Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby
 
mommytotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 134,947

Watermelon plants

Has anyone here ever grown watermelon? My daughter planted seeds one day, and I didn't even think it was going to grow. I planted the seedlings, and was confused as to what type of plant it was turning out to be. Finally figured out that it was a watermelon plant. I know that it will be a vine, and the plant will need a lot of room. Right now, I have it in my garden where there is no space for it to spread, so will have to plant it else where, and hope that it survives.

Does anyone have tips on how to take care of it, or any other useful info.?
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Has anyone here ever grown watermelon? My daughter planted seeds one day, and I didn't even think it was going to grow. I planted the seedlings, and was confused as to what type of plant it was turning out to be. Finally figured out that it was a watermelon plant. I know that it will be a vine, and the plant will need a lot of room. Right now, I have it in my garden where there is no space for it to spread, so will have to plant it else where, and hope that it survives.

Does anyone have tips on how to take care of it, or any other useful info.?
They need lots of water and I have never been able to grow a sweet watermelon. My soil mustn't have what it takes to produce a sweet one.

Good luck!
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby
 
mommytotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 134,947

Thank you for the tip. Do you know if you can move the plant once it is in the ground?
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Thank you for the tip. Do you know if you can move the plant once it is in the ground?
I know they do sell Pre started watermelon, cucumber and pumpkin plants. So with good care, cut the ground in a circle 3-6 from the base of the plant..water, wait a day or two then move it. Get as much root as you can. I think it depends on just how mature the plants are. You may have to wait to next year to harvest watermelon.
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby
 
mommytotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 134,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I know they do sell Pre started watermelon, cucumber and pumpkin plants. So with good care, cut the ground in a circle 3-6 from the base of the plant..water, wait a day or two then move it. Get as much root as you can. I think it depends on just how mature the plants are. You may have to wait to next year to harvest watermelon.
Thank you for the tip!
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.