Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2581
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey2065 View Post
So I just called wdwirun and they were not able to give me a standard view at the animal kingdom,however I am able to get a standard view on the WDW website. The operator was telling me that she cannot guarantee that I will have marathon transportation if I do not book through Irun. Is this true???? Everything on the marathon website just says as long as you stay at a Disney resort you have transportation. The operator stated that the only way they can track how many buses disney needs for marathon is if you book through Irun. Please share your thoughts as I would like to book a room today. Thank you!
Pure sales ploy. They make money off the rooms that are booked through them. This irritates the heck out of me. I hate when misinformation is given and people make decisions based on trusting that the info they've been given is valid.

No, you don't have to book through IRun. You could book straight through Disney if you so choose and you will just get in the marathon busing line in the wee hours of the morning that we'll all be in. No one will know how you booked.

We're DVC members...booked our room via DVC. They have no idea that the reason we booked was because we're running the 1/2.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #2582
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Question for John VN or other veteran walkers: Should I taper near the marathon as I would with running? If so, what do you suggest? (I'm doing the Goofy.)
I taper mainly because I'm 62yo and the body is wearing out. Seriously, follow what you have done in the past. You have to judge for yourself by determining how your are attacking the Goofy. Both days hard or selecting one to go hard and enjoying the other. 2013 is my 3rd. Dopey in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I'm sure you can all do the math, but that is 3 foot steps per second. You can watch your seconds on your watch and count 1-2-3, 1-2-3 . . .

If you haven't worked with this before you will be surprised how much this dictates the speed at which you run. For my long races is is my single focus in the second half of the race. If my turnover (cadence) is on track, then my speed usually is too.
I count by 2s, right foot plants, for 10 seconds and times by 6. Typical 30/31 for 10 seconds yields 180 and when I am booking closer to 40+/- for 10 seconds.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #2583
mickeysgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I taper mainly because I'm 62yo and the body is wearing out. Seriously, follow what you have done in the past. You have to judge for yourself by determining how your are attacking the Goofy. Both days hard or selecting one to go hard and enjoying the other. 2013 is my 3rd. Dopey in a row.
Good lord...if your body is wearing out and you race walk at the pace that you've posted in the past ...I'm in serious trouble.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #2584
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I count by 2s, right foot plants, for 10 seconds and times by 6. Typical 30/31 for 10 seconds yields 180 and when I am booking closer to 40+/- for 10 seconds.
You don't do this in races though do you? I'm lucky if I can count to 3 in the last miles of a race. No way I can do any significant math.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #2585
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Thanks John VN! I won't come close to touching your times but I'm still hanging around the 13 min/mile mark at a 13 mile distance, so I think my pace is at least serviceable. My plan was to not press the 1/2 (within reason) and save up for the full. My biggest concern is injury during training, so hopefully it'll all work out!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #2586
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey2065 View Post
So I just called wdwirun and they were not able to give me a standard view at the animal kingdom,however I am able to get a standard view on the WDW website. The operator was telling me that she cannot guarantee that I will have marathon transportation if I do not book through Irun. Is this true???? Everything on the marathon website just says as long as you stay at a Disney resort you have transportation. The operator stated that the only way they can track how many buses disney needs for marathon is if you book through Irun. Please share your thoughts as I would like to book a room today. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
You do not need to book through Irun. You can just book through the regular Disney site. And you will have transportation. I've never booked through the special site - oh wait, I did once for the Wine and Dine Half because they actually had a better room rate. I can't begin to imagine how many DVCer's are there for marathon weekend using their points - tons!! No worries, you can book that standard AKL room on the regular WDW website!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Not true. I can guarantee you that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I booked using my DVC. If I cant get on the bus because of that, that bus is NOT moving. LOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Pure sales ploy. They make money off the rooms that are booked through them. This irritates the heck out of me. I hate when misinformation is given and people make decisions based on trusting that the info they've been given is valid.

No, you don't have to book through IRun. You could book straight through Disney if you so choose and you will just get in the marathon busing line in the wee hours of the morning that we'll all be in. No one will know how you booked.

We're DVC members...booked our room via DVC. They have no idea that the reason we booked was because we're running the 1/2.
This is so weird to me...stories of vouchers for marathon buses, only IRUN can guarantee transportation...so much incorrect information!

Just wanted to echo everyone else that you DO NOT need to book through IRUN, and they DO NOT take counts or anything for marathon weekend busing.

For the 2011 Princess Half, we booked through IRUN and got a small discount. No one took our names down, we didn't get vouchers to present to the bus drivers, nothing. We just got on the bus (to and from the expo and race) and everything was fine.

For the 2012 marathon, I booked 2 rooms - mine (renting points through a 3rd party website) and one through regular Disney reservations for my mom and brother with a room discount. SO much cheaper this way, and again - we took the buses to and from the race and expo with no problems.

They want people to be able to use this transportation, especially at the expo. It is open to EVERYONE, not just runners - they want to make sure everyone can come in and spend their money!

Book whichever way will save you the most money and don't sweat the buses. Every hotel is a host hotel that weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #2587
SPAM
DIS Veteran

Both races (1/2 and full) officially sold out. Goofy is at 99%.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #2588
SPAM
DIS Veteran

I take that back Goofy is now also officially sold out.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #2589
Lindsey2065
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for the great info!!! I figured that but just wanted to make sure after my phone call with Irun this morning!! I think the CM knew I was a little upset. The only reason I called them was to see if they were cheaper than Disney website but they were not. looking forward to my first marathon at Disney!!!
First Trip 1982 Fort Wilderness, 1989 Fort Wilderness, 1991 Disneyland, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2007 Disneyland, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2008 Fort Wilderness Cabins, 2009 Contemporary, 2009 Swan, 2010 MK and Western Carribbean Disney Magic Cruise, 2010 Carribean Beach, 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge, August 13, 2012 Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise, Completed 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon on January 13,2013!!! January 2013 AKL, June 15, 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #2590
mickeysgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAM View Post
Both races (1/2 and full) officially sold out. Goofy is at 99%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAM View Post
I take that back Goofy is now also officially sold out.
Is it my imagination or does it seem rather early compared to last year for a total sell out?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #2591
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey2065
All the buses care about in the early morning hours is if you are wearing a race bib. The buses in the morning are just for the runners. Later, the buses will bring spectators to where they can meet up with their runners.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #2592
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

Is it my imagination or does it seem rather early compared to last year for a total sell out?
I believe you are right. My memory from last year was that the races didn't sell out until October....

2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #2593
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Last year was mid-November.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #2594
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen
Last year was mid-November.
I thought November was when the 5K finally sold out...

Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #2595
lvvacation
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
What's you current base, what are your goals, how old are you and what is you injury history? Why not amp up intensity on the two shorter runs rather than add junk miles? I find that Hal's plans have worked well for most folks with 2-5 marathons under their belts and who are not looking for the pointy end of their age group. I would caution about just adding miles without understanding the previous questions.
I guess the reason why I was thinking of adding miles is because I would be dropping in weekly mileage when I start the program. I'm 44, have been running for 3 years, and since Jan I've averaged about 35 mpw. I have had a history with PF (not for a couple years though) so maybe it isn't such a good idea? I had only planned on adding an additional 6 miles a week (2 to each weekday run). My goals aren't really true goals, I would like to finish feeling good, and hopefully around 4:30.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: