Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1771
2pirates&2tinks
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 142

I can say that some of those cakes can be used as inspiration. Some of those cakes would likely cost as much as a vacation! Just thought it was a good place for some fresh ideas. I found it helpful and wanted to pass the tip along.
2pirates&2tinks is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #1772
McDuck
DIS Veteran
 
McDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 731

I am loving seeing what the Disney bakeries can come up with! Really appreciate everyone sharing their tips and pictures!

We are thinking about doing a cake for my DD's 4th birthday in October. We'll probably dine at Olivia's. Anyone have any experiences they can share or point me to in one of the three incarnations of this thread? Is it possible to have the cake delivered to Olivia's or would we have to pick it up ourselves and hand it over when we arrive? There will be four of us, so I am assuming a 6" should be sufficient, right? Thanks so much! It's never too early to at least start thinking about it.
__________________
Jennie*~*~*~* Proud Navy Wife *~*~*~* 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Finisher <--MY FIRST HALF! , Glass Slipper Challenge: Enchanted 10K & Princess Half Marathon 2014 FINISHER
IN TRAINING: Inaugural Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon & Coast to Coast!
First Drop in the Bucket List: Marathon Weekend 2013 Trip Report!

McDuck is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #1773
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock
 
lurkyloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland!
Posts: 12,452

If you check out Post #2 of this thread, it has the number to call for cakes delivered to Old Key West. Cakes for OKW are made by BoardWalk Bakery (but you must order them through OKW), so look for posts that mention BoardWalk if you want to see their handiwork. 6 inches is plenty for 4 people.
lurkyloo is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #1774
danceintherain
DIS Veteran
 
danceintherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
wow== just wow

so you say that you can ask one of the bakers to do a design from what you see there.
You can always ask.
Since they won't mold any Disney characters, there are certain limits.
It's definitely great for inspiration. You may just have to make it more abstract, provide your own figurines, or add a chocolate cake topper (which can get very expensive).
__________________
~*Becca*~
Well Begun is Half Done...When Plans Go Awry: April 2013 Trip Report
Me (27) DH (27) DS (3) DD (born Feb 2014)
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1775
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?
 
YCFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Princess

She was really nice and helpful when I ordered a cake in January
I've worked with Pat on many occasions and each and every time she was absolutely wonderful and I've never been disappointed with the results!!
__________________
YCFAN is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #1776
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Wanna be Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
I've worked with Pat on many occasions and each and every time she was absolutely wonderful and I've never been disappointed with the results!!
WOW that is really good to know. I hope that maybe I just got her on a off day and it will all work out in the end. Thanks for posting
__________________
ME(35) DH(41) DS(2)

Many Trips Before DS
2013
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
2014
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1777
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 315

Cake is ordered! Chef Brian was awesome to email with, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with. I have ZERO creative vision, so I'm VERY excited that he took my simple "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" and seems to have a clear idea of what he wants to do with it!!! We're not traveling until May but I promise to post pics when we get it delivered to Chef Mickeys.

For what it's worth, the woman with whom I placed the order asked for a credit card "to hold the order" but quite clearly said it would not be charged and that the cake would be added to my dinner bill the night it was received. There was no option to pre-pay or offer another form of payment/billing. I'm fine with that (though pre-pay would have been great too), but was glad she was up front and crystal clear about how it would work.

Thank you all for your help and ideas! Did anyone receive an email confirmation once the cake was ordered or did you just hope for the best? I didn't get a confirmation number or anything.
iheartjuppy is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1778
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Wanna be Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartjuppy View Post
Cake is ordered! Chef Brian was awesome to email with, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with. I have ZERO creative vision, so I'm VERY excited that he took my simple "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" and seems to have a clear idea of what he wants to do with it!!! We're not traveling until May but I promise to post pics when we get it delivered to Chef Mickeys.

For what it's worth, the woman with whom I placed the order asked for a credit card "to hold the order" but quite clearly said it would not be charged and that the cake would be added to my dinner bill the night it was received. There was no option to pre-pay or offer another form of payment/billing. I'm fine with that (though pre-pay would have been great too), but was glad she was up front and crystal clear about how it would work.

Thank you all for your help and ideas! Did anyone receive an email confirmation once the cake was ordered or did you just hope for the best? I didn't get a confirmation number or anything.
This sounds so great! I am glad that he was wonderful to work with. I cant wait to see pictures. I am glad it worked out will for you.
__________________
ME(35) DH(41) DS(2)

Many Trips Before DS
2013
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
2014
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1779
budafam
DIS Veteran
 
budafam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,264

Oh no.. so you can't prepay for a cake? I was hoping to order one for a client as a surprise in May
__________________
Trip Reports:1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
5th 6th *IN PROGRESS*
Dining Reports: DxDP 10/30/11-11/4/11, TIW Food Report, DxDP 10/2/12-10/10/12
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM



budafam is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #1780
Maisey13
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89

How far in advance are most of you ordering your cakes? I just need one mini-cake for a birthday and I figured 30+ days notice would be enough. If I'm wrong please tell me! Thanks
Maisey13 is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #1781
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 396

Okay, so I've ordered a cake, I think. I called twice--once just spoke with the cake hotline CM, second time with Yvette where I gave the reservation number for my Illuminations cruise. Gave my credit card number, phone & email and discussed designs and flavors. Just haven't heard back with a confirmation. Should I call again? Is this typical since I'm not doing anything incredibly complicated?

Here's what we decided: Chocolate w/white chocolate mousse.
Buttercream--theme is Tinkerbell and Periwinkle--twins who don't look alike. Cake will have the two of them and be decorated in halves. Perfect for my opposite-looking and acting fraternal twin girls' birthday, right?
__________________
2girlsR2good is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #1782
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Wanna be Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsR2good
Okay, so I've ordered a cake, I think. I called twice--once just spoke with the cake hotline CM, second time with Yvette where I gave the reservation number for my Illuminations cruise. Gave my credit card number, phone & email and discussed designs and flavors. Just haven't heard back with a confirmation. Should I call again? Is this typical since I'm not doing anything incredibly complicated?

Here's what we decided: Chocolate w/white chocolate mousse.
Buttercream--theme is Tinkerbell and Periwinkle--twins who don't look alike. Cake will have the two of them and be decorated in halves. Perfect for my opposite-looking and acting fraternal twin girls' birthday, right?
Sounds good. I would call again and make sure everything was a go. But that's just me.
__________________
ME(35) DH(41) DS(2)

Many Trips Before DS
2013
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
2014
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #1783
RapunzelFloyd
Mouseketeer
 
RapunzelFloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisey13 View Post
How far in advance are most of you ordering your cakes? I just need one mini-cake for a birthday and I figured 30+ days notice would be enough. If I'm wrong please tell me! Thanks
I started about two weeks before the trip but we didn't actually confirm until 3 days before and the one I am doing is a Rapunzel mini wedding cake for our anniversary. We leave in the AM!! yay!
__________________


Check out my blogwww.rapunzelscrafts.weebly.com
DLR- 31st birthday & proposal- August 2011
WDW-AOA- 1 year Anniversary- March 2013
DLP- September 2013
Disneyworld Beach Club and First Dream Cruise- June 2014
RapunzelFloyd is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #1784
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock
 
lurkyloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Disneyland!
Posts: 12,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisey13 View Post
How far in advance are most of you ordering your cakes? I just need one mini-cake for a birthday and I figured 30+ days notice would be enough. If I'm wrong please tell me! Thanks
I usually don't call til about 2 weeks out cuz I think there's less of a chance my order will get lost in the shuffle!
lurkyloo is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #1785
Maisey13
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I usually don't call til about 2 weeks out cuz I think there's less of a chance my order will get lost in the shuffle!
Great, thanks so much. I read people ordering cakes for months away and I started to get nervous. I'll wait until two weeks out.
Maisey13 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: