DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #3436
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsmom View Post
To all of you experts... care to weigh in on Illuminations? We are going in the summer, and the prospect of walking through big crowds after is scary to me!

Should we stake out a bench early, then just sit on it till the crowds have thinned out after?

Should I try for a res. at the Rose and Crown?

We will have our own car...

We will be done exploring the park between 7 and 7:30, so that should be just about the right time to stake out a spot. My kids are old enough that they will be fine with reading, playing cards, or playing with their electronics for a while.

What do you think? Any tips or fabulous strategies for me? Thanks!
Keep this under your hat
We go to the bridge that crosses from France to UK, International Gateway bridge I believe it is called. Go closer to the UK side, get as close to the rail facing towards show as you can, maybe 15' in after bridge begins to cross water(to verify this, look over bridge where boats enter. This is where they park the boats to view during Illums. cruise. Thus it affords a very great view of the show. We have arrived with 10 mins to spare and been able to see very well, depends on time of year. Arrive 30 mins prior to set your nerves at ease, if you wish. After the show, you can mosey towards front or you can walk to BW area, depending on where you park(you didnt hear me say that either)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #3437
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Quote:
To all of you experts... care to weigh in on Illuminations? We are going in the summer, and the prospect of walking through big crowds after is scary to me!

Should we stake out a bench early, then just sit on it till the crowds have thinned out after?

Should I try for a res. at the Rose and Crown?

We will have our own car...

We will be done exploring the park between 7 and 7:30, so that should be just about the right time to stake out a spot. My kids are old enough that they will be fine with reading, playing cards, or playing with their electronics for a while.

What do you think? Any tips or fabulous strategies for me? Thanks!
As they say, one mans junk, anothers treasure. DW has been able to sell stuff on Ebay with some success, also Craigs List is a good place as well. I say give that a try also.

Last edited by jimmytammy; 02-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #3438
Nicoal13
not so patiently waiting for next vacation

Thank you all for the sweet birthday wishes! Had a great lazy morning with my DS just hanging out at home. Watched a movie, did a craft with him. Then DH came home, surprised me with a lovely emerald necklace that DS helped pick out. Went to dinner with friends and for a few drinks. Got to sleep in today and headed to a dinner and a hockey game tonight.

Hmmm, for my birthday lunch....I like either WCC or 50s Prime time Anywhere in the world would be great, especially if I got to meet you wonderful Groupies!

Speaking of which, I am about 90% certain that DS and I will be headed to the world at the beginning of Dec. Need to get another trip in to use those DVC PAPs! Now to decided if I want to borrow my Feb 14 UY points for this trip or rent....I hate to borrow. Plus if I had to cancel we would have to use them before Feb 1st or lose them.

Bagsmom - I would stake out a spot if have a prime spot is important to you. I enjoy Illuminations, but you can see it pretty well from most spots around the WS lagoon. You can always get a bench, enjoy a snack and a beverage. Go to the caramel store in Germany. Delish!! We always wait to start walking until the crowds have thinned as well. Usually by the we can walk at our own pace and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #3439
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks, everyone!!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #3440
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Hey everyone

Quick question for those that have ever been to Disneyland

I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel but I was thinking of spending a little time at the Grand Californian, maybe for drinks or dinner

It looks kind of like the Lodge from pictures (although I don't think it seems as homely!)

Anyone visited there? Will it give me a little of the Lodge feeling that I am craving
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #3441
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Hey everyone

I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel but I was thinking of spending a little time at the Grand Californian, maybe for drinks or dinner

It looks kind of like the Lodge from pictures (although I don't think it seems as homely!)

Anyone visited there? Will it give me a little of the Lodge feeling that I am craving
Hi Linda

I have not (yet) been to VGC, but have also been intrigued by the design. There is a similarity between it and WL/VWL for a reason: they share the same architect, as does AKV (both Jambo and Kidani): Peter Dominic. I know if you visit GC you'll feel right at home and yes, I think it will evoke similar feelings.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #3442
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67
Hey everyone

I am a local to DL and own at VGC. It is very similar, yet different. Where as WL to me has more of the log cabin feel, is bright, and it is giant compared to VGC. VGC uses darker tones and has lots of warmth. I always feel like its nighttime when I'm there. As for the homely feel, I think it is very much the same, but like I said, a cosy at night feel. No river in the lobby though.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #3443
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Hey everyone

I think it's likely that it will. It always gives me a sense of deja vu when I visit. Kind of similar but can't recall exactly where I've seen it before. It has some similar nooks and crannies if you check out the higher floors that look down at the lobby.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #3444
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I think it's likely that it will. It always gives me a sense of deja vu when I visit. Kind of similar but can't recall exactly where I've seen it before. It has some similar nooks and crannies if you check out the higher floors that look down at the lobby.
I saw images of a home (in montana?) that resembled WL very much so, complete with a river running from the interior to the outside. Can't find it now... anyone know which home I'm talking about? It's on my list of to-buys once I'm a billionaire. :D
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #3445
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

GC is built in the Craftsman style, which is slightly different from the style of the WL.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #3446
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
GC is built in the Craftsman style, which is slightly different from the style of the WL.
What style is WL done in? I thought it was Craftsman Style

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #3447
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
What style is WL done in? I thought it was Craftsman Style
If you google "craftsman" style, you'll see. It was a period in architecture that influenced furniture and interior design. Gustav Stickley did lots of the furniture. The lodge is more rustic and rugged -- like a mountain cabin on a grand scale. I've been out of the history biz for such a long time, my descriptive vocabulary has gone by the wayside. But try googling and you should see some differences. I love both looks!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #3448
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaSRN62 View Post
I'm with ya DLI !!! ANY time in Disney is better than a regular day at home ! Will your FB friend allow us to hijack her trip and wait in those lines with her 18 month old ?!!! 😊

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I wish! I saw some of her pics and looks like they had a great trip!

Quote:
Happy Birthday Nicoal! (A day late!)

Regarding the 18 month old stinker. Are we talking "stinker" as in toddler behavior? Or literal stinkiness? It's been years since I've dealt with poopy pants and I'm not sure I'd be up for it!

!
I think she meant behavior.

Quote:
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
I am a local to DL and own at VGC. It is very similar, yet different. Where as WL to me has more of the log cabin feel, is bright, and it is giant compared to VGC. VGC uses darker tones and has lots of warmth. I always feel like its nighttime when I'm there. As for the homely feel, I think it is very much the same, but like I said, a cosy at night feel. No river in the lobby though.
We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. It is like Kathy described. It is beautiful but just in a different way than WL. Sure worth a visit. We love the theme of it and love the woodwork.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #3449
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Anybody up for another round of Alphabet game?

Animal Kingdom
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #3450
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

Go for it JT!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: