Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Empty-nester and grandmother to 2. Have diabetes, fibromyalgia, arthritis and hearing loss. It can be frustrating at times. For the times I need to use the wheelchair I have used a baby carrier or Baby K-tan while they are really small then when older the oldest sat on my chair arm or stood and the footrest, now he uses a harness and walks most of the time. He is 2 1/2 and hates the stroller except to nap in on occasion.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Glittercat
Mouseketeer

37, mom of 2, have had many ops. and bone problems since age 8. I've been to WDW 3 times, twice in wheelchair. 1st time was at 17 when I was a nanny and had to use the park chair. 2nd time on honeymoon and I got to walk. Bones are deteriorating in my legs now though, and I have several screws (one loose - not funny but i had to make the pun). The 3rd time to WDW was with my lovely family! I had my own wheelchair which I generally push myself along in, which made a huge difference, and the kids were perfect and very patient. Our trip was not seamless, but very worth it anyway. We're going back next year! Anyway, hello all! *waves* ~Rebecca

Glittercat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
jodeeee4
Earning My Ears

I have had 4 reconstructive surgeries on my ankle and have trouble walking or standing for long periods. I also have a lot of pain all the time. My kids are older (12 and 16) and are very understanding, but I worried they would miss out on things because of my disability. But I found Disney very accommodating, more so than many other places. Most importantly, I realized that we didn't have to see and do everything. Just being together in that magical place was enough!
jodeeee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Glittercat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeee4 View Post
I have had 4 reconstructive surgeries on my ankle and have trouble walking or standing for long periods. I also have a lot of pain all the time. My kids are older (12 and 16) and are very understanding, but I worried they would miss out on things because of my disability. But I found Disney very accommodating, more so than many other places. Most importantly, I realized that we didn't have to see and do everything. Just being together in that magical place was enough!
Great attitude!

Glittercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

DH has stage 4 lung/heart disease and has not been able to work for the last 6 years. His energy level waxes and wanes with his illness and he needs a lot of rest, 2-3 naps per day. I have type 2 diabetes and inflammatory arthritis which affects mainly my hands and feet, making it painful to walk and do things with my hands especially. We are only 55 but our disabilities have made it hard for us to adequately take care of our mentally handicapped son, Christian. He is 17 now, a big strapping 6'1" 140-lb teen with all the energy and strength of a normal 17yo. We had CNAs helping us daily for the past 3 years. Two years ago we made the decision to pursue finding another home for him. It was a long involved process, but we had him placed this summer with a lovely couple who is younger, stronger and have more family assistance that we do. It has been a big adjustment for us, but it was absolutely the right thing to do. Christian is thriving in his new home and we are once again thriving as a couple after 17 years of constant caregiving.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
M2B
Mouseketeer

I have cerebral palsy. It mainly affects my legs, but using a walker for the past ten years has taken it's toll on my shoulders as well. I wear leg braces. We're going to WDW over Easter. I'll rent a scooter for the time we're there. (not from Disney, I need to know I have it)
M2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
Mayashappyplace
Earning My Ears

I am not a mom, but I'm 32 and was born with and live with deadly peanut allergies and severe soy allergies as well as environmental allergies to pollens, dust mites, ragweed and mold. I am also very allergic to dimethicone, Vitamin E (since some comes from soy), most PEGs (also from soy) and lanolin. My allergies show up in the form of hives/urticaria and eczema/dermatitis and even worse reactions depending on the culprit. I have a website and YouTube page for those of you whom it may help, so yes, please know that you are not alone. Adults with disabilities do exist...there's just not much support out there for us, which is what I'm trying to change!

~Maya
Mayashappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #23
Redwolf8812
Running on Faith

Dealing with Stage 4 breast cancer here. My husband and I have 3 children, a 17-year-old son, a 15-year-old daughter, and an 8-year-old daughter. Family vacations have always been our favorite things to do together. Depending upon where I am in treatment and what the side effects are usually dictates how I feel when we're in Disney. It can be tiring, but doable and enjoyable.

The last time we were there (Easter) we rented a wheelchair at each park we went to. This time I'm getting one delivered to our room upon arrival and picked up from our room when we leave. Cheaper and easier.

We're planning on arriving Sunday the 4th of November (we drive) after a short visit with family in Maryland and departing Thursday the 8th. Yes, we're the crazy Jersey visitors for "Jersey Week", plus we enjoy Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. LOL.

From there, we're taking an autotrain up to Virginia for a wedding, before going home.

Prayers & blessings, all

"The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ [Jesus] will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little." (1 Peter 5:10)
Penny
1972 - 1984 many visits
1993 - Yacht Club, honeymoon, October
2001 - offsite, first visit with 2 kids, May
2002 - Fort Wilderness, October
2004 - Fort Wilderness, first visit with 3 kids, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, trick-or-treating in the campground
2006 - Fort Wilderness, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, trick-or-treating in the campground
2008 - Fort Wilderness, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, trick-or-treating in the campground
2011 - June - Old Key West & Bay Lake Tower, first visit as DVC owners after selling camper & truck, first visit post-cancer diagnosis (stage 3)
Easter 2012 - Animal Kingdom Kidani, first visit post-stage 4 cancer diagnosis
November 2012 - Boardwalk Villas
May 2013 - Treehouse Villas
December 2013 - Saratoga Springs
Reservation for 6/26-6/30/14 Saratoga Springs
next - it's all in God's Hands
Redwolf8812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: