Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
This cracks me up! I went with girlfriends for Princess 2011 and 2012 and let me tell you, it's the way to go! I have 3 kids and it was a joy and a delight to leave for the parks with a purse the size of an envelope! No snacks for everyone, no changes of clothes, no first aid items, no things to keep them entertained in line.

That does sound amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
3 hours will get you in E or F, or at least seemed to this year. You can also put down 2:46 (fastest you can put without proof of time) and you'll probably get D.

I am in the 12:30 Galloway pace group and I do 1:30 min run, 1 min walk. I do two short runs per week, usually 2-3 miles, at a 12-13 min pace (going to work on getting that closer to 11 this year!), then the long run at a 14-14:30 pace, adding time in for heat. I live in NC, so heat is a big factor in summer training and we trained sometimes as slow as 15-16 min miles when it got into the upper 80s before 9AM.

Last year I followed that exact formula from May - Nov, working up to long runs around 15-16 miles, and my PR at a Nov race was 2:44.

FWIW, I am a good 50-70 lbs overweight (was 215 at 5'8" for the race above), and I will be 37 this year.
We are running at the same pace then I've also been doing the 2 short runs at a 12-13 min pace, and my long run is 14 min..
I'm just wondering, when I am finished with my training app.. How do I know what my long runs should be from week to week? I've seen JG's training plan on the RunDisney site, and I do plan on using that starting in October. Right now, the longest run on my app is 8 miles.. I haven't ran that far yet.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #32
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Does everyone usually fly in on Friday?
Where are your favorite resorts to stay in?
We did Thurs. night to Monday morning this year. 2011 we stayed at the Swan b/c Julie's SIL got a great discount there. It was very nice and is on the boat route - you can get to Epcot and DHS via the boat. This year we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and really liked it. The room was nice and the food court was fine. One night we went over to Port Orleans Riverside to eat as their food court is much bigger. We stayed here because it was a host hotel and provided bus service to and from the expo and the race. The dream is to one day stay at the Poly...

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did Thurs. night to Monday morning this year. 2011 we stayed at the Swan b/c Julie's SIL got a great discount there. It was very nice and is on the boat route - you can get to Epcot and DHS via the boat. This year we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and really liked it. The room was nice and the food court was fine. One night we went over to Port Orleans Riverside to eat as their food court is much bigger. We stayed here because it was a host hotel and provided bus service to and from the expo and the race. The dream is to one day stay at the Poly...
Does the Swan have a nurse's discount? How many people can stay to a room there, just 4?

I've been considering the POFQ, we are staying at POR in October and I plan on checking out the FQ while I'm there.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Because of work I will get in Friday night and go home Monday. I can't take 2 days off (I am a teacher) so I will just have to make due with a quick weekend. We are DVC members but own at OKW. I plan to stay at any of the host resorts I can get a room booked at!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This cracks me up! I went with girlfriends for Princess 2011 and 2012 and let me tell you, it's the way to go! I have 3 kids and it was a joy and a delight to leave for the parks with a purse the size of an envelope! No snacks for everyone, no changes of clothes, no first aid items, no things to keep them entertained in line.
Ohhhh that sounds really easy and relaxing. DH , our 5 yr old son and I will be coming from Calif. and it is about the race for me but also this will be our son's first time in WDW. So it's the backpacks, snack, water, toys, change of clothes and on and on and on for me. I will say the race will be my "ME TIME". I hope to go to the Expo by myself with out my guys and hopefully we will all have a Princess Meet to attend.

We plan on flying in on Thurs and out on Wends. I am concerned about the West Coast-East Coast time difference and still getting up early for race morning. The plan is to stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. DH and I stayed there before our cruise years ago and liked it and thought it would be fun for our little guy.

My biggest concern is the transportation race morning with the buses since I've never done it before. One thing about DL races .....you just walk to the start.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
happybaker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May, my first 5K. I started the C2K program in February.
I'm signed up for Everest too. A friend and I are going for a girls' weekend (I can't wait!!) I've done a few 5k's though and just did a 5-mile race a couple of weeks ago, but that's the longest race distance I've done so far.

As far as the Princess goes, I'm thinking of staying at POFQ. I've stayed there before and liked it, but then I'm thinking maybe I should try a different moderate.

Princess will probably be a girls' weekend as well, but I think I'll be the only one doing the race. I don't think that weekend would make for a good first-time Disney trip for my DBF.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will check it out for sure! I am going to Disney with my family in October.. so my $$ is going there for now.. but immediately afterwards I'm going to start saving for February!

No kids or husbands going here either!! Well.. I may take my baby (she is 5 months right now) but we'll see. It all depends on if I have someone to keep her during the race.

Does everyone usually fly in on Friday?
Where are your favorite resorts to stay in?
I recommend adding days to the end rather than the beginning, if you are planning on some park touring days. I usually fly in on Fri and back on Tues.

There are two reasons for touring the following Mon/Tues rather than Thurs - one, you won't tire yourself out for the race, and two, it's president's day week the week before the race, and it will be a TON less crowded plus cheaper rates for the week after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
Because of work I will get in Friday night and go home Monday. I can't take 2 days off (I am a teacher) so I will just have to make due with a quick weekend. We are DVC members but own at OKW. I plan to stay at any of the host resorts I can get a room booked at!
We've stayed in OKW the last 2 years. It was not a host resort last year but we had cars so drove to the start. You can also walk but it is not "Disney-approved" to do so.

I do this as a girls weekend every year with 5-7 girls that I met through WISH in 2007. We have an absolute blast.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does the Swan have a nurse's discount? How many people can stay to a room there, just 4?
Not sure; I think I read somewhere that there is a teacher's discount, so you may want to check. Also, Swan / Dolphin are considered Disney properties but they are run by Starwood Hotels, so anyone interested in them can look at Starwood's website for discounts also. Julie's SIL works for them so that's how we got such a great deal in 2011. Her discount wasn't available for this year We had a room with 2 doubles; not sure if they have any kind of suites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
My biggest concern is the transportation race morning with the buses since I've never done it before. One thing about DL races .....you just walk to the start.
That would be nice. We got up at 3 and got on the bus at 4:15 or so. Had to wait in a little bit of a line, but not long at all, really. It was fine. However, we noticed that you can totally walk to the start from OKW and POFQ. If we stay there again next year, we may look into it.

Quote:
I recommend adding days to the end rather than the beginning, if you are planning on some park touring days. I usually fly in on Fri and back on Tues.

There are two reasons for touring the following Mon/Tues rather than Thurs - one, you won't tire yourself out for the race, and two, it's president's day week the week before the race, and it will be a TON less crowded plus cheaper rates for the week after.
Totally agree with this. You can even tell the dip in crowds on Sunday after the race. I will say, though, that if you just get up early, you can do SO MUCH. Most people want to sleep later on their vacation, or, if they have multiple kids, it's hard to get everyone up, fed & ready early. We got to the MK shortly after opening Fri morn. and did everything we really wanted to do (some things twice) with only 2 fastpasses and ate a counter-service lunch by 1-ish. By then the crowds were really starting to get higher so that's when we headed out to the expo. It was perfect!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I'm in! It will be my 3rd Princess- a group of mommy friends I met online almost 8 years ago make it an annual trip.

I was planning on doing the Full in Jan, but we are rethinking plans- $$$. Sigh. So it will be the Princess again! Loved it this year.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #40
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That would be nice. We got up at 3 and got on the bus at 4:15 or so. Had to wait in a little bit of a line, but not long at all, really. It was fine. However, we noticed that you can totally walk to the start from OKW and POFQ. If we stay there again next year, we may look into it.
Can you really walk from OKW? I am so directionally challenged I cannot even imagine where the start is in relation to anything. I think it is time to break out a big map! I think I am going to try for 7 month availability at BCV or BWV if they are host resorts again this year but if I can walk from OKW, I might just be happy there! We won't have a car so that is a big consideration.

Now I am wondering if I could take 2 personal days so we could come home Tuesday instead. Low crowds at the parks sound so nice since we usually travel in the summer months!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #41
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
Can you really walk from OKW? I am so directionally challenged I cannot even imagine where the start is in relation to anything. I think it is time to break out a big map! I think I am going to try for 7 month availability at BCV or BWV if they are host resorts again this year but if I can walk from OKW, I might just be happy there! We won't have a car so that is a big consideration.

Now I am wondering if I could take 2 personal days so we could come home Tuesday instead. Low crowds at the parks sound so nice since we usually travel in the summer months!
Do it!! (I am such a pusher!)

I believe you can walk, yes. I am somewhat directionally challenged as well, but with Google maps I think I have worked out how you can do it. I know a bunch of Princesses walked from POFQ/POR last year and had no issues, but I'm somewhat afraid of the "Disney police" trying to bar you from doing so.

Also, you wouldn't have bag check, or in our case the beer cooler in the car for after...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #42
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Strongly agree!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #43
connersarah1
Earning My Ears

1st Disney Princess Half Marathon for me

This will be my 1st half marathon ever and I thought doing this at Disney would be the best. Any tips would be great!!1
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connersarah1 View Post

This will be my 1st half marathon ever and I thought doing this at Disney would be the best. Any tips would be great!!1
You have made a good choice. I would find a "training program" and follow it. But don't stress out if you miss a day or two. Find a program that starts now and build miles slowly. I'm assuming you are a new run/walker. And have fun!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: