Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
You really should go back and have that error fixed. That error might just cause that poor girl her job. Do you really want to be responsible for that?
On the flip side- the store probably didn't know something was undercharged, if OP goes back now they may be getting the cashier in trouble! This is a tough one!

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Well I know I'll be asking for receipts from now on. I never even thought of how many errors there could be on my card.

Although, at the cupcake place today, I paid cash, so I know that was right, even though I didn't get the receipt.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Yes. It can cost her her job. Most cashiers are given a leeway of plus or minus $2. After that you can and will be fired. It is thought to be theft.
I think it really depends on company policy, so saying "most" cashiers isn't really accurate.

OP, I wouldn't go back either but I'd call them to let them know.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
aclov
DIS Veteran

My boyfriend was charged $65 at Wendy's instead of $6.50! Luckily he caught it as the cashier didn't, than he had to be given the difference in cash because they couldn't reverse it out. Mistakes do happen!

As for the cashier getting in trouble it will depend on the store's policy. My mom worked at WalMart and had to be within a couple dollars difference or they would get in trouble. They were strict on everything, including accepting expired coupons!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I would go back. I couldn't live with myself.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I had one go the other way once... instead of 18.79 for the pho soup we had, he charged my visa $187.90! Fortunately I was paying attention, but then HE didn't know how to charge it back to my card. Called his boss who tried to explain to him over the phone, then said he'd drive in and for me to wait... then he called back and just told the guy to give me cash. Ugh - I can't bring myself to go back, even though it's the only pho joint in town!
This happened to me and they store manager told me I would have to wait up to 30 days to have my account credited back for the $100 overcharge!

Last edited by Pooh2; 03-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Yes. It can cost her her job. Most cashiers are given a leeway of plus or minus $2. After that you can and will be fired. It is thought to be theft.

you must have worked for some pretty crappy employers.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
Madison'smommy
Mouseketeer

Eh, by now I probably wouldnt worry about it. I would have had them fix it if I realized while I was at the store, but I would not drive back. And really... people acting like they couldnt live with themselves .... a little extreme for me.
Madison'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
leebee
DIS Veteran

The cashier isn't going to lose her job over this. Actually, there's no way for the store to really tell what happened (NOT that this makes it right, just true). The beer was swiped, the card was swiped, and the register recorded and accepted $0.98 as the cost of the sale. It's not the same thing as if the cashier charged you $9.80, you gave her $10 in cash, and she gave you $9.02 in change. In this instance, the cashier's drawer would be short when compared to the detail tape... but in the OP's situation, it all occurred electronically. The record for the day would show $0.98 charged, $0.98 paid. FWIW, I wouldn't go back, either. Not worth the time or effort, especially as I am 99% sure the store would say, "Ooops, our mistake. Keep the beer." And yes, I'd sleep just fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Would I have told the cashier had I noticed the problem while I was at the store? Definitely.

Would I try to deal with it a week later? Nope. But I probably wouldn't come post about it on this board either
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
ChisJo
Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come true!

I have a problem believing that the cashier got fired for this. As stated, the beer was scanned, the card was swiped, the transaction occurred.
Her till would've balanced....if the total charged for the beer was $.98 and that's what you paid, she did nothing wrong and shouldn't get fired over that.

ChisJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
arthur06
DDC #689

I used to work at a place where there policy was "if the shelf price and the scanned price don't agree, you get the item for free". They took pride in making sure that prices were what the shelf said.

The store is in business to make money. They are responsible that the items they sell are priced accurately. In your situation, I would not go back.

I have had times where I might have received a sack of another customers groceries in my cart. In that situation, I always go back.

Don't feel bad about paying 98 cents for your beer. The store will process hundreds/thousands of transactions per day, and it is there responsibility that they are accurate.

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

I don't really get the people that are saying to go back almost a week later because the poor cashier might lose her job. If the store is keeping cashiers that accountable, and she actually made a mistake entering a value manually into the credit card machine (the only way a discrepancy would come up vs the cash register total), then wouldn't they have discovered that by now and already fired her?

I get the karma argument - don't agree with it, but I get it. But I honestly don't see how going back at this point would save anyone their job.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison'smommy View Post
Eh, by now I probably wouldnt worry about it. I would have had them fix it if I realized while I was at the store, but I would not drive back. And really... people acting like they couldnt live with themselves .... a little extreme for me.
LOL and ITA. I'm not wasting time and gas money to correct a mistake that I didn't make. If anything, I'd give $9 to charity to assuage any guilt.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #30
MineMail
DIS Veteran

Just to clarify: the OP said the credit card was swiped and the girl typed in the wrong amount. She never said the beer itself was swiped, so it's not a pricing error in their system, so the "right price or free" policies are irrelevant. Most small businesses don't have the credit card system integrated with their registers, so the clerk has to ring up the sale as a credit payment, then manually put through the charge on a separate terminal.

The knowledgeable people who are saying the kid's going to come up short on her drawer are probably correct. The girl rang up the $9 on the register, which is how she knew what the total was, but then charged 90¢ on the credit card terminal. As a result, she will come up short at the end of the shift when they reconcile the credit batch against her drawer's credit payments.

Many small retailers will dock or terminate an employee who makes a mistake like this, especially if it's been an ongoing issue. Reliability is critical and fraud is real.

The OP should check her credit card statement again because it is possible that the error was reversed and the correct amount recharged after they identified the error.

Ethically, it's up to you as to whether you think you got a bargain or you took advantage of someone's error. I think it's the latter and I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it. The OP made the point of saying she posted this because of always checking receipts, but she also said she "didn't feel like" making good on it. I would.

Last edited by MineMail; 03-23-2012 at 01:36 AM.
MineMail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: