Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

What a fun packed solo trip!! you are my idol! I can totally see myself doing a solo trip one day. Right now, just enjoying through you!! Have a fabulous relaxing day today and tomorrow with what ever floats your boat!

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #32
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Wow, both of those tours look wonderful. Thank you for taking so many pictures and sharing them with us. Now I really need to go on a Segway tour!

June 2013: OKW
December 2012: SSR June 2012: OKW
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
goofydad99
It's goofydad's wife

I am loving your trip report so far. I am currently on hold to see how much the Wild Trek tour will cost for our family. I imagine it's going to be a big ouch!

Am I to understand that you can only get internet through wifi now??
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofydad99 View Post
I am loving your trip report so far. I am currently on hold to see how much the Wild Trek tour will cost for our family. I imagine it's going to be a big ouch!

Am I to understand that you can only get internet through wifi now??
Correct. No Ethernet anymore. Today I seem to be able to connect okay but I just can't upload photos. Maybe if I lowered the resolution on my photos I would be okay but it was just easier to do the cell data for a month.
You will get sticker shock for the Trek tour. But if you can swing it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #35
goofydad99
It's goofydad's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
You will get sticker shock for the Trek tour. But if you can swing it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
You are correct about the shock! Goofydad won't go for that price but he did enjoy looking at your pictures.

I knew they were slowly implementing wifi everywhere but I was hoping we could use both. Oh well, time to get rid of the old router I planned to put into the OL.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #36
ccigliano
DVC Member WLV

Absolutley loving your TR. Have a wonderful time going solo and while I have done a day or two solo before or after a business trip, I have yet to do one of serious length. I think Disney is the one place where I would feel comfortable enough to do that though.
Off Site Dec 97 ~ CSR Dec 98 ~ OKW Dec 99 ~ OKW Dec 00 ~ WLV Dec 01 ~ WLV Mar 02 ~ WLV Dec 02 ~ WLV Dec 03 ~ WLV Nov 04 ~ WLV Feb 05 ~ SSR/WLV Dec 05 ~ WLV May 06 ~ WLV Nov 06 ~ WLV Dec07 ~ SSR Apr 08 ~ OKW Sep 08 ~ WLV Nov/Dec 08 ~ WLV Dec 09 ~ AKV KSV Feb 10 ~ BLT LV May 10 ~ SSR Sep 10 ~ WLV Nov 10 ~ SSR Jan11 ~ WLV/BCV Mar 11~Dream/WLV Dec 11~WLV Feb 12~Grand Floridian/WLV Dec12~WLV Jan13~WLV Mar 13~WLV Dec 13~GCV Jan 14~VBV/AKV Aug 14~WLV Dec14

ccigliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
So glad I found your trip report - your pics are amazing of Kidani - makes me even more excited to get there soon!!! And so jealous you are on a solo trip there - I have been on two, both at the Value resorts (DH wouldn't let me use points without him!), and I hope I can do one at DVC someday!
Enjoy the rest of your trip - make sure you find yourself a yummy cupcake on property to celebrate your birthday!! Looking forward to the remainder of your report!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

I had planned to spend Tuesday afternoon and evening at Epcot, hopefully including Illuminations. I also wanted to catch Off Kilter but they were not playing. I managed to enjoy some more of the Flower and Garden Festival (DH and I were here in March, so I saw lots then) and I also did Spaceship Earth and The Land ride.

This one is for bobbiwoz. I didn't make the tea this time but I hope to on a future trip:

At that point the skies were looking bad so I headed for the hacienda, stopping by The Mara to pick up a Mara Salad on the way. I no sooner got to underground parking than the skies opened up. Heavy rain and wind. Boy was I happy for the parking here at Kidani! *It continued to rain lightly on and off all night and I was grateful for my covered balcony so I could still enjoy the savanna.*

I had planned a leisurely start for my last full day but the weather was predicted to worsen as the day progressed so I headed to MK for rope drop. I always get choked up. I think it is because I imagine all the people seeing it for the first time and how they must be feeling.

I managed to do Buzz twice, Small World, Haunted, Pirates and Peter, after waiting to have my picture taken with Mickey and Minnie. All of this in about 2 hours-- one of the perks of solo traveling. *

I always stop here to pay my respects to Richyams. *I don't know if his ashes are really here, but if they are then he knows he is not forgotten on the DIS.

Since the showers were coming I decided to head to Kona Cafe for lunch, then to Epcot. Too bad, Kona's breakfast was over and lunch wouldn't start for a while so thought I would go to Big River Grill instead. Too bad for me again because there was a waiting list so headed for Chefs de France. *Got right in and it was meant to be. I have tried for years to meet Remy and he came right to my table!

I took more topiary photos, went to Germany to get treats for DH, stopped at Fort Wilderness for a gift for neighbors and back to Kidani.

Right now I hear lots of thunder. I am doing laundry (no one else using the machines!) and having a glass of wine on the balcony while the zebras entertain me. I suspect that there will be no Illuminations for me tonight either but I can walk over every night when I am at BWV in October. Maybe the hot tub? Maybe Sanaa? Maybe my really good book? Maybe the library for another cultural talk. Solo trips aren't perfect but there is a lot to be said for not having to worry about anyone else! *Thanks for joining me in cyberspace travel!

Sent from my iPad
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Here are photos of the pool area. Great place for young kids and good HA accommodations!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting the photo of Remy. I'm so glad you got to see him!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #41
crazybones27
DVC Member

I've really enjoyed you're trip report . It looks like you are having a wonderful time. Thanks so much for sharing .
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
a742246
older than dirt

Jean,
Thank you for sharing your vacation and birthday with us. Love your photos!
And a big Happy Birthday to you.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
tb1972
DIS Veteran

Happy b day, Jean!

Your pics are making me want a new AKL trip! I especially like the tortoise pic - I didn't see one in Sept at Jambo.

Tabatha

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #44
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
Happy b day, Jean!

Your pics are making me want a new AKL trip! I especially like the tortoise pic - I didn't see one in Sept at Jambo.

Tabatha
They are only at Kidani. They are outside the indoor walkway from the elevators to Sanaa. When we had lunch with the Animal expert, she explained that they had been rescued and placed at Kidani.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Your trip report is making me so "homesick". I love my AKV home, but I can take comfort in knowing that we will be at OKW in less than a month.

Thank you for the great information on the Wild Africa Trek. My daughter wanted to do this for her birthday present and since the trip is being paid for by the grandparents, we were able to use our regular vacation money to cover it. Unfortunately, she had to choose who would go with her...mom or dad...she chose me! I can't wait!!

I did the WL Segway tour back in 2010 on my birthday trip. I loved it! I was pretty clumsy on my Segway, and when we parked it at the horse barn, mine was "wobbling" up against the fence...just mine...everyone else's was completely still.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Kidani is so wonderful...I could easily spend a week there without visiting the parks. Alas, we won't be back to our AKV home until 2014 or 2015.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: