Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
moody79
Earning My Ears

Customs

We are getting close to our Amalfi Coast ABD departure date. I cannot remember how customs worked the last time we were in Europe and the Customs website is as clear as mud. Does anyone have information on what the exemptions are coming back from Europe? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
moody79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody79 View Post
We are getting close to our Amalfi Coast ABD departure date. I cannot remember how customs worked the last time we were in Europe and the Customs website is as clear as mud. Does anyone have information on what the exemptions are coming back from Europe? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
On you flight back you will get a customs form to fill out, only one per family residing at the same address. The duty exemption is $800 per person. Each person over 21 may bring in 1 liter of alcohol and each person over 18 may bring in one carton of cigarettes.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
On you flight back you will get a customs form to fill out, only one per family residing at the same address. The duty exemption is $800 per person. Each person over 21 may bring in 1 liter of alcohol and each person over 18 may bring in one carton of cigarettes.
This isn't quite correct. You are free to bring in more than a liter of alcohol. One liter is duty free, more than that may not be. Very important to know if you are doing any winery tours!

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; 04-13-2014 at 06:49 PM.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
This isn't quite correct. You are free to bring in more than a liter of alcohol. One liter is duty free, more than that may not be. Very important to know if you are doing any winery tours!
It is absolutely correct as the op asked for the exemptions and I listed what those were.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
moody79
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the information. Now for a follow up question - if you go over the exemption amount is there any guideline for what sort of duty they charge? I recall from cruises that it is within custom's discretion (and the time I went over, they didn't impose a duty). I don't know if that is still the case or???
Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody79 View Post
Thank you for the information. Now for a follow up question - if you go over the exemption amount is there any guideline for what sort of duty they charge? I recall from cruises that it is within custom's discretion (and the time I went over, they didn't impose a duty). I don't know if that is still the case or???
US Customs and Boarder protection has a handbook they can use to determine the duty as each product type has a different duty, reading it and trying to figure it out will make your head spin. Read the Customs website and good luck figuring it out. I cant post the link as I am on my Ipad.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

This doesn't seem to be the full handbook, but covers the basics (such as tobacco and alcohol) - http://www.cbp.gov/travel/internatio...toms-duty-info.
Walt Disney World – 5/02 (CBR), 12/03 (CSR), 9/04 (WL), 9/05 (WL), 2/06 (CR), 8/06 (CSR), 10/06 (POR), 1/07 (WL), 10/07 (Poly), 1/08 (POFQ), 5/08 (WL), 10/08 (WL), 1/09 (WL), 5/09 (BC), 7/09 (WL), 10/09 (WL), 1/10 (WL), 4/10 (Pop), 5/11 (WL), 8/11 (CR), 12/11 (CR), 4/12 (YC), 1/13 (Poly), 3/13 (Pop), 5/13 (BWV), 9/13 (WL), 12/13 (Poly)
Tokyo Disney Resort – 6/07, 8/07, 11/07, 3/08, 7/08, 10/08, 6/09, 10/09, 12/09, 1/10, 4/10, 11/12 (Ambassador)
Disney Cruise Line – 10/07 (Wonder-PC to Nassau/CC), 8/12 (Magic-NY to Nowhere)
Disneyland – 3/05, 10/11 (GC), 10/13 (GC/ABD-Backstage Magic)
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
moody79
Earning My Ears

Yes, it does make my head spin; hence, I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience. Again, my experience with it (when I returned from the Disney Fantasy and went over the exemption limit) was that they smiled and said have a nice day.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Woodview
Mouseketeer

As has been pointed out ... it is a 1 liter tax free

( NO Local Tax paid in Europe ..... this is what Tax Free is )

But a few more " bottles " can be brought into USA but these will have HAD TAX paid when bought in local shop in Europe

AND will have to be in your " Hold Luggage Case " otherwise they will

be confiscated at Security point

How many Bottles can you carry anyway onto a plane as Hand Luggage

( 4 at most .... per person )
Woodview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodview View Post
As has been pointed out ... it is a 1 liter tax free

( NO Local Tax paid in Europe ..... this is what Tax Free is )

But a few more " bottles " can be brought into USA but these will have HAD TAX paid when bought in local shop in Europe

AND will have to be in your " Hold Luggage Case " otherwise they will

be confiscated at Security point

How many Bottles can you carry anyway onto a plane as Hand Luggage

( 4 at most .... per person )
I have no idea what hold luggage is but if you are flying to the usa you can't carry any on to the plane they must all go in your regular luggage.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

For goods, it's generally $800. Liquor is 1L, wine is 3-750 mL bottles. Our first ABD was Knights and Lights in 9/2011. We spent a couple of extra days in Paris and took a day trip to the Champagne region and I (ok, we) came home with a case of fabulous French champagne. We were 6 bottles over our limit (3 per person, DH and I) and were sent to a "special screening" area. We were eventually waived through because the amount of time it would have taken to complete the paperwork would have negated the duty imposed. The calculation was something like price paid x tax bracket = duty imposed. Our fabulous champagne was 12 euros per bottle x 6 bottles over the limit. The tax imposed wasn't worth the time and paperwork.

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I have no idea what hold luggage is but if you are flying to the usa you can't carry any on to the plane they must all go in your regular luggage.
Actually, if you buy alcohol in the duty free shops in the airport, they can go on the plane with you. Just remember if you have a connection in the US, you need to transfer them to your checked bags if you have to go through security again.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: