Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #1021
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

WooHoo!!! Got my quote today and thankful to say I won't be breaking the bank with the cake! Which was a concern since I was originally designing something around the sandcastle topper. I sent Chef Brian the sketch below (calling it Celestial Mickey) and was quoted $137! So happy!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #1022
KerriL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
WooHoo!!! Got my quote today and thankful to say I won't be breaking the bank with the cake! Which was a concern since I was originally designing something around the sandcastle topper. I sent Chef Brian the sketch below (calling it Celestial Mickey) and was quoted $137! So happy!

[IMG][/IMG]
Great design!! Can't wait to see the cake!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #1023
Janis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
Awesome design!!! Please make sure you post a pic!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #1024
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Ok, quick question that another post had me thinking.

I talked to Yvette about an 8" cake, I knew these were only 2 cake, filling & frosting options, while the 10" has many more combinations to choose from. Are the 8" cakes pre-made, like frozen ahead of time, then they just thraw & decorate it? Would ordering a 10" cake be fresher since I could pick all of the different options instead of just straight vanilla or chocolate?
Does that question even make sense, lol?

Someone had posted that their 8" wasn't fresh tasting, not moist, etc. So it made me wonder if they aren't baked when they are actually being customized & decorated.

Our wedding cake was at Narcoossee's, 10" & was delicious, so it just made me wonder.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1025
Mama Odie
Mouseketeer

Multiple celebrations

Has anyone ordered a cake to celebrate several family events at once? In January, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary and our daughters' 6th and 9th birthdays. I'd like to order a special cake for our dinner at CM and I'm trying to think up a design that would be special for everyone.

So far the best idea I've come up with is a series of 3 mini cakes with some sort of central theme (like one of the movies, for instance). That way DH & I can share a cake and the girls will each have their own cake & candles. We also don't want a ton of leftovers. We're only going to be at WDW for a few days! But is there another way to go? I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

~ Julie ~

Loved our first Disney cruise so much, I even wrote a song about it!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #1026
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Odie
Has anyone ordered a cake to celebrate several family events at once? In January, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary and our daughters' 6th and 9th birthdays. I'd like to order a special cake for our dinner at CM and I'm trying to think up a design that would be special for everyone.

So far the best idea I've come up with is a series of 3 mini cakes with some sort of central theme (like one of the movies, for instance). That way DH & I can share a cake and the girls will each have their own cake & candles. We also don't want a ton of leftovers. We're only going to be at WDW for a few days! But is there another way to go? I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

~ Julie ~

My bff and I are going to Disney in December, and we are celebrating both our birthdays! :D We plan on ordering two different mini cakes to be delivered to one of our ADRs. We'll just bring them back to the room to enjoy if need be.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #1027
syntigger
Mouseketeer

Question Bff/bday cake

CAKE ORDERED AT ART OF ANIMATION RESORT
TOTAL 35 PLUS TAX
WHITE CAKE WHITE BUTTERCREAM WITH PALE PINK AND BLUE MICKEY HEADS WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE BEST FRIENDS SIGN SHE LOVED IT AND WAS SO SHOCKED

Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1028
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

I just called the Boardwalk to order our daughters 18th birthday cake. I have sent over an email with example picture .. however by phone I was quoted 450 for a Mad hatter 8 inch cake!!! I stated I wanted a colorful Mad hatter 8 inch cake plain chocolate and no filling. They stated that specialty cakes start at 450. I am hoping our email exchanges get us a better quote! Does this seem odd????

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1029
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

I think they misunderstood what you asked for. $450 is the price of a 2-tier Mad Hatter cake. You can usually get a 1-tier Mad Hatter for somewhere between $125 and $250, depending on the size (6-inch vs. 8-inch) and the amount of decoration required. Traditional custom cakes (i.e., not shaped cakes) start at around $65.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1030
smkohn
Mouseketeer

Ok cake experts, big question. We just had a little magic come through and snagged a BLT room for Thursday. I was originally going to order a cake from Boardwalk and have it delivered to our room a week from today. Is there still time to get in an order at BLT for Thursday? I'd love to have Chef Brian do a firework themed cake that we can eat while watching the fireworks from our room.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #1031
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I think they misunderstood what you asked for. $450 is the price of a 2-tier Mad Hatter cake. You can usually get a 1-tier Mad Hatter for somewhere between $125 and $250, depending on the size (6-inch vs. 8-inch) and the amount of decoration required. Traditional custom cakes (i.e., not shaped cakes) start at around $65.
Thanks for the information. I will post what I find out after I get an email back. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding.

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #1032
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkohn View Post
Ok cake experts, big question. We just had a little magic come through and snagged a BLT room for Thursday. I was originally going to order a cake from Boardwalk and have it delivered to our room a week from today. Is there still time to get in an order at BLT for Thursday? I'd love to have Chef Brian do a firework themed cake that we can eat while watching the fireworks from our room.
The only way to know for sure is to call, but some of the bakeries on property can do custom work with as few as 48 hours' notice. Let's hope the Contemporary's is one of them!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #1033
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntigger View Post
CAKE ORDERED AT ART OF ANIMATION RESORT
TOTAL 35 PLUS TAX
WHITE CAKE WHITE BUTTERCREAM WITH PALE PINK AND BLUE MICKEY HEADS WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE BEST FRIENDS SIGN SHE LOVED IT AND WAS SO SHOCKED

Awesome cake and price! How sweet and thoughtful of you! Who did you contact to order the cake?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1034
smkohn
Mouseketeer

Ok, the cake ordering process is done. 8" marble cake with chocolate mousse filling and white butter cream icing. I asked for a fireworks theme, but the lady didn't ask for anything else specific other than did I want any inscription. Thinking back, I wish I would've asked about doing a screenprint of Spaceship Earth. If I get the kind of fireworks cake that has been on here twice, it'll be the castle. Oh well. We'll see how it turns out Thursday night. It's being delivered to our room at Bay Lake.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1035
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuess View Post
I talked to Yvette about an 8" cake, I knew these were only 2 cake, filling & frosting options, while the 10" has many more combinations to choose from. Are the 8" cakes pre-made, like frozen ahead of time, then they just thraw & decorate it? Would ordering a 10" cake be fresher since I could pick all of the different options instead of just straight vanilla or chocolate?

Someone had posted that their 8" wasn't fresh tasting, not moist, etc. So it made me wonder if they aren't baked when they are actually being customized & decorated.
No, none of the cakes are ever frozen (supposedly even the cakes you can get at the restaurant podiums aren't ever frozen, but I once had a server say he had to thaw one out, so...). I think it's luck of the draw on freshness. Sometimes, especially with fancy cakes, they have to start the process several days ahead, which might result in a stale taste. In fact, I'd wager that you have a better chance of getting a fresh cake if you don't order an elaborate fondant-covered creation because they don't have to make it so far ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkohn View Post
Ok, the cake ordering process is done. 8" marble cake with chocolate mousse filling and white butter cream icing. I asked for a fireworks theme, but the lady didn't ask for anything else specific other than did I want any inscription. Thinking back, I wish I would've asked about doing a screenprint of Spaceship Earth. If I get the kind of fireworks cake that has been on here twice, it'll be the castle. Oh well. We'll see how it turns out Thursday night. It's being delivered to our room at Bay Lake.
I would say that, without providing a photo or communicating with the pastry chef, you have a slim chance of getting anything like the cakes you've seen on this thread. If it's a really big deal to you, you might want to call back and ask for the chef's contact info so you can communicate exactly what you want.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: