Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
disneymom2lucas
Earning My Ears

Bring Alcohol on Ship - Rules???

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching this...but I am still confused...Do you just carry your beer with you past security??? and somewhere I read you are not allowed rolling coolers.??? Can some one clarify the process for me...

thanks a bunch...Hubby really wants to bring beer
disneymom2lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

No rolling coolers. The only allowed coolers are small ones for medical or dietary necessities.

Alcohol and other beverages should be brought on board in a carry on that will fit through the scanner.

For Port Canaveral: Yes, you can just bring a case of beer with you into the terminal. There have been reports that folks doing that are asked to place it in a trash bag but this appears to be hit or miss, maybe depending on which security person is there.

Not sure about the process at other ports.
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2lucas View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching this...but I am still confused...Do you just carry your beer with you past security??? and somewhere I read you are not allowed rolling coolers.??? Can some one clarify the process for me...

thanks a bunch...Hubby really wants to bring beer
You can bring onboard whatever beverages you wish. As much as you wish. DCL asks that it be in your carry on bags, not checked. Remember you'll have to wrangle whatever you bring onboard until your room is ready (generally around 1:30).

The concept of "in your carry on bags" is variable. Typically DCL doesn't want any alcoholic beverages you bring onboard to be visible. I've seen black plastic bags given to people to encase their cases of beer. I've also seen people just carry in plain view what they're bringing onboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
CEGrant
Mouseketeer

I have used a soft sided cooler with handles without issue. It looks rather like an insulated beach bag with a zippered top. It's large enough to fit 12 cans of beer, a couple fifths and a bottle of wine. As long as it fits through the security scanner (pretty much like the ones at the airport), and isn't hard sided, you should be good.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

i think the general rule is if you can carry it, you can bring it. We had a couple boxes of wine in a backpack and some beers in a reusable shopping bag.
KBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Deck6crew
Earning My Ears

So many conflicting answers... I don't know what to believe. Best to call Disney directly.

I couldn't post the actual link b/c I'm a newbie here but here's the text from cruise critic website:

Disney Cruise Line Alcohol Policy
Home > Disney Cruise Line Alcohol Policy

Cruise Line Alcohol Policies

A Wine Tasting on a Disney Cruise Line Cruise Ship
Are You Legal?
The drinking age on all of Disney Cruise Line's ships is 21 for all itineraries.

Bringing Booze Onboard
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's allowed for consumption in cabins. Passengers (21 years of age and older) may bring onboard one unopened bottle of wine or Champagne or six bottles or cans of beer per person. The alcohol must be hand-carried in a day bag and/or carry-on luggage. Carry-on luggage dimensions cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage, and the items will be stored to return to the passenger at the end of the voyage.
Deck6crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

The Cruise Critic quote is not correct for DCL (as far as the limits on what type you can bring and how much). It's been there a very long time and it is still not correct.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
The Cruise Critic quote is not correct for DCL (as far as the limits on what type you can bring and how much). It's been there a very long time and it is still not correct.
You'd think they would have taken it down but I guess not.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So many conflicting answers... I don't know what to believe. Best to call Disney directly.
Or just search "alcohol" on the disneycruise website. Gets you to the alcohol policy FAQs.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...cohol-onboard/

Quote:
While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.
Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension
Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
geekboy
Platinum Castaway Member

I can personally say that Disney is very liberal in what you can bring. On our January 2013 7-night cruise, my friends brought so much alcohol, the security screener did a double take as it went through the scanner. I don't drink, so I thought it was hilarious. Two soft-sided carryons of alcohol. I think it was 8 bottles of liquor and I think 24 bottles of beer. I went to the opposite security screening station to not be associated with them. No issues. (That was for 3 people by the way.)

By the way, they barely used a single bottle. LOL They packed as though it was prohibition. I wouldn't recommend taking more than what appears to be for personal consumption. It's not the end of the world.
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/2013
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/2013
Disney Magic (3-Night Repositioning San Juan to Canaveral) 10/18/2014 COMING SOON!

Last edited by geekboy; 09-12-2014 at 02:33 PM.
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
CEGrant
Mouseketeer

Last year when my parents went with us, we made a stop at the liquor store. Our car service driver (Happy Limo), very courteously helped us load the bags into the trunk, then politely asked us if we had left any booze in the store for anyone else...

Do NOT believe the one bottle limit. That's just plain wrong. Disney says it's whatever you can carry, a "reasonable" amount. I've heard of Disney objecting to the container the booze is in (coolers), but never the amount.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

how much alcohol is just not something they're paying a whole lot of attention to when going through the port. The only person I saw questioned had a wet suitcase that security thought was leaking, but it was full of ice packs. They got a side eye but that was really it.
KBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
elcasar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
No rolling coolers. The only allowed coolers are small ones for medical or dietary necessities.

Alcohol and other beverages should be brought on board in a carry on that will fit through the scanner.

For Port Canaveral: Yes, you can just bring a case of beer with you into the terminal. There have been reports that folks doing that are asked to place it in a trash bag but this appears to be hit or miss, maybe depending on which security person is there.

Not sure about the process at other ports.
Is the rule about no rolling coolers new? I cruised on the Fantasy two years ago and I had a rolling cooler, although it wasn't that big, it was like a fairly small carry-on bag size, and I suppose it might have passed for one.
elcasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasar View Post
Is the rule about no rolling coolers new? I cruised on the Fantasy two years ago and I had a rolling cooler, although it wasn't that big, it was like a fairly small carry-on bag size, and I suppose it might have passed for one.
That has always been the rule, they just never enforced it. I believe it was last year when they finally began strict enforcement on it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
RebelHawk
Mouseketeer

The first week of Sept on the Alaskan cruise my wife and I brought in two soft side 8 pack wine totes with shoulder slings. We had 6 bottles of wine and one 750ml of bourbon. We walked through security and had our bags scanned. In Canada Disney shares a generic terminal with other lines and we were asked which ship we were boarding. When we told them Disney they waved us through. When we got onto the boat we found a quite corner mid ship and people watched until our room was ready. We then brought everything into the room and for the rest of the week when our room stewart cleaned our rooms he always left two red wine glasses for us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: