Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #751
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
U-hauls only 26"? That shouldn't take very long. Careful, they may get trod upon by dwarves.
Seriously- does nobody get this joke? I was a) pouncing on a mistake by Tim and b) referencing a great movie. Anyone?? Is this thing on??
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Well, it finally happened last night. I figured it would be inevitable with all of the running that I've been doing and was bound to happen sooner or later. I mean, with all of the miles I've logged I knew it was bound to happen at some point. But it still sneaks up on you and hits you like a truck. I'm talking of course, about being hit by a truck. And the worst part - Evan was with me.

Evan has been showing renewed interest in running the Mickey Mile in January, so we decided to take a mile jog last night. The sun had already set and it was just starting to sprinkle, but he wanted to go anyway.

3 houses down from our house is a 4 way stop. We approached and I thought I made eye contact with the driver to make sure he saw us. Evidently, he looked right through me. Evan and I started across, and as I always do when crossing the street, I kept myself between him and the traffic. He was so excited to get running that when we were 3/4 of the way across the street (and directly in front of the truck) he took off running to the curb. And the driver of the Dodge Ram started to accelerate. He had already come to a stop right at the crosswalk, so there wasn't much gap between his bumper and my thigh. I heard his engine start to rev just as Evan jumped onto the curb, so I knew he was safe. I was able to get myself turned to face the truck just as it made contact. I smacked his hood with both hands, let out a very loud "HEY!" and started back peddling along with the truck trying to keep my feet from getting caught under it. He immediately saw me and hit the brakes, but not after pushing me for 3 or 4 feet. As I got to the curb by Evan, he was rolling down his passenger window and apologizing.

Truthfully, I was shaken up, but not angry. Evan was fine, and that was my main concern. It was dark and rainy and I know how the streetlights can play tricks on you in those conditions. And it's partly my own fault - I had grabbed a red fleece jacket because of the rain. Not exactly the brightest or most reflective choice. That's why I always wear bright white running shirts when I go out after dark.

The best part was that Evan and I finished his mile run, only stopping to walk a few times for about a block. He did it in 15 minutes. Not bad for 6 years old.
Close one. Glad nobody was hurt. It gets tough this time of year when the sun goes down so early.
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #752
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Well, it finally happened last night. I figured it would be inevitable with all of the running that I've been doing and was bound to happen sooner or later. I mean, with all of the miles I've logged I knew it was bound to happen at some point. But it still sneaks up on you and hits you like a truck. I'm talking of course, about being hit by a truck. And the worst part - Evan was with me.
Wow... glad you are ok. (You sure that wasn't Carl driving?)

How dare that person try to take out my nemesis! That is my job.

That is really scary! I hope it didn't scare Evan too much to have him stop running with you.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #753
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Just some running stuff. You wouldn't be interested.
True.

Quote:
Only if you're packing bacon. And have enough to share.
Not a bad idea... Show up to the run with 5 lbs of bacon for you.

Quote:
I use the runkeeper app on my iPhone. There are a ton of customization options, but I have it set to give me voice feedback every mile with my current time, split time, etc. Best of all, it's free.
Runkeeper app? I guess I have to DL that one too.

Quote:
Pushing that truck from Indiana to Connecticut would be a good workout.
Yea. You can come scrape me off the road in Indiana.

Quote:
Surely you're talking about me? My playlists may not be hard core thumpy thumpy ghetto rap, but it's still music.
There is other music besides hard core thumpy thumpy ghetto rap?

Quote:
Seriously- does nobody get this joke? I was a) pouncing on a mistake by Tim and b) referencing a great movie. Anyone?? Is this thing on??
I was wondering what you were talking about. I guess it wouldn't take too long to load up 2 26'' trucks.

The movie quote has me

Where is Mark when you need him?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #754
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Evan has been showing renewed interest in running the Mickey Mile in January, so we decided to take a mile jog last night. The sun had already set and it was just starting to sprinkle, but he wanted to go anyway.

3 houses down from our house is a 4 way stop. We approached and I thought I made eye contact with the driver to make sure he saw us. Evidently, he looked right through me. Evan and I started across, and as I always do when crossing the street, I kept myself between him and the traffic. He was so excited to get running that when we were 3/4 of the way across the street (and directly in front of the truck) he took off running to the curb. And the driver of the Dodge Ram started to accelerate. He had already come to a stop right at the crosswalk, so there wasn't much gap between his bumper and my thigh. I heard his engine start to rev just as Evan jumped onto the curb, so I knew he was safe. I was able to get myself turned to face the truck just as it made contact. I smacked his hood with both hands, let out a very loud "HEY!" and started back peddling along with the truck trying to keep my feet from getting caught under it. He immediately saw me and hit the brakes, but not after pushing me for 3 or 4 feet. As I got to the curb by Evan, he was rolling down his passenger window and apologizing.

Truthfully, I was shaken up, but not angry. Evan was fine, and that was my main concern. It was dark and rainy and I know how the streetlights can play tricks on you in those conditions. And it's partly my own fault - I had grabbed a red fleece jacket because of the rain. Not exactly the brightest or most reflective choice. That's why I always wear bright white running shirts when I go out after dark.

The best part was that Evan and I finished his mile run, only stopping to walk a few times for about a block. He did it in 15 minutes. Not bad for 6 years old.

Really glad that Evan was completely unscathed and that you're alright too. Other than the truck incident it seems like a really fun run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post

Runkeeper app? I guess I have to DL that one too.
If you both download it and are members of each others street teams you can look at each others past runs to see how fast and far they are.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #755
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
If you both download it and are members of each others street teams you can look at each others past runs to see how fast and far they are.
Oh snap! Barry and I would be on the same team? That seems like it would break the time space continuum.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #756
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Do you have a RoadID Barry. It might be worth looking into it. I know they are highly recommended for anyone that runs on roads.

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #757
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh snap! Barry and I would be on the same team? That seems like it would break the time space continuum.
You can just pretend is says street nemesi

Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #758
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:

I'm glad it wasn't any worse than that, and that Evan is ok.

Also glad the guy didn't try to blame you for being in his way.

Good run Evan!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #759
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Quote:
Ya'll are some thugs.
Yup. Holler.
Quote:
WHOO HOO! I have cred now!

I just lost it, didn't I?
You have 2 cheerleaders - I don't even have one. I think that gives you 84x the amount cred that I do.

Quote:
Well, it finally happened last night. ...
I'm glad that you are alright. In other news, I'm also really, REALLY sad that I was beat by a 6 yr old. Then again, I'm not allowed to run for at least another week so I have to walk my 3.3-3.5 miles a day until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
Ix-nay on the treet-say eam-tay alk-tay! We're keeping our cred to ourselves!

Seriously though, we should get a list of DDC runkeeper id's like the twitter/email/phone list we have on the other site.
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance
Rental01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #760
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Barry, I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm going to have to chew someone out. He was supposed to just go on by if any of the kids were with you.

Seriously though, I'm glad you're ok. That's a scary thing and it could have been much worse.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #761
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
I was wondering what you were talking about. I guess it wouldn't take too long to load up 2 26'' trucks.

The movie quote has me

Where is Mark when you need him?
Well, since Mark was here and didn't make mention of the reference, I will explain. In the movie This is Spinal Tap, Nigel St Hubbins made a similar punctuation error. It resulted in their Stonehenge stage scenery being about a foot and a half tall.

As a musical guy you'd appreciate this. Go to the 2:10 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #762
jmwest
DIS Dad #578
A little inspirational reading for anyone who gets discouraged. YOU CAN DO IT!

Quote:

YIKES! I probably would have flipped out. Of course, if you can't see me while driving you shouldn't have a license.
DDC Member #578

Me DW DD7 DD3 and DSnewborn
jmwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #763
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
Seriously though, we should get a list of DDC runkeeper id's like the twitter/email/phone list we have on the other site.
I really need to get on this other site you guys keep talking about.

Quote:
Well, since Mark was here and didn't make mention of the reference, I will explain. In the movie This is Spinal Tap, Nigel St Hubbins made a similar punctuation error. It resulted in their Stonehenge stage scenery being about a foot and a half tall.

As a musical guy you'd appreciate this. Go to the 2:10 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw
Wow... I should of had a beer or 2 before I watched that!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #764
that's nice
DDC #330

I think this is OK to post here....

So I finally signed up for the Gingerbread Run @ Give Kids The World on Nov. 3rd. If you'd like check out my first giving page HERE!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #765
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
I really need to get on this other site you guys keep talking about.
The Pub!

I think.

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: