DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #3331
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoal13 View Post
Just back from a week at OKW with my DS and my parents. Weather was wonderful!! We had mid 70s most of the week, even 80 a couple days. Nice enough to swim and relax by the pool.

DS (7) tripped on the bus one day and hit his head and got a black eye. He screamed so much I was sure he would be covered in blood when he stood up. Poor guy, but it wasn't bleeding and didn't swell up too much. Some ice and swimming afterwards made him feel better.

Crowds were much higher than other times that I've been there the same week. Dancers the first weekend, then cheerleaders. Oh and the Brazilian tour groups. They are very rude. Seemed like a lot of South American families. One person goes into a line and later, 20 more join the line. We did try to block some from getting around us a few times. They also used a lot of flash photography on dark rides.

Despite those couple of hiccups, we had a great week. Drove to Indian Rocks Beach on the gulf one day as well. Water was chilly, but it was a nice day to relax there.

I really enjoyed OKW, hadn't stayed there before.

Now figuring out how I can squeeze in another trip in December since DS and I have the DVC PAPs....I'd like to come meet some of the groupies
Poor boy! What a bummer, hurting yourself on vacation!

It is so interesting that you say that about the Brazilian tour groups! The last time I was there as a teenager, probably 1981, maybe, there was a group from Brazil and they really were obnoxious. I don't mean that to be inflammatory, but they kept chanting Gooooooo BraaaaaZIL super loud in all the waiting areas -- they did the line-cutting and stuff. I don't understand it. Yikes. I hope we don't run into too much of that when we are there!

Sorry you had to deal with it. Speaking for myself, that kind of stuff makes me get really mad. And I don't "do mad" very well. Makes me uncomfortable, since I'm generally good natured. I don't like feeling angry at someone -- especially not at the most wonderful place in the whole world!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #3332
Nicoal13
not so patiently waiting for next vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsmom View Post
Poor boy! What a bummer, hurting yourself on vacation!

It is so interesting that you say that about the Brazilian tour groups! The last time I was there as a teenager, probably 1981, maybe, there was a group from Brazil and they really were obnoxious. I don't mean that to be inflammatory, but they kept chanting Gooooooo BraaaaaZIL super loud in all the waiting areas -- they did the line-cutting and stuff. I don't understand it. Yikes. I hope we don't run into too much of that when we are there!

Sorry you had to deal with it. Speaking for myself, that kind of stuff makes me get really mad. And I don't "do mad" very well. Makes me uncomfortable, since I'm generally good natured. I don't like feeling angry at someone -- especially not at the most wonderful place in the whole world!!!!
DS always seem to have something go wrong on vacation. First couple times to WDW he got a cold, ear infection. Last time he got a stomach bug towards the end. I was certain this time he would get a stomach bug again since he has a loose tooth and was constantly wiggling it the first couple days. But he stopped doing that. I'm just grateful he didn't get hurt worse.

Yea, I'm generally good natured too, but rudeness in WDW bothers me. I don't know how WDW can stop these groups from acting this way, but something needs to be done. My son was really upset about the flash photography on Haunted Mansion. Luckily since it was later at night, we could jump right back on and ride again. But if that was our only shot to ride I would have been even more bothered.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #3333
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
The last time I was there as a teenager, probably 1981, maybe, there was a group from Brazil and they really were obnoxious. I don't mean that to be inflammatory, but they kept chanting Gooooooo BraaaaaZIL super loud in all the waiting areas -- they did the line-cutting and stuff. I don't understand it. Yikes. I hope we don't run into too much of that when we are there!
From what I'm reading Disney now requires these tour groups to partake in a first day session on how to behave in Disney/America. What's acceptable from one country to the next is not always the same. The only issue we've come across in recent years with these groups is that they have no modesty as to their bodies. Twice we've walked into the ladies' room to find naked teens changing at the sinks. I perfected the 180 degree turn that trip LOL.

Last edited by twinklebug; 02-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #3334
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklebug View Post
From what I'm reading Disney now requires these tour groups to partake in a first day session on how to behave in Disney/America. What's acceptable from one country to the next is not always the same. The only issue we've come across in recent years with these groups is that they have no modesty as to their bodies. Twice we've walked into the ladies' room to find naked teens changing at the sinks. I perfected the 180 degree turn that trip LOL.
That's funny!

To take some of the pressure off of the visitors from other countries, here's a story. When we went the first time with our kids, we stopped at the big Florida visitor's center. My six year old son needed some Mom help in the restroom, so he went with me. I'm sure you know how big and busy that place is. This... female person ( I don't want to say "lady") gave us both the most incredible STINK EYE, looked right at my little boy and said in a VERY mean tone, "THIS IS A LADIES' ROOM!" Ohhhhhmygosh! Don't you know that the mother wolf in me raised her hackles. I said "he is SIX!" I was so mad, I was just shaking. I was not about to send my six year old into that giant men's room alone. Of course, after the fact, I thought of all sorts of snappy come-backs. Like - so what are YOU doing in here?" But I never think of that stuff, and wouldn't have been that ugly in front of my little boy anyway. He felt so bad, like he had done something wrong.

I wanted to dunk that nasty woman right in toilet!

Of course, once we got on the road and got closer to the World, I started to feel the pixie dust in the atmosphere, so I felt better.

Re the big touring groups -- would it have worked to go to another attraction, then backtrack after they were done? Or were there just too many of them? Trying to plan a strategy!

Oh -- Nicoal - thanks for the tip about the tickets on the room key. I think I'll make an effort to do this, if possible.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #3335
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

When I was new and naive to this boards, I had seen a couple of posts about the obnoxious tour groups that happen to be from countries like Brazil And I thought, I don't see the big deal, how bad can it be. We get tour groups at DL, yes annoying and in my way, but who cares.

OH MAN. Our first trip we got "stuck" with a lot of them in the Spiderman queue at US. We someone were between them. I don't know if it was two groups, or if one half was slow and we were in the middle. It was loud, obnoxious, yelling over each other, and well, not smelling like flowers.

Let's just say this experience has made me even more wary of staying value is 13 days.....
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #3336
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
When I was new and naive to this boards, I had seen a couple of posts about the obnoxious tour groups that happen to be from countries like Brazil And I thought, I don't see the big deal, how bad can it be. We get tour groups at DL, yes annoying and in my way, but who cares.

OH MAN. Our first trip we got "stuck" with a lot of them in the Spiderman queue at US. We someone were between them. I don't know if it was two groups, or if one half was slow and we were in the middle. It was loud, obnoxious, yelling over each other, and well, not smelling like flowers.

Let's just say this experience has made me even more wary of staying value is 13 days.....
I don't even mind a little stinky (a LITTLE) as long as everyone is nice and kind to other people. That's the part that gets me.

As far as the people getting changed in the bathroom, I remember being in Canada with my family. My brother was about 14. All these young teenage girls from somewhere in Europe were stripping down to bra and panties and going wading in a stream. I am SURE it was my brother's very favorite part of the whole vacation!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #3337
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
This is as it stands now. We are going mid June! I'd love your thoughts!

Friday -- arrive at Contemporary about 2:00! It's a surprise! Rest a little and eat something, probably. Around 5, walk over to MK for a couple of rides and spend a couple hours people watching as we stake out our spot for parade and fireworks.

Saturday -- sleep in. Low crowd day at MK! Enjoy park from 11:00 till 2:00. Head over to the LODGE! YAY! Spend time enjoying VWL. Swim.

Sunday -- Do Epcot with a break around lunchtime at VWL. Return to Epcot 4 to 7:30. Come back to have a restful evening and decent bedtime.

Monday -- Early arrival at Blizzard Beach -- bring a lunch. Return to lodge around 1:30. Evening - go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and be nosy. Early bed.

Tuesday -- Magic Kingdom till about 2:00. Back to Lodge for a very long break -- about 5 hours. Swim. Chill. Around 7:00, go to FW for Chip and Dale singalong and movie. Late night.

Wed -- Sleep in. Dad's day off. Bike ride, swim, explore FW, hidden Mickey hunt at lodge... etc.

Thursday -- EMH day at MK -- very early! Last day for MK -- stay till around 3:00. It's our anniversary. Do something low key, cheap, and romantic at VWL in evening. Picnic on beach?

Friday -- DHS most of the day. Return for Fantasmic if they have it.

Saturday -- sleep in and go home.

I know we are using tickets sort of wastefully on Friday and Saturday, but the cost of 6 days of tickets isn't much more than 4, so I won't mind. I've tried to make it so that we aren't completely exhausting ourselves by staying in the parks from morning till night -- trying to balance late nights with restful mornings and vice versa. I want to go nooooooowwwwww!
Looks like a good schedule, and you are wise to not try to pack so much into a day. So many times, people go and they are exhausted by the 2nd day. And I love the idea of a picnic on the WL beach! You mentioned where to get picnic food, are you driving, Im assuming from Tenn. you are? If so, we like to go to Winn Dixie on Apoka Vineland Rd. which is about 10 mins from VWL if you go the back way. They have a really nice deli with good choice of meats, etc. and are glad to let you try before you buy. If you need directions, I will be glad to share.

Last edited by jimmytammy; 02-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #3338
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Thanks William and glad to read your Mom did well at the Doctors visit. I was at White Lake so completely missed your post earlier.

Nicoal So sad about your DS. Glad it didnt mess up his trip. Feel your pain on the tour groups, we have run across our fair share of em. I went to Brazil once and found the people to be too laid back there, to the point the men dont go to work til they are in their 40s. I told one fellow I had 3 jobs(I was 20 at the time and he looked at me like I was crazy). But they are very festive and enjoy their party time, so I think WDW is party time x many people=chaos for us less than party equal USAers!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #3339
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
Looks like a good schedule, and you are wise to not try to pack so much into a day. So many times, people go and they are exhausted by the 2nd day. And I love the idea of a picnic on the WL beach! You mentioned where to get picnic food, are you driving, Im assuming from Tenn. you are? If so, we like to go to Winn Dixie on Apoka Vineland Rd. which is about 10 mins from VWL if you go the back way. They have a really nice deli with good choice of meats, etc. and are glad to let you try before you buy. If you need directions, I will be glad to share.
Thanks, JT! We're actually in GA. But I LOVE Tennessee!I have directions to the WinnDixie from my guidebook. That's a great idea! I was also thinking about the food court. They have cold sandwiches and salads, don't they? We are so excited to go there!

Can't wait -- can't wait -- can't wait!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #3340
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks William and glad to read your Mom did well at the Doctors visit. I was at White Lake so completely missed your post earlier.

Nicoal So sad about your DS. Glad it didnt mess up his trip. Feel your pain on the tour groups, we have run across our fair share of em. I went to Brazil once and found the people to be too laid back there, to the point the men dont go to work til they are in their 40s. I told one fellow I had 3 jobs(I was 20 at the time and he looked at me like I was crazy). But they are very festive and enjoy their party time, so I think WDW is party time x many people=chaos for us less than party equal USAers!
Yes, I think you are right. It's just excessive exuberance X a few too many folks.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #3341
jimmytammy
Not Tammy, just Jimmy

Quote:
Thanks, JT! We're actually in GA. But I LOVE Tennessee!I have directions to the WinnDixie from my guidebook. That's a great idea! I was also thinking about the food court. They have cold sandwiches and salads, don't they? We are so excited to go there!

Can't wait -- can't wait -- can't wait!
Yes, Roaring Forks has wonderful salads, and cold sandwiches as well as I remember. Check out their menu.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3342
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

Hi - We are not groupies yet, but are very excited to be planning to be there (fingers crossed!) 8/3-8/9. Can't wait to read everything in this thread & get up to speed on this resort.

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #3343
Nicoal13
not so patiently waiting for next vacation

Quote:
That's funny!

Re the big touring groups -- would it have worked to go to another attraction, then backtrack after they were done? Or were there just too many of them? Trying to plan a strategy!

Oh -- Nicoal - thanks for the tip about the tickets on the room key. I think I'll make an effort to do this, if possible.
The groups were everywhere. I guess we could have avoided them sometimes by going to another attraction, but what is to say that another group wasn't at that attraction....oh well.

I believe in a couple months, you will have to have your tickets on your room key or the new wristband.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #3344
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Entrance pictures.

Quote:
Thanks Liz!
BTW, Tues night is the big night
sechem32, wfc4life and the jimmytammy family are headed to see Mary Poppins show in Durham!! Cant wait!!
Have a great time.

Hey Jimmy,
I've got a vacation planned. Hooray. We snagged a last minute at Saratoga springs.
3/17-3/22.
A bit bittersweet as it will be the first one without the old guy but we're really looking forward to it.
Wish it was at the lodge but boy I can't wait to see the world.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #3345
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Picture Contest.

OK, so after two long years, we're finally heading back to the world. Jeez, I need to hear some disney music. I know I'll be smiling at the first wdw sign.

So I'm posting a photo contest. (sorry guys, no prize here ) Post a picture of an "entrance".

It could be an entrance to the lodge, to the world itself, to a park, restaurant or any thing. Any thing that makes you say "Yeah, I'm here!!! )

Last edited by eliza61; 02-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: