Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #586
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Got through 8 miles today...1+ minute per mile faster than last week, so I'm happy about that. Still no where near where I could've been but, it's under the minimum pace, so I'll take it. BF started his taper this week in prep for his full in a couple of weeks...boy was he happy! We were lucky and were able to snag a couple of last minute massages a few hours after we finished our runs....felt sooooo nice . Hope everyone has good runs this weekend....we're so close!!!!
Yay! This gives me hope. I just caught a bug this weekend and I am scared to shake it in time and get back to my pace I was at. I've been slacking a little too with my long runs. I should be at 10 miles, but I've only gotten to 7. Definitely not as run down though from what you ended up getting a few weeks ago! I think it's just a head cold mostly that's moving into my chest. But awesome job on your training!
bskelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #587
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Wow! Folks are getting chatty here! I have been traveling and not very attentive here.

My ankle is pretty well healed and I did a 5k on 12/15 with a time consistent with my pre-injury time. I was happy to be "back". By 12/18, however, I developed a pinched nerve in my leg. So, I haven't been able to run at all. I am not going to stress about it. Pretty sure I will be able to get to the start if I keep resting my leg.

I am not sure about the meet for Friday since my husband has decided to join me for the trip. I will check with him and let you know.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #588
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Can't believe so soon. Terrified of getting swept but I'm going to do my very best. Does anyone have specifics on that
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #589
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Did 13.2 miles today at the track !!

Why is it the last couple of miles are always the hardest ??? I'm just glad it's done.

3 weeks to go now !!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #590
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Yay Vicki! Sounds like you are ready now!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #591
rosermama
DIS Veteran

I know somewhere (maybe this is a sign of belonging to many groups/threads) that someone mentioned a great place to get Italian I think in Long Beach, what's the name of that place?
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #592
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
Wow! Folks are getting chatty here! I have been traveling and not very attentive here.

My ankle is pretty well healed and I did a 5k on 12/15 with a time consistent with my pre-injury time. I was happy to be "back". By 12/18, however, I developed a pinched nerve in my leg. So, I haven't been able to run at all. I am not going to stress about it. Pretty sure I will be able to get to the start if I keep resting my leg.

I am not sure about the meet for Friday since my husband has decided to join me for the trip. I will check with him and let you know.
Great, hope you can join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Yay! This gives me hope. I just caught a bug this weekend and I am scared to shake it in time and get back to my pace I was at. I've been slacking a little too with my long runs. I should be at 10 miles, but I've only gotten to 7. Definitely not as run down though from what you ended up getting a few weeks ago! I think it's just a head cold mostly that's moving into my chest. But awesome job on your training!
Thanks...I hope you're feeling better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Did 13.2 miles today at the track !!

Why is it the last couple of miles are always the hardest ??? I'm just glad it's done.

3 weeks to go now !!!
Woo Hoo! You're ready!

I got busy yesterday shopping for lamp shades (WHY is that so HARD!?!) and didn't get around to putting my race shirt together...and only bought one of three shades that I need. Maybe today I can get it done...but I'll probably end up taking a nap this afternoon so I'm not snoozing at midnight Like clockwork, I start yawning uncontrollably around 9pm almost every day...New Year's Eve is always a battle for me. I hope everyone has a happy and safe new years eve tonight! It's looking like it's going to be a rainy one here.

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #593
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75 View Post
Can't believe so soon. Terrified of getting swept but I'm going to do my very best. Does anyone have specifics on that
You're very best is all you can do...I'm sure you're gonna do great! Not sure what specifcs you're looking for on the sweepers, maybe I can help. Sweepers will start after the very last runner crosses the start line and from there will maintain the 16 min per mile minimum pace. This means that the further you start ahead of the last person, the more of a cushion you have built in. I've read that there are certain sweeping spots and at those places there is a bus waiting and race officials will block the course at those points when the sweeper passes and anyone behind will unfortunately not be allowed to continue. I have also heard that the sweepers will sometimes give some verbal warnings...letting everyone around them know they are there and they need to pick it up a bit and stay in front of them. They are sometimes also called the "balloon lady"...I'm assuming because he/she wears baloons on them somewhere? However, don't confuse them with pacers...you may see some runners in the corrals or throughout the race course holding a stick with balloons on it and a time written on the balloon...like 2:45 or 3:00, etc...that's a pacer who you can stick with throughout the race if the time on their baloon is your goal time and they'll get you across the finish line in that time or less. So not all balloons indicate a sweeper! I believe that anyone picked up is bussed to the finish area and is still offered a medal. Try not to worry about it though...just run it the way you trained and have fun If you're concerned with being too slow and happen to be placed in the last corral, get there early enough and work your way up to the front of your corral...this will give you at least a few minutes cushion. Good Luck!

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #594
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
Maybe you can at least stop by and say hi.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #595
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
I know somewhere (maybe this is a sign of belonging to many groups/threads) that someone mentioned a great place to get Italian I think in Long Beach, what's the name of that place?
We were talking about a "mom and pop" restaurant called Marri's Pizza and Pasta. 1194 W. Katella Ave in Anaheim. Good food and they also deliver to hotel room. The location is nothing fancy in a little strip mall across from the street from the parking lot next to Paradise Pier. But they have really good food.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #596
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post

Woo Hoo! You're ready!

I got busy yesterday shopping for lamp shades (WHY is that so HARD!?!) and didn't get around to putting my race shirt together...and only bought one of three shades that I need. Maybe today I can get it done...but I'll probably end up taking a nap this afternoon so I'm not snoozing at midnight Like clockwork, I start yawning uncontrollably around 9pm almost every day...New Year's Eve is always a battle for me. I hope everyone has a happy and safe new years eve tonight! It's looking like it's going to be a rainy one here.
I think your right--mentally now I am ready !!!! My goal is to get much more sleep at night and try and avoid getting sick.

Good luck getting your lamp shades--it is hard to find the ones you want. I've also been searching without any luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #597
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Has anyone seen a link from Lasting Commemoratives for a free Tinkerbell poster like they offered for the Disneyland 1/2 and the Wine & Dine 1/2?

TIA
BlazerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #598
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Did a half today. Time not what wanted but as said all I can do is try in 20 days lol
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #599
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey

You're very best is all you can do...I'm sure you're gonna do great! Not sure what specifcs you're looking for on the sweepers, maybe I can help. Sweepers will start after the very last runner crosses the start line and from there will maintain the 16 min per mile minimum pace. This means that the further you start ahead of the last person, the more of a cushion you have built in. I've read that there are certain sweeping spots and at those places there is a bus waiting and race officials will block the course at those points when the sweeper passes and anyone behind will unfortunately not be allowed to continue. I have also heard that the sweepers will sometimes give some verbal warnings...letting everyone around them know they are there and they need to pick it up a bit and stay in front of them. They are sometimes also called the "balloon lady"...I'm assuming because he/she wears baloons on them somewhere? However, don't confuse them with pacers...you may see some runners in the corrals or throughout the race course holding a stick with balloons on it and a time written on the balloon...like 2:45 or 3:00, etc...that's a pacer who you can stick with throughout the race if the time on their baloon is your goal time and they'll get you across the finish line in that time or less. So not all balloons indicate a sweeper! I believe that anyone picked up is bussed to the finish area and is still offered a medal. Try not to worry about it though...just run it the way you trained and have fun If you're concerned with being too slow and happen to be placed in the last corral, get there early enough and work your way up to the front of your corral...this will give you at least a few minutes cushion. Good Luck!
This is super helpful, thanks! Any tips on working your way up in the last corral? I have no times so I'm definitely in E.
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #600
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
This is super helpful, thanks! Any tips on working your way up in the last corral? I have no times so I'm definitely in E.
Getting to your corral early will help you be able to get to the "front" easier. People just kind of fill in and you can work your way to the front.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: