Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #1501
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanEmily

I actually just emailed the contemporary the other day asking if they deliver to sanaa. Sadly, they said no they don't deliver there. I'm in the same boat. Have dinner at Sanaa but really wanted Chef Brian to do the cake as I haven't heard the greatest things about the AKL doing custom cakes. We kept our reservation for Sanaa, just changed it to our AK day and our first night were eating at the Wave.
So sadly, no Chef Brian cakes to AKL. Maybe you could give the GF a call and just see. If not, another possibility is picking up a cake from the Boardwalk Bakery. They have made some really nice cakes and is the only place you can pick a cake up at.
I assumed I wouldn't be able to get the cake at dinner---what about delivery via private dining either to our room or to the CL lounge? Has anyone had success with that!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1502
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I just called the Contemporary cake hotline to get the ball rolling on my sister's 50th birthday cake. I thought I was clear in telling the girl that I wanted a "specialty cake" but she didn't get it until I started talking about decorations. Then she said she'd give me the chef's email address so I could correspond with him directly. I've sent a message to him and hope to hear back in a day or so.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #1503
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolson

Thanks so much! Did you have to pick it up in the food court or was it delivered to your room?
It was delivered to our room and waiting for us when we returned from MK!

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #1504
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

Quick question--ordering a mini cake for my Make a WIsh friends. Spoke with Chef Brian and I am ordering----for the mini wedding cakes---can you request what fillings...all they asked was what flavor cake. Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.

SHould I take the credit card off and just send my friend gift cards to cover the cost? Or tell her to double check that it was charged to my card?

Thanks
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #1505
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigget74 View Post
Quick question--ordering a mini cake for my Make a WIsh friends. Spoke with Chef Brian and I am ordering----for the mini wedding cakes---can you request what fillings...all they asked was what flavor cake. Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.
You can order a different filling but there is an upcharge for it. When I did this in May at the Contemporary I was charged $35 for the mini wedding cake plus $5 for the custom filling (passion fruit mousse, worth every dime!).

I can't help with the payment questions, but I know there are some people that have posted about ordering cakes without being part of the travel party so hopefully someone with some experience on that will come along soon.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #1506
PrincessSamanthaC
Mouseketeer

Quote:

SHould I take the credit card off and just send my friend gift cards to cover the cost? Or tell her to double check that it was charged to my card?

Thanks
I think you can request fillings. But I'm not 100% sure. I would also be very careful about using your credit card. Last August we ordered a specialty cake for my sisters birthday and after our trip ended and we were home I got notification from my credit card company that my credit card # had been stolen and that someone had tried to use it in florida but it luckily was declined. The only thing i used that credit card for in florida was to give it to the bakery over the phone. So if you have the option to use gift cards, then I would definitely take that route.

Nov 05' ASM, Nov 07' PC, Oct 09' CS, Nov 10' AKL Oct 11' BC, Aug 12' BC Aug 13' BC, Aug 14' GF
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #1507
Majordis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
I assumed I wouldn't be able to get the cake at dinner---what about delivery via private dining either to our room or to the CL lounge? Has anyone had success with that!
Did you ask AKL IPO? Last year Don from IPO had a Jedi Mickey cake delivered to Chef Mickeys for my DS9. The cake was made at the Beach Club and delivered to Chef Mickeys. It was wonderful
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #1508
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.
If they say they're going to charge your card, they'll charge your card. I gave mine for a recent delivery to my room at the Contemporary, and the charge showed up on my credit card as promised, not on the room charge.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #1509
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
You can order a different filling but there is an upcharge for it. When I did this in May at the Contemporary I was charged $35 for the mini wedding cake plus $5 for the custom filling (passion fruit mousse, worth every dime!).

I can't help with the payment questions, but I know there are some people that have posted about ordering cakes without being part of the travel party so hopefully someone with some experience on that will come along soon.
Glad to hear that the passion fruit mousse was good. I think this is what I am gonna get for my DH birthday cake. What kind of cake did you get?

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #1510
lurkyloo

5th Anniversary Cake from the Contemporary

For our anniversary trip last weekend, we were dining at Be Our Guest restaurant. I didn't like the looks of any of their desserts (and there are currently restrictions on the kinds of cakes that can be delivered there) so I decided to order a mini 2-tier cake to be delivered to our room at the Contemporary after we got back from dinner.

I emailed Chef Brian at the Contemporary a month or so out and sent pictures of a vaguely Moroccan-looking cake I liked that captured the feel of our wedding but was different from any of our previous anniversary cakes.

Inspiration Photo

He determined that the pattern of fondant cutouts was too intricate to be achieved on a standard mini cake, so I splurged on a sort of maxi-mini cake—a 3-inch layer atop a 5-inch layer. After we worked out the details, I called Private Dining at the Contemporary to place my order. Two days before we arrived, I called back to confirm it, and they had all the details exactly right.

The cake was waiting for us when we got back to the room that night (we'd asked for a 10pm delivery time), and it was GORGEOUS! Not only that, it tasted fantastic! This was a big deal, because we’d just had a beautiful-looking but terrible-tasting cake for our vow renewal at Aulani. I love how WDW cakes have real old-fashioned buttercream under the fondant, not that whipped Chantilly nonsense they use at Disneyland and Aulani (the latter’s actually tasted like straight unsalted butter—gack!).

Where: Contemporary Resort - 407-824-2955

When: 2/8/13 (ordered a month in advance)

What: 2-tier small cake (3” round atop a 5” round)

Flavors: Red velvet with cream cheese filling and vanilla buttercream frosting

Price:
$75 +tax and gratuity (b/c Private Dining delivered it)

Sorry there are so many pictures... we felt compelled to over-document this beauty before we destroyed it!

I love that they covered the standard cake board with matching blue fondant for better presentation of the cake.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #1511
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Wow, that anniversary cake is beautiful!! Does anyone have any photos of the babycakes birthday cakes?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #1512
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
If they say they're going to charge your card, they'll charge your card. I gave mine for a recent delivery to my room at the Contemporary, and the charge showed up on my credit card as promised, not on the room charge.
Thank you!

I just didn't want my friends to be in a bind from my treat!
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #1513
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

That cake is so wonderful. It it looks so good. I think this is the size I am going to do.

Yum! Thanks for sharing

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #1514
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Ok. I'm officially sucked in...
Now I just have to figure out a reasonable budget...and work out an idea that fits within it... I'm thinking either a mini-wedding cake or a customized 6-inch. I'll probably stick with butter cream, but I wouldn't shy away from fondant if the price is right.

We'll be 3 adults and 1 almost 3 year old, so I'm thinking a mini wedding cake would be too small, but I'm not sure if I can justify a customized 6-inch.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #1515
lurkyloo

Disney's Bridal Showcase Cakes, Part I

Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings held another bridal showcase on Saturday, and I was sure to get TONS of photos of the display cakes, cupcakes and mini cakes for you guys. It was fun getting to meet the Contemporary’s Chef Brian in person and being able to thank him for all the cakes he’s made us over the years (including the awesome anniversary cake I just posted!), as well as the Grand Floridian’s Chef Richard, who made our first anniversary cake.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: