Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #331
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Maybe some of us can meet up on Friday for dinner!
Count me in for that too!

Quote:
I may roam DL for a bit later that afternoon, but I promised I wouldn't go into DCA for a sneak peek until BF arrives...that's gonna be hard!!
I did that this year during the DL race. I wanted to wait until the 5k Sat. morning b/c that's where the finish was. So hard, but totally worth it. A tip though for going into Cars Land the 1st time though ~ go in the back way from Pacific Wharf where the food area is. You come in right where Radiator Springs is racing and all the rock work, it's so beautiful! It's a way bigger impact than down Rte. 66, although that's not bad either. And make sure you see it at night, so pretty.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #332
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post

I did that this year during the DL race. I wanted to wait until the 5k Sat. morning b/c that's where the finish was. So hard, but totally worth it. A tip though for going into Cars Land the 1st time though ~ go in the back way from Pacific Wharf where the food area is. You come in right where Radiator Springs is racing and all the rock work, it's so beautiful! It's a way bigger impact than down Rte. 66, although that's not bad either. And make sure you see it at night, so pretty.
thanks for the tips, I'll definitely have to remember that!

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #333
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

My wife and I just registered as volunteers. I won't run this race because it is a week after the WDW marathon and I might be a bit worn out. See ya real soon!

Rick
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #334
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Kim,

Good luck on your race tomorrow in the city !!!! It should be good weather for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #335
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Kim,

Good luck on your race tomorrow in the city !!!! It should be good weather for you.
It was great weather! Thick fog and sometimes mist the entire way. Kinda felt bad for the out of towners, b/c you couldn't see Alcatraz or even the bridge. I heard 1 of the girls on the bus back talking about how she saw some girls stop to take a pic and it must have been the bridge. The entire thing was covered, you could only see a little on the base near the water. Necklace is pretty and so was the fireman who gave it to me. Now to recover for my big 14 this weekend.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #336
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was great weather! Thick fog and sometimes mist the entire way. Kinda felt bad for the out of towners, b/c you couldn't see Alcatraz or even the bridge. I heard 1 of the girls on the bus back talking about how she saw some girls stop to take a pic and it must have been the bridge. The entire thing was covered, you could only see a little on the base near the water. Necklace is pretty and so was the fireman who gave it to me. Now to recover for my big 14 this weekend.
Congrats !!!

I'm sure you would love the firemen at the station up the hill from us.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #337
pigletliz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi Kim,

Definitely not the weather I was expecting, so it was a good thing I packed an extra sweatshirt. I'm not sure I paid any attention to the fireman. My focus was on the pretty blue box and getting to the finisher's boutique before they ran out of the good stuff.
pigletliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #338
Reep
Mouseketeer

I'm in

Well, my DW signed up for this for her first half marathon. At the time she sounded like she wanted to run it solo. But, more recently I found out she wasn't being honest about that so . . . I signed up via HSUBU (Reggo?) where you had to buy a park ticket too. I hope it is legit. It was on the RunDisney sight.

Anyway, it should be fun. I'm not going to tell her until the last minute. She wanted the two of us go go alone anyway (sans kids). I was going to get up with her at 0 dawn hundred anyway. I'll see how long I can keep it a secret.

The toughest part is I get to be an early coast to coaster as I will have just finished Goofy the weekend before.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #339
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
The toughest part is I get to be an early coast to coaster as I will have just finished Goofy the weekend before.
What's your plan from Mon to Sat that week? I know it's still ways away, but I'm trying to figure it out so I have a plan. I'm in WDW until Wed morning, so I'll be walking Sun-Tues to get my legs going. Was toying w/ a 3 miler or so Tues morning and maybe 6(?) on Thurs morning. I'm bringing my foam roller and yoga mat down there so I can strect each morning/night pre/post park, but not really sure about running that week. Should I try to schedule a massage or would that be too close to Tink?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #340
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What's your plan from Mon to Sat that week? I know it's still ways away, but I'm trying to figure it out so I have a plan. I'm in WDW until Wed morning, so I'll be walking Sun-Tues to get my legs going. Was toying w/ a 3 miler or so Tues morning and maybe 6(?) on Thurs morning. I'm bringing my foam roller and yoga mat down there so I can strect each morning/night pre/post park, but not really sure about running that week. Should I try to schedule a massage or would that be too close to Tink?
My thoughts on the massage part FWIW...I always get a massage on the thursday evening prior to a sunday morning race...but I make sure they know that I have a race in a few days and not to go too deep or too firm so I'm not really sore afterwards...I normally will get another ASAP when I get back home from the race/trip. Last year when I did the DL half, my BF set up in-room massages at our hotel for that same afternoon from an outside company in the area...the person I was with was a sports masseuse and it was glorious! It was part of a b-day gift, so I couldn't tell you how much something like that runs, but it felt amazing!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #341
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've never done this before, but my preliminary thoughts are this.

Mon: post race massage; walk MK and Hollywood studios.
Tue: fly back to CA
W: jog 3 miles if able; possible 2nd massage
Th: run 3-5 miles
Fri: run 3 miles
Sa: hang out and rest or jog 2 miles

I will be running with my wife, so my pace will be about half(double) what I normally run. This is good and bad. I think it will be tough to be out there for 2.5 hours and not in my normal stride. I'm just hoping to keep loose on the days between the races. Mileage at that point really shouldn't matter at all, it's all about keeping the muscles as loose as possible. That is why I will probably do multiple 3-mile runs. Lots of icing if my joints hurt. I will also probably try to wear compression clothing from Sunday through at least Wednesday.

Massage: I would normally not get a massage within one week of racing (I don't get them that often anyway), but given that my biggest issue will likely be muscle fatigue/repair and lactic acid build up from the Goofy races, I think a massage early in the week will help me get through the Tink.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #342
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My thoughts on the massage part FWIW...I always get a massage on the thursday evening prior to a sunday morning race...but I make sure they know that I have a race in a few days and not to go too deep or too firm so I'm not really sore afterwards...I normally will get another ASAP when I get back home from the race/trip. Last year when I did the DL half, my BF set up in-room massages at our hotel for that same afternoon from an outside company in the area...the person I was with was a sports masseuse and it was glorious! It was part of a b-day gift, so I couldn't tell you how much something like that runs, but it felt amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I've never done this before, but my preliminary thoughts are this.

Mon: post race massage; walk MK and Hollywood studios.
Tue: fly back to CA
W: jog 3 miles if able; possible 2nd massage
Th: run 3-5 miles
Fri: run 3 miles
Sa: hang out and rest or jog 2 miles

I will be running with my wife, so my pace will be about half(double) what I normally run. This is good and bad. I think it will be tough to be out there for 2.5 hours and not in my normal stride. I'm just hoping to keep loose on the days between the races. Mileage at that point really shouldn't matter at all, it's all about keeping the muscles as loose as possible. That is why I will probably do multiple 3-mile runs. Lots of icing if my joints hurt. I will also probably try to wear compression clothing from Sunday through at least Wednesday.

Massage: I would normally not get a massage within one week of racing (I don't get them that often anyway), but given that my biggest issue will likely be muscle fatigue/repair and lactic acid build up from the Goofy races, I think a massage early in the week will help me get through the Tink.
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. My worry is keeping the muscles loose too. Good idea on the compression gear throughout the week. Maybe I'll pick up an extra pair of socks when I get some this weekend. Don't really care about time in Tink that much, more of just being able to finish. What do you think about using protein powder after Goofy and through Tues or so to help the muscle repair? Think that would be too much?

As for a massage in WDW, I know there's a spa at the GF, but thought I read somewhere that's closed until next year (not 100% on that one though). If you're staying on-site, is there another resort that offers massages?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #343
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What do you think about using protein powder after Goofy and through Tues or so to help the muscle repair? Think that would be too much?

As for a massage in WDW, I know there's a spa at the GF, but thought I read somewhere that's closed until next year (not 100% on that one though). If you're staying on-site, is there another resort that offers massages?
I think getting a normal amount of protein is good. Powder is fine, I'll probably have chicken or fish that week.

Thanks for the heads up on the spa. I'll check into that. I wanted to get a massage before the flight, but maybe I'll just have to roll.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #344
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. My worry is keeping the muscles loose too. Good idea on the compression gear throughout the week. Maybe I'll pick up an extra pair of socks when I get some this weekend. Don't really care about time in Tink that much, more of just being able to finish. What do you think about using protein powder after Goofy and through Tues or so to help the muscle repair? Think that would be too much?

Right spa at GF is closed due to construction. There is a full spa at Saratoga Springs. I have has massage at AKL too but it is not a full 'day spa'...was 6 or 7 years ago so that very well could have changed by now. I thought I had read CoronadoSprings had the same type of set up bit not really sure...something to check into though.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #345
cryssi
Kabocha
Looking for the scripty one
I want to experiment with fondant flowers
Long live the white walls!!
I need the extra oomph

I'm planning on wearing compression after Donald and after Mickey, and on the plane home on Monday. Hopefully a shake out 3 miles on Wednesday, and then I think that might be it. If I can squeeze in a couple miles on Friday, that would be awesome, but I'm not going to count on it...lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: