Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
disneysherrym
Earning My Ears

Best lens for nikon d5100

Hi everyone! I purchased my D5100 back in Nov 2011 that came with AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55mm 1: 3.5 - 5.6 and nikon Dx AF-S Nikkor 55 - 200 mm 1.4 - 5.6. I am new to using a digital SLR camera and have been reading a lot of great info on here and I thank you all for that.

I am looking to purchase a lens for action shots at basketball games(indoors) and also serves as a great lens for vacations and outdoor shots.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
cosine4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysherrym View Post
Hi everyone! I purchased my D5100 back in Nov 2011 that came with AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55mm 1: 3.5 - 5.6 and nikon Dx AF-S Nikkor 55 - 200 mm 1.4 - 5.6. I am new to using a digital SLR camera and have been reading a lot of great info on here and I thank you all for that.

I am looking to purchase a lens for action shots at basketball games(indoors) and also serves as a great lens for vacations and outdoor shots.
Greatly depends on how much you want to spend. My first choice would be the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 ($2400 on B&H). If that is out of your price range I would consider the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 ($770 on B&H).
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

For basketball shots, if its high school level or lower then you should be able to get pretty close to the court. If that is the case then you can more than likely get away with the 50mm f/1.8. This lens runs new for about $120.

I also have used this lens many times for portraits. It is very sharp and the IQ is great. I've also used it on the indoor rides at Disney (though it is a bit on the long side). I've also used it as a general purpose/walk-around/candids lens.

If your using it without a flash, then you have to be pretty much spot on with your focus as using this lens wide open or on the wide open end makes the depth of field very shallow. In other words, don't let the camera choose the focus point. Change the settings so that YOUR choosing what part of your image you want focused.

If your looking for zoom lenses, then that ups your price significantly. The 70-200mm f/2.8's are good if you can't get close to the court or can only be at one spot on the sidelines. This will give you good reach to the other side of the court when the action is away. However, keep in mind these lenses are big and if you can't afford the Nikkor one and have to settle on a 3rd party or older Nikkor with no VR, then you'll want a monopod. These are one of those lenses where the lens, not the camera, is attached to the monopod. If shooting handheld with no VR you'll get a lot of camera shake at the long end, even when pushing the ISO high.

Shorter zooms in the 24-70mm f/2.8 range, even for the 3rd party companies, are almost as expensive as the 70-200mm f/2.8's. I've tried the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 (@ $600) and was very disappointed with its focus accuracy. I ended up selling it and spending the extra money on the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 (luckily I got it before the price went up by a few hundred).

I like the Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8. Excellent IQ and very good focusing. However, its not going to give you much range for basketball. Speed wise it is fine at f/2.8, but it does go for about $500.

I would use my 24-70mm f/2.8 first for indoor basketball. If I didn't have that, my next choice would be my 50mm f/1.8. And I would get as close to the action as possible.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: