Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #3991
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I did have a long run planned today but wound up nursing a hangover instead. Changed my birthday plans because DH had to work early tomorrow so we went out last night instead. Had a blast, hence the hangover. I did get in a one mile run just so I could get my birthday cake badge on nike running. I'm amazed I got that done, LOL!! Hopefully my best friend can watch the kids for a few tomorrow so I can get the real run in.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #3992
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

It's probably this weekend... there's something about it... I started out for my 15 miler with unrelated stomach pain and thought it would be fine once I started but I was oh so very wrong. By mile 5 I was sitting on a bench and mile 7 I was just sitting on the ground... by 7.5 I was home on the floor. I ended up just sitting for awhile then when I felt much better went out and did the remaining 7.5...

As of now, I don't know whether to be horrified or grateful that January is so close...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #3993
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Maybe it is this weekend! My 17 miler went okay today, but my husband's midweek run a couple of days ago went horribly. He ended up limping back to his hotel with lower leg pain that was starting to extend to the knee. He made an appointment with the sports med doc right away. He sees him this week. I hope all will be okay with that. It does feel a little better if he walks around on it. Needless to say he did not do his 17 miler today. Maybe our bodies are just trying to tell us to take it easy this week and enjoy the turkey dinner.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #3994
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

I'm reading all of these sad training reports and feel terrible for everyone and then reality sets in that I have the Space Coast Marathon next Sunday and haven't done more that a 13 miler in the last 3 months. Then in January I have the Dopey to complete.

So glad there's 7 hours for completion.

Good luck to all with the remaining time for training.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3995
robynslp
Mouseketeer

Anyone else ready for the taper? I did 16 miles today and I am so tired of my scenery. I nearly cried during mile 4. I decided to be daring and explore a little to try to get myself out of the rut. Seemed to work, I made it with decent pace for me.

I seem to be dehydrated now. I carried my Camelback (I run in the middle of nowhere) but only took small drinks at each mile trying replicate race conditions (sort of). I took gels and used 3 (too many?). What did I do wrong?

I didn't get a rest day yesterday. I have to get my runs in whenever I can because I have young children and a husband who works on call hours.

Discovered that compression socks aren't always good. My calves were killing me and not getting better. I pushed the socks around my ankles and was good to go. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I really enjoy hanging out on this board. I have learned so much!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #3996
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
Anyone else ready for the taper? I did 16 miles today and I am so tired of my scenery. I nearly cried during mile 4. I decided to be daring and explore a little to try to get myself out of the rut. Seemed to work, I made it with decent pace for me.

I seem to be dehydrated now. I carried my Camelback (I run in the middle of nowhere) but only took small drinks at each mile trying replicate race conditions (sort of). I took gels and used 3 (too many?). What did I do wrong?

I didn't get a rest day yesterday. I have to get my runs in whenever I can because I have young children and a husband who works on call hours.

Discovered that compression socks aren't always good. My calves were killing me and not getting better. I pushed the socks around my ankles and was good to go. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

There's plenty of water and Powerade at the stops so your sipping was not needed and could very well have caused dehydration.

How long were you out? Three gels could have been too many if you were only out 2 hours plus sipping too little water might not have diluted them enough. Some light solids in between gels can help, does for me but we are all different.

Compressions don't work for everybody. I needed them in this year's Mickey because I had an issue carried over from the 5K and Donald but other than that one time I do not use them. Just too tight.

I have the Space Coast Marathon next Sunday then some mile high Dopey training while in El Paso for a week taking care of 11 and 13 year old DGSs then will think about slowing down.

Good luck and there's still time to prepare.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #3997
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
There's plenty of water and Powerade at the stops so your sipping was not needed and could very well have caused dehydration.
I will mildly disagree about the sipping. I think fluid intake is a personal thing as to the "how". Of course, the "how much"has to be right! I am one who has trained with a water belt and found that one sip every mile is something that I could work with. It is regular enough to get in fluids, and not too much at once so I don't feel a sloshy stomach.

But the good work by robynslp is to try things out now during training. I'm sure you'll hit on the strategy that works the best for you.

To everyone else who is experiencing the training doldrums--this too shall pass. Just hang in there. You are not alone. Ok, enough cliches for now!

Had my first race nightmare last night. I was at the half marathon (and then the full) observing some race anomalies--like the course was off and the times were off. Then I realized "Wait, I'm doing Goofy. I should have just run that half!"

And if you want a training chuckle.....I am off to do 8 this morning. (That's my LR)

Maura
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #3998
Carolina Blair
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for all the support! Glad to hear that I am not alone, however, here's to success in future long runs for all of us. In the spirit of the season, I'm thankful just to be able to run and to be healthy.

Good luck to everyone doing LR's today!
1983-Offsite~1990-Grovernor Resort~1992-Offsite~1994-Caribbean Beach Resort~1995-Caribbean Beach Resort~2007-All Star Sports~September 2009-Saratoga Springs~December 2009-Pop Century~June 2011-Port Orleans FQ~October 2011-Boardwalk Villas~January 2012-Polynesian~September 2012-Boardwalk Inn

Next Up:

Disney Races: WDW 1/2 Marathon 2012/Tower of Terror 10 miler 2012
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #3999
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Yesterday was my longest run yet, 15 miles. The last 3 miles were kinda ugly lol. We ran at a reservoir, very hilly, branches to dodge, by the end I was sluggish for sure. My running partner did 2 more miles after I stopped! LOVE it! I am achey today but not as bad as I thought. December 1st is my 17 miler, I am going to start earlier, so it isn't pitch black when I finish!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #4000
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post

Is you course a loop or out and back? If a loop, run backwards. The 'change of scenery' will work wonders. Or look for a new track this week. It is not uncommon for a runner to get board with where they are running.

Adding to the hydration discussion, there is a difference between race day and training. Continue to carry your camelback in training to assure that you are hydrating. You say you feel dehydrated, but over hydration carries similar feelings in the first hour or so post run. Do yourself a favor and figure out your hydration needs over the next few runs. It is relatively easy. Weigh yourself before dressing for you run. Head out the door, preferable for an hour run. Note the amount of fluids drank during the run. Once you complete your run, disrobe and dry off then weigh. If you are lighter, you under hydrated. Heavier, over hydrated. The goal is to be within a percent of your starting weight. 1.5 - 2% creates issues. So as an example, if you ran for an hour, and drank 10 oz of fluids and weighed a pound lighter than when you started, you are under hydrating by about a pint (16 oz) an hour. For easy math, use 1 gallon = 8 pounds - or one cup = 0.5 pounds.

Try this a time or two to hone into the proper hydration rate.

With regard to hydrating on race day....

Some folk do find that the first half of the marathon water stop spacing is problematic. It is not a consistent 1 or 1.5 miles, it is random. For 2013 it is something like...

1, 3, 4.2, 6.3, 7.2, 8.2, 9.5, 11.8, 13.2, 14.2, 15.5, 16.7, 17.1, 18.2, 19.5, 20.5, 21.6, 22.8, 24, 24.9.

I found that when I was a slower runner the random spacing of the front half of the marathon was problematic. With the new course, I find the loss of 2 water stops along Bear ISland Road problematic if the weather turns warm on race day. All this to say, even today I will carry a throw down bottle with me for the first 12 miles just to make sure I have a sip if needed.

WIth regard to the calves, it may be time to have a doc look at you. It is highly likely that you may need to take a 2-3 week vacation from running to allow tissues to heal. Compression socks is not always the correct answer to the issue. It will help keep the muscle warm and supported so an 'itis' can have the opportunity to heal. They are really nice for recovery post run. There is one other alternative that can also be looked at - kinesiology tape or KT Tape. Get the correct tape (we called is stretchy tape) and flow the calf instructions and see if that helps. Those who tape swear by it. YMMV
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #4001
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I'm reading all of these sad training reports and feel terrible for everyone and then reality sets in that I have the Space Coast Marathon next Sunday and haven't done more that a 13 miler in the last 3 months. Then in January I have the Dopey to complete.

So glad there's 7 hours for completion.

Good luck to all with the remaining time for training.
I'm doing the Space Coast Marathon a week from today too, and my legs are really complaining from all the long training runs I've been doing over the past 1 1/2 months. I'm reminding myself I just need to finish the Space Coast Marathon alive and not try to do more than that. Do you know if they start the SCM in waves separated by 5-6 minutes like WDW races, or if everyone starts at once? With the course closing in 7 hours from the initial start of the race, the folks in the last corral (like me no doubt) won't have the full 7 hours to finish. I don't expect to need all 7, but I won't be that far off from it either.

After a 23 miler 2 weeks ago and the Wine & Dine Half last weekend, this weekend's 7 miles was much less miserable, but my lower legs are still griping and I'm never not tired anymore. I should've picked the "Finish upright" plan for the 2013 WDW Marathon instead of the "Time improvement" plan. Live and learn, I guess. Oops.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #4002
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

When does everyone typically start their taper for marathon weekend? I have my longest run set for December 18th. Just curious if im doing this correctly. Also, all my long runs have a run thats half the distance the day before (Goofy Training).

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #4003
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
When does everyone typically start their taper for marathon weekend? I have my longest run set for December 18th. Just curious if im doing this correctly. Also, all my long runs have a run thats half the distance the day before (Goofy Training).
I start taper Christmas eve, so 3 weeks out.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #4004
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

Yesterday's 6 mile morning run was fine but I got a case of the blues afterwards. I don't think I had enough fuel in my system and then seriously crashed. Even after having lunch, I still felt . Better today.

It's really raining now but I may put on my gear and get out there again. Nothing major, just to get out in the fresh air and get my legs moving. Here we go!

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #4005
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
I have a 20-mile run 3 weeks out, an 18 two weeks out, and then a 13 the week before. My weekday runs decline some in volume, and not at all in intensity. Not ideal for everyone, but it's what works for me.

John
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: