite spots in Epcot, but my boys love to explore the aquariums. I just take the opportunity to rest my tired feet!

Cute family pictures!
John doesn't care much for The Seas either. He doesn't get a whole lot out of "looking at animals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Another fun update, Lisa. I love the Nemo ride (and I can never get good pictures in there). I noticed the different lights in September.

I'm so glad you had another good meal at Coral Reef and you had the same waiter. I'm not sure we're going to do this in August as we want to try something new, but it's definitely on our list to return to. And Hunter is a guy after my heart...LOVE that Chocolate Wave.
I don't know for sure when they changed the lighting in that one area but I know that it had to have been between May, 2011 and May, 2012. I hated that because my pictures came out really bad.

I thought about changing up Epcot restaurants for May but this was one of the restaurants that Jesse really wanted to go back to.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #2310
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I've never seen the shark that close! Cool.
The sharks were swimming right up to the windows and it is was very cool to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Enjoyed the two updates and your Christmas pictures!

I'm not sure what sort of tree that is either, but it's definitely interesting...

Never tried Coral Reef-mainly because of my picky eaters. Good info to have about the chicken breast!
Isn't that a neat tree? If we go on the Behind the Seeds tour in May, I'm going to see if the tour guide knows the proper name for it.

Girl, Hunter and Lacey are two of the pickiest eaters I know and they really enjoy Coral Reef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Coral Reef is one of those places that's barely fallen off my list every trip! One of these days we're going to get there. The food and atmosphere both look great.
I bet Maddie would enjoy the restaurant so she could watch all of the sea life swimming by. They even give you a fish recognition chart.

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: