Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #976
kcs220
Earning My Ears

Buttercream vs Fondant with decorations?

I want to order a cake for my inlaws' 40th anniversary while we're in WDW late November... however, my MIL can't stand fondant AT ALL, so I'm a little concerned about my decoration options for the cake. Has anyone ordered a cake with buttercream icing and decorations beyond frosting flowers? I was hoping for the Mickey/Minnie anniversary topper with maybe a few poinsettias since they had a Christmas wedding. Thanks!

Last edited by kcs220; 10-27-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: change notification
Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #977
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceywj View Post
So excited that I just ordered a customized Her Highness Package for DDs at the CRT. I ordered 1 balloon, 2 tiaras and 2 slippers for $75 plus tax and gratuity.

Silly ?: will I see the delivery person to tip them? Who who should I give the gratuity to?

could you point me in the direction for this package?

our surprise day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cIzwp4XWk&feature=plcp

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #978
staceywj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56

I think I found the link on the first couple of pages in this thread but it may be also be on Disneys page. It is supposed to come w a princess cake.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #979
shadowryter
DISNEYHOLIC

Hi all, I wanted to report on our cake experiences from our trip on the 9th. I decided that it would order only mini cakes this time and made my orders about 6 weeks out. I contacted each restaurant and asked for the pastry chefs email. The ordering process was quick and the only issues I had was a changed phone number which I informed lurkyloo of and that the email I had for the Contemporary had changed.

I sent an image I made with Photoshop of each cake I wanted and the exact flavor, filling, personalization. The only one I did not send to was Chef Brian. I told him what I would like, colors and flavors and the design was up to him. He did not dissapaoint. I also called a couple of days before we left to verify each order and everything was set. So I left for my trip and prayed a little.

Here is my very happy results.

Yachtman Steakhouse: emailed and spoke with Yvette.
2 tiered mini cake....vanilla cake with dark chocolate mousse filling.
Asked for colors of yellow and peach with roses. A single white rose a must.
Cost: $35
After our delicious dinner our sever arrived with our cake. It was moist and tasty and enough for the three us, even four.

On our MNSSHP night we had lunch at the Crystal Palace. When our meal was over our server brought us our bill. Huh? I told him I had ordered a cake. My family knew about this so there was no real surprise. He said he would check and after a few minutes returned with our cake. It caused a bit of a commotion with people oooing and aahing. A woman was the UK offered to take a pictire of us with our little Halloween treasure. Like I said Brian did not dissapoint.

Crystal Palace: emailed Chef Brian
2 tiered mini cake...chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse fillling.
Asked for colors of purple and orange with a little black mickey witches hat on the top.
Again very tasty and enough for four.

Lastly was DD's birthday. I sent a picture of lurkyloo's adorable pink and green mini cake and a picture of my own to Jesse with my requests and she sent me a reply saying she could duplicate it. After our dinner at the Flying Fish we recieved a bill and no cake. I told our server and after a few minutes he returned with DD's cake. Another great tasting cake and perfect for our girl's 22nd birthday.

Flying Fish: emailed Jesse
2 tiered mini cake...red velvet cake with cream cheese filling.
Decorated like lurkyloo's except with yellow roses and purple buttercream.
Cost: $25
Delicious....

All in all wonderful experiences...after 3 failed attempts using the GF bakery I have to admit that I was cake gun shy...but no more. I called to verify and asked where my cake was when it didn't arrive. I'm very happy and might even give GF another chance on our Decmeber trip next year.Thanks lurkyloo for your expert advice. I don't know what we would do without you.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #980
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowryter View Post
Crystal Palace: emailed Chef Brian
2 tiered mini cake...chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse fillling.
Asked for colors of purple and orange with a little black mickey witches hat on the top.
Again very tasty and enough for four.

Ooooooh!!! So cute!! This just sealed the deal for me...definitely getting a mini cake for DD in pink with a princess theme & letting Brian run with it!! Awesome!!

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #981
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs220 View Post
I want to order a cake for my inlaws' 40th anniversary while we're in WDW late November... however, my MIL can't stand fondant AT ALL, so I'm a little concerned about my decoration options for the cake. Has anyone ordered a cake with buttercream icing and decorations beyond frosting flowers? I was hoping for the Mickey/Minnie anniversary topper with maybe a few poinsettias since they had a Christmas wedding. Thanks!
Many people have ordered buttercream cakes. If you look through the older cake threads linked from the first post of this thread, you can see plenty of photos. However, you should know that ALL fondant-covered cakes have buttercream frosting underneath the fondant—your MIL can just peel it off. You don't have to choose between one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
As Stacey pointed out, the link is in the first post of this thread. But I'll put it here too for good measure! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2912870&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowryter View Post
Hi all, I wanted to report on our cake experiences from our trip on the 9th. All in all wonderful experiences...after 3 failed attempts using the GF bakery I have to admit that I was cake gun shy...but no more. I called to verify and asked where my cake was when it didn't arrive. I'm very happy and might even give GF another chance on our Decmeber trip next year.
I'm so glad you had such a great experience and are back in the cake-ordering game! Thanks for taking the time to write up all the details and post pics!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #982
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

We will be celebrating my oldest daughter's Sweet 16 Birthday during our upcoming trip (17 more days!!!).

We were originally thinking of doing a birthday cruise from the Grand Floridan and ordering a cake from the Grand Floridian to have on the cruise. We have since changed our mind.

Now we are thinking of having her cake on the second night of our trip when we dine at Chef Mickey's before Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. If I am correct, Chef Brian would be who I need to get a hold of, correct?

We are going to be a party of 7 ( 3 Adults and 4 children - 15 yrs, 15 yrs, 12 yrs and 2 yrs old) so I am thinking a 6" cake should be a good size.

My daughter would like to have a chocolate cake with dark chocolate mouse & fresh raspberries for the filling. She would like to have it in a Mad Hatter style and a Lilo and Stitch - Tropical theme. Would this be possible for a 6" cake?

Also, do I need to call the cake hotline (1-407-827-2253) or the Contemporary Resort (1-407-824-2955) directly and ask to speak to Chef Brian? I was a little confused on the best way to handle this request.

Thanks for your assistance.

POR Nov 15th-23rd 2012 for DD 16th Bday Celebration
CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #983
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydoodles View Post

My daughter would like to have a chocolate cake with dark chocolate mouse & fresh raspberries for the filling. She would like to have it in a Mad Hatter style and a Lilo and Stitch - Tropical theme. Would this be possible for a 6" cake?
It seems like Chef Brian frequently suggests an 8-inch cake when you ask for a custom design, but only he can answer that question for sure! I can tell you that I have seen 6-inch 1-tier Mad Hatter cakes done by other bakeries on property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydoodles View Post
Also, do I need to call the cake hotline (1-407-827-2253) or the Contemporary Resort (1-407-824-2955) directly and ask to speak to Chef Brian? I was a little confused on the best way to handle this request.
Either number will work. I prefer to call Private Dining directly to avoid all the button-pushing in the Cake Hotline's voicemail system.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #984
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
It seems like Chef Brian frequently suggests an 8-inch cake when you ask for a custom design, but only he can answer that question for sure! I can tell you that I have seen 6-inch 1-tier Mad Hatter cakes done by other bakeries on property.

Either number will work. I prefer to call Private Dining directly to avoid all the button-pushing in the Cake Hotline's voicemail system.
Thank you Lurkyloo!! If we have to get an 8" that will be okay. I am sure the kids will enjoy finishing it up in the hotel room.

When we call private dining do we just ask for chef Brian's e-mail address or do we give them the info about the cake? Sorry for so many questions.

CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #985
lurkyloo

No worries! Usually the way it works at the Contemporary is those of us with more specific ideas in mind call the number and ask the Private Dining CM for Chef Brian's email address so we can send pictures/ideas about the cake and he can tell us what's possible and how much it'll cost. Once that's settled, he asks us to call the number again to place the order.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #986
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
No worries! Usually the way it works at the Contemporary is those of us with more specific ideas in mind call the number and ask the Private Dining CM for Chef Brian's email address so we can send pictures/ideas about the cake and he can tell us what's possible and how much it'll cost. Once that's settled, he asks us to call the number again to place the order.
Fantastic Lurkyloo. We will do just that. We found a picture of a cake that we like but we are also willing to have him use his own creativity. We have been looking at some of the cakes he has done and we are so excited about this cake.

Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it!!!

CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #987
jasmine31523
Mouseketeer

DD Cake!

Hey how do I upload photos of my cake
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #988
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine31523
Hey how do I upload photos of my cake
I use photobucket and copy the IMG code.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #989
jasmine31523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I use photobucket and copy the IMG code.
How I am so confused?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #990
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine31523

How I am so confused?
If you search "posting pictures" there is a few threads on how to do it. I can't link one from the app on my phone but once you figure out photobucket it's pretty simple.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: