Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #481
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

I am hoping for a little input. We will be celebrating my daughter's 16th birthday during our trip in November. We have reserved a Wishes celebration cruise that will be departing from the Grand Floridian. We would like to order a special cake for her from the Grand Floridian bakery. There will be 7 of us in our party (3 adults, 3 teens and a toddler). What size cake would be good for this party size? Also, she has expressed interest in a mad hatter style cake and I am wondering if they are available in smaller sizes.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

POR Nov 15th-23rd 2012 for DD 16th Bday Celebration
CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #482
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Disney says a 6-inch cake will feed 4–6 people, but in my experience there's always been about half the cake leftover with 4 people, so I think a 6-inch cake will be plenty for your group (they're about 4 layers tall). You can get a 6-inch Mad Hatter-style cake like the one pictured below for between $150-$250; the exact price depends on how elaborate the decorations are.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #483
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo
Disney says a 6-inch cake will feed 4–6 people, but in my experience there's always been about half the cake leftover with 4 people, so I think a 6-inch cake will be plenty for your group (they're about 4 layers tall). You can get a 6-inch Mad Hatter-style cake like the one pictured below for between $150-$250; the exact price depends on how elaborate the decorations are.
Great! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the info. ;-)

CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #484
Brandilovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydoodles View Post
I am hoping for a little input. We will be celebrating my daughter's 16th birthday during our trip in November. We have reserved a Wishes celebration cruise that will be departing from the Grand Floridian. We would like to order a special cake for her from the Grand Floridian bakery. There will be 7 of us in our party (3 adults, 3 teens and a toddler). What size cake would be good for this party size? Also, she has expressed interest in a mad hatter style cake and I am wondering if they are available in smaller sizes.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you look at the Lady and the Tramp cake on the previous page - that was a 6" cake and it fed all of us with over a quarter of the cake left over - we were a party of 7 (5 adults and 2 children).

Disneyland 1983 (off property), Disneyworld 1992 (off property), Disneyworld 2003 (off property), ASMo September, 2010, POFQ November 2011, planning Star Wars Weekends and Disney Cruise Vacations

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths"
~Walt Disney~
Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #485
maxsmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks Lurkyloo!
00 Disney Wedding and Honeymoon WL/CSR, 01 1st Anniversary YC, 03 WL, 05 DS's 1st Time POP , 06 POP, 09 Poly DD's 1st Time!, 09 CSR + 1 night POR, 10 Pop then Poly for 10 yr aniv! , Summer of '11: POFQ, Summer of '12 CSR, Summer of '13 AoA (as of now)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #486
Houston86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I will PM you the email, but as I posted earlier, I strongly urge you to call, not just email. There are so many ways for an email to get lost....

Call the Poly first re: the strawberries, and if they say they can't do them, ask the GF for them when you call the GF for the cake. Numbers are here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to...e/by-location/

Yes

Email is the same. You can email him directly if you already have the address, but if you don't hear back in a week or so I'd call to be sure he got it. Also, you will need to then call to actually place the order once the two of you hash out the cake details.

The mini castle cake toppers have been Grand Floridian-only in the past, but I feel like I saw one from the Contemporary a few months back. You'll have to the pastry chef to know for sure.

Thank You Very Much

Many day trips as a kid grew up in Florida, 1995 CBR, 2000 Contemporary, 2008 POFQ, 2009 POFQ, 2012 POFQ, 2015 AoA
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #487
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

We just recently returned from nine fabulous days with our Brave theme this year. Each year we have a theme, that is used to centered around our goodie bags and cake. We ordered another cake from the GF. Pat returned my call timely, and I usually leave much of the decorating choices up to her discretion. We have never been disappointed with our cakes. I ordered a 6 inch buttercream white cake with cream and strawberries in a Brave theme. Pat said the cream and strawberries would be 5.00 extra, with a total cost of 66.00. Pat asked about pink, which I told her was fine, but I thought Brave was mostly blue. She must have looked Brave up online as we chatted, as she said she 'sees that it is blue'.

We arrived at 1900 Park Fare for our dinner, and when the cake was served, we were amazed at our beautiful cake. The waiter placed the candle in the back of the cake as he didn't want to 'ruin the look' of the cake. Good choice! Our waiter also told us everyone commented on our cake and that this was the very first Brave cake to be served! Made us feel special!

The cake was moist and yummy too! I've a small piece in the freezer that we will enjoy when she visits Grammie next weekend! She will be so surprised to have more of her yummy birthday cake!

And, a look at the back of the cake with my first attempt at photo editing!

Karen

Last edited by Cinderella909; 07-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #488
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella909 View Post

Karen
Great cake!!! How cool that you were the first to have a Brave cake!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #489
Jenny1985
Mouseketeer

For those of you who have already received cakes, are you generally charged the same price you were quoted? I was quoted $80 (which I'm totally fine with) but I've seen cakes similar to what I ordered in the $60 range. I was just curious.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #490
JenKatt
Geek in training

Does the contemporary or GF deliver to liberty tree tavern?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #491
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandilovesdisney

If you look at the Lady and the Tramp cake on the previous page - that was a 6" cake and it fed all of us with over a quarter of the cake left over - we were a party of 7 (5 adults and 2 children).
Your cake looks beautiful. I love Lady and the Tramp.

Thank you for sharing. I am glad to hear that a 6" cake worked for your party size. I think that is the size I am going to go with. ;-)

CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #492
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessreilly View Post
I emailed Chef Brian anout a cake i wanted for my son's 6th birthday who is shark crazy. This is the reply i got from him.

Unfortunately we cannot accommodate a request for this cake.* I can do a shark 2 d image on white choc standing up on a 6” round cake that will feed up to 6 people the price would be $85. *Please call 407-824-2955 to place your order. Have a magical day!

Any suggestions on a possible alternative to who might be able to do this cake?

http://cakeheadlovesevil.files.wordp...thday-cake.jpg
This will be our first time ordering a cake through Yatch Club/Beach club private dining. Our teens are scuba divers, so I asked for a coral reef/shark/fish themed cake to be delivered to The Coral Reef restaurant. I am not creative at all, but asked for a brightly colored fondant covered cake. I received a call back a couple days later and was told that they could make a 8" choc cake with choc frosting, coral reef themed with fish, sharks and coral using bright colors..all 3D

Ck with Yatch Club/Beach Club private dining and see what they can do for you.

I hope ours turns out they way I hope it will

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #493
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKatt View Post
Does the contemporary or GF deliver to liberty tree tavern?
The Contemporary is the place to call for delivery to restaurants in the Magic Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1985 View Post
For those of you who have already received cakes, are you generally charged the same price you were quoted? I was quoted $80 (which I'm totally fine with) but I've seen cakes similar to what I ordered in the $60 range. I was just curious.
I've always paid what I've been quoted. Now if you're looking at cakes that came from the Contemporary and you placed your order with another bakery, that might explain the discrepancy. The Contemporary has the lowest pricing of all the bakeries.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #494
Firstxmastrip
Earning My Ears

Hi, does anyone know where I can order the mini wedding cake?? I like the two tier with mini mickey heads and the mickey ears ontop. Also does anyone have any ideas on price?? Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #495
lurkyloo

Complete details on ordering minicakes can be found here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to...ke/#fancycakes

The style you've described is called "Mickey's Delight," which is available at any of the resorts listed at that link. However the only place I've seen it made with Mickey ears on top is the Grand Floridian. You would need to be staying or dining at the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian and place your order through Grand Floridian Private Dining: 407-824-1951. The price is $25-$35.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: