Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Shell4624
Mouseketeer

Port Transfer Options, pros/cons

I've spent a bit of time looking into port transfer options for my family of 4. First time sailing out of PC, first time sailing for our DDs (8&13).

We are flying in 2 days early and spending that time at US onsite Cabana Bay Resort. We fly back home the same day the ship returns to port from our Cruise.

We are sailing 4 night Dream 10/27

Does anyone see a disadvantage to getting a 2 day rental for the first nights, MCO > return to Avis PC. Which gives us the most flexibility (pick up supplies, Port Arrival time within our own control, etc, etc)

And after disembarkation, get a 1 day rental car (late flight 530pm) Avis PC > MCO, to have the flexibility to do whatever we want.

This option prices out to be ~$200 including the both rentals, parking at Cabana Bay and estimated gas top off.

The other options I've priced out

RT DCL Transfer = $280, No car, no stops for "supplies", on foot or cab if we need to go somewhere.

Get Rental Car (Avis) for entire duration, park at the PC Garage = ~420 Most flexibility in that we'll always have our own personal Transportation and wont have to shuttle back and forth to Avis but $$.

Do you see any big red flags with what I'm thinking should be our transportation plan?
Shell4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Some people complain about the line to catch the shuttle from the ship to the car rental, but it's definitely cheaper, and since you have a late return flight, it will be convenient to have your own transportation.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
kevkrug
Earning My Ears

We're in the same position and will likely do the same thing. I like having the flexibility of the rental on the front end sine were arriving two days early and are planning a trip to Kennedy Space Center. We just haven't figured out whether I should drop off the family at the port early (DW, DS7, DD5) and return by myself from the rental location by shuttle or taxi, if we should all go or if maybe we should return it the night before and then take the hotel shuttle.

As far as the return, we have a later flight so we thought having a car would free us up to eat somewhere other than the airport, maybe even shop. But again, should the family wait at the port while I get the car or should we all drag our stuff in to the shuttle. (We're seasoned car renters, so we're used to the process... But I anticipate more luggage than our typical trip to see grandparents outside Vegas).
kevkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
geekboy
Platinum Castaway Member

We kept the rental car the last time we did this (probably because it was a 15 PAX van for the 8 of us, and those are hard to get). The shuttle to/from the Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral area car rental companies can be slow, and the line at the rental company counter can be long, but it is certainly very economical.

My question is when are you going because about $300 for a weekly rental seems high to me. Okay, okay. I looked at the prices and they are TERRIBLE for that time of year. What's going on? MNSSHP or something? You should see if there are any discounts because, while that may be normal, I've never paid that for a rental unless it's an SUV or a 15-PAX Van (the van was $$$$).

I know, I know. Captain Complexity here. Sometimes, saving the money is the better option if you are not pressed for time.
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/2013
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/2013
Disney Magic (3-Night Repositioning San Juan to Canaveral) 10/18/2014 COMING SOON!
geekboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
kevkrug
Earning My Ears

I keep checking for the week were going in January using various coupon codes. Right now we're looking at about $120 (with taxes and fees) for the first two days and about $60 for the return (although I haven't booked that one yet). Disney transfers would cost our fam of four about $280 round trip. I keep hoping to find a cheap deal so we can keep the car for the week (even if I have to pay for parking) without spending a fortune.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkrug View Post
I keep checking for the week were going in January using various coupon codes. Right now we're looking at about $120 (with taxes and fees) for the first two days and about $60 for the return (although I haven't booked that one yet). Disney transfers would cost our fam of four about $280 round trip. I keep hoping to find a cheap deal so we can keep the car for the week (even if I have to pay for parking) without spending a fortune.
$120 seems pretty good to me. Are you using Avis directly? Do you have a special rate?
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
kevkrug
Earning My Ears

Don't have access to my confirmation email right now, but I think I booked it through a special with Alamo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: