Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #1426
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Ok, I realize that this post/question may seem almost blasphemy, but is there somewhere OFF site that makes really, really, really good cakes/cupcakes?

We're staying off site....but two years ago I ordered one of these cakes and well, it was ok....but nothing spectacular. Last year I ordered the mousse slipper and it was absolutely gorgeous to look at but soooooo overly sweet we didn't even finish it.

I was thinking if there was a 5 star bakery somewhere within a 30-60 minute drive I could bring something wonderful to our vacation home as a surprise for them.

Ok....please don't flame me, I'm not saying folks shouldn't get cakes at Disney or that they're not good....just our experience hasn't been spectacular and with teens I need more than just sweet and cute. They've become foodies beyond belief in the last couple years so quality matters to them....and sadly Disney food is going backwards for us.

Since this probably isn't of much interest to others, if you know of a really great bakery, maybe PM it to me so we don't mess with this thread any more than I already have!

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #1427
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB
Ok, I realize that this post/question may seem almost blasphemy, but is there somewhere OFF site that makes really, really, really good cakes/cupcakes?

We're staying off site....but two years ago I ordered one of these cakes and well, it was ok....but nothing spectacular. Last year I ordered the mousse slipper and it was absolutely gorgeous to look at but soooooo overly sweet we didn't even finish it.

I was thinking if there was a 5 star bakery somewhere within a 30-60 minute drive I could bring something wonderful to our vacation home as a surprise for them.

Ok....please don't flame me, I'm not saying folks shouldn't get cakes at Disney or that they're not good....just our experience hasn't been spectacular and with teens I need more than just sweet and cute. They've become foodies beyond belief in the last couple years so quality matters to them....and sadly Disney food is going backwards for us.

Since this probably isn't of much interest to others, if you know of a really great bakery, maybe PM it to me so we don't mess with this thread any more than I already have!

Thanks!
I don't know of a private place that would deliver but there are a few publixs in the area and we love their cakes.
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #1428
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
I don't know of a private place that would deliver but there are a few publixs in the area and we love their cakes.
Thanks...I'm not looking for delivery. We will have a vacation rental home, and a car so I can go pick up a great cake.

Isn't Publix a grocery store? Around here grocery store cakes are all made from a mix and have that odd flavor....was hoping for a great bakery in the area. We only have a few around here, and they're expensive, but the quality is top notch so it's worth it for special occasions. Normally at home I'd make their birthday cakes, but in a rental home that might be a little more complicated than I'm ready for, lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1429
nannye
DIS Veteran

I wanted to order a slipper for my friends CRT dinner and there is no way for me to pre-pay to do it without it showing up on their bill. According to the CRTSpecial Events email. has anyone else had any luck?

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #1430
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB

Thanks...I'm not looking for delivery. We will have a vacation rental home, and a car so I can go pick up a great cake.

Isn't Publix a grocery store? Around here grocery store cakes are all made from a mix and have that odd flavor....was hoping for a great bakery in the area. We only have a few around here, and they're expensive, but the quality is top notch so it's worth it for special occasions. Normally at home I'd make their birthday cakes, but in a rental home that might be a little more complicated than I'm ready for, lol.
Yes they are a grocery store not sure what they use but its definitely really good. Maybe do a google search and see if there are any private bakerys in the area.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #1431
cmash95
a princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
Yes they are a grocery store not sure what they use but its definitely really good. Maybe do a google search and see if there are any private bakerys in the area.
we have ordered cakes from publix for years. They are made the day of the order and won't be ready until the exact time you order them. They also have several cakes that you can buy on the day of as well. they have a website with pictures of cakes they make.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #1432
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB View Post

They are a grocery store but their cakes are really good. You can go to www.Publix.com and under the "Food & Entertaining" tab and look at some of the decorated cakes available. You can call a couple of weeks prior, order and they'll have it ready for at the date/time that you want. Their cakes really are tasty, moist and fresh tasting.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #1433
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I wanted to order a slipper for my friends CRT dinner and there is no way for me to pre-pay to do it without it showing up on their bill. According to the CRTSpecial Events email. has anyone else had any luck?

you take a chance if it not being delivered and if it was a surprise they wouldnt know to ask about it

I ordered a cake for son and DIL and they never delivered it- asked the waiter about it and it took almost 40 minutes for them to find my order.

our surprise day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cIzwp4XWk&feature=plcp

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1434
nannye
DIS Veteran

Well I would tell them to expect something and ask about it but it makes no diff as the won't charge my cc for it.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #1435
goofyshell
DIS Veteran

Also wondering if you can order custom cupcakes. Anyone know?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1436
aoffhaus
Mouseketeer

Cake delivered to Tusker House?

Is it possible to have a custom cake delivered to Tusker House in Animal Kingdom? Also a couple of months ago there was someone that ordered a Jake and The Neverland Pirates cake I believe. Can that person contact me and send me pictures of the one they ordered? My son will be turning 4 on our trip and I would love to get him a custom cake.
4th Trip - Son's 4th Birthday Feb 2013 - Bonnett Creek
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1437
#1eeyoregirl
Loving Life, Family and everything Disney

ok, so am I correct that I need to call BWI to order a specialty cake for Flying Fish?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1438
jad215
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about ordering a cake for our April trip when it gets closer and considering requesting the Bailey's mousse. I haven't seen too many cakes with that flavor...has anyone had it and would you recommend it? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #1439
CyndiLouWho
Earning My Ears

First post ever! Will be at WDW in June with family for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I booked ADR at Aloha Luau as a surprise for them. I want to order a cake, see I will be ordering from GF. We have 10 in our party so I'm thinking the 10 inch cake, right? I need ideas for design, am not creative. No fondant, probably yellow cake with choc buttercream filling. Suggestions for decor welcome.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #1440
amw
need a new tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiLouWho View Post
First post ever! Will be at WDW in June with family for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I booked ADR at Aloha Luau as a surprise for them. I want to order a cake, see I will be ordering from GF. We have 10 in our party so I'm thinking the 10 inch cake, right? I need ideas for design, am not creative. No fondant, probably yellow cake with choc buttercream filling. Suggestions for decor welcome.
Welcome! I know you didn't want fondant, but this is my parents' 50th cake. The stamped pattern is "Mickey's Delight" I think, and I asked for it in gold. You could get the Mickey/Minnie cake topper on a non-fondant cake. This was a 6" and was plenty big, but we were at a buffet with other desserts.

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: