Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Yet another Ebay question

I ordered a tea set and received it 9/15 (poorly packed) with the creamer handle broke off. The seller sent the package via USPS/ with insurance. I emailed her immediately and sent a picture to her cell (her request) 3 times --she had initially had given me an incorrect phone number.

Finally today she texts me that she'll give me a $10 credit. Now the set was only $39 with a shipping charge of over $11. I want to do what's fair but since the item was broken en route and the value compromised by the loss of the creamer what do you think is the right thing to do? FWIW--I like the set well enough--it's just incomplete.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
DisneyShannon
Mouseketeer

contact e bay and send them the pic. they will re fund your money. I had to have a item re funded and they was quick to get it re funded.
DisneyShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
richmond282
Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better than you...

Open a case in the resolution center stating that item arrived broken. If it was shipping w/ insurance, I don't know why the seller would refund your entire amount since they will receive the entire amount back from insurance.
richmond282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond282 View Post
Open a case in the resolution center stating that item arrived broken. If it was shipping w/ insurance, I don't know why the seller would refund your entire amount since they will receive the entire amount back from insurance.
The seller won't get the money back from the insurance if the items were damaged because they were "poorly packed."
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
theotherlostprincess
Earning My Ears

Open a case against them and if they continue to no work with you I believe ebay will step in after a certain point and refund you [ I could be wrong but that was my understanding when i had an issue before but seller cooperated after I opened the case]
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #6
jls886
DIS Veteran

From a seller's perspective, try one more time to work it out directly with her. If you open a claim, they may end up requiring you to mail it all back to the seller if the two of you cannot come up with a solution. So, you might try working with her once more. First off, do NOT communicate with her in any way other than through eBay messages. Do not email her personal email, do not text her, use only eBay messages. You can send pictures through eBay messages, so personally I would send her another message (this time through eBay) with the picture attached, and then tell her what you want. Let her know what solution would make you happy, and see what she says. If she does not agree, then proceed further with eBay's resolution process. But, she may agree and both of you can move on. Communicating through eBay lets eBay see all of your message history in the event there is a dispute. They really stress to only communicate in that way, and I tend to agree with that completely.
jls886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #7
peel
DIS Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the recipient of the item had to deal with USPS to get an insurance refund since you are the holder of the item and the only one who can provide evidence of damage. Otherwise you'd have to mail the item back to the seller and the USPS could say the damage happened on the return trip. I think you need to get the insurance info from the seller and deal directly with the post office for a refund.

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #8
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peel View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the recipient of the item had to deal with USPS to get an insurance refund since you are the holder of the item and the only one who can provide evidence of damage. Otherwise you'd have to mail the item back to the seller and the USPS could say the damage happened on the return trip. I think you need to get the insurance info from the seller and deal directly with the post office for a refund.
Ditto.
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #9
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peel View Post
Insurance is purchased by the sender; they're the one who must file the claim and will receive payment for damage. The USPS will ask for photos. If those aren't available, they will pick up the damaged item from the receiver. But, as I previously stated, insurance does not cover items damaged because they weren't packaged properly.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #10
peel
DIS Veteran

Got it. So OP should heavily document both packaging and damaged item if requested by the seller. They may or may not get their money back but I'm certain they'll want to make an attempt since they took out insurance. But yes, the seller should refund the entire cost and then take on the USPS. If they don't do that after you've stated that's what you want then file a claim with Ebay.

FWIW, in the past I've dealt with my own local post office when I've received a damaged item.

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:52 PM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls886 View Post
From a seller's perspective, try one more time to work it out directly with her. If you open a claim, they may end up requiring you to mail it all back to the seller if the two of you cannot come up with a solution. So, you might try working with her once more. First off, do NOT communicate with her in any way other than through eBay messages. Do not email her personal email, do not text her, use only eBay messages. You can send pictures through eBay messages, so personally I would send her another message (this time through eBay) with the picture attached, and then tell her what you want. Let her know what solution would make you happy, and see what she says. If she does not agree, then proceed further with eBay's resolution process. But, she may agree and both of you can move on. Communicating through eBay lets eBay see all of your message history in the event there is a dispute. They really stress to only communicate in that way, and I tend to agree with that completely.
As a seller and a buyer, I agree. OP, you should communicate with the seller exactly what you want since you don't think a 25% discount is acceptable (and I would not either, BTW). Give her one more chance to make both of you happy. DO NOT discuss feedback in your message.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: