Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
DebMA
Discovering the World

SE Asia, seeking advice and others booked on same departure

We are headed to SE Asia July 21 with our children and our parents, are very excited. I'm wondering if anyone that has been on this trip has day one suggestions. We arrive late the night prior and have the first full day free. The age range of our group is 13-72, there are seven of us so we can break up and some can do something more active while others hit a museum or historical site, but don't want to visit something we'll be visiting again with the group. Any local restaurants (not the hotel) that you can suggest are good as well. I know when we went to China and the tour started in the evening we were able to touch base with the guides in the hotel lobby that afternoon. Since this trip has day one without any group activities does anyone know if we'll be able to meet our guides that day? I'm hoping so. (I'm also hoping to see one of our favorite guides from past trips if we're lucky.)

Also, if anyone has advice on what they packed that was invaluable to them or what they wish they had thought to pack that would be great. I'm sure we'll need lots of insect repellant--can I pack enough for a few days and then buy more there or would you recommend packing enough for the duration?

Finally, is anyone else out there booked for this departure? Hope you're as excited as we are!
Thanks,
Deb

Last edited by DebMA; 03-27-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Incorrect date
DebMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Woodview
Mouseketeer

ONE Very Important ITEM

A PLUG Adaptor or 2 for Recharging Cameras

AND the another one ( There are 7 of you ) so there will be

ADAPTORS needed for Tablets / Laptops etc.
Woodview is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
DebMA
Discovering the World

I had gotten the impression from the hotel websites that I wouldn't need adapters in these hotels, ditto for United, but I will add them to my list. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Hi, DebMA. We have a couple of people on this board that have taken the SE Asia trip. I'm sure they'll chime in with the information you're looking for.

Here's a link to the Meets thread for the SE Asia trip:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933873

I've added you to the roll call on the first post. So far, it doesn't look like anyone else from here is on your trip, but you still have plenty of time!

Also, did you mean the July 21st trip? I don't see a trip for July 22nd listed.

If you want to give me anymore detail on the makeup of your traveling party, I'll update the Roll Call with that info.

Congrats on booking your ABD!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Here's my trip report if it helps:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127801

ABD will take you to the War Remnants Museum, but otherwise doesn't stick around Saigon very long. We hired a private guide to take us around the city, and much of it is discussed in my trip report. If you want to do something easy on your own, you could take a taxi or take a long walk to the Reunification Palace. Just walking up Dong Khoi street to the famous post office and Notre Dame was fun.

There's a couple of restaurants we really liked. The first was Ciao Bella right across the street from the entrance to the hotel. Exit the hotel, turn left and it's almost at the end of the block across the street. #5/1224 on trip advisor. It was very popular and you may want to email them to request a reservation if interested. Ended up eating lunch there as well another day for my son to grab a pizza and balance out the pho.

Hoa Tuc was another place that was a little further. Best to look it up on a map. It's a ~10 min walk. It's in an old converted opium factory next to a number of other open air restaurants in a pretty courtyard. Food was great. Also highly ranked on trip advisor.

I packed a lot of bug repellant, but don't remember using any. Maybe in Laos.
Needless to say it's hot. Pack accordingly. Ask about doing laundry in Hoi An or Siem Reap. It was fast and cheap.

The guides will be down in the lobby in the afternoon of the first day to meet. Otherwise, you've got the day to yourself.

Funny, I'll be heading to China in June. Any restaurants or not to miss activities you recommend? We're arriving a couple of days early.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMA View Post
I had gotten the impression from the hotel websites that I wouldn't need adapters in these hotels, ditto for United, but I will add them to my list. Thank you!
You will not need any adapters. The hotels all have US outlets. As an aside, the wireless in the room in Saigon is not free. It's only free in the lobby and lounge to which you will have access. Someone on our trip made that mistake and had a large bill to pay when we left.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
deckes
deckes

We went on this trip last June and I highly recommend xo tours for your pre-day. It is a tour through the city on the back of motorbikes. The tour guides are amazing and you can book online. There is a morning tour of the city and also a food tour at night that other people in our group went on. I cannot say enough about this tour - was a highlight of our trip. I am not adventurous and felt completely safe and comfortable doing it. We never had to use our insect repellent.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
WDWMaggie
Earning My Ears

I did the trip in October with Chis and Tony as the guides and it was far and away the best ABD trip I've done.

No adaptors needed.

I would bring electrolyte tabs or something of the like. You'll need them.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
DebMA
Discovering the World

Also, did you mean the July 21st trip? I don't see a trip for July 22nd listed.

If you want to give me anymore detail on the makeup of your traveling party, I'll update the Roll Call with that info.

Congrats on booking your ABD!

Sayhello

Yes, it is July 21st. Between how long it takes to get there, the time change and the fact that the first day is all on our own I'm all messed up with timing. Thank you!
So excited to see so many responses. Our group of 7 includes my parents and MIL, all 71-73. It's is the first ABD trip for all of them. My oldest son will be 16 and this is his 2nd ABD, the first being Costa Rica maybe 7 years ago. My younger son is 13, he's been to CR and two summers ago he did SW Splendors with my husband and I. My husband and I did Spain, Adults-only maybe 5 years ago and then China (adults only) 3 years ago. That was such an unbelievable trip and I'm looking forward to sharing some suggestions with someone who replied to my question. I appreciate you listing us and hopefully we'll come across someone else on our trip.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
DebMA
Discovering the World

Very important to know, particularly with two teenagers. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
DebMA
Discovering the World

[QUOTE=Cousin Orville;51050859

Funny, I'll be heading to China in June. Any restaurants or not to miss activities you recommend? We're arriving a couple of days early.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to reply to this in a message but it wouldn't send, apparently I need to have posted 10 times first. I DO have suggestions for your first day or two but they're off topic here so I'll post a few more times and then message you.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
DebMA
Discovering the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckes View Post
We went on this trip last June and I highly recommend xo tours for your pre-day. It is a tour through the city on the back of motorbikes. The tour guides are amazing and you can book online. There is a morning tour of the city and also a food tour at night that other people in our group went on. I cannot say enough about this tour - was a highlight of our trip. I am not adventurous and felt completely safe and comfortable doing it. We never had to use our insect repellent.
Would you put a nervous 13year old on the back of one of them? Sounds great for three of us, maybe I can pass the younger one onto a grandparent. I will check it out. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
DebMA
Discovering the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWMaggie View Post
I did the trip in October with Chis and Tony as the guides and it was far and away the best ABD trip I've done.

No adaptors needed.

I would bring electrolyte tabs or something of the like. You'll need them.
Sounds like good advice-if you needed them in Oct I'm sure we'll need them in July. I'll have to see if they have any at my regular grocery store. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
DebMA
Discovering the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville;

Hoa Tuc was another place that was a little further. Best to look it up on a map. It's a ~10 min walk. It's in an old converted opium factory next to a number of other open air restaurants in a pretty courtyard.
We will check out Hoa Tuc. I made the mistake in China of thinking I'd get burned out on Chinese food but I left wishing I'd enjoyed it at every meal. Don't want to make the same mistake in Vietnam.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMA View Post
I was trying to reply to this in a message but it wouldn't send, apparently I need to have posted 10 times first. I DO have suggestions for your first day or two but they're off topic here so I'll post a few more times and then message you.
Please don't worry about being a little off topic in this post (especially since it's your own thread!). Feel free to reply to Cousin Orville's questions here if you want to. I'm sure there are others who'd like to hear the answers, too. We're a little bit looser here on "off-topic-ness", since it's generally a slower-moving Forum.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
july 21, se asia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: