Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #406
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I had a chuckle over an encounter with a CM today that I wanted to share. I had called to put a room request on our reservation (thanks to the helpful suggestions of Sue M, pwdebbie and hill6). When I explained that I wanted the ground floor, near the main building for mobility issues she said very sweetly "Oh, you don't want to be walking too far, let me see if we can't find a preferred room for you". At this I replied that I was talking about POFQ, not POR, but she said "Oh no problem- every resort has preferred rooms". So know it all me says "um, I think POFQ is the only mod that doesn't". She's still being enthusiastically helpful and asks me to just hold for a sec while she checks. A minute later she's back. Just as enthusiastic and cheerful as ever: "Thank you so much for helping me learn something new today!!" I just laughed a bit and told her she was welcome Long story short, I have my room requests, the CM now knows that POFQ doesn't have preferred rooms and we're all still enthusiastically cheerful.
LOL when I called to switch from ASMovies to POFQ I played dumb for the CM and when she told me that POR had queen beds I said are you sure. She said she was. Then I made her pull up resort/bedding description and she said well what do you know it says double. Then she said that they are remodeling and I could hope to get queen beds. I said I am not going to hope to get them as I am switching resorts to guarantee getting them. I then had to play dumb and ask her to check POFQ where I knew they already were in place. Wonder how many folks got to POR and were surprised by double beds from her.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #407
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6 View Post
Then I made her pull up resort/bedding description and she said well what do you know it says double. Then she said that they are remodeling and I could hope to get queen beds.
It appears the room renos are completed at POR. No hoping for a queen needed.

http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #408
atksn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
LOL when I called to switch from ASMovies to POFQ I played dumb for the CM and when she told me that POR had queen beds I said are you sure. She said she was. Then I made her pull up resort/bedding description and she said well what do you know it says double. Then she said that they are remodeling and I could hope to get queen beds. I said I am not going to hope to get them as I am switching resorts to guarantee getting them. I then had to play dumb and ask her to check POFQ where I knew they already were in place. Wonder how many folks got to POR and were surprised by double beds from her.
I believe all MODs have queens, except CBR. I looked into this on the heels of FD speculation, to know where I wanted to switch to from the LM rooms at AoA (not included in FD).

2006- WDW
2007- DLR
2009- WDW
2011- WDW
2012- WDW
2014- WDW
Oct 2014- DLR
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #409
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atksn View Post
I believe all MODs have queens, except CBR.
You are correct.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #410
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
It appears the room renos are completed at POR. No hoping for a queen needed.

http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php
I see one section still being remodeled. My luck that is where we would have been. Plus the Disney website still says double beds unless you book one of the royal room.s

I like FQ better as it is smaller and we are first on the bus.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #411
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see one section still being remodeled. My luck that is where we would have been. Plus the Disney website still says double beds unless you book one of the royal room.s

The building that is still being rehabbed is not open to guests effectively making POR double bed free. There is no way you could get double beds now.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #412
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6

Not trying to sway you, just want to give accurate info. Funny that Disney's website is the last place to go for accurate, up to date info.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #413
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Well I've got bad, news, then good news #1, good news #2, and good news #3.

Bad news: Yesterday I canceled my solo trip to POFQ for Sept 1st-8th, that I had with a 30% off bounceback deal I booked way back last Dec when I was there.

Good news #1: I rebooked AKL pool view using the current AP discount for the exact same dates.

Good news #2: My mom, who turns 79 y/o Sept 9th, decided to go with me for a girls only trip for her birthday. I had purposely booked the original trip one day shorter than usual (Sept 1st-8th) so I'd be home for her birthday.

Good news #3: I'll still be back at POFQ Oct 27th-Nov 4th with my husband for both my birthday and our anniversary.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #414
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post

Bad news: Yesterday I canceled my solo trip to POFQ for Sept 1st-8th, that I had with a 30% off bounceback deal I booked way back last Dec when I was there.

Good news #1: I rebooked AKL pool view using the current AP discount for the exact same dates.

Good news #2: My mom, who turns 79 y/o Sept 9th, decided to go with me for a girls only trip for her birthday. I had purposely booked the original trip one day shorter than usual (Sept 1st-8th) so I'd be home for her birthday.

Good news #3: I'll still be back at POFQ Oct 27th-Nov 4th with my husband for both my birthday and our anniversary.

Have a great trip. Not meaning to sway you but the whole reason to stay at AKL are the animals. Consider changing to a Savannah view. The Arushkah one was loaded with animals the whole time we were there.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #415
hill6
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the info on the queen beds. I knew that two mods had them Coronado and POFQ. Coronado had no availability. This was a short planned trip (less than three weeks and my work has been very busy so no real time to research).

I can proudly say that I am 98% packed and this time tomorrow we will be at POFQ enjoying cooler weather than we have right now in Jersey.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #416
scotas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post

Also if you do go with a savana room, don't be afraid to request certain animals. It may sound silly, but twice my friend reqested to be near giraffes and both times she overlooked where they were fed.

1998 off site
2005 Pop Century 50's section
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort - Jamacia
2008 Pop Century - 50's section
2009 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2010 Coronado Springs - Casistas 3
2011 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Jan.) Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Sept) Contemporary Resort
2014 (Feb.) Caribbean Beach Resort
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #417
BlondeJungleBookFan
Looking for the Bare Necessities

Boat to DTD question

Where does the boat from POFQ drop you off & pick you up at DTD?
5th Cruise:
Gaither Gospel Cruise Westerdam Feb 2012
4th Cruise: May 5, 2011 Disney Dream Bahamas Trip Report ~ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2718995
3rd Cruise: Sept 9 2010 Disney Wonder Bahamas ** 2nd Cruise: Dec 6 2009 Golden Princess to Hawaii ** First Cruise: Sept 2007 Caribbean Princess
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #418
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeJungleBookFan View Post
Where does the boat from POFQ drop you off & pick you up at DTD?
The DTD dock is next to the Rainforest Cafe, at the Marketplace end. You can transfer to another boat at that dock to go to the other side of DTD if you want.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #419
karly05
DIS Veteran

Still trying to plan a Feb 2013 trip - I've been back and forth between the two sides of PO, but am starting to favor POFQ for the more compact layout. The FAQ and Photo threads here for both POR and POFQ and Andre's FANTASTIC portorleans.org site have been a big help!

My question is: This will most likely be a solo trip, and would be my first stay at a resort with "exterior corridors." I know from the maps which buildings are where at POFQ, but is there any particular building/area that you felt more or less comfortable "walking home" to in the evening after dark?
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #420
peeputt
Filled with Wanderlust...

Thumbs up

Karly, honestly it doesn't even matter if you're in the farthest buildings from the bus stop because even those will only take you maybe 3 minutes to get to.
We find the whole resort so safe feeling and wonderful, and the compactness of it is one of the many reasons we just love it so much!
It's so quaint, and beautiful, and ahhhhhhhhhh.........I just can't wait to be back "HOME"

Feb. 2011 - POFQ (Hubby and my 1st trip together)
Sept. 2012 - The Dolphin & POFQ
Sept. 2013 - Old Key West
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: