Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #1036
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

We have quote from Boardwalk Bakery for 125 for a 10 inch Mad hatter cake which will taper down to 7 inches! I am happy! DD's going to love it!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1037
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Now I have another question, I have email from the bakery with a price and it states to call back to private dining to order??? is that the next step, do I tell them what I told the bakery?? Did the bakery keep the picture and our name etc. I am not following the process thanks for your input!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #1038
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Yes, this is the correct method. They will use your name to match your Private Dining phone order with your email to the bakery.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #1039
dillydilly
Mouseketeer

I have just ordered a Cinderella cake for our dd's birthday ADR at CA Grill in 3 weeks. It has been a smooth process so far and I have had excellent communication with Chef Brian. I left the cake design up to him and am looking forward to seeing what he has in store for us (I did send him some examples of things that I like though). I'll post a picture of the cake when I return home.

I also just wanted to say a big 'Thank You' to lurkyloo and all the other disers that have shared information on the cake threads! I am not sure that I could've done this whole cake thing without your help!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #1040
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran

Hi all can I check a couple of things please!

We have an ADR at CRT for DD's 4th birthday on Christmas eve at 2.05. I would love to order her a Cinderella themed cake, not too big and not too pricey (if thats possible at Disney!)

Who is it best for me to contact, and how far in advance? I would want a vanilla sponge with fondant icing, so should I ask what price they start at or would who ever I speak to be able to tell me?
Also do I give the chef a free reign or is it best to be quite specific?

Sorry, couple more! Would the cake be brought out after main meal i.e before dessert?, and would CRT hold if for me after or will I have to take it around with me if we want to go on any more rides!

Thanks for any help

Claire

Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #1041
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
No, none of the cakes are ever frozen (supposedly even the cakes you can get at the restaurant podiums aren't ever frozen, but I once had a server say he had to thaw one out, so...). I think it's luck of the draw on freshness. Sometimes, especially with fancy cakes, they have to start the process several days ahead, which might result in a stale taste. In fact, I'd wager that you have a better chance of getting a fresh cake if you don't order an elaborate fondant-covered creation because they don't have to make it so far ahead.
I went ahead & ordered a 10", it was only $12 more. It's not a fancy, fondant-covered one, so we should be pretty good then. I did normal vanilla buttercream, vanilla cake & white chocolate mousse filling, with a Jake & the Neverland Pirates theme. Loved the picture of a 6" she's done, so I'm looking forward to what she does with a 10" in that theme. Price was quoted at $75.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #1042
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

placed my order with Chef Brian for my dd Sweet 16 cake at Chef Mickey's. He told us that in order to do a Mad Hatter style cake it has to be an 8" so that is what we are going with. There will be 7 of us total so I think we will be okay.

We requested the cake to be a chocolate cake with dark chocolate mouse and fresh raspberry filling. My daughter also loves Lilo and Stitch so we asked for a Lilo and Stitch / Tropical theme.

We were quoted $165 for the cake.

I can't wait to see it. Just 10 more days!!!!!

POR Nov 15th-23rd 2012 for DD 16th Bday Celebration
CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #1043
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillydilly View Post
I also just wanted to say a big 'Thank You' to lurkyloo and all the other disers that have shared information on the cake threads! I am not sure that I could've done this whole cake thing without your help!
Sounds like it's going to be great—can't wait to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymadhouse View Post
Who is it best for me to contact, and how far in advance? I would want a vanilla sponge with fondant icing, so should I ask what price they start at or would who ever I speak to be able to tell me?
See post #2 of this thread for contact info. You're looking at $60 and up for a fondant-covered cake. Check out this post for the package they will probably try to sell you: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2912870&page=2

Quote:
Also do I give the chef a free reign or is it best to be quite specific?
It depends on what you want. If you don't care, you don't have to give direction other than that you want fondant and maybe an idea of a theme. If you really care, you need to be specific as possible; sending in pictures helps.

Quote:
Would the cake be brought out after main meal i.e before dessert?, and would CRT hold if for me after or will I have to take it around with me if we want to go on any more rides!
They're supposed to bring the cake out when you're ready for dessert, but often they forget and you have to remind the server. They are not supposed to keep leftovers for you due to health codes, but people have had mixed results at the various Disney restaurants. Sometimes they'll do it for you anyway. I just wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuess View Post
I went ahead & ordered a 10", it was only $12 more. It's not a fancy, fondant-covered one, so we should be pretty good then. I did normal vanilla buttercream, vanilla cake & white chocolate mousse filling, with a Jake & the Neverland Pirates theme. Loved the picture of a 6" she's done, so I'm looking forward to what she does with a 10" in that theme. Price was quoted at $75.
Oooh! I'm looking forward to seeing it too!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #1044
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran

Hi lurkyloo, thanks for the info

I had previously considered the her royal highness package, but it seems a lot of money for what you get! (and I'm sure you can buy the balloon from seller in main street, so not really that special!)

I'll be sure to reming our server about the cake!

Thanks again

Claire

Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #1045
madaboutMickey
DIS Veteran

Buttercream icing for Mickey Mouse cake?

Hi everyone! I think I've seen pictures of the cake done with piped buttercream icing? Is this corrct or is there buttercream under the ganache? Which would work. I need to order this for a birthday dinner at 1900 Park Fare. Haven't been able to connect with Pat yet.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #1046
Donald & Daisy Duck
I even put ketchup on my tag!

Has anyone ever seen or had a Pluto themed cake??

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #1047
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutMickey View Post
Hi everyone! I think I've seen pictures of the cake done with piped buttercream icing? Is this corrct or is there buttercream under the ganache? Which would work. I need to order this for a birthday dinner at 1900 Park Fare. Haven't been able to connect with Pat yet.
The only place I've ever seen people get a Mickey head cake with piped frosting is at the Contemporary. Everywhere else they cover it with ganache. I believe there's buttercream underneath it, but it's hard to tell from pix, so definitely ask. They refer to the filling as "filling" rather than frosting, so I think it's one of their mousses.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #1048
madaboutMickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
The only place I've ever seen people get a Mickey head cake with piped frosting is at the Contemporary. Everywhere else they cover it with ganache. I believe there's buttercream underneath it, but it's hard to tell from pix, so definitely ask. They refer to the filling as "filling" rather than frosting, so I think it's one of their mousses.
That's the photo I think I saw. lurkyloo. My DGD and I share he smae birthday along with Mckey so this cake is perfect. She's never had ganache before but asked me if if would have that yucky icing(?). She was actulally referring to the whipped frosting. LOL Thanks for your help!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1049
lurkyloo

I'm with her! I can't stand whipped cream frosting. But the ganache is just that glossy glaze like you see on fancy "death by chocolate"-type cakes. Pretty good!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #1050
syntigger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper

Awesome cake and price! How sweet and thoughtful of you! Who did you contact to order the cake?
I called yvette (I'm pretty sure that was her name at the number posted in post 1. She was super nice. Took her a full day to call me back but well worth it!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: