Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
CinderALLIE
DIS Veteran

Congratulations.

Looking forward to seeing more of your plans

18/10/09-9/9/09 - First trip to Disneyland with side trip to Walt Disney Family Museum *Backstage Magic Tour and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel*

MY LIFE SUCKS!! No trips planned, hopefully late 2014 or sometime in 2015
CinderALLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

Stephanie,

Glad to see you started a planning journal. Yay!!

Your plans look great so far. Can't wait to read more.
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
DFTWbride2013
If I had a world of my own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuous girl View Post
Welcome & Great updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderALLIE View Post
Congratulations.

Looking forward to seeing more of your plans
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
Stephanie,

Glad to see you started a planning journal. Yay!!

Your plans look great so far. Can't wait to read more.
Thanks all!

Taking a break right now, I'm going nuts waiting to find out what planner was assigned to us. I'm hoping we'll hear from someone next week! I also can't wait to get those APs in the mail. For now, I'm just practicing my heat embossing so I can work on the invitations soon... Our STD's are in their envelopes, addressed, embossed on the front, sealed on the back, and ready to go! Getting those out tomorrow, I'm so excited! It's starting to become real.

DFTWbride2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
DFTWbride2013

Not an update so much as some venting. We got our wedding planner assigned last week. She called on Wednesday, Chrissy Owen-Walsh. Told us that her assistant would be emailing us our planning kit and details on scheduling our PS. Didn't get anything, so Alec called the next evening and she told us it takes 3-4 business days. I was already irritated because plenty of people told me they got theirs the same day as their phone call. I don't understand why it should take so long to send a quick generic email, but I said okay. Fine. I'll wait. Well, it's now the end of the 4th business day and still nothing! I know my wedding isn't the only one, and not everything can happen right away, but honestly, it's a freaking GENERIC email that EVERYONE gets. It's not that time-consuming, I'm sure! So why the heck is it taking so long?

On top of that, we called the photography department ~2 weeks ago and never got a call back. Our sales consultant (Diane Mahoney-Brown, she was wonderful! Very knowledgeable and quick to answer all of our questions. I loved her!) told us we could call photography and ask about availability for a MK photo shoot the week of our wedding. So, we called, and never heard back from them either.

If we can't get any information for our wedding, how am I supposed to plan it? We have less than 3 months until we're at the 6 month mark. I just want some freaking basic information. If things don't start looking up I'm not sure I want to go though with this. I refuse to invest thousands of dollars into a company that can't send a generic email or return a phone call. What happens when we get into the more complicated things? This has me so stressed out. I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle the next 9 months. Worst case, we'll cancel the wedding and just take a family vacation somewhere and elope. Between being annoyed by Disney and having drama with the future in-laws, that's sounding better and better.....

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
DFTWbride2013

Phew, I was in a bad mood during my last post! Sorry about that. Nothing gets me more angry than a nosey FMIL. I swear I'm not a Bridezilla!

Anyway, quite a bit has changed with the wedding now. The biggest thing is our change of venues. Here's the story!

We went to see Japan while we were in Epcot and I absolutely didn't like it for our ceremony. At first, I got tingly and excited that we were about to step into the area we would be getting married in. As we walked around, however, my excitement turned into disappointment and fear. We wanted to exchange vows on the bridge, but it's much too narrow and wouldn't fit us (especially me being a big girl and probably in a big poofy dress) and the officiant comfortably. There's also a tree in the middle of the courtyard where I wanted the aisle to be, right in the middle of where I wanted everyone to sit. I took mental notes of the area and a few pictures! Once we got home we started thinking of ways we could work around the problem areas, but nothing that would be smooth enough for me. We'd also planned on putting our bridesmaids and groomsmen on either side of the bridge, but then there wouldn't have been much room for us to walk onto the bridge once they're in place. I was also afraid of them appearing too separated from us if we're on the bridge and they're next to it. Why have our friends be there to stand next to us if they're not actually next to us?

The view from the bridge. Beautiful, but I think I would have felt a little too far away from our guests.

The bridge itself. Way too narrow for what we wanted to do!

While we were in Epcot, we also visited Morocco to see our dessert party location. I didn't like it at all. I imagined it feeling more private, but instead I felt like we would be hiding in a corner. So we decided to ask about the location I originally wanted anyway (I'm still not sure why I decided on Morocco when I liked another location better).

Here's the Morocco Oasis area. I also didn't like that nasty dirt area way to the back. It looked worse in person than it does in the picture.

It would have been good for pictures though! One I got of Alec.

I was also worried that we were over-feeding people with our current plan and everyone would be too full by the DP. I'd been worried about this from the beginning, but Alec always insisted it would be fine. I snapped out of it finally and realized that he always says everything will be fine! He doesn't look at the big picture most of the time, and he has much more of a "let's spend money on things we want and hope it turns out well" attitude with the wedding than I do.

So here's the new plan, with our new venues-

We moved our ceremony to the Wedding Pavilion (can you believe it's available? I couldn't!) at 10am. From 11am-3pm is our pre-reception/reception at Whitehall Room. There'll be a break from 3-7pm for kids to nap and Alec and I to relax and breathe. Then 7pm-9:30pm at Italy Isola West. We'll be serving appetizers first, for people that skipped dinner, and then we'll have desserts. We'll be using The Attic for our farewell breakfast the next morning, before we start our official honeymoon time. We both loved the Attic too much, we absolutely couldn't let it go entirely. Especially the breathtaking view from the balcony!

View of the Boardwalk, taken from The Attic's balcony during our site visit.

I'm so insanely relieved right now, I have motivation and fuel to start planning again! I was too stressed over our old plans.

I'm also happy to report that our wedding planner seems AMAZING! I emailed her on Thursday about changing venues (with no clear plan of what I wanted at the time), and by Saturday morning I woke up to an email of her confirming our new plan. She helped us redo our entire wedding in TWO DAYS! I'm so impressed. We never even had to go through her assistant for anything, she handled all the communication herself. I do find it amusing that she was able to handle this in two days, but a generic planning kit took a whole week. Good to know we can count on her for the big things!

I have more to post, but I'm going to take a little break.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
DFTWbride2013

So, with new changes, comes more new changes! It's only logical.

I hate to say it, but Alec really hasn't been much help. I took a month off from wedding planning because I was getting too stressed out and upset about his lack of concern with everything wedding-related. He's actually the one that wanted a wedding, not me, so why am I stuck planning it all by myself? So in that time, I thought about the wedding off and on but didn't do any research, write anything down, didn't go out of my way to do any kind of planning. I guess it ended up being a good thing, because inspiration sure did strike!

We've decided on an Alice in Wonderland-inspired theme. We actually decided this a couple of weeks ago, but I wanted to give myself time to really make sure it was something I would be happy with. I was watching Alice in Wonderland (the Disney cartoon version, it's one of my absolute favorites) and they got to the scene with the mad tea party. I love it! All of a sudden, I pictured the Whitehall room with pink linens, tea pot centerpieces, and brightly colored lanterns from the ceilings (instead of the shades of pink I was thinking of before). I love it! We're also going to have Alice and the Mad Hatter as guests. We're debating on whether we'll still have Mickey and Minnie or not. I'm still in love with the cake I posted before, which I found out is the "Original Mad Hatter" design they offer. It actually fits with the theme now! There's only a couple of things I'm still unsure of. We don't know if we're going to keep the chairs the room comes with, or if we'll do chiavari chairs. I also need to figure out if I'd rather do soft-colored flowers like light pinks, creams, and maybe blue hydrangea, or if I want to do something more bold like brightly colored tulips or something along those lines.

Tea pot centerpieces, something like this.

These were the chairs in Whitehall Room during our site visit. We were told they're the ones that come with the room. I wish I'd sat in one to see if they're comfortable or not.

I've also decided that to go with the theme, we'll have character names from the movie as our table names. I'm only assigning tables, not seats, so we decided to do a framed list instead of place cards. It will say something like "Welcome to Wonderland" or "Welcome to the Mad Tea Party" or something along those lines. Then it will explain how to find your seat. There will be 4 tables, so on the list will be 4 quotes from 4 different characters. Under each quote is a list of names. To find your table, you have to remember which character said the quote that your name is under.

For example: "Off with their Heads!" would be the quote, then 8 names listed underneath. Those people would have to remember that the Queen of Hearts said that, and then go find the Queen of Hearts table. I have to find a shorter and more clever way to explain that at the wedding, but I'm not worried about it just yet.

The ceremony is where I'm kind of stuck right now. The wedding pavilion is gorgeous, but I do want to add some decor. I had an idea of giving it touches to remind our guests of the scene in the movie with the royal courtyard, where they're painting the roses red. But what can I do with red roses? Maybe hearts somewhere? To be honest, I'm not sure yet, but it's a start. I'll just use this as an excuse to watch the movie again!

I also contacted our first choice for an officiant, Reverend Kevin Knox. He's available, yay! So that's all set. I can't even explain how stressed out I was just thinking of looking for another officiant if Rev Kev and his wife were both booked. I've heard such great things about them, and I love how they'll let you completely customize your ceremony. We're not religious at all so I don't want a cookie-cutter super religious ceremony. It would be awkward and not as meaningful since it wouldn't represent us.

I still haven't contacted Dara to schedule our photography and to find out if the date we want for our in-park photos is available. I really need to get on that, but I'm not looking forward to talking to her. I might do it Thursday or Friday. I wanted Alec to call but he can't even remember which parks we want or on what day no matter how many times we go over it, so it's another thing I'm left to do myself.

Oh, I also got our planning session and menu tasting scheduled last week! Our planning session is on September 14th from 9am-1pm, followed by our menu tasting at 2:30. I absolutely can not wait to get to go into the GF's kitchen like I've seen in so many other brides' pictures. I'll definitely be bringing my camera for that!

We've been working on looking through the lists and lists of food and we have our menus, I think. We just haven't gone through to decide what we definitely feel we need to taste. I'll post those separately.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
DFTWbride2013

Food!

Here's our menu lists! Please feel free to make any comments or criticism on any of the items on here, especially if you've found something to be particularly good or bad.

Pre-Reception:
-bacon-wrapped scallops with thai sugar glaze
-bacon crusted beef & blue cheese with balsamic sun-dried tomato pesto (definitely tasting first)
-chinois chopped chicken salad in wonton cup
-hot crabmeat fondue with pita chips and toasted french bread (probably tasting first)

Reception:

Plated salad: we hope to be able to give our guests a choice between the Romaine and Radicchio or the Caesar Salad.

Buffet :

Entrees
-We're hoping the chef can suggest some kind of a salmon dish (definitely tasting)
OR
-herb-crusted seasonal white fish with lemon butter sauce & capers relish
-parmesan crusted breast of chicken with mushroom cream and parsley (thanks to Beth!)
-3 peppercorn and whole grain mustard rubbed beef strip loin with caramelized red onion compote and gorgonzola cheese fondue (definitely tasting)
OR
-NY strip steak with merlot and black pepper reduction, balsamic cremini mushrooms and roasted shallots

Sides
-olive oil, herb, and sea salt tossed steamed vegetables
-Martini Action Station to include:
~Yukon Gold potatoes topped with cheddar, chive sour cream, and bacon crumbles
~creamy parmesan and champagne risotto topped with crab gremolata (definitely tasting)
~grown-up truffle macaroni and cheese with lobster meat salad (maybe tasting)

Pre-Dessert Party Appetizers:
I'm hoping they can offer soup. If so, we'd like to do a choice of Le Cellier's Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup or Minestrone

-grilled beef and creamy onion flatbread with gruyere cheese
-wild mushroom and shallot tart
-seared tuna with wakame, wasabi, and ginger
-tiered antipasto to include meat, cheese, seafood, and olives served with flatbread

Dessert Party Buffet:
(most likely to change, everything sounds so good!)
-tiramisu
-guava cheesecake pushup with mango gelee
-funnel cake bread pudding
-mini cheesecakes
-chocolate fondue station - for this we want to see if they can do milk, dark, and white chocolates. if they can't or if it's crazy expensive, we'll just do milk chocolate - with apples, strawberries, marshmallows, pretzels, bananas, and graham crackers
-peach cobbler if they can do it
OR
-warm berry crumble with agave and granola if they can't do the cobbler

I also want to see if we can offer hot chocolate in addition to the coffee and tea. If they can, I want to ask about getting peppermint schnapps and/or Kahlua for the hot chocolate.

Farewell Breakfast Buffet:
-The Wave's sweet potato pancakes with pecan honey butter
-grand marnier cream cheese crepes with vanilla bean sauce
-mickey waffle bar with seasonal berries, warm fruit compote, warm maple syrup and whipped cream
-egg cookery station with made-to-order omelets, with spinach, mushrooms, cheddar, ham, onion, peppers, feta, and egg substitute
-bacon
-maple glazed sausage
-shredded hash browns with cheddar cheese

The breakfast is the only one I might actually have to add on to, since The Attic has a $1000 minimum for breakfast and I'd say about a good 1/3 of our guests won't be there that morning. All the locals will most likely drive home after the DP. I love breakfast foods so I wouldn't have any problem coming up with more food to add onto this list!

The only thing we haven't looked at yet is cake. I already know we'll be serving our cake with ice cream, though! I'm also fairly certain one layer will be red velvet with cream cheese since it's Alec's favorite.

Phew, I think that's all for today. Time to get things sorted around the house for tomorrow. Animal Kingdom for the 4th of July! Sanaa for dinner, then off to Sea World for fireworks. Can't wait!

Last edited by DFTWbride2013; 07-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Just caught up your plans look amazing!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

Hey Stephanie,

Glad you are so happy with your changes! They all sound great!

Have you decided on DPS or outside photography yet? Now that you are not in a park, you have so many other options. We totally would have hired Regina for everything, if we were not in Epcot for both ceremony and reception.

Hope you like the parmesan crusted chicken. We loved it at our tasting so much that we are having it at 2 meals (welcome dinner and reception). We did change the sauce though, since Paul won't be in the same room as a mushroom. We had them create a creamy tomato sace for us and it was amazing!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
bjbosu
Earning My Ears

You plans look so good...and you are farther ahead of me and my date is before you (Feb. 10th). We are also doing the WP, we have the Whitehall/Patio for the cocktail hour and then St. Augustine ballroom for the reception. And we are also using Rev. Knox.

I need DF to figure when he can get off work so that we can ask about a couple of dates for a planning session, although we are targeting last couple of weeks of August or September.
bjbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
DFTWbride2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Just caught up your plans look amazing!
Thanks! Would I happen to know you from FB? I love being able to put faces with these names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
Hey Stephanie,

Glad you are so happy with your changes! They all sound great!

Have you decided on DPS or outside photography yet? Now that you are not in a park, you have so many other options. We totally would have hired Regina for everything, if we were not in Epcot for both ceremony and reception.

Hope you like the parmesan crusted chicken. We loved it at our tasting so much that we are having it at 2 meals (welcome dinner and reception). We did change the sauce though, since Paul won't be in the same room as a mushroom. We had them create a creamy tomato sauce for us and it was amazing!

Can't wait to read more!
Thank you! I'm still undecided on what to do about photography. One of the reasons we chose Disney (aside from that it's, well, Disney) is that we loved the idea of being able to use them for just about everything. I also really don't want to have separate photos for the DP than the rest of the day. The cost of Disney's photography and videography is just so outrageous, and especially to not be guaranteed quality service. It's something we're going to discuss more this weekend, I just hope we make the right choice for us. Hiring Regina is very tempting, or the Ardnts.

Oh, I know all about that parmesan chicken thanks to you! Your pictures made me drool. I actually really like the idea of the creamy tomato sauce, but we both love mushrooms so I was thinking of asking if it would be possible to offer both and let guests choose which they'd like. I, of course, will be eating a bit of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbosu View Post
You plans look so good...and you are farther ahead of me and my date is before you (Feb. 10th). We are also doing the WP, we have the Whitehall/Patio for the cocktail hour and then St. Augustine ballroom for the reception. And we are also using Rev. Knox.

I need DF to figure when he can get off work so that we can ask about a couple of dates for a planning session, although we are targeting last couple of weeks of August or September.
I'm not that ahead on anything, I'm just good at making it look that way. Oh wow, you're less than a month before us! Go 2013 brides! Haha. February will be great, the weather is so nice that time of year.

Ooh, I hope he figures that out soon! I feel so wonderful having the date now. It's really given me something wedding-related to look forward to before the wedding itself. Oh, and if you're going to do a tasting you'll really want to let them know soon-ish so they can get your date and time for you!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTWbride2013 View Post
Here's our menu lists! Please feel free to make any comments or criticism on any of the items on here, especially if you've found something to be particularly good or bad.

Pre-Reception:
-bacon-wrapped scallops with thai sugar glaze
-bacon crusted beef & blue cheese with balsamic sun-dried tomato pesto (definitely tasting first)
-chinois chopped chicken salad in wonton cup
-hot crabmeat fondue with pits chips and toasted french bread (probably tasting first)
Hello! Love your journal, can't wait to see how the Alice theme plays out -- it is one of my favorite stories too!

I was reading your menu choices, and of course everything sounds scrumptious -- there was one thing that made think though. These options for pre-reception sound like they might all be very *heavy* foods, especially right before the awesome dinner you plan to serve. Maybe replacing one or two items with something lighter, maybe fruit or veggie based? Just a thought Of course, if you are set on those, by all means! It is your wedding and you deserve to have everything how YOU like it

Subscribing and looking forward to more posts
Alifay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #28
RandiEliz2
Earning My Ears

following along...
I love your table name idea, super cute!

Randi Alfredo Darling Firstborn Son Darling Secondborn Son Darling Daughter Charlie Boy

My Wishes PJ

RandiEliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
fireofmarajade
8.29.12 MK

Finally subscribed and read aloud to DF so that he feels more acquainted! SOOOOOO excited more so now than ever! Lmk if u need aaaannnnhyyyyyy help!!!!! I'm looking into details for everything now that I can do!!! Talk to you soon. EVERYTHING including changes sound great! L o v e song choices!!!! Can't wait for more updates!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
fireofmarajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
DFTWbride2013

So I'm terrible, and I haven't updated in forever. I wanted to update again before our planning session, which is in 3 weeks! I have lots of pictures today- of food and dresses! The two best things.

Oh, but my biggest update is that I have a third bridesmaid now- One of the DisBrides! I'm super excited, she's crazy and funny and our personalities have just clicked. I actually get to see her twice next week, too, so I'm really excited about that as well.

Next update- We've been debating too much about rehearsal dinner locations. I love love love steak and I've heard such glowing reviews about Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club Resort, we decided to try it last week for Alec's birthday dinner and see if we would like it for a RD. Here's what we found.

They had birthday menus waiting for us that we got to keep. That was pretty exciting.

We both got Sangria. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. We both decided we've easily had much better.

The bread course. Both were delicious, but the roasted garlic just made it 100x better. We both love garlic, so guess what we're going to ask about serving at the wedding? One bread was a sourdough and I completely forgot what the other was.

Alec had the salmon. It was good but not amazing. The presentation was very pretty though.

I had the NY Strip Steak. It was pretty, and the sauce was very good, but it was very fatty and grisly. I've had better strip steak for less than $20 so I was disappointed that I payed $44 for something like this. Especially when it's a steakhouse. The potato gratin next to it wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing either. I can confidently say I would never order this again.

The truffle mac n cheese sounded too good to pass up, and I'm so glad we didn't! It was easily the best thing we'd had. I wish I could eat it every day, I really do, it was just that amazing. If we were to go back I would order two sides of this as my entree. Yum.

After we were done with all this, the waiter brought out a mini birthday cupcake with a candle for Alec. It was another really nice surprise.

We finished things off with the creme brulee. I always love creme brulee but this one was exceptionally good. It had this amazing vanilla flavor in it that made my mouth water. I'm a huge fan of vanilla. This was a great way to end an otherwise not-so-great meal.

I loved the atmosphere at Yachtsman and our waiter was great. I also felt they did a really good job making a big deal out of your special occasion and I'm sure a RD or honeymoon dinner would be no exception, but I wasn't impressed enough with our entrees at all. I think I'd go to Yachtsman again one day but I would skip getting an actual entree. It's not a part of Disney I care for sharing with my bridal party though. We're less than 2 weeks from our 180-day mark and still don't know where the RD is going to be.

So, we accidentally stuffed ourselves and still had a Tomorrowland Terrace DP to go to just two hours later, oops! We didn't get to try much there but we did try a few things. Nothing was labeled so I had to create my own names for the ones I didn't know. I didn't take individual pictures but I have pictures of my plates, sorry!

My first plate had creme brulee in a little mug, super cute and not bad at all. Fruit tart, not bad but not amazing. Banana square thing with chocolate stripes on it, yummy as usual but I'm partial to banana. Tiramisu cup, okay but nothing great. THe white cup with chocolate sticks sticking out of it? Yeah, I have no idea what that was. It tasted kind of like vanilla pudding but there were crust crumbs underneath so I'm not sure what they were going for. Either way, nothing special. The orange shooter topped with whipped cream was GROSS. I'm thinking I should have maybe mixed it together first but I didn't think about that until after we left. I don't think the whipped cream would have saved it much anyway, it was really sour.

My other plate had a chocolate peanut butter square thingy, it wasn't good at all to me. It just tasted like a spoon of peanut butter in a crust- not my thing. Mini cannoli was soggy from the humidity, otherwise I think it would have been good. I couldn't take more than one bite of it though. The chocolate covered strawberries were by FAR the best thing I had. I have to have some in the wedding somewhere now, they were just that good!

The fireworks DP was a nice experience and we had a great view of Wishes without being overcrowded. I'm just hoping the quality for private catered DPs is better, because these were okay but not exceptionally good. They had other things that I didn't get to taste- fruit, apple tarts, cookies, I think maybe even sundaes. I was just too full from dinner. At $25/person that wasn't bad at ALL though, especially when you factor the fireworks into it.

One more- Le Cellier for lunch the next day. I would consider this place for a rehearsal lunch the next day if everyone in our bridal party had park tickets. We did the $28.99 prix fixe lunch.

<Insert a picture of the cheddar bacon beer soup. It was so good!! We both forgot to take a picture.>

We both got the burger. Oh my GOSH that burger. It was huge but it was so amazing! All the flavors complimented each other really well and the meat itself was so flavorful that it didn't get lost under everything else. I will definitely be back for it again!

We had the maple creme brulee for dessert. It was good but almost too sweet for me. It also wasn't nearly as good as the one at Yachtsman, so that may have spoiled it for me a little.

Okay, that's it for food. I couldn't resist. Next post coming up- dresses!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: