Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #76
RSM
Mouseketeer

Busy, but fun travel in 2013:

Key West, FL in March
Orlando in April (Disneyworld and Universal)
Quest for the West ABD in June (2 days in South Dakota before the ABD)
London in August
Stowe, Vermont for a long weekend in October
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #77
SleepingPrincess
Earning My Ears

We have 4 mini trips to WDW (January/February/May -SW Weekend/September) and then 1 week in October for Food and Wine. Basically, making the most out of the AP we got this year (haha).

We're also doing the ABD in Scotland in June and going to San Diego for Comic-Con in July.
SleepingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #78
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
We just did a Tauck Bridges riverboat cruise on the Danube this past June/July. It was really beautiful. It is the perfect trip for kids as well as adults where most other lines are basically an older crowd. We met some great families. The crew on our riverboat was the best we have ever encountered in all our sailings. We arrived in Budapest a day early and I recommend it highly for it is a gem of a city. After we flew on to Prague a few days and again a city rich with history. I would think that ABD might want to start looking at riverboat tours for the ease of travel and wonderful historic places you visit.
Yes! They could set it up much like they do on the Galapagos cruise...you are on the vessel with others but have your " group" when touring and such. Actually, that trip will be just my DH and I. It is getting increasingly harder to travel with the girls because hey have limited vacations ( when of course prices are the highest) and soon with one in college and one still in HS, they won't even have the same breaks!

We looked into Grand Circle, but they are all long, well over 2 weeks, which is difficult to this age with work and kids and pets to leave behind! AMA and Uniworld are recommended by our wonderful TA, but I'm a little worried about the formality ( even more than the age thing) I really don't enjoy a trip where they expect you to get all gussied up every night! Honestly, I dont want to pack that much stuff! But both of those seem to offer bicycles in port which is a big priority for us, DH and I are avid bikers and would love to explore Europe this way!

But if ABD offered this cruise,I would go even as adults with the other families or on an AO departure. (mostly to get more favorably priced flights and tours- not because I don't want to be with the kids)
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #79
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
We looked into Grand Circle, but they are all long, well over 2 weeks, which is difficult to this age with work and kids and pets to leave behind! AMA and Uniworld are recommended by our wonderful TA, but I'm a little worried about the formality ( even more than the age thing) I really don't enjoy a trip where they expect you to get all gussied up every night! Honestly, I dont want to pack that much stuff! But both of those seem to offer bicycles in port which is a big priority for us, DH and I are avid bikers and would love to explore Europe this way!
Have you ever traveled with or checked out Backroads? They do fabulous trips, many of which include (or are totally) bike trips. ABD actually based some of their practices on Backroads. I took a trip with them to Nova Scotia, and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddles View Post
2013 is going to be a big ABD year for us:

- Scotland ABD (on the June 30th trip). We'll spend a week in England before going on the trip (and we have relatives there and a free place to stay!). My kids are excited about doing a Harry Potter tour in London.

- Australia ABD (on the Dec 18th trip). This has been on my bucket list forever, so really excited to go. We're going to spend a few days in New Zealand first, doing some Lord of the Rings highlights (totally geeking out!), and also hoping to spend NYE in Sydney.

Those will be the big family trips. If we can get a screaming deal to Mexico (we live in Austin, TX so airfare is ususally pretty cheap), we may spend a few days in Cancun/Riviera Maya over Memorial day.

2013 will be a fun travel year!
Sounds like a full year! Are you going to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio Tour outside of London? It opened after I went to London, and I'm dying to see it.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #80
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

March/April: We'll be cruising on the Fantasy for spring break, followed by a few days at WDW.
June: Spending a few days in New York before heading to Germany for our first ABD
July: Leaving Germany for Ireland. We'll have a few days to spend in Dublin before our Ireland ABD starts up on July 2nd.
August: My DD and her BFF will be coming with me to DLR for 5 days. Then my DD and our extended family will be on the Wonder for our first Alaska cruise.

There are so many firsts that we are doing for travel this year and we can't wait to see what our favorite will be.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #81
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Have you ever traveled with or checked out Backroads? They do fabulous tripso
Yes! I salivate over their trips all the time! We are planning on using them when we start our Europe capitals tours ( after we've satisfied our wanderlust for the adventure trips!) Our plan is to do " the city" ( possibly with ABD) one week and then hit the countryside nearby on a Back Roads trip, but alas, that is also one of our 2+ week ideas and we have to wait till all the birdies are out of the nest
I know they are great trips because one of the things I do when I look at a guide book or itinerary, is look for one in a place I've been or go regularly. Then I see how they describe/tour the places I already know, and then I know if they plan/run good trips.

With BR, I ran into their trip leaders doing some advance work near my summer home in Maine. I was on my bike at one of my favorite places to pedal to- Nervous Nellies Jams and Jellies. It's a part sculpture garden, part tea house where they make and sell their own jams- really it defies description, but is wonderful! That BR s would include this spot on their itinerary proves to me that their trips are wonderfully planned to include unique local attractions!

Agghhh! How will I ever be able to do all I have planned So many places....not nearly enough vacation days
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #82
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello

Sounds like a full year! Are you going to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio Tour outside of London? It opened after I went to London, and I'm dying to see it.

Sayhello
What is this Harry Potter tour you speak of? My DS 9 & I love HP. I've been reading him the stories every night.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #83
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
What is this Harry Potter tour you speak of? My DS 9 & I love HP. I've been reading him the stories every night.
Warner Brothers have taken a lot of the sets, costumes, props, etc, used for the filming of the Harry Potter movies, and has built a "Studio Tour" (The Making of Harry Potter) at the studio where they did a lot of the filming. It's in Leavesden, about 20 miles outside of London. It just opened up in Spring of 2012. You have to buy timed tickets ahead of time.

I *really* want to see it!

Here's the website for it:

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/en/tour/tour

Sayhello
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #84
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Yes! I salivate over their trips all the time! We are planning on using them when we start our Europe capitals tours ( after we've satisfied our wanderlust for the adventure trips!) Our plan is to do " the city" ( possibly with ABD) one week and then hit the countryside nearby on a Back Roads trip, but alas, that is also one of our 2+ week ideas and we have to wait till all the birdies are out of the nest
I know they are great trips because one of the things I do when I look at a guide book or itinerary, is look for one in a place I've been or go regularly. Then I see how they describe/tour the places I already know, and then I know if they plan/run good trips.

With BR, I ran into their trip leaders doing some advance work near my summer home in Maine. I was on my bike at one of my favorite places to pedal to- Nervous Nellies Jams and Jellies. It's a part sculpture garden, part tea house where they make and sell their own jams- really it defies description, but is wonderful! That BR s would include this spot on their itinerary proves to me that their trips are wonderfully planned to include unique local attractions!

Agghhh! How will I ever be able to do all I have planned So many places....not nearly enough vacation days
OMG, combining a Backroads tour with an ABD tour would be fantastic!!! Now I'm going to have that stuck in my head... And I really need to go to Maine...

Sayhello
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #85
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingPrincess View Post
We have 4 mini trips to WDW (January/February/May -SW Weekend/September) and then 1 week in October for Food and Wine. Basically, making the most out of the AP we got this year (haha).

We're also doing the ABD in Scotland in June and going to San Diego for Comic-Con in July.
We are looking at Scotland for 2014---we eagerly await your trip report! (As for ComicCon, its great if you can get in--the ticket distribution last year was very frustrating. Have you attended in the past?)
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #86
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Warner Brothers have taken a lot of the sets, costumes, props, etc, used for the filming of the Harry Potter movies, and has built a "Studio Tour" (The Making of Harry Potter) at the studio where they did a lot of the filming. It's in Leavesden, about 20 miles outside of London. It just opened up in Spring of 2012. You have to buy timed tickets ahead of time.

I *really* want to see it!

Here's the website for it:

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/en/tour/tour

Sayhello
My DD is dying to do this. DH goes to Britain a few times a year and this year he taking her. I'm saving these websites...she will LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing!
You do need to get to Maine...it is simply beautiful! Send me a PM, and I can give you some good ideas of places to go
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #87
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Well I have a busy year ahead,

We just returned from Jacksonville Fl, nice long weekend, celebrating New Year's Eve with our friends.

Heading to WDW last week of January for my Mom surprise 70th birthday trip.

Back to Fl the last week on Feb and first of march for DD wedding.

May - either a cruise or vegas for 10 year anniversary.

Early Sept - renting a beach house with Friends- no idea where we are going

Dec - DH and I are heading to WDW for some us time - Christmas at WDW

Most of out trips will be long weekends, and there will probably be some getaways with just DH and I, that are unplanned at this point.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #88
SleepingPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
We are looking at Scotland for 2014---we eagerly await your trip report! (As for ComicCon, its great if you can get in--the ticket distribution last year was very frustrating. Have you attended in the past?)
We did SDCC last year (for the first time) and had loads of fun. But yeah, the ticket distribution was horrible - we got them in the second wave that time after we complained regarding the link failure. We managed to get our tickets already for this year through the presale they had in August for returning guests - so we're now just waiting for the hotel lottery to start!
SleepingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #89
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
My DD is dying to do this. DH goes to Britain a few times a year and this year he taking her. I'm saving these websites...she will LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing!
You do need to get to Maine...it is simply beautiful! Send me a PM, and I can give you some good ideas of places to go
Your DD is very lucky! I've been talking with some friends about possibly going to London next Fall. If I do, this is *definitely* on my itinerary!

And I should have said "back to Maine". I was there a kabillion years ago (OK, 30-ish years ago) for a friend's wedding in the Portland area, and we did some touring to Kennebunkport & areas around there. It was totally beautiful, and I keep meaning to go back. Maybe I could merge it with a return trip to Nova Scotia.

Sayhello
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #90
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Depending how money is, I might book myself & DS9 a trip to London this winter. Just the 2 of us.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: