Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
ajstaud
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies. I will make sure I have my own bottle of water, I've been running while it's in the upper 80's to help me with what it will be like in Castaway Cay, but I'm from Colorado so it's a dry heat. Hoping that I will have a little more inderance coming from high altitude. Either way I'm looking forward to doing this!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #17
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleProfHP View Post
Hmmm...got me thinking...have any of you used an iPhone GPS tracking app (I use RunKeeper, but there are others) to track your run *on board* around Deck 4? Wondering what that GPS run would look like...
That's what I use also. Would be interested to find out!

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

I'll be running (well run/walk intervals) the CC 5k on the 17th. Can't wait. I feel so terrible for my 13 yro DS. He "trained" with me since the spring getting up at 5:00 a.m. several days a week throughout the summer because he wanted to run the CC 5k, too. A few weeks ago his knees were giving him so much trouble, he wasn't sleeping at night because of the aching. He's had to stop running for a bit. He hopes to be easing back into the run/walk intervals with me soon. Those first few days of rest he was totally heartbroken. Poor fella. I guess we'll need to book another cruise so he gets his big shot.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #19
MissFitt
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is somewhere my kids can go when I run? Are the kids club either on the ship or on the island open?
MissFitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Bursley2010
Mouseketeer

So glad to hear they are still doing this-- my SiL and I are doing the WDW Half Marathon to be preceded by the Christmas cruise this year, and we have been looking forward to doing this to help keep our legs moving other than by utilizing deck 4. Too bad they don't make some kind of shirt or water bottle to commemorate it- there a missed merchandising opportunity!
DLP 1999 WDW Jan 2000, Feb 2006, Aug 2006, June 2007, July 2008, May 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2010, May 2011, Dec 2011-Jan 2012, June 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2013 DL June 2008, Aug 2012 DCL March 2006, Dec 2011 Races: E:EC5K May 2011, WDW Half Jan 2012, DL Half 2012, WDW Half 2013, Princess Half 2013

Next Up: Tinkerbell Half Marathon for my 30th!
Bursley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
schmass
DIS Veteran

I plan on running this in just a few weeks - so excited!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
jhk1206
Earning My Ears

We were planning to do it on our last cruise (8/28 Dream sailing) but it specifically said 'just for adults' so we passed on it because my 14 year old is a runner as well (actually, he's much faster than I) and would have run with us.

I had heard you didn't get anything from the race (no race swag) but was very bummed because they did give out bib numbers - I collect my bib numbers from all of my races.

So if you're a bib collector, it seems they're giving those out, and they say 'Castaway Cay 5K' on them. Very cool!

Happy running everyone!

Disney Fairy Tale Wedding - 12/06/2006 - WP/Napa

Next Trip?
October 2011 - Wine and Dine Half Marathon and Food and Wine Fest!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK 'HOME'!!!
jhk1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
mrebuck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk1206 View Post
We were planning to do it on our last cruise (8/28 Dream sailing) but it specifically said 'just for adults' so we passed on it because my 14 year old is a runner as well (actually, he's much faster than I) and would have run with us.

I had heard you didn't get anything from the race (no race swag) but was very bummed because they did give out bib numbers - I collect my bib numbers from all of my races.

So if you're a bib collector, it seems they're giving those out, and they say 'Castaway Cay 5K' on them. Very cool!

Happy running everyone!
Sorry you missed the opportunity to run this with your son. For those hoping to run with their kids in the future - I ran the CC5K on 8/17 and there were several teenagers running it with us. No one said a word about it. Maybe it depends on the age of the kids? Or maybe it simply depends on who is running the event that day? If it were me, I'd give it a try.

And yes, the bibs are cool (I collect them too). They say "runDisney Castaway Cay 5K" on them in tropical colors.
mrebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
melissa99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk1206 View Post

Happy running everyone!
Hmmmm - adults only... I hope not. My DD, who is 5 would love to run and walk/be carried for this. Its a pretty good workout to run with a 5 year old on your back

But, glad to hear about the bibs - I keep all of mine!
melissa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #25
tefrench
DIS Addict

I'm going to try this for our trip in October. My son (12) and I did one a few weeks ago, he did great, under 30 minutes. I walked/jogged,was the last one done, but I finished!

06/1996 - Disneys Wilderness Lodge
06/2009 - Disneys Caribbean Beach
02/2010 - First Disney Cruise!
12/2010 - 1/2011 - Christmas at Disney
10/2011 - Halloween Dream Cruise + Disney World
11/2012 - First Trip to DisneyLand
11/2013 - Coronado Springs & Eastern Caribbean on Fantasy
12/2014 - Christmas and New Years at Disney World
tefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
ajstaud
Mouseketeer

I did it!!! I have never done a 5k before and have never been much of a jogger until a couple of months ago. It was so extremely hot and made if difficult to jog the entire route. So I did jog/speed walk/jog and so forth. I did bring my own bottle of water and drank all of it by the time I was done. I don't have an official time but I was pleased that I wasn't the last one. My brother ran the 5k with me, however he runs more then me, his time was 35min, based off of his time and how long he thinks he waited for me to cross the finish line I think I am somewhere between 45-50min. I'm proud of myself!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #27
firstcruise
Mouseketeer

I ran it for the first time too! Last Tuesday to be exact and wanted to do it Saturday again, but we didn't make it to CC due to weather. Didn't even bother with the time, I just had a goal to run it the entire way without stopping, but the heat was just a bit much and I had to stop a couple times for about 20 seconds each. There is water along the path that you can stop and get too.

Man, running on that tarmac can get darn right hot! I wasn't prepared for that at all and it really threw me for a loop. I didn't know where the bike rentals were located, so I walked from the ship to the start and it was way to far. So, I finally started around 9:10am or so and caught up to several people along the way. I was really happy with myself that I had this goal in mind to run the 5K and even hurting my knee a month out and trying to stay fit. The eliptical machine helps with the fitness, but doesn't replicate running. For me it worked since the knees felt fine before and after the run. Now I'm preparing to do another 5K someone around my home.
firstcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
MaryPoppins983
Practically perfect in every way!

Castaway Cay 5K

I am going on a cruise in May and I have a few questions about the Castaway Cay 5K. Are there lockers available near the starting line? My mom and I both want to run it, but we don't want to go all the way back to the ship to change into our swimsuits after the run.

Also, any personal experiences and/or pics from the run? Do they give out bibs, medals? Is there water along the route? How long do they give everyone to finish? Thanks for any info!

Sailing away in 34 days!!!
MaryPoppins983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

My friends did it on the Fantasy MV. They got medals which I saw photos of. I have the same medal (red white and blue ribbon with a plastic Mickey head) for winning a trivia contest on the Dream. Their pictures weren't close up enough to see if anything was written on the Mickey heads.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
princessCKL
Mouseketeer

I did the CC 5k in March. The medal says winner on the ribbon and disney cruise line on the plastic mickey head. I enjoyed the 5k. However pay close attention when the cast member explains the route. It is not clearly marked and I had to ask for directions from Castmember on bike a couple of times. There are no lockers.
princessCKL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: