Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #4051
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

I'm trying a pool running class tonight for the first time. I'm hoping it is a good piece to add to my training and possibly even substitute it for one of my midweek runs. I think my bad knee would appreciate a little less pounding as we get into the home stretch for the marathon.

My 20-miler will be at my parents' house - on a [small] mountain! Not sure where to find enough miles and not feel like I'm hiking. I'll plan a route as we get closer. It will be Dec. 23rd for me.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #4052
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Question about picking up someone else's race packet-how does it work for the Goofy? I remember hearing that Goofy runners get a wristband, if I am picking up my coach's packet, what about the wristband? Will they give it to me or does he have to go to the expo at some point to get it? We are getting in on Thurs early and going to the expo to get all the packets. My coach will not arrive until later that day and he is running the 5k the next day, hence the reason for me getting his packet.

Any insight appreciated.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #4053
guava
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Howdy! It's good to see you guys running along with your training schedules. Sorry to hear about the tough weekend many of you had, but you all gave it your all!

Guess what? I got to run for 5 minutes today! In case you can't remember who I am, I sprained my ankle a little over 3 weeks ago and have been sidelined pretty much since then (I'm training for my first marathon and my longest run was 17 miles about a month ago). I've been working with a Physical Therapist and he let me try the treadmill today to see how I"m doing. He said my form looked good so he wanted me to try outdoors tomorrow. He said no more than 4-5 minutes at a time and to do it on even ground. I am so excited!!!! I can't wait until tomorrow! How dorky is that? You should have seen my big goofy smile as I ran on the treadmill (which i usually hate) but I was so thankful to be running. It made me smile big! I hope healing continues to go well and I can get back to training soon! You guys will have to help me figure out a modified Galloway schedule. Thanks!
Awesome! I totally understand your excitement! That was me three weeks ago. Just follow your doctor's recomendations and you'll be back to where you want to be sooner than you think.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4054
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
Question about picking up someone else's race packet-how does it work for the Goofy? I remember hearing that Goofy runners get a wristband, if I am picking up my coach's packet, what about the wristband? Will they give it to me or does he have to go to the expo at some point to get it?
They don't do wristbands for Goofy anymore, sadly. It's all done through electronic records now. It was kind of fun to have the wristband on when walking around on Saturday and get the knowing smile and head nod from others wearing one too.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #4055
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH
Question about picking up someone else's race packet-how does it work for the Goofy? I remember hearing that Goofy runners get a wristband, if I am picking up my coach's packet, what about the wristband? Will they give it to me or does he have to go to the expo at some point to get it? We are getting in on Thurs early and going to the expo to get all the packets. My coach will not arrive until later that day and he is running the 5k the next day, hence the reason for me getting his packet.

Any insight appreciated.
Just to add to what FFigawi said, they give Goofy runners one bib that has to be worn both days...last year the half bib was blue, the full bib was red and Goofy was orange, so that's how the Goofy runners are differentiated. You will just need to walk the bib over the timing mat to activate the b-tag, and make sure you have a copy of his ID, his signed waiver and the form authorizing you to pick it up for him..
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #4056
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
I just realized that the Galloway 1/2 plan has me doing 12.5 on 12/8, then 14 on 12/22. Is it silly that I don't want to do more than the 12.5 since I want my first "13.1" to be at Disney? Is it going to make that much of a difference for me to do 12.5 again on 12/22 and not 14?
NO WAY! Not silly at all! I did the same thing for the Princess. I wanted the first time I hit that distance to be at the half marathon. I did 12.5 for my final long run 3 weeks before the half!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4057
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
I have! The 2012 WDW Full Marathon. I'm using the same plan to train for Goofy. And I didn't get my 20-miler in due to an ice storm, so I topped out at 18 and still finished.
Thanks for your response! That makes me feel so much better. It's been very hard to get my runs in so I am going to need to drop down in mileage and I think this plan could help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sfriend View Post
If you read his book, he'll tell you a half a million people have successfully used his plan to cross the finish line of a marathon. I'm using the plan, with a few modifications for my schedule. It is better to approach the starting line slightly undertrained, than overtrained and injured. Trust the experts.
Thanks for replying. I just can't get over that mental part of those 6 miles!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #4058
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Thanks for replying. I just can't get over that mental part of those 6 miles!
That's why they say the second half of the marathon begins at mile 20.

This is the point in the race where you need to be mentally strong, to trust in yourself and your training, and know that you are, in fact, fully prepared and able to get through those last few miles. I find it helps newer runners to break the race into three pieces. First comes a nice and easy 10 miles, the part spent warming up and getting settled into a groove. Then comes a solid and steady 10 miles - you're at your steady pace, you're feeling strong. Last part is just a 10K. After dozens of training runs with double-digit mileage, a 10K is nothing. Looking at it this way helps avoid thinking that you'll never get through those last six miles.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #4059
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just to add to what FFigawi said, they give Goofy runners one bib that has to be worn both days...last year the half bib was blue, the full bib was red and Goofy was orange, so that's how the Goofy runners are differentiated. You will just need to walk the bib over the timing mat to activate the b-tag, and make sure you have a copy of his ID, his signed waiver and the form authorizing you to pick it up for him..
That's a bummer. I hope the Disney bibs are more resilient than I recall - I have been known to destroy race bibs accidentally on a half marathon.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #4060
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
They don't do wristbands for Goofy anymore, sadly. It's all done through electronic records now. It was kind of fun to have the wristband on when walking around on Saturday and get the knowing smile and head nod from others wearing one too.
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! That will make life much easier for us.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #4061
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is the point in the race where you need to be mentally strong, to trust in yourself and your training, and know that you are, in fact, fully prepared and able to get through those last few miles. I find it helps newer runners to break the race into three pieces. First comes a nice and easy 10 miles, the part spent warming up and getting settled into a groove. Then comes a solid and steady 10 miles - you're at your steady pace, you're feeling strong. Last part is just a 10K. After dozens of training runs with double-digit mileage, a 10K is nothing. Looking at it this way helps avoid thinking that you'll never get through those last six miles.
Thanks for breaking it down this way. I never thought of it like that. That's an awesome way to think about it!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #4062
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
That's a bummer. I hope the Disney bibs are more resilient than I recall - I have been known to destroy race bibs accidentally on a half marathon.
If that happens, you can go back to the expo after the half and they will give you a new bib for the full.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #4063
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Thanks for your response! That makes me feel so much better. It's been very hard to get my runs in so I am going to need to drop down in mileage and I think this plan could help me! ...[snip]...
You're welcome! I guess the only thing you would need to figure out would be if you can fit in 4 days per week of running with Higdon instead of 3 days per week with Galloway...the trade-off being that most of your training won't be from your long run like it is with the Galloway plan. Good luck!!

Quote:

This is a great breakdown. I've heard something similar for a half marathon, breaking it up into a 5-miler/5-miler/5k. At least they will have a surprise at mile 20 this year (I'm hoping for tons of rare characters!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Yeah...I mean, I can totally see myself ripping it off when I get back to my room after the half without even thinking about it I can see why they do it though...this way they only have to pay for one set of bibs/b-tags for Goofy racers instead of 2 sets of bibs, 2 sets of d-tags and the bracelets. $$$$
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #4064
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
You're welcome! I guess the only thing you would need to figure out would be if you can fit in 4 days per week of running with Higdon instead of 3 days per week with Galloway...the trade-off being that most of your training won't be from your long run like it is with the Galloway plan. Good luck!!

IMHO, that's a good thing, not a trade off. The LOWER the percentage your long run is of your weekly mileage, the better off you'll be, 100% of the time.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #4065
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
IMHO, that's a good thing, not a trade off. The LOWER the percentage your long run is of your weekly mileage, the better off you'll be, 100% of the time.
Oh I completely agree. That's why I don't use Galloway plans anymore. I definitely get the appeal of them, especially for newer runners, but they just aren't for me.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: