Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #676
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreelancer View Post
Have you tried using compression socks or sleeves? My wife had problems with calf cramps and the compression sleeves helped. Also, are you using any type of electrolytes during your run? An electrolyte imbalance can also cause calf problems.
Actually, I was wearing compression socks when my calf seized on Saturday, so yes, I know all about them. I don't think it's electrolytes. Not at 6 miles.

What I didn't report was that AFTER my December 15 run, as I was walking back to my car, I rolled my left ankle and rolled into a culvert (and picked up all sorts of dirt and dried grass clippings on my sweaty body and running clothes). Then I managed to walk right through someone's dumped-out charcoal grill (coals were cold), and covered my sweaty shoes and socks with ashes. I was soooo glad I was done with the 10 mile run before all this tar and feathering started.

But I think in the aftermath, while my ankle didn't hurt to run, I started to feel my calf tweak after that during short runs. I think I might have changed my running gait just enough to put different pressure on my calf muscles. Thus, the strain. I'm gonna wear my boot (from my incident in 2011) for the rest of the week at work and totally imobilize the calf motion. Then I'll try the ellipitcal on Friday-ish and see how that feels. Might try a few miles early next week, and stretch as much as possible, but other than that, I think I'm done until the Tink. I'll just have to rely on my month-old 10 mile runs. I'm also hoping that the run/walk with my sister will make the whole event easier.

So sorry to hear about more illness. It's going around and everyone's immune systems are compromised with all the running. Kind of inevitable, I guess.

CALIFLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #677
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
In Texas!?! Are you serious!?! That's just plain wrong, I would need an air conditioned bubble around me if I was going to last that long over 100. Did it at least cool a bit in the evenings or mornings? I know I'm spoiled w/ the Cali weather but 88 days is just crazy talk.
Yep, the summer of 2011 was a bit crazy down here. I finally swapped over and did my running/training for the W&D Half that fall at 4am in the mornings. Coolest time of the days in Houston then. Usually hovered around 82 degrees at that hour in the morning, but no beating sun. And since I trained in the dark, I was prepared for the W&D Half run at night time!

CALIFLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #678
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2
Waaaahhhh

I'm sick. Just praying to get healthy gir the run now. Looks like I'm on a forced taper!
Sorry you are sick...the forced rest may be a good thing for race day though!

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #679
booth22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFLADY View Post
I don't think it's electrolytes. Not at 6 miles.

What I didn't report was that AFTER my December 15 run, as I was walking back to my car, I rolled my left ankle...

Could easily be electrolytes at 6 miles, but sine the minor detail about the ankle came to light, that is probably the real culprit Rest up!
booth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #680
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Waaaahhhh

I'm sick. Just praying to get healthy gir the run now. Looks like I'm on a forced taper!
Hope you feel better soon! Take lots of vitamin C and cold medicine.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #681
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Trying to figure out my outfit. Not really dressing up as character but have sparkle skirt. I'm used to dressing in long pants under skirt and a long sleeve shirt plus my coat as it is 30-40 for high and at least drizzle a lot.

How warm is it at 3 am in CA in January?
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #682
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75
Trying to figure out my outfit. Not really dressing up as character but have sparkle skirt. I'm used to dressing in long pants under skirt and a long sleeve shirt plus my coat as it is 30-40 for high and at least drizzle a lot.

I haven't started looking at the forecast yet, but last year I ran in compression capris and a short sleeved shirt. I wore home made arm warmers (that were actually knee socks) for the first few miles. I don't remember ever feeling too cold in that get-up.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #683
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Yesterday was projecting high 66 and low 44. Cloudy, no rain

I'll take it of it happens!

I'll probably wear throw away stuff at start. I'm a huge wimp so anything under 50 will be cold to me. But once I get started I should be fine in arm Warmers, short sleeve shirt, running skirt and compression socks.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #684
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

We are getting so close! My husband and I arrive at LAX on Thursday evening. I need to get my packing groove on. No costume for me, but I do have an old Tinkgreen running shirt I might wear. I did a training run in it and it worked out okay-no issues, I just don't like the shirt because the neck is so high.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for all who are suffering with colds and such. I am still having problems with my left leg and ankle and after a walk on the treadmill last night, I am leaning towards not doing anymore workouts and just getting to the starting line. That will be tough for me, but I think it is what I need to do.

Can anyone suggest a place to get a nice piece of grilled fish and some rice the night before the race? Off property is fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #685
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75 View Post
It's cold and we seem to be having a cold front moving in. It's still too soon to monitor race morning.

I'm packing a little of everything...thank goodness we are driving down the car is going to be full.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #686
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75 View Post

It'll probably be a little cold walking over and pre run, but for the race, I'm going in capris. For a top though, I'm bringing a long sleeve and a short sleeve w/ throw away tube socks as well. I also have some throw away gloves in case I need them. They have 2 pairs at Target on clearance for like $1.50 or so and in the $1 bins they might still have some of those disposable hand warmers packs. I'm bringing sweats to walk over and a garbage bag for in the corrals, b/c once you get running it'll warm up a little bit. And if I remember correctly, once we get out of the resort and the sun comes up, there's not much shade so the sun will be on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
Can anyone suggest a place to get a nice piece of grilled fish and some rice the night before the race? Off property is fine.
I'm not a fish person, but you could check out the menu for ESPN Zone in DTD and there are restaurants in the Garden Walk across from the resort. Never been so not sure about the menu, but there's a Bubba Gump's and a steak house there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
It's cold and we seem to be having a cold front moving in. It's still too soon to monitor race morning.
Soooo cold!!! This morning was perfect, but this week...brrrrr and I hvae one last run tomorrow. And it's in DL this weekend, I looked at Sunday and their low is 35 or 36. I've never seen it that cold down there before.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #687
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

I wanted to build a costume up for this race, but holy COW it has surely snuck up on us! Guess I will save my tutu making for the Princess half, and maybe just pick up a skirt at the expo... I've been falling in love more and more with those sparkle skirts . I'll take any excuse to go shopping.. I'm terrible!

I am feeling way under prepared for this race. I really wanted to finish in 2:15:00 but that goal is seeming a bit unachievable at this point. I've missed so many long runs! I'm blaming the holidays and getting sick a few weeks back .

I'm really looking forward to meeting the girls who are joining in for the dinner!! It'll be fun to get to know ya'll better and see friendly faces in the crowd . A little over a week away! Woo hoo!
bskelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #688
Cripey
DIS Veteran

you guys! check out runDisney's latest FB post!!!! I MUST HAVE A PAIR OF THOSE!!!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #689
zgirls
Mouseketeer

Seems like everyone is as excited as me for the upcoming Tink

I am costuming up, not going as tink but will be in fairy attire, wings and all. Also, for all my Disney runs, I dedicate them to my mom who was a huge Dis fan (especially Donald) and wear something for her - usually about finding a cure for some sort of cancer.

She had a cancer of unknown origin that spread to all of her bones. The first year she passed, I ran my first runDisney event, yep the Donald Half in DW.

As for the weather, 44 degrees is warmer than anything I have been running in the last 2 weeks. Yesterday it was 41 when I got to do my run but the forecast says it will be in the low 50s this weekend - I might cramp up from it being so hot.

I have been visualizing my run, twice now, and cannot decide how I will be running it. I am leaning towards running very easy, wearing a video camera and hoping to get some shots with the sun up. I ran in DW with a camera and started in an early corral so most of the run was in the dark - not the best for video taping. I also am hoping to get pics with some characters during the run. I got an awesome shot with Phineas and Ferb in DW.

Well keep on training and wash your hands to keep the flu away.

SSR Nov'07, Dec '08, Dec'09, July '10, Jan. '11, Dec'11, Nov'13, May '14, Aug'14

Wine & Dine 2013
Flower & Garden 2009, 2014
Marathon Weekend 2011
zgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #690
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Soooo cold!!! This morning was perfect, but this week...brrrrr and I hvae one last run tomorrow. And it's in DL this weekend, I looked at Sunday and their low is 35 or 36. I've never seen it that cold down there before.
I know !!!!! I don't remember last year being this bad. It's just too cold for me. At least you're heading out to sunny FL. I hope that Anaheim will start to warm up for us.

Have a fun trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: