Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #2042
denise4disney
Earning My Ears

I am really enjoying your report. I am normally just a reader, and never comment.

Glad you finally got thru.

We have only been to Disney three times, but have stayed at both CSR and CBR, CSR is our "home" from now on. My kids (13 & 15) both agree too. And we stayed during 2 conventions. One was going on when we got there and one started before we left. The only issue we had was parking our car when we got there.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #2043
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear your resort issues are sorted! I had a similar issue yesterday. My friend I am traveling with is a former cast member, and she got one of her friends to book our room for us with a cast member discount. WELL the friend booked me and my friend into a room with a king size bed! That isn't going to work for us. We are both "space sleepers" and bed hogs. We have shared a bed before, but for 6 nights we would probably kill one of the other by night 3. Plus her friend is planning on spending Epcot night at our hotel so we need the two beds. Sooooo after 2 hours on hold I FINALLY got through and got our room switch from POFQ to AKL for an additional $300, since they didn't have any doubles at POFQ. My boss came over at one point and said I must have a personal vendetta at this point to STILL be on hold. I told him I was using it as leverage at this point lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #2044
Mom2m&k
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
(Mama told me again, this evening, that she's super nervous about the convention at the CSR and I can't get her to think otherwise.)

By golly, I don't like this resort choosing roller coaster. I prefer the twisting super fast Rock N Rollercoaster thank you very much!
Tell your Mama to stop her worrying! My DH has been to that same convention for the last two years. Last year it was in TN at the OpryLand (Gaylord Springs) hotel. It is just a lot of guys in khakis talking lots of tech stuff! They are very busy during the day with "sessions" and at night there is usually an event that is planned. I would bet the pool will be empty! Personally I wouldn't take the kids on that trip because he would be constantly busy. I might go but it would me alone time for me in my favorite place! From what I understand most of them will head out on Wednesday. Hope that helps to ease her anxiety a little bit!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #2045
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Well, I can't wait to see how this conversation that you have with everyone goes… but like I said before… Not surprised at ALL that you are back at CBR! It's just your home!!! Stop trying to fight it!!!!

Sorry for the rain filled New Year's Events! But yay for cleaning out some junk! That has to be good for somehting!

Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #2046
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Well, I can't wait to see how this conversation that you have with everyone goes… but like I said before… Not surprised at ALL that you are back at CBR! It's just your home!!! Stop trying to fight it!!!!

Sorry for the rain filled New Year's Events! But yay for cleaning out some junk! That has to be good for somehting!
Oh I definitely wasn't fighting it. I was just afraid that I'd never get through to change Mama and Lacey's ressies and the rooms at CBR would be gone.

I hate those rainy dreary days but at least I did do something productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2m&k View Post
Tell your Mama to stop her worrying! My DH has been to that same convention for the last two years. Last year it was in TN at the OpryLand (Gaylord Springs) hotel. It is just a lot of guys in khakis talking lots of tech stuff! They are very busy during the day with "sessions" and at night there is usually an event that is planned. I would bet the pool will be empty! Personally I wouldn't take the kids on that trip because he would be constantly busy. I might go but it would me alone time for me in my favorite place! From what I understand most of them will head out on Wednesday. Hope that helps to ease her anxiety a little bit!
Seriously? That same convention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
Glad to hear your resort issues are sorted! I had a similar issue yesterday. My friend I am traveling with is a former cast member, and she got one of her friends to book our room for us with a cast member discount. WELL the friend booked me and my friend into a room with a king size bed! That isn't going to work for us. We are both "space sleepers" and bed hogs. We have shared a bed before, but for 6 nights we would probably kill one of the other by night 3. Plus her friend is planning on spending Epcot night at our hotel so we need the two beds. Sooooo after 2 hours on hold I FINALLY got through and got our room switch from POFQ to AKL for an additional $300, since they didn't have any doubles at POFQ. My boss came over at one point and said I must have a personal vendetta at this point to STILL be on hold. I told him I was using it as leverage at this point lol.

I'd have had a personal vendetta if I had to wait that long too! I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for you in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise4disney View Post
I am really enjoying your report. I am normally just a reader, and never comment.

Glad you finally got thru.

We have only been to Disney three times, but have stayed at both CSR and CBR, CSR is our "home" from now on. My kids (13 & 15) both agree too. And we stayed during 2 conventions. One was going on when we got there and one started before we left. The only issue we had was parking our car when we got there.
Hey! Please feel free to comment more often.

It's good to know that the conventions don't affect the "regular" guests at the CSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
So now it's CBR?

I know the convention really scares you at CSR.

Yep, it remained at the CBR. I had been able to get our reservation changed and when I finally got through to change Mama and Lacey's there were still standard CBR room available.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #2047
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Sorry -- I LIKE Lacey's shoes!! My sister was dying for a pair at one point.

So glad you were FINALLY able to get through to Disney and get the discounts applied!!

We stayed at POFQ in May 2010. I do not remember sharing a bus with POR at all.
There must be a lot of folks that DO like them because I see them a lot.

I was so happy to get the modifications made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Yay for getting through...finally. I totally understand. The waits are HORRID and the system keeps going down...over and over. Someone needs to be fired and the whole system should be restarted from scratch.

I laughed when you mentioned you saw that movie. it actually kind of intrigued me a bit. It must not be doing wel lthough, because only 1 theatre of 6 is showing it in our area and only during the day.

I have not been on the Ellen ride in years. I think the one time we thought about it with Claire, it was closed. One of these days we will do it again. I think it's been at least 12-15 years.
Yep, the system would be up and then go down again. I can only imagine how you travel agents felt having to change a lot of clients' reservations.

I think that a lot of people don't know what Cirque du Soleil is so they aren't going to see it. I think that you should go.

Oh gosh, that's a long time to have not been in the Universe of Energy!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #2048
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

So.....all three reservations remain at the Caribbean Beach Resort. After long wait times, I was finally able to get through and there were still rooms left with the discount.

Last night, I got to wondering if we could add another night to the beginning of our trip. While we can swing it financially, I am not sure whether or not John and I could get the additional day off work or if Hunter could leave school three (or is it four?) days earlier than the end of the school year.

I just sat down and wrote out a rough draft of our itinerary and ADRs and then priced out what a room only reservation would cost for the additional day. If we went the value route, it would range between $99 and $143. If we went the moderate route, it would range between $159 to $214. I looked at the deluxe resorts and I can't justify the cost, even with the new promo. Should we simply add another day to the front of our reservation and keep it as a package, the additional cost would be $325 (room and dining).

My plan is to talk with John in a little bit and see what his thoughts are. I may simply book the additional night as a room only so that we can take advantage of the promotion. If we decide not to take that extra day, I can always cancel it.

In 2014, John, Hunter and I will try a new resort, maybe even two new ones. My 2014 vacation goal is to spend 5 days at Walt Disney World, go on another Disney Dream cruise for 3 nights, and go back to Walt Disney World for an additional 6 days. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in 2014 so why not go out all?!?!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #2049
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post

So.....all three reservations remain at the Caribbean Beach Resort. After long wait times, I was finally able to get through and there were still rooms left with the discount.

Last night, I got to wondering if we could add another night to the beginning of our trip. While we can swing it financially, I am not sure whether or not John and I could get the additional day off work or if Hunter could leave school three (or is it four?) days earlier than the end of the school year.

I just sat down and wrote out a rough draft of our itinerary and ADRs and then priced out what a room only reservation would cost for the additional day. If we went the value route, it would range between $99 and $143. If we went the moderate route, it would range between $159 to $214. I looked at the deluxe resorts and I can't justify the cost, even with the new promo. Should we simply add another day to the front of our reservation and keep it as a package, the additional cost would be $325 (room and dining).

My plan is to talk with John in a little bit and see what his thoughts are. I may simply book the additional night as a room only so that we can take advantage of the promotion. If we decide not to take that extra day, I can always cancel it.

In 2014, John, Hunter and I will try a new resort, maybe even two new ones. My 2014 vacation goal is to spend 5 days at Walt Disney World, go on another Disney Dream cruise for 3 nights, and go back to Walt Disney World for an additional 6 days. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in 2014 so why not go out all?!?!

Lisa, I think these plans for your 30th anniversary sound wonderful! We are celebrating our 30th this year; we will stay at OKW for six nights/seven days, then spend one night on International Drive and go to Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins, and then 10 days on Marco.

I'll be interested to see which two resorts you pick for 2014.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #2050
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Your 2014 plans sound great! I definitely want to try a Disney Cruise at some point, and a resort besides POP, though I do love POP.

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #2051
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Lisa, I think these plans for your 30th anniversary sound wonderful! We are celebrating our 30th this year; we will stay at OKW for six nights/seven days, then spend one night on International Drive and go to Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins, and then 10 days on Marco.

I'll be interested to see which two resorts you pick for 2014.
I'm liking the sound of your 30th anniversary plans too! I don't think that I could talk John into swimming with the dolphins. I tried to get him to do that when we went to the Bahamas and he nixed it.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #2052
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Happy New Year Lisa!!! I am so sadly behind, but Joe is having an extremely rare night out with a few of the guys so I am taking advantage and using his fast laptop to catch up. so pardon while I skip all the good stuff inbetween and just catch up on your TR!

I just finished reading about your under the sea excursion & the guy letting his kid run all over the place. ugh! I remember a similar experience on a Charleston Ferry. glad they left and let you relax again. The trip itself looked awesome. I have always wanted to visit tropical seas and see the tropical fish like that.

OMG I love the Protect Ya Tings signs. TOOo funny. Bet that was the source of a lot of family jokes afterwards!

So how were the rum cakes? or were they gifts? Bet those warm towels felt soo good after being rained on. Sorry your trip to the Customs House was so watery. The building is so pretty and colorful!

I like your porthole modeling pictures, but the first one is so perfect where you're just curled up and people watching in comfort.

my multi quote thing is not working for me, but your sunset photos from your porthole are gorgeous! Just what I want to see on a cold January night!

I am cracking up at your banadana escapades and pirate photos!!! You all look like you had a great time at the dance party. In my book its all about havin fun, not looking good.

and I laughed out loud at Hunter hanging up on you in the Teen club, and then your threat to embarrass him. TOO FUNNY!

Castaway Cay looks really lovely, though I would have promptly put that umbrella up right away. ms. I need a tan should have found a sunnier seat! I've had a small bout with a pre-cancerous spot on my face and you'd better be sure I follow my drs orders about not overly sunning myself. who says pasty white isn't beautiful LOL

"I turned to John and to Hunter and asked if they wanted to go rent bicycles and get away from the sunscreen spraying, sand tossing, umbrella letting downing (gosh that sounds so redneck) and tube stealing for a while." did you word it just like that? loudly? (you probably didn't but may have felt like it!)

Did John get a rash from the bushes on the bike ride? You didn't mention it so I am guessing not. That would have been the icing on the cake after the whole day. i'm sorry your afternoon & evening went down hill fast. I understand how John was feeling even without having medical issues....I can tell you that my own DH would not have been so polite as yours and he has nothing but an italian/portuguese/polish temper (ok that does NOT sound good!). Sounds like you all handled it pretty well all things considered. Its good that Hunter spent a bit of time at Vibe while you & John collected yourselves, and perhaps an inroom family dinner (bathroom stink notwithstanding) was a good way to wind down.

Your honest feedback on the cruise does give me pause because how you & John were feeling at the end of the day is exactly what Joe and I have feared would be our reaction. The rude people, bratty kids, lack of manners -- that stuff all burns our butts when we are working so hard to earn the money to pay for our vacations. We don't let our daugher run wild and expect others to have the same courtesy.

I'm looking forward to your return to the DisneyWorld magic.

AAAAh disney magic, there it is. Lovin your Magic Kingdom day and giving Jesse a few sips of the Kool aid LOL

With that I have to call it a night. I will be back to finish catching up!!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #2053
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a GREAT plan for your Anniversary next year!! 30 years! Congrats!!! You've been married for almost my whole life!

Glad you were able to get everything worked out and everyone at the same resort!!!!

When I was in HS, my dad was always going to conferences for his occupation and we always hitched a ride on the company's dime for the vacation. They went to Disney one year, Destin, and Hilton Head to name a few. We didn't see my dad a lot, but we got to go to the pools and such during the day. The year that they went to a Downtown Disney Hotel, we actually ended up going to Universal instead. I wanted to go to Disney, but the rest of the family wanted to go to US. Oh well…

Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #2054
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

I'm all for an extra Disney day.....but, with all those Disney plans for 2014, I may just pocket the $300 for next trip!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #2055
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Sounds like a GREAT plan for your Anniversary next year!! 30 years! Congrats!!! You've been married for almost my whole life!

Glad you were able to get everything worked out and everyone at the same resort!!!!

When I was in HS, my dad was always going to conferences for his occupation and we always hitched a ride on the company's dime for the vacation. They went to Disney one year, Destin, and Hilton Head to name a few. We didn't see my dad a lot, but we got to go to the pools and such during the day. The year that they went to a Downtown Disney Hotel, we actually ended up going to Universal instead. I wanted to go to Disney, but the rest of the family wanted to go to US. Oh well…
We were just 18 when we got married so we were babies. I can't imagine an 18 year old getting married now-a-days. We had way more responsibilities back in our day.

Your story reminded me of one that Lacey had. The Mission was in Orlando for a conference and they didn't have the money for the parks so she talked them into going to Downtown Disney. She said that she couldn't be in the same town as Disney and not get some sort of Disney time in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
I'm all for an extra Disney day.....but, with all those Disney plans for 2014, I may just pocket the $300 for next trip!
I went ahead and booked the room but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. Like you said, that $300 could go towards our 2014 trip.

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: