Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #106
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

k&a&c'smom I believe you have outdone yourself on this GF thread!! There's more fun, more info and more day dreaming than before ! YAY!! it'll get me through nicely till we can FINALLY book!!! (hopefully, they will release 2013 packages soon....as I'm making my family insane!)

Thanks for ALL the hard work you put into this thread! This is primarily the reason why we decided to come back to the Grand instead of trying the YC. Everyone's pictures and stories keep bringing me back!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #107
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - awww, I'm glad you are finally getting the chance to visit the GF again.

I laughed about your packing slip, you would get along well with DD. I tend to scribble some notes to myself of items I want to be sure get packed, but she makes lists. LOL about the suitcases.
My Dh is like you, he is a note taker. Me no way. It sounds like your DD is definitely my kind of girl. I am the complete opposite of when I was younger. I gave a new meaning to the word messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
CoachBagFanatic-I am getting excited for you and for everyone headed to the Grand! I love the hot weather too. I do NOT like winter here in Connecticut.
Oh thanks so much. I think the emotion is stemming from a couple of things. #1 our 25th anniversary, #2 we haven't stayed at the GF since 2008 #3 our DS16 is just as excited as we are.

We were pretty lucky here in NJ over the winter time. Very little snow which I was so happy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Just returned home..visited the Grand...it is amazing as always!!! Booked a BB for my Sept trip GV to save $$$ but I feel the need to make a call!!!

Teen dance
Hey my buddy pas130 good to see you back. I hope you and your family had a wonderful trip. We've all missed you.

Isn't this new thread awesome. k&a&c'smom has really done an awesome job.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #108
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Hey my buddy pas130 good to see you back. I hope you and your family had a wonderful trip. We've all missed you.

Isn't this new thread awesome. k&a&c'smom has really done an awesome job.
Missed you too!!!! We had a great trip. HRH & I loved our stroll & snack at the GF...no CL availability at GF with BB...but we got a great deal so all good
she always does a great job...does she not?

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #109
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Check out my ticker!! Im so excited! Im also trying not to worry about crowds and weather! we normally go Sept but June will be the only time we have my step son.. We go back again in Sept but will be at BC..

Oh pls let the crowds and weather be good! Last June it rained, rained and rained and was very crowded by mid June..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #110
Lyons Family
Mouseketeer

Seems so hard to believe that it is almost a year since our last awesome visit to THE GRAND FLORIDIAN.

This year cruising the Western Carribean.

Now wait.
Maybe if I whine.
No.
Maybe if I really whine...........

Looking into booking the GF in December.
Arround the Dec. 17th.
So oh experienced travel buffs.
Never did Disney in December.
How are the crowds.

All of our vacations have been in the summer.

Eagerly awaiting responses.

Sue and crew

WDW Wilderness Lodge 2001
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2004
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2005
Eastern Magic 7 Day Cruise 2006
WDW Grand Floridian 2007
Western Mariner of the Sea August 2008
Hawaii land vacation 2009
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2010
WDW Grand Floridian June 2011
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2012
Allure of the Seas Western Carribean 2013
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2014
Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #111
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments. Everyone contributes so much to this thread! I do have many more photos to add to the 1st page, I had to take a break, sitting hunched over the computer tends to make my ol' bones ache! I'm going to try to get some more work done later this week.

Lyons Family - we've been to WDW in that week a couple of times, and it was very quiet until around the 23rd or so. Keep in mind, this was several years ago, I think the secret is out!

pas130 - welcome back! I hope you had a fabulous time, hope you'll give us details.

bluejasmine - almost there!

sydneysmom - I hope the 2013 packages are out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

jd99 - Nine more days, woohoo!

Jungle Cruiser - thanks for that photo, love the parade of maids.

CoachBagFanatic - well, she can still be a little messy (college student after all), but she's organized at least!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #112
zan65
Mouseketeer

Seeking room request suggestions

I am looking for suggestions re room requests for our grand gathering - we are arriving at GF on 6/14. There are 9 of us ranging in age from 4 to 76. Some arriving at 3pm, rest due to arrive at 9pm. Eldest has some heart/health issues - not wheelchair bound though. We booked 3 outer bldg garden view rooms - only request on file is to be in same bldg near one another (connecting rooms not req'd). WDW reserv dept advised us to start there and upgrade as needed - otherwise we'd incur $ charge to downgrade. We already booked dining plan so figuring that club level wouldn't be worth the addt'l expense. Not sure though if we should try for upgraded view.

Last time we stayed at GF we were upgraded to a MK view in a dormer room - 5th fl Sago if memory serves. Wondering with construction and health issues this trip whether we should (1) upgrade view; (2) request particular bldg - with understanding it's not guaranteed; (3) request anything else in light of construction. Anyone have suggestions? Do I request specifics (like 5th floor Sago) or keep it more general? Also, we are within date range to check in online. Since we have 2 different arrival times and 3 rooms w/ possibility of addt'l requests, is it still advisable to check in online or better to wait and talk to someone at desk?

Trip is quickly approaching, so feedback is greatly appreciated.
1982 off property; 1989 DL; 1993 DL (for cousin's wedding); Sept. 1996 GF (honeymoon); Dec. 1998 YC; Dec. 1999 YC; Dec. 2006 BCV (1st trip w/ DD & DS); Dec. 2008 BVW (Grand Gathering); Jan. 2010 BLT (1st ever solo trip); Jun 2010 GF; Jun 2012 GF
Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #113
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

zan65 - Welcome! Glad you've joined us!

With your trip being only 7 days away, whatever requests you want to add need to be done now. They usually download the reservation at about 4-5 days out, I think.

I wouldn't expect to be ugraded for 3 rooms, especially during a busy time like June. If you want an upgraded view, it is better to do so in advance, rather than expect it to happen at check in. Is there a reason DRC thought you might want to downgrade at check in? Not very common, I'm surprised they gave you that suggestion.

If you keep the garden view - and we book garden view if not booking CL - I would request to be away from the construction. Any of the outer buildings except Big Pine Key would be good, but Sago Cay would be the best for guaranteeing you are out of it entirely. With the pool games having been moved to the courtyard for the time being, it is busier in the afternoon and evening.

We prefer an upper floor for the overall view of the resort, but with an older guest with you, it might be nice to request first floor. There are elevators, of course, so you may not care about the floor.

Making specific requests is perfectly fine, though you may not get everything. My request is usually "upper floor, non-dormer, Conch Key" or whichever building I prefer at the time. Sometimes, I request "marina view" or "pool view" if we are booked in Sugar Loaf (club level).

We have not had great luck with online check in; with 3 rooms to deal with, you are probably best to stick with regular check in, so you can discuss your room assignment with the CM.

Good luck, how exciting your trip is in a week.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #114
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments. Everyone contributes so much to this thread! I do have many more photos to add to the 1st page, I had to take a break, sitting hunched over the computer tends to make my ol' bones ache! I'm going to try to get some more work done later this week.

pas130 - welcome back! I hope you had a fabulous time, hope you'll give us details.
And a virtual back rub for you too my friend I did a mini TR on the RC thread! And HRH let me know meltdown style...she CANNOT stay at GF without CL so I will keep fingers crossed! We took the bus over from Pop....it was glorious!

I dunno if iheartthemouse let you know....she was upgraded from standard RPC to 2BR RPC suite...this after not getting a daybed for her large party at YC CL....I can't wait for her pics!!! We did Pop, offsite condo, RPR, HRH CL (last minute switch) then Myrtle Beach...I almost crossed to the darkside...US/IoA was AMAZING!!! More details to follow...still adjusting to being home

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #115
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

pas130 - thanks for the virtual back rub, much appreciated! I will head over to your thread in a bit to read your mini TR, so exciting! I'm glad you had such a great time.

How awesome iheartthemouse was given such an incredible upgrade! Can't wait to hear the details.

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 06-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #116
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
pas130 - thanks for the virtual back rub, much appreciated! I will head over to your thread in a bit to read your mini TR, so exciting! I'm glad you had such a great time.

How awesome [i]iheartthemouse[/b] was given such an incredible upgrade! Can't wait to hear the details.
A Grand update...I called CRO to check CL availabiliy for my princess.she suggested BC/YC/Poly...I mentioned maybe WL or CR as well..then she was like, you know I will check GF first...SL and RPC available wth the 35% BB offer...so RPC in September!!!! Tea & scone party and the price is right

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #117
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
k&a&c'smom I believe you have outdone yourself on this GF thread!! There's more fun, more info and more day dreaming than before ! YAY!! it'll get me through nicely till we can FINALLY book!!!
Agreed!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #118
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
A Grand update...I called CRO to check CL availabiliy for my princess.she suggested BC/YC/Poly...I mentioned maybe WL or CR as well..then she was like, you know I will check GF first...SL and RPC available wth the 35% BB offer...so RPC in September!!!! Tea & scone party and the price is right
Great deal, so glad you were able to book CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Agreed!
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #119
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Pas, yay for the RPC in September! You and HRH will have an amazing time...I haven't spoken to my DH about staying an extra day or two, but will when the time is right. I would soooo love to meet you and HRH at the GF

zan65, I would like to echo what k&a&c'smom said, make any requests you have soon! It's the beginning of a very busy time of year, so changes at the last minute will be tougher. I also think more and more people are becoming aware of the construction and I can't imagine anyone wants a construction view . Keep the requests as simple as possible, and I think you chances of getting your request is fairly good. For example, any 3 GV rooms in the same building other than Big Pine Key is probably better than a specific building, specific floor.

A taste of what's to come for those of you on your way to the GF!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #120
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great deal, so glad you were able to book CL.
Me too...me too....and if the budget becomes an issue...since our flight home is6am I may cancel the last day and do the MCO Hyatt...all good!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
Pas, yay for the RPC in September! You and HRH will have an amazing time...I haven't spoken to my DH about staying an extra day or two, but will when the time is right. I would soooo love to meet you and HRH at the GF
I hope you do I think seeing GF though her eyes ill make you love it even more

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: