Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
clm10308
DIS Veteran

I forgot to add to my PP

How did he do on his old goals and objectves? If he mastered them all in his current placement, then the schools have nothing to support a more restrictive placement at this time.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Yes, you need to get an advocate ASAP.

A 15:1:1 in NYS is 15 students, 1 special education teacher and 1 aide. As PP has stated, the district needs to prove that they tried a less restricitive placement, what they did for your son in that placement to help him be a success, etc., all before they can recommend a self-contained classroom such as a 15:1:1.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

So I spoke with an advocate today and it will cost $775 for her to help me, is this the going rate for advocates? Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice it means so much to me. I feel that even when the district could help they dropped the ball. (1) Last year when I asked the principal to modify ds math program to work on basics...Was told NO can't be done. However this year speaking up at a SEPTA meeting,the head of special head was able to have the teachers modify ds math program! (2) I found out online this year about touch math and told the school,they owned the program and NO one thought to try it with my ds.It is helping ds and I am frustrated that they did not try it without me asking (3) DS scored at a level 1 on the state test in math and was to start AIS services in September, he started TWO WEEKS AGO!!!! The state test for this year is in two weeks!!!!!! So even when he qualified for extra help the district dropped the ballThese are some of the points I want to stress at his next meeting.Because it does not seem to matter to the district that my child knows how to do basic math.I just want my ds to be able to handle money and tell time.Thanks for listening and wish me luck
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
blondietink
DIS Veteran

$775.00!!!! YIKES!!!! Around here they are free as they are part of not-for-profit agencies that get federal/state funding for such. I suggest you look at your local ARC or other not-for-profit agency that serves people with developmental disabilities to see if they have a department that employs advocates or somebody who could be an educational advocate. Many times they are found in the Family Support Services Department.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
LMC
aka 3senuf
I love my sorcerer mickey "dangler"

As soon as they violated the IEP you should have sent a certified letter notifying them of that and asked what they were going to do to remedy the situation. I have been in your shoes and sadly it will probably take an attorney. Yes I have heard (after 2 detailed neuro psyc evals with recommendations) no we can't or no we don't do that many times.
They used to not even give you a copy of the draft IEP here and one time they CHANGED the draft when I received the final. I started tape recording our meeting from that point forward. And, I don't leave without a copy, even if it is a draft.

I did get an attorney for my son when their testing showed he regressed two years. She looked at the paper work and took the case and the school dist paid all her expenses in our settlement. It was not pretty at the time but I got what my son needed and now he is doing VERY well.

I can not believe the improvement and I would have never invisioned it three years ago. You need to ask around with other parents and find an attorney that is good, and honest. Mine only takes cases she knows she will win and told me that up front so when she took us on I knew the school was in the wrong and I knew I would have them pay her fees. So I was not worried about the money. It was so aggregious they did not want to go in front of a judge so if you document the violations, follow up with letters and get no remedy, you should be able to get help and prove your case that they are not providing services.

Do not sign a new IEP until YOU are happy with it. The old IEP stays in effect until a new one is signed. I think there is a time limit to having a new IEP in place too so you need to find that out and when that time limit passes, follow up with a letter. DO NOT sign an IEP you do not agree with. They can not force you to sign it so do no sign it. I can't say that enough!

Good luck, I feel for you. I just had our last IEP meeting last week (my son will be a senior) and I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Is there anything else we need to do, are your sure, can you think of anything else he needs, you are happy with this". Night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
So I spoke with an advocate today and it will cost $775 for her to help me, is this the going rate for advocates? Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice it means so much to me. I feel that even when the district could help they dropped the ball. (1) Last year when I asked the principal to modify ds math program to work on basics...Was told NO can't be done. However this year speaking up at a SEPTA meeting,the head of special head was able to have the teachers modify ds math program! (2) I found out online this year about touch math and told the school,they owned the program and NO one thought to try it with my ds.It is helping ds and I am frustrated that they did not try it without me asking (3) DS scored at a level 1 on the state test in math and was to start AIS services in September, he started TWO WEEKS AGO!!!! The state test for this year is in two weeks!!!!!! So even when he qualified for extra help the district dropped the ballThese are some of the points I want to stress at his next meeting.Because it does not seem to matter to the district that my child knows how to do basic math.I just want my ds to be able to handle money and tell time.Thanks for listening and wish me luck
LMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
$775.00!!!! YIKES!!!! Around here they are free as they are part of not-for-profit agencies that get federal/state funding for such. I suggest you look at your local ARC or other not-for-profit agency that serves people with developmental disabilities to see if they have a department that employs advocates or somebody who could be an educational advocate. Many times they are found in the Family Support Services Department.
Advocates are free in most states. I have never heard of paying for an advocate.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Here is the link to the Center for your area that is funded by IDEA to supply information and advocacy

http://www.advocacycenter.com/
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
carrie6466
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
Does that include review of all the previous paperwork? I know the one we used charges $500 to go to a CSE meeting. The agency has people that review the paperwork and you pay by the hour for that. They do it just prior to your meeting. They also will either go to court with you or help you get a lawyer, if you need one. It didn't actually come to that when we used them, though.

I have yet to find one agency on Long Island that does not charge fees. The school district apparently has some that they 'recommend' that are supposedly free. I'll pass on that.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your support and advice.The non-profit advocate center is who gave me the name of the advocate who charges $775.If I need an advocate to read all the reports and come to the CSE meeting with me this is what I will be charged.I did call another advocacy center and they said as a PP said to send a certified letter to the chairperson of my childs CSE meeting and have them explain to me in writing what they are willing to do and not do.I just feel like we have tried it their way for the past 3 years, why not try it my way.
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: