Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran
 
debbieandroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West TN
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
You can do it!! You have almost a year to train.

What is your strategy?

I have walked three Princesses. The first (2010) I trained to walk, the 2nd and 3rd I walked due to late fall injuries.

As long as you train to a 15 min mile, you will be fine. Also, I recommend putting no more than 3hrs as a finish time when you register so that you have a little bit of corral cushion. Make sure that your longest walk is at least 10-12 miles, and happens about 3-4 weeks before the race. It will help make sure that your feet are ready.

I'm a member/leader in the local Galloway training program here, and this will be my 3rd year with the program, so let me know if you need any help!!
You're so sweet - I need all the help I can get...still can't believe I'm doing this!

My strategy is as follows:

I just started keeping track of my miles/pace in January...with my short, squat legs and my short/squat body, I was only walking about 19-20 min per mile for 3-4 miles. Now, I can manage 16-18 min mile for 3-5 miles....so, some improvement but I definitely have a long way to go.

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May, my first 5K. I started the C2K program in February. I was doing the running but at such a slow pace and for a pretty short distance that I changed to doing more of the Galloway method. Right now, I am running/walking at 1:00/1:00 intervals for 3 miles...still super duper slow but a whole faster than I would be if I was sitting on the couch, right .

Whew...anywho...for the Princess, I hope to get to a base of 8 mile walks [once per week] and work steadily on getting my time down. I'll cross train by riding my bike and keeping up with the run/walk intervals.

There are two half-marathons in my city this fall - October and December. Both of them are walker friendly so I'm planning to sign up for those to get used to all of those people being around me. Also, in the fall, I'll be getting up to 10-12 mile walks [every two weeks] so hope to be ready for the Princess in February.

How does that sound? Please don't hesitate to give me some tips. And my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, especially during our horribly humid summer months - I really hope I can keep this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
ABSOLUTELY get the Race Retreat!! It was worth every penny!! I swear to goodness, it was so nice to get inside a nice warm tent in the morning cause it was cold out there at 3:00 AM!! And afterwards it was rainy and chilly, it was nice to be inside and in a beautiful place!!

The best part was the private port-a-potties, never waited for one, there were so many and so few of us using them, there was always one available, that right there is worth it when the rest of the potties have lines about 20 people deep

They had Tink and the fairies out for meet-and-greets before and after the race which was awesome!!

Also afterwards the breakfast was NICE I really wish I could have eaten more, but my tummy was a little flipped at that point lol! And the post-race coctail was nice too - they had 3 options: Bloody Mary, Mimosa and Hibiscus - I got the Hibiscus, it was a sweet drink and I really enjoyed it!

It was pricey - I think it was over $100?? I can't remember but it was definately worth it, and I would never dream of doing the Princess again without it lol!!

My only regret... I wish I would have taken more pictures in there lol!!!
You had me at 'private port-a-potties' - sign me up!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
debbieandroo is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
I have a couple questions
If you put a finish time of 3 hours, which corral would you be placed in?

What does your training look like with Galloway? I've been using the JG Easy 10k app on my phone, and I'm not sure that I am using it correctly. Right now I'm doing a 4 min run / 1 min walk interval, and running between 12-14 minute miles. I'm on week 8 of the app program.
3 hours will get you in E or F, or at least seemed to this year. You can also put down 2:46 (fastest you can put without proof of time) and you'll probably get D.

I am in the 12:30 Galloway pace group and I do 1:30 min run, 1 min walk. I do two short runs per week, usually 2-3 miles, at a 12-13 min pace (going to work on getting that closer to 11 this year!), then the long run at a 14-14:30 pace, adding time in for heat. I live in NC, so heat is a big factor in summer training and we trained sometimes as slow as 15-16 min miles when it got into the upper 80s before 9AM.

Last year I followed that exact formula from May - Nov, working up to long runs around 15-16 miles, and my PR at a Nov race was 2:44.

FWIW, I am a good 50-70 lbs overweight (was 215 at 5'8" for the race above), and I will be 37 this year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
You're so sweet - I need all the help I can get...still can't believe I'm doing this!

My strategy is as follows:

I just started keeping track of my miles/pace in January...with my short, squat legs and my short/squat body, I was only walking about 19-20 min per mile for 3-4 miles. Now, I can manage 16-18 min mile for 3-5 miles....so, some improvement but I definitely have a long way to go.

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May, my first 5K. I started the C2K program in February. I was doing the running but at such a slow pace and for a pretty short distance that I changed to doing more of the Galloway method. Right now, I am running/walking at 1:00/1:00 intervals for 3 miles...still super duper slow but a whole faster than I would be if I was sitting on the couch, right .

Whew...anywho...for the Princess, I hope to get to a base of 8 mile walks [once per week] and work steadily on getting my time down. I'll cross train by riding my bike and keeping up with the run/walk intervals.

There are two half-marathons in my city this fall - October and December. Both of them are walker friendly so I'm planning to sign up for those to get used to all of those people being around me. Also, in the fall, I'll be getting up to 10-12 mile walks [every two weeks] so hope to be ready for the Princess in February.

How does that sound? Please don't hesitate to give me some tips. And my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, especially during our horribly humid summer months - I really hope I can keep this up.
That sounds like a GREAT plan!! Good to get a few races in to get used to it and see how it feels.

1/1 is a good interval for your level, and if you like it I would stick with it. Galloway recommends 2 short run/walks and a long each week, and I have found that to be best for me as well.
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
french lady
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 193

Good evening,
This will be my first Princess but not my first half. I did the Donald in January 2010 in the freezing rain and I did the Wine and Dine last fall. I will be travelling solo for the race.

About the Race retreat, I must say that in January 2010, I was very pleased to be inside waiting for the start instead than outside in the rain. So as soon that it is available, I will register for the race retreat.

I am now training for a half at the end of May and did a 12k this morning on the bike trail. Last year, I've started running on the trail at the end of April because of all the snow. I must say, not a lot of snow this winter.
Diane
french lady is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting
 
MaMa3Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 995

I am in!! That was way to much fun!!! I think I will ask for the race retreat for Christmas this year. This was my first half and if the Lord blesses I want to do it again!!
__________________
Me DH DS15 DD13
DD11 Dd95 DD3:DS>

MaMa3Princess is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
VickiHD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysay View Post
Hi Princesses! I am in for Princess #3! I can't wait. Would LOVE to go for C2C, with the DL 1/2...we will see......

Happy Training......

Julie
You could do the Tinker Bell 1/2 in Jan and then the Princess and get your
C2C that way.
__________________
VickiHD is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran
 
CRUIZEN MAMMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 815

I'm in this will be my 2nd Princess! I ran the 2012 Princess just after comming off a 3 week rest due to injury so I'm hoping to run this one injury free and to beat last year's time. I'm also doing the 2012 Wine and Dine for the 1st time and am considering my first full in Jan 2013. Living in FL does have its advantanges.
__________________
1st Cruise-WONDER Nov.18-21,07
2nd DCL trip-MAGIC June 6-13,097Night Eastern
3rd DCL trip-WONDER Nov.21-23,2010
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
slp1650
Mouseketeer
 
slp1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
You're so sweet - I need all the help I can get...still can't believe I'm doing this!

My strategy is as follows:

I just started keeping track of my miles/pace in January...with my short, squat legs and my short/squat body, I was only walking about 19-20 min per mile for 3-4 miles. Now, I can manage 16-18 min mile for 3-5 miles....so, some improvement but I definitely have a long way to go.

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May, my first 5K. I started the C2K program in February. I was doing the running but at such a slow pace and for a pretty short distance that I changed to doing more of the Galloway method. Right now, I am running/walking at 1:00/1:00 intervals for 3 miles...still super duper slow but a whole faster than I would be if I was sitting on the couch, right .

Whew...anywho...for the Princess, I hope to get to a base of 8 mile walks [once per week] and work steadily on getting my time down. I'll cross train by riding my bike and keeping up with the run/walk intervals.

There are two half-marathons in my city this fall - October and December. Both of them are walker friendly so I'm planning to sign up for those to get used to all of those people being around me. Also, in the fall, I'll be getting up to 10-12 mile walks [every two weeks] so hope to be ready for the Princess in February.

How does that sound? Please don't hesitate to give me some tips. And my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, especially during our horribly humid summer months - I really hope I can keep this up.
You have a great plan set up, and if you keep to it, I'm sure you'll be able to do the Princess. Your plan about getting some smaller races in to get used to people is a great idea, and one I should have done before my first half. I was somewhat used to crowds because of triathlons, but not to the level that are at the Disney races.

As for some advice... you'll probably hit some walls and have days or weeks you really don't want to train (especially in the really humid summer), but just try to find some good times and remember why you're training. You can also take some time off, especially since you're starting your training now. If you get frustrated just breathe and take some time off then hit your training with renewed enthusiasm.
__________________
slp1650 is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
rizzobob
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61

Hi Everybody!

I will be going to the Princess. I'll be with a group of about 15 people. We all met online in a weight loss group and are all meeting at the Princess.

I have finished two half marathons. My first was the Wine & Dine 2011. I also did the Rock n Roll New Orleans in March 2012. I am also doing Expedition Everest with my husband (his first race ever - I am so excited about that!). I hope to do ToT and Wine & Dine again this year also. I'm addicted to Disney races now...

I ran both races with JG. I love his program! I look forward to meeting you all!

Michele
rizzobob is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,209

I am so glad I found this. I am doing the Princess 1/2 and I can't wait. I miss running so much. 6 years ago I ruptured my Achilles tendon and had to have it repaired at 26, then I had 2 kids and now I want to get back into training and running. I miss it! This will be my first 1/2!

I have read everything I can about the race and can't wait for registration. The race retreat sounds amazing, when can you sign up for that? Now, to get training and convince my SIL to do this with me since DH said he would fly down but he is not happy with getting up so early! I love him but when he said "can't you buy the medal on ebay and sleep in" I knew I was going to have to find a new support group!
WsPrincess is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran
 
debbieandroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West TN
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp1650 View Post
You have a great plan set up, and if you keep to it, I'm sure you'll be able to do the Princess. Your plan about getting some smaller races in to get used to people is a great idea, and one I should have done before my first half. I was somewhat used to crowds because of triathlons, but not to the level that are at the Disney races.

As for some advice... you'll probably hit some walls and have days or weeks you really don't want to train (especially in the really humid summer), but just try to find some good times and remember why you're training. You can also take some time off, especially since you're starting your training now. If you get frustrated just breathe and take some time off then hit your training with renewed enthusiasm.
Wow, triathlons

Thank you for your advice and that is good to know that I can rest during the summer if I get burned out [pun intended]. Our winter and spring have been so mild that I have loved getting out. But I detest heat and humidity and know it will be much more difficult to get motivated to walk during that time.
I definitely may scale down to fewer miles if I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Right now, I get discouraged that the pacing isn't decreasing fast enough but, I've only been training since January - need to cut myself some slack!

What a fun thread this will be!!! I'm so excited to read everyone's back story and share in the trials and triumphs of getting ready for this.
__________________
debbieandroo is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
ColleenG
DIS Veteran
 
ColleenG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,474

Count me in! I did my first half and first Princess this year. I can't wait to do it again next year! A friend and my sister said tehy would do it too so I'm hoping to make it a girls weekend and leave the kids and DH at home! They were such a buzz kill this year.
__________________
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #27
slp1650
Mouseketeer
 
slp1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
Wow, triathlons

Thank you for your advice and that is good to know that I can rest during the summer if I get burned out [pun intended]. Our winter and spring have been so mild that I have loved getting out. But I detest heat and humidity and know it will be much more difficult to get motivated to walk during that time.
I definitely may scale down to fewer miles if I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Right now, I get discouraged that the pacing isn't decreasing fast enough but, I've only been training since January - need to cut myself some slack!

What a fun thread this will be!!! I'm so excited to read everyone's back story and share in the trials and triumphs of getting ready for this.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also training for my first full marathon, which will be Disney's Marathon Weekend in January. I've already hit my training pretty hard (my longest run thus far is 7 miles), but I was doing that because I can and I know once the humidity sets in I probably won't get in too many long runs.

But yes definitely don't force yourself to train too hard right now. You have enough time still. Now, if we're having this conversation in December, that advice might change.

Good luck!
__________________
slp1650 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran
 
TinyDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
ABSOLUTELY get the Race Retreat!! It was worth every penny!! I swear to goodness, it was so nice to get inside a nice warm tent in the morning cause it was cold out there at 3:00 AM!! And afterwards it was rainy and chilly, it was nice to be inside and in a beautiful place!!

The best part was the private port-a-potties, never waited for one, there were so many and so few of us using them, there was always one available, that right there is worth it when the rest of the potties have lines about 20 people deep

They had Tink and the fairies out for meet-and-greets before and after the race which was awesome!!

Also afterwards the breakfast was NICE I really wish I could have eaten more, but my tummy was a little flipped at that point lol! And the post-race coctail was nice too - they had 3 options: Bloody Mary, Mimosa and Hibiscus - I got the Hibiscus, it was a sweet drink and I really enjoyed it!

It was pricey - I think it was over $100?? I can't remember but it was definately worth it, and I would never dream of doing the Princess again without it lol!!

My only regret... I wish I would have taken more pictures in there lol!!!
This sounds AWESOME and exactly the info that I wanted! THank you!! I'll be doing the race retreat for sure!
__________________
TinyDancer is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #29
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran
 
tinkeramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. GA
Posts: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
I'm hoping to make it a girls weekend and leave the kids and DH at home! They were such a buzz kill this year.
This cracks me up! I went with girlfriends for Princess 2011 and 2012 and let me tell you, it's the way to go! I have 3 kids and it was a joy and a delight to leave for the parks with a purse the size of an envelope! No snacks for everyone, no changes of clothes, no first aid items, no things to keep them entertained in line.
__________________
Amy
www.momsmagicalmiles.blogspot.com




July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
tinkeramy is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran
 
TinyDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
As far as I know, I'm in for next year! Julie & I are already encouraging a brand new runner friend who has her goal as next year's Princess, and we have another friend who is really wanting to do it, too. Have already started the fund! I was such a mess in Februrary, stressing out about funding the weekend that I resolved to start saving NOW and have a great surplus of "fun" money. If y'all have any budget questions, I did a blog post on how much the weekend cost me - you can maybe get a ballpark of what you need to set aside. Blog address is in the signature. I'm determined to have a great time, eat, drink, shop & be merry, all without extreme guilt over how much it's costing my family!
I will check it out for sure! I am going to Disney with my family in October.. so my $$ is going there for now.. but immediately afterwards I'm going to start saving for February!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Count me in! I did my first half and first Princess this year. I can't wait to do it again next year! A friend and my sister said tehy would do it too so I'm hoping to make it a girls weekend and leave the kids and DH at home! They were such a buzz kill this year.
No kids or husbands going here either!! Well.. I may take my baby (she is 5 months right now) but we'll see. It all depends on if I have someone to keep her during the race.


Does everyone usually fly in on Friday?
Where are your favorite resorts to stay in?
__________________
TinyDancer is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: