Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #46
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePossum View Post
Hi Guys..

Just out of curiosity... Which ones were the host resorts last year and for the total newbie here.. Why is staying at a host resort a good thing?
I can only recall that the Beach Club and the Boardwalk were host resorts. Because that is where we stayed.

A benefit of staying at a host resort is those locations are the only locations where runDisney provides transportation to race events (the expo and races) to and from. RunDisney charters buses through Mears for shuttling race participants around for the duration of the weekend. That is part of the higher than normal race registration.

That being said, I know there were quite a few people that walked over from the Yacht Club and the Dolphin to join us on the Beach Club shuttle bus.

I have also heard of the food courts in host resorts (for value resorts at least) having a special "runner's meal" and opening extra early to accommodate racers and their cheer squads. That isn't so much the case with the Wine & Dine, as it is a night race, though.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
alexb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi Guys..

Just out of curiosity... Which ones were the host resorts last year and for the total newbie here.. Why is staying at a host resort a good thing?

I found a PDF on Disney's website for the 2011 W&D 1/2 and the host resorts listed were Boardwalk, Beach Club, OKW, POR, POFQ and all four of the All-Star resorts. If you'd like me to forward the PDF, please send me a PM and I can email it to you.
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #48
becky11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I found a PDF on Disney's website for the 2011 W&D 1/2 and the host resorts listed were Boardwalk, Beach Club, OKW, POR, POFQ and all four of the All-Star resorts. If you'd like me to forward the PDF, please send me a PM and I can email it to you.
There are only 3 All-Star resorts, unless they are including Pop Century (the other Value resort.)

I stayed at the Dolphin and walked to the Boardwalk for the bus. Easy peasy!

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
becky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

We are staying at POP before our cruise but I still need to pick where we will be on the night of the race when we get back... I would love to stay at the swan/dolpin but then ME wouldn't take us to the airport, right? Is there a way to wait on my return trip from the POP portion until the 11th even though we check out of POP the 3rd and still get the free ride to MCO...?

Alternatively does anyone know what a shuttle would cost if we couldn't? I'd love to stay within walking distance of Epcot so we'd have to pick between the BeachClub and Boardwalk if not the Swalphin, right? Which has the nicer pool?
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #50
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbride View Post
DH still wants to do the 5K in the morning, so I am thinking about doing both morning and night and sleeping all the way home the next morning!
I was talked into doing the 5k the morning of the half last year. I had to end up slowing my pace after mile 6 of the half as my legs were beginning to fade. If you are going for fun and not time not a big deal, but I learned that doing the 5k with a little park time mid day was too much even with a nice nap in the afternoon.

Quote:
Hi Guys..

The host resorts will provide transportation to and from both the expo and the race. The first year we stayed at AS Music and at the end of the party it took 2 buses before we got on to get back to the room. Last year we stayed at BC and I will now always stay at either BC or BW. You can't beat the ease of walking back to the room after getting a few drinks and snacks around the showcase.

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2)

2014: Jan - VGC, Mar - BLT
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #51
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

I really hope that they bring back the voucher for a drink and snack instead of the $10 gift card and the lame excuse for a drink right when entering the party. They have countless numbers of fantastic drinks to choose form in the party and they force you to choose bud or bud light as your drink! I guess they figure you will want something that tastes like water?

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2)

2014: Jan - VGC, Mar - BLT
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #52
alexb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky11 View Post
There are only 3 All-Star resorts, unless they are including Pop Century (the other Value resort.)

I stayed at the Dolphin and walked to the Boardwalk for the bus. Easy peasy!

Whoops...sorry about that. The 3 All-Star resorts were listed, Pop Century was not.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #53
Nole95
Mouseketeer

I am considering running in the Wine & Dine Half Marathon this year.

Does Disney usually offer any specially priced room packages for those participating in these events? If so, does anyone have examples from the past couple years as to what these special rates might have been for various resorts?

For example, at the moment a three night stay at that time in a regular king room at Port Orleans Riverside looks to be right around $700 for my wife and I. I know this was one of the resorts last year.

Are there usually any offers on theme park tickets or dining?
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #54
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Just got back from completing the Princess and can't wait to sign up for Wine & Dine. My parents stay at Boardwalk every year for Food and Wine Festival and convinced them to bump this years trip back just a little so I could run this one. Will be my first alone but they'll be there to support me.

The Princess was fun, not a PR, but felt better physically and mentally than after my first Half back in Nov. Was in Corral C and hope to bump up qualifying time in local 10K in the next month.

Thanks to all for info from prior year's races, keep it coming. Helps keep me motivated!!
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #55
byejou
Mouseketeer

I am in for the Wine & Dine in November. Planning to be there that week anyway since kids are on break from school. We will be camping this time at the Fort. Going in May for 9 days staying at AKV, so November is just a relaxing camping trip.

However, this is my first ever marathon!!!! I have been running for a year and just have not entered any races. I plan to just enjoy my run and finish with no time line this time.

Any tips around greatly appreciated.

DL 88 CBR 96 CSR 98 BWV 05 Wonder 07 WDW/SW 07 Wonder 08 CR/Wonder 09
BCV/Dream 11 FW/AKV 12 : FW 12 Dream/OKW/VB 13
byejou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #56
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Being new to this race, is this something you need to sign up for as soon as registration opens this month, or will spots be left a month or two from now?

I am still working on some logistical things before I know for sure I will be able to run this race. Chances are I will not be ready to register when it first opens.

Last edited by Nole95; 03-01-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #57
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole95 View Post
Being new to this race, is this something you need to sign up for as soon as registration opens this month, or will spots be left a month or two from now?

I am still working on some logistical things before I know for sure I will be able to run this race. Chances are I will not be ready to register when it first opens.
It should be open for a couple months at least. That being said, the Disneyland ½ (with more bibs for registration than last year) sold out in a month.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #58
Suited Deuces
Earning My Ears

Just saw the host resorts on the website:

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

No Port Orleans this year....that was always a favorite of mine.
Suited Deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #59
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suited Deuces View Post
Just saw the host resorts on the website:

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

No Port Orleans this year....that was always a favorite of mine.
Yep, saw that too. I was planning on booking for POR - but we've actually decided this is a good way to save some cash and booked at the ASMov. It'll be our first time to WDW (I went as a kid) - and we're not even visiting the parks! Should give us a feel for the layout and help us plan our 2014 trip!
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #60
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
Yep, saw that too. I was planning on booking for POR - but we've actually decided this is a good way to save some cash and booked at the ASMov. It'll be our first time to WDW (I went as a kid) - and we're not even visiting the parks! Should give us a feel for the layout and help us plan our 2014 trip!
Still a ton of stuff to do outside the parks and a great plan!!! With the start being at night, it can royally screw up any park plans anyway.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: